wildwindflower

Stupid things you've done on dc

There was this one time when I was looking for an egg, and I mistook the Chicken egg description for a generic pygmy. I am so mad I didn't grab it! I was on the Dragon Cave wiki looking at egg descriptions when I realized what I just missed.

I've made a ton of breeding mistakes, too. I've accidentally bred dragons with dragons from the AP that already had lineages in the works (I even told myself I wasn't going to breed them until I could continue the lineage they had in mind). Now I check twice before I breed (took me a while to figure that out)!

The most stupid thing I've ever done here, that is still bothering me, was doing some Christmas breeding at night when I should have been sleeping, only one or two years ago. Of course I ended up breeding a CB dragon to its child...

Actually, that wasn't the worst one. You see, one Halloween I was experiencing some real life problems and all my new eggs ran out of time and died. There were two incredibly kind people here on the forums that helped me by gifting some of theirs and I felt so thankful but I couldn't get myself to reply them right away instead of just grabbing those gifts! It makes me feel terribly bad when I think about it, though of course I apologised them later and did my best to let them know how much their kindness meant to me.

12 hours ago, ADaftlittlePunk said:

Completely forgot about my eggs and they all died.

this actually happened to me one Valentines Day! (2016, i think it was).... i got my two eggs - and promptly forgot about them. :( 

but i have those V'Day dragons now, so it's all good.

I bred my Prize for the last time before Halloween and didn't get the result I wanted. Okay, business as usual.

Then I started looking for interesting Halloween dragons for which I could still breed a last-minute mate, and found a 2nd gen Prizekin that I had completely forgotten about. I would have had a whole year to breed a perfect 2g Prize mate for her, but I never added her to my "breed mate before next Halloween" group! Noooooo!  XD  Well, there's always next year.

(Of course I also only started actually breeding mates for that group a few weeks ago, because holidays always come as a surprise...)

Just now, Confused Cat said:

(Of course I also only started actually breeding mates for that group a few weeks ago, because holidays always come as a surprise...)

me, too XD

On 3/15/2013 at 5:52 PM, Tayiadragonbite said:

i didn't do it but someone killed santa http://dragcave.net/lineage/C9hm was a cb holly too and now one of my 4th gen hollies is ruined sad.gif

Yo, I did that 7 years ago.

Was too busy to play this past week and have to deal with a bunch of things now. I had caught the last two CB speckle-throats I needed, but either I forgot to influence or one of them resisted because I needed a m/f pair and now I have two females, and they both grew up while I was away. A messy ke'maro that I meant to freeze also grew up. I wish I'd found just 20 minutes over the course of the week to get on DC and deal with those.

And I grabbed four more new Halloween lines that are going to need mates, bringing the total Halloweens I need to 102 because I have no self-control XD

1 hour ago, Amberfly said:

either I forgot to influence or one of them resisted

They don't! TJ took that part of code out because it never really worked anyway, he had said some time ago :)

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

They don't! TJ took that part of code out because it never really worked anyway, he had said some time ago :)

I never knew that! Guess it's all on me then lol. I never should have taken a hiatus; it left my game knowledge more full of holes than a cheese dragon.

I don't know if it's more or less stupid when I did it on purpose, but - I realized that silver Lunar breeding overlapped Halloween breeding, and went ahead and bred an egg for one of my Lunar lineages even though it's going to take up a slot on my scroll that will make Halloween trading harder.  (But I need it for my Lunar lineage; last time I bred I got no eggs!)  (But I also have lots of Halloween lineages to work on, and they can only be worked on right now!)

I guess the real stupidity is that I could have bred this egg three days earlier and had it incuhatched already, if I had just checked silver Lunar breeding before now!  😝

Went to breed a mate for my arcana/rift wyrm line, only to realize that I actually only have one CB female rift wyrm and it's related to the dragon I need to breed the mate for. I've been planning for Halloween since at least July. How the heck did I let that slip through the cracks?

Edit: Someone offered to breed me one, so I can at least fix this particular oopsie. I love this community :wub:

Edited by Amberfly

Haven't looked at the Halloween biome at all until now, got annoyed with the AP so thought I'd peek in on the off-chance I'd actually see a Kohraki for trade-fodder... Reflex-clicked and locked myself with a Desipis. 

Well, I just bred for a project while egg-locked and the result got auto-abandoned.

Silly me, I'd incubated four eggs, but misread the time left on one and it hadn't hatched yet. Somehow, I missed that there was still an egg with a huge hole sitting there and started breeding. With it being Halloween breeding season, I figure the chances of the lost egg even hitting the AP before it's too low-time to influence is pretty slim, so I'm not going to bother trying the "change the parents' names to say I want the baby back if possible" thing. It should be easy enough to replace once the parents are off cooldown.

