Sign in to follow this  
dragonryaman

Mockingjay

Did you like the ending in Mockingjay?  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Did you like the ending of Mockingjay? Personally I thought it was really, really dark.

I was quite impressed by the turn Mockingjay took. It was worth plodding through the previous two in the series.

I think this book was more plausible, a more realistic portrayal of how the main characters would react to a world like Panem's (Gale running off at the end and Peeta never fully healing = awesome in that regard, bittersweet endings <3). Using non-military weapons as weapons, like the use of propaganda videos, is usually a plus for me too.

You say it's really dark, which is true, but did you think it was too dark? smile.gif

Spoilerness in some parts, highlight to read.

The ending of Mockingjay was just stunning for me, and I keep going back to reread the book. It's quite realistic, and "The Hanging Tree" keeps echoing in my head. I actually cried when I read the part about Prim, because it was so horrible, Prim dying even after Katniss had stepped in to save her in the first book. Drove the point home about war being horrible. I didn't quite get the part with Gale, though. Wasn't he fighting for District 12? Why the heck did he just vanish off to District 2? That was a poor tying-up of loose ends for me.

The bittersweet ending fit, though, after all that fighting to create a world where children could be safe. I'm glad I bought it. :3

Edited by ShaydraSilversky

I loved it. And i was on team peeta so thats a plus for me too. I think i may have almost cryed but i was sitting in english class so....

I feel the gales dissappearenced can be explained. Spoilers.

After prim was killed in the bombing fassion that gale and Betee designed, gale knew that katniss would never really be able to be near him without wondering if he was the reason his sister died. He admitted this before she killed coin. The job in district 2 was just the excuse he needed to start a new life.

omg i was team gale D: i didnt like it

and why did she give Snow's kids that punishment? she's supposed to be the GOOD girl.

but anyway, the rest of the book was awesome biggrin.gif

Excactly why Suzanne Collins is my favorite author. The "Good guy" isnt fully good. I would so vote yes to that.

I agree it was a bittersweet ending, but it mostly suited the book... except for the Capitol Hunger Games. I mean, wasn't the whole point (well, overall) to stop that? Just slightly contradictory. Apart from that, the whole series was great.

Edited by azaria

The Hunger Games for the children of Capitol people was, I think, an appropriate decision for Katniss even if it wasn't the "best" decision. She's emotionally damaged and did pretty much everything else in the book for revenge. President Snow has to die for that. Her hatred has to extend to the Capitol people too - they go along with the Hunger Games and willingly ignore the conditions in the districts; to her, they're easily just as guilty. She also already proved herself to be utilitarian and perfectly willing to kill other people anyway.

Edited by kadoatie

oh thats good xd.png

Well other than that, I was totally team Gale D: I thought that she should've chosen the friendt hats been with her a long time instead of the guy that was forced onto her by Haymitch.

oh thats good xd.png

Well other than that, I was totally team Gale D: I thought that she should've chosen the friendt hats been with her a long time instead of the guy that was forced onto her by Haymitch.

I doubt Haymitch would like that very much. Peeta wasn't forced onto Katniss by Haymitch, it's all the Games' and the Capitol's doing.

I don't think Katniss hated the Capitol that much. Remember when she defended her prep team against Gale? She said they were raised to not care about children being killed, and view it as entertainment; they were really 'innocent', if you could call it that. They didn't have the notion of caring for the dead from the districts because they were so pampered, until the 75th Hunger Games with the tributes they'd come to love.

My big sister thinks the reason Katniss voted 'yes' on the Capitol Hunger Games is because she was thinking over what Snow told her, about Prim's death being Coin's fault, and was already thinking of killing Coin. She only voted yes so they could proceed to Snow's execution without argument. And that Haymitch went along with Katniss's vote because he sensed she was going to do something. *shrugs* My sister's interpretation, not mine.

It was okay...I was expecting her to be the new president or be an official. Wasn't expecting Prim or Finnick to die, that took me by surprise. I think too many people died..& the ending was.....well...them having another hunger games (or are they not cause Coin died?), I thought that was a bad idea. I don't know, overall I think this book could have been better, especially the ending.

what does that have to do with choosing peeta over gale though, Shaydra? She still should've chosen the natural one, IMHO, not the one forced onto her...

