Bantzville

Being Green?

But apart from that: Saying that there isn't any global warming is no reason not to be green. Oil and gas are bound to stop one day, and than we'll need to have something different.

So there's definitely a reason to use alternative energy, because sun and wind and water will always be there - and if they aren't, energy will be our least worry.

Plastic is also made from oil, so looking for biological alternatives and using it more sensibly is only - sensible.

In some areas water might be no trouble at all (at least most of the times, I seem to remember that even England had trouble with a drought once), but in some areas there's the risk of drought. If water is excessevly used, this will enforce a drought in risky circumstances.

This. So much this. Population is growing, rescources are dwindling. It's a very simple equation when you come to think about it. We *need* to find alternative ways to do things *now*, because otherwise society will pretty much collapse in a scramble when things run out.

So regardless of what you think about climate change, common sense should tell you that some stuff still needs doing.

The South East of England has droughts *frequently*. We had a hosepipe ban that lasted for years. According to the Environment Agency the SE of England has less water available per head of the population than places like Syria and Sudan (both desert states). Yeah, we have a lot of rainfall, but we've got almost nowhere to store excess water, and a very high population desnity.

W/regards that advert people linked.... a) I found it rather funny, myself, and B) I certainly have never seen that aired as a serious ad on the BBC. I strongly suspect it was taken from a comedy sketch show. I doubt that it would have been cleared for braodcast as a serious advert, and if it had I would have thought the level of complaints would have turned it into a news item before it was pulled fomr the air.

Edit: Damn emoticons...

Edited by TikindiDragon

We have started to do some things which may or may not count as being green... I don't know that it particularly saves money, but it certainly has made us happier.

We started to grow and can/preserve our own foods. We paid (time and money both) into a farmstead that friends of ours bought. We all planted a garden there with beans, corn, cucumber, squashes, berries, etc, and we have canned the results to over-winter. They began raising chickens for eggs and meat, and next summer we will be getting steers and pigs from local people. We've also planted several fruit trees.

Recently we replaced our 25 year old air conditioner with one that runs cleaner, and replaced our water heater and filtration with ones which run cleaner.

If we can walk or ride bikes or a motorbike to the store instead of taking a car, we do.

We've started a compost bin out back to recycle our food wastes, although admittedly a lot of our food waste goes to the chickens if it's still somewhat edible. If it's moldy, then it goes to the compost instead.

I believe that people should do the things which make them happy. I'd like for more people to be a little more self sufficient, but some people just don't have the luxury. I'm sad that it's become a luxury to be a little more self sufficient. Making the switch, in the beginning, is expensive. Once you're up and running as sufficient, then it's not so bad but that starting out.... man it sucks.

I'm insanely envious that you are able to do that. I would love to be able to buy some land somewhere, build a home and use that land to attempt some self sufficiency.

I do have a small garden and this year we've grown carrots and potatoes. We tend to try new things each year. I've also got three blueberry bushes and half a dozen strawberry plants. It's nowhere near enough to keep us going, but it all helps. I trade some of my fruit and veg for eggs with a friend who keeps chickens.

A couple of years ago we put new heating in our home, it made a huge difference to our bills when it was combined with extra insulation we put in and last year we put double glazing in. We live in an old terraced house so our house was cold. Now it's lovely and toasty and our bills have dropped by a considerable amount.

We're thinking of having solar panels installed. In the UK if you live in a south facing house as ours is, you can get a grant to have solar panels installed on your roof.

I have to drive both as part of my job and as the parent of a mobility disabled child. It really isn't feasible to use public transport. However if it is just me on my own and I;m not going far, I will go on the bus.

I use cloth sanitary pads, and with both my kids used cloth nappies. I made my own washing detergent which pumps out far fewer chemicals into the drain than store bought. I compost, sort my rubbish. I recycle/upcycle clothing - I do that for fun really, you can get some interesting, unique clothes if you do that.

the job corps I am at is acutally one of the few green job corps.. All our lights in the school are motion lights.. so if no one is moving around the lights get turned off. The computers only work durning 8 to 4 and then the dorms are the only place were lights and what not get used a lot more.