I still feel stupid, though.

I forgot to influence my Halloween breeding project eggs. 🙃

Guess I'll see tomorrow if any of them are keepers. 

congratulations to me, i guess, on keeping my streak of doing the exact same stupid thing going for the fifth consecutive halloween. sometimes when i look at the lineage of a special egg, i get focused on the common dragon i will need to breed as a mate - and so i end up influencing the *holiday* egg the gender of the *common* parent.

this year i influenced both sa kin checkers i was

lucky enough to find in the ap the wrong gender. :dry:

(i was able to trade for some others that came to me as properly influenced hatchlings, at least.)

Edited by miaou

@miaou I feel your pain...

I truly didn't want to add yet another holiday checker to my ever-growing list of unpaired dragons, but I couldn't resist a great 5-letter word code I found in the AP. Then, what do I do? Of course, I manage to influence it wrong, and didn't even realize until it was grown. :dry: **** smh

Edited by Shala

Y____Y I put my newly breed SAlt eggs into hatcheries and went to bed, woke up to dead eggs...omg I'm so dumb....!

There goes all my eggs.....

I bred eggs on the 29th and figured I had plenty of time to get home on Saturday (I'm a poll worker this year, so I had to wake up really early and get home late for early voting), incubate and hatch them, and grab my Halloween CBs. Somehow, though, I completely forgot that DC time is three hours ahead of me, and not only did I miss the Halloween CBs by 20 minutes, I actually forgot to breed any of my dragons except for the 8 I did earlier this week. e_e

Whatever, I'll probably be able to grab CBs from the AP (I had to with Arcanas a few years back and it went well), and I'm sure the Halloween wall doesn't need more eggs anyways. But man, so easily avoidable. All I had to do was look at the timezones or remember just half an hour earlier.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:50 AM, miaou said:

congratulations to me, i guess, on keeping my streak of doing the exact same stupid thing going for the fifth consecutive halloween. sometimes when i look at the lineage of a special egg, i get focused on the common dragon i will need to breed as a mate - and so i end up influencing the *holiday* egg the gender of the *common* parent.

this year i influenced both sa kin checkers i was

lucky enough to find in the ap the wrong gender. :dry:

(i was able to trade for some others that came to me as properly influenced hatchlings, at least.)

Ahahahaha, I do this sometimes, too!   This year it was a pumpkin; I got so focused on remembering what gender Pargalus it was from, I went and influenced it as though it was a Pargalus.  😮

Thankfully I was able to bounce it through a friend's scroll and re-influence, but what a dumb mistake!  I was concentrating SO HARD so that I would influence it correctly, and then I went and influenced it wrong anyway.  Crazy!

1 hour ago, sorenna said:

Ahahahaha, I do this sometimes, too!   This year it was a pumpkin; I got so focused on remembering what gender Pargalus it was from, I went and influenced it as though it was a Pargalus.  😮

Thankfully I was able to bounce it through a friend's scroll and re-influence, but what a dumb mistake!  I was concentrating SO HARD so that I would influence it correctly, and then I went and influenced it wrong anyway.  Crazy!

i guess this is a not uncommon occurrence on dc :3 well done to you on catching your mistake in time for your pumpkin! alas, i am in the same boat as @Shala, not realizing what i'd done until they were hatched and gendered. all *five* of them this year!

22 hours ago, miaou said:

i guess this is a not uncommon occurrence on dc :3 well done to you on catching your mistake in time for your pumpkin! alas, i am in the same boat as @Shala, not realizing what i'd done until they were hatched and gendered. all *five* of them this year!

I guess it's fairly common!  Who'd have thought so many people could make the same error... so many times?  :P  I definitely have some "flipped checker" lineages on my scroll that weren't intentional; I just goofed on influencing the holiday egg that year and then figured I might as well breed it a mate.  :) 

And then yesterday I had a bizarre moment of brainfail and thought one of my Kohrakis had gendered wrong when it hadn't!  I looked at its gender, looked at its lineage, and went, "Oh, no!" and actually posted a trade for it as a 'misgendered hatchie' before realizing ten seconds later that it was the correct gender all along... no idea where my brain went during that episode!  :D  Cancelled the trade and named the hatchie so I couldn't "oops" again and end up trading it for freeze fodder.

Reflex-clicked a lurker hatchling in the AP and it grew up immediately when it hit my scroll. It's not a bad lineage but it's PB and I just...don't really do those and I know someone else would have enjoyed it a lot more than me but I'm stuck with it now.

Wrote "CB Pitfire" in my trade want because "we got adults a few days ago, so people will already have 2nd gens, so I have to make sure they know I want a CB".

(In my defense, four hours of sleep is not enough.)