But what's natural? Gale and Katniss' relationship started from necessity. They were pragmatic in all the textual meetups we get until halfway through Mockingjay - a little too late, I think, whereas Peeta is in LOVE with her from the start. No one forced Peeta to be in love with Katniss, and no one forced her to continue showing "love" after his abduction.

what does that have to do with choosing peeta over gale though, Shaydra? She still should've chosen the natural one, IMHO, not the one forced onto her...

It has nothing to do with Peeta over Gale, just saying that Haymitch didn't have anything to do with it. Anyways, love is weird like that, and the story isn't about free choice, it's about repression and war.

'The natural one' is debateable; the course of events changed who Katniss would've chosen. If she hadn't gone to the Games she'd probably be with Gale, but in that horrible society the districts were stuck in. The Games gave her a bunch of psychological whatchamacallits so she couldn't relate that well to Gale anymore, who was instead stuck in the mines.

EDIT: ninja.gif'd, and speeling fial.

MEH.

I see that I'm losing here.

But still, I was very much team Gale, they seemed to be very close friends from the beginning, and Peeta was just a crush. If the games hadn't happened, I'm sure that Peeta would have found someone else.

Even so, once the games began and Katniss found that she HAD to be with him in order to win, it felt kind of forced for her.

Which is why I like Gale.

Yeah, it was kind of forced, but that's how things ended up, all because of the Games. Gale certainly had no trouble 'finding someone else'. Remember, he said himself he 'lost track of the number of girls he kissed'. I was originally team Gale, but now I'm kind of meh as well, he got a little too violent for my liking.

I was hoping to debate about something other than the silly relationship stuff, like Katniss's choices, or Finnick. Poor Finnick. I wish we could've seen more of Annie, tbh.

Edited to add some sentences.

ok sorry.

Finnick was kind of enjoyable other than the fact that he first came off as arrogant...so anyways..I wish we'd seen more of Annie too sad.gif it was so sad.

NYAHHHH I want this book soooooo bad now. DX I just don't feel like paying money right this second. xd.png

You can throw all the spoilers you want at me, I'll read the end first anyway (I always do).

Through the first one I wasn't really on a 'team' but after the second I was for Team Peeta. xd.png I like Peeta better than Gale.

MEH.

I see that I'm losing here.

But still, I was very much team Gale, they seemed to be very close friends from the beginning, and Peeta was just a crush. If the games hadn't happened, I'm sure that Peeta would have found someone else.

Even so, once the games began and Katniss found that she HAD to be with him in order to win, it felt kind of forced for her.

Which is why I like Gale.

I felt the same way at the beginning but later on I began liking Peeta too. I don't mind too much that she ended up with him but I wish they didn't make Gale look so bad near the end, making him seem so blood thirsty & heartless. I think this book ruined his character. > < I liked him much better in the other books. As for Peeta, well he's not that bad but the whole "kill Katniss" thing was totally unexpected. Don't know what to make of that.

Yes. Very unexpected.

The Catching Fire Gale and the Hunger Games Gale was awesome. The Mockingjay version of him completely distorted him.

What do you guys htink about Coin, though? Did she deserve to die?

I'm not sure that Coin deserves to die. I fully agree with Katniss shooting her, however, because she has the kind of power-hunger (even if it's a bit restricted by her unwillingness to get personally involved) that eventually develops into places like the Capitol pre-Mockingjay.

@ Infinis: Have less moral stricture and it's all over the internet, heh. Or have slightly more moral qualms and just go to the bookstore, sit and read? smile.gif

I'm not sure that Coin deserves to die. I fully agree with Katniss shooting her, however, because she has the kind of power-hunger (even if it's a bit restricted by her unwillingness to get personally involved) that eventually develops into places like the Capitol pre-Mockingjay.

I never cared much about the love triangle, so never declared a "team" >> It's too reminiscent of screaming fangirls before Twilight.

ETA: Yes, they never invented the love triangle, but they plastered the "Team: x boy" all over. I apologize if anyone was offended - I was commenting on the connotations the word has for me.

@ Infinis: Have less moral stricture and it's all over the internet, heh. Or have slightly more moral qualms and just go to the bookstore, sit and read? smile.gif

Edited by kadoatie

Ah. Well don't go on and compare this to twilight, Kad, because I might get angry wink.gif

just kidding.

But seriously...I dont like things I like being compared to twilight D: and we're not OVERLY obsessing...

Sign in to follow this