We don't use any plastic items here and if we do they get recycled.. we actually have 4 huge dumpster like recycling bins behind the cafe and we have a garden.

I'm one of the few "go greeners" as I help out in the garden and I recycle all papers, cans, and plastics i can.

There really isn't much more I can do on campus though.

We're thinking of having solar panels installed. In the UK if you live in a south facing house as ours is, you can get a grant to have solar panels installed on your roof.

Incidently the UK government is also currently guarenteeing to pay a set price per unit of energy produced [that's produced - doesn't matter if you use it, sell it back to the network or waste it] for 10 years to everyone that has solar panels installed. If you've got the location, and can afford to get them done, it's currently well worth it.

Incidently the UK government is also currently guarenteeing to pay a set price per unit of energy produced [that's produced - doesn't matter if you use it, sell it back to the network or waste it] for 10 years to everyone that has solar panels installed. If you've got the location, and can afford to get them done, it's currently well worth it.

Interesting. I might have to look into it further.

Interesting. I might have to look into it further.

If you don't mind getting the information from a specific energy company we have a telephone number for energy micro-generation I can give you. They'd probably be able to tell you more than I can.

Not at all Tiki, I can check it out if nothing else.

hmmm I try to turn off the lights when I do not use them but mostly due to the wish of personal economy xd.png

and I do not want the earthworms to be fat and healthy! I am afraid of them!!!

The whole going green at least over here is nothing more then a money scan. At school there a 'green' group that tried to advertise a light bulb that was 'green' and it would save 15 cents more then your other light bulbs how ever they failed to mention its buying price. Going green with upgrating blablabla is a money scam. Nothing more nothing less. The recycling and stuff should be normal. The reason so many don't is do to the whole "Its helping the environment." and "Its green" because over here that means tree hugger and tree hugger's are not people you want to get caught up with.

All in all the whole green thing is a money scam. Nothing more nothing less. The trash about global warming is just to make you want to buy the 'green' things. Research about the earths poll shift and the suns increasing radiation. While yes we are driving a bit to much don't feed on the trash humans are only ones at fault. Yes we are but a max of 15%.

and I do not want the earthworms to be fat and healthy! I am afraid of them!!!

:< But they're so cute!

...Do I have problems? I probably have problems.

All in all the whole green thing is a money scam. Nothing more nothing less. The trash about global warming is just to make you want to buy the 'green' things. Research about the earths poll shift and the suns increasing radiation. While yes we are driving a bit to much don't feed on the trash humans are only ones at fault. Yes we are but a max of 15%.

So... decreasing pollution, using sustainable resources, lessening human pressure on the earth, and preserving biodiversity and natural beauty are all "monetary scams"?

There are more reasons to "go green" than climate change, you know.

Kazeko, it depends on how it is done.

Some people would have carbon dioxide defined as pollution. And in the process of making that definition, there are money scams. Hydroelectric is not classed a "renewable" energy source, despite the fact that it is eminently renewable, and that poor definition shunts more money to the less stable wind and solar.

There is some money scamming being done in those realms.

Going green, to a certain point, is very good. As a crafter, I ended up throwing a lot of stuff away at first. After seeing a trash can literally filled with my waste from one day of sewing, I decided to save whatever I could from my various projects. My dad sometimes throws away pounds of paper at his work, so I use some of that paper instead of fabric for patterns. Fabric clippings are repurposed for soft dog toys, worn-out clothes are saved, etc. I also think it would be fun to restore a house, using as many things doomed for the dump, such as old doors and cabinets, etc., as possible without making it look recycled. It amazes me that people will take perfectly good, old cabinets to the dump instead of taking the time to make them look almost as nice as their replacements.

