Bantzville

Being Green?

Going green, to a certain point, is very good. As a crafter, I ended up throwing a lot of stuff away at first. After seeing a trash can literally filled with my waste from one day of sewing, I decided to save whatever I could from my various projects. My dad sometimes throws away pounds of paper at his work, so I use some of that paper instead of fabric for patterns. Fabric clippings are repurposed for soft dog toys, worn-out clothes are saved, etc. I also think it would be fun to restore a house, using as many things doomed for the dump, such as old doors and cabinets, etc., as possible without making it look recycled. It amazes me that people will take perfectly good, old cabinets to the dump instead of taking the time to make them look almost as nice as their replacements.

My view on "going green" is that we should reduce the amount of waste we produce, and just be smart with our resources. It will make things easier for humanity in the future, and, as the dominators of the earth, we need to be responsible with it. I'm not the type of person that will fall for the commercialized side of it, but I do like the practical parts.

This, ever so much this.

I am a crafter as well and I have several things I make out of recycled materials. My Halloween costume this year is being made out of various "trash" and recycled things as well.

It is amazing how many things that can be made with re-purposed and recycled items that are, in essence, new.

i like recycling, and do put some effort into it. but i thought i'd mention something i thought was amusing when i first heard it. at my school, my math teacher is in full support of wasting paper and has us write our notes however we wish and not worry about saving paper. my religion teacher is the opposite and works very hard to conserve paper. i thought it was interesting how different their view were.

I do nothing just to be "green". I always have other motivations, too.

How to sort your trash and how to dispose of it is regulated and if you just dump it somewhere you'll get sued and if you sort it wrong the company which picks it up will refuse to take it.

I don't have a car because it makes no sense for me. Everything I need is close by or easily reachable by public transport which is a LOT cheaper than a car (you have to buy the car, get insurance, fuel gets more expensive by the day and you have to rent a parking lot).

I get green energy and gas (for the heating). The first because they want to built 5! coal fuelled power plants close to me. So I thought: Being against it I can't buy energy from coal anymore. And I switched to green gas because the normal gas got more and more expensive when the green one will stay stable and even get cheaper over time.

I keep an eye on the origin of foods. If you want an apple why buy one from New Zealand when you can get the same sort grown in your own country? And it may even taste better. (I accidentally bought apples from France. They tasted horrible!)

What else?... I love flea markets! I sell stuff, I buy stuff and what I can't get rid of this way I donate to charity. That's recycling, too. biggrin.gif

From time to time I collect the trash on the side of the road to the company I work at. It just digusts me all this McDonalds crap and plastic stuff and it just gets more and more and I have to walk past it every day. (I do take roadkill to the side of the road because I don't want to witness how they turn into mush.)

I'm sure I do a lot more stuff you can consider "green" but as you see I don't do it because I AM "green".

Edited by Lilithiana

Not to sound pushy, but I think one of the most green things you can do is go vegan. The meat industry (and even milk and eggs) are so bad for the environment. Not only are cows such high producers of methane (a main reason behind global warming), and ammonia, but extremely costly to maintain. Raising animals for food is the main contributor to deforestation and water pollution, and taking up land for farms displaces wild animals and takes up their habitat. A lot more than just the ethics of eating animals goes into veganism, because farming really is destroying our planet in a way not many people are aware of. I highly, highly recommend people look up the reasons behind why farming is so dangerous for our planet, and consider going vegan too. I promise we aren't all the notorious pitchfork-wielders I'm sure you've heard of!

I recycle cans/plastic bottles, recycle what should be (plastic, paper, etc), take public transport to college, use only the electricity that I need/want to. I recycle what I can,  and at least my state does recycle. Not all do. 

I recycle and compost pretty much all I can, at home and work. The system's pretty robust where I am, to the point where people will actually yell at you if you don't recycle/compost or put it in the wrong bin because bins are so plentiful. I've been to other states where recycling isn't taken as seriously (though it's still done) and have carried my waste until I've found a bin. I take it pretty seriously.

I often feel really guilty when I overeat or do something I could have done much better for the environment so i've developed a sort of mentality to stop being so wasteful. So I sort of already reduce my carbon footprint by not buying things I really don't need (like a bag of Sensations crisps or too much meat.) That could include not taking public transport if i'm not in a rush and just walking the extra mile, instead. If I see something which clearly should not be so excessively packaged i'd also avoid buying that (like a plastic wrapped coconut because why even bother?)

I also try my best to recycle and reuse what I can but that can be difficult where I live since what can and cannot be recycled is dependent on what council handles it. For example, I don't think some plastics can be recycled in my area, which really pisses me off, thus the mentality for not overconsuming. Otherwise, I like to reuse old things such as those nice metal Lyle's Golden Syrup tins and old hollowed-out 330ml Fanta cans to hold stationary and all that (which is 'cool', according to my brother - I just like the aesthetic) since they work just as well as a pencil pot from WHSmiths, but cheaper.

There's probably a lot more I could be doing to reduce my footprint, though so maybe in the future i'll have a go at getting a 'green' contract for my energy (ensures that the electricity you use is from a sustainable/renewable source) or an electric car once they become more accessible and efficient to drive.

The only thing I do 'green' is recycle aluminum cans and bottles...  I consider myself a second-class Vegan...  Cows eat grass and I eat cows...  and many other meats and cheeses and even raw eggs and fish.

We used to recycle, but we heard a rumor that our local recycling plant just threw it away, so we tailed the recycling truck and...yeah, they drove it to the dump and just tossed it with the other garbage in there. We accused them over the phone, but all we got in response was:

"When do you want us to come pick up your bin?"

Nice.

We exclusively buy LED light bulbs, mostly because they last a lot longer, but they use less electricity so I guess that counts.

I bought a metal water bottle so that I could drink water at work without buying water bottles and throwing them away.

I stopped buying glitter because I heard it ends up in the sea and instead buy pearlex powdered pigments.

I hate how we throw away aluminum foil after one use, so if the foil isn't disgusting I take it and put it in my "clay-sculpture-making-bin" for random things like bulking out sculptures, covering lighter clay colors, and propping up pieces while they bake.

Overall I'd say I do a terrible job at being green. 😕