My view on "going green" is that we should reduce the amount of waste we produce, and just be smart with our resources. It will make things easier for humanity in the future, and, as the dominators of the earth, we need to be responsible with it. I'm not the type of person that will fall for the commercialized side of it, but I do like the practical parts.

The whole going green at least over here is nothing more then a money scan. At school there a 'green' group that tried to advertise a light bulb that was 'green' and it would save 15 cents more then your other light bulbs how ever they failed to mention its buying price. Going green with upgrating blablabla is a money scam. Nothing more nothing less. The recycling and stuff should be normal. The reason so many don't is do to the whole "Its helping the environment." and "Its green" because over here that means tree hugger and tree hugger's are not people you want to get caught up with.

Dunno how much the bulbs are your end of the world, but over here in the UK the energy-saver bulbs are easily a quarter or less of the price of their equivalent old-school bulbs.

And yes, the initial outlay is more expensive, but you do recover the cost within a year and so in the long run they are more efficient for your money. They also (in my experience only mind) are more reliable and last longer; I've yet to have an energy-saver bulb blow on me.

In all though, no. 'Going green' is not a scam, as an entire project. Some parts do seem wildly expensive and not everyone has the right idea sometimes, but the idea of creating a 'green' society is an admirable one that should be supported better.

So... decreasing pollution, using sustainable resources, lessening human pressure on the earth, and preserving biodiversity and natural beauty are all "monetary scams"?

There are more reasons to "go green" than climate change, you know.

I agree with you completely.

It's not hard to see that we the human race are putting a lot of pressure on our planet and if we want to protect it and ourselves we can't keep living in a world where we don't take any responsibility for our actions because that's only going to lead to disaster and deaths that could have been avoided. Doing nothing now and allowing people in the future to die due to our in-action and ignorance is unacceptable.

Dunno how much the bulbs are your end of the world, but over here in the UK the energy-saver bulbs are easily a quarter or less of the price of their equivalent old-school bulbs.

And yes, the initial outlay is more expensive, but you do recover the cost within a year and so in the long run they are more efficient for your money. They also (in my experience only mind) are more reliable and last longer; I've yet to have an energy-saver bulb blow on me.

Curious--are these the compact fluorescents?

On my end of the world, before virtually all incandescents were forcibly removed from store shelves, they were perhaps a dollar for four. A good one would last many years; there are several in my house that are just as good as the day they were bought seven years ago. (Some incandescents have lasted decades.)

On the other hand, I also have curly bulbs. They take a horridly long time to warm up and actually shed significant light, the light they do shed is terrible, they cost $25 dollars for three, one of mine burnt out a month in, and if they break, I'd have to quite literally call in a cleaning crew because these allegedly environmentally friendly bulbs are packed with dangerous levels of mercury and cannot be disposed of by mere mortals.

So they are cheaper to run. Any costs they recoup would likely be offset by the costs of proper clean up should one break, and in the mean time, they suck. They really, really suck.

They are also useless for heat, which might sound odd, but it's actually something worth considering; incandescent lights are both a source of light and heat, which saves money on heating bills. Many people don't think of that, but it does work out that way. The energy used to power the lights is hardly being wasted if it is being used to stay warm as well. I know in cold months I don't have to use a heater in my room as often because my computer is warm--it serves double duty, as it is being used when I have it on most of the time. Incandescents do that also, compact fluorescents don't.

Truth be told, I wouldn't have a grudge against curly bulbs at all if I had a choice about using them. I really resent the government telling me I can't buy inexpensive light bulbs that I like much better that in my experience last just as long and won't both poison my house and drain my bank account if one breaks.

Anyhow, on a more general "green"-ish subject:

<-- UC Berkley professor Richard A. Muller discussing at length some interesting topics. Mainly global warming treaties, shale gas, the role of developing countries, and climate science. He's very level-headed and practical about it, not at all judgmental. He's all for environmental responsibility and what-not. He just thinks people ought to be smart about it.

It's not hard to see that we the human race are putting a lot of pressure on our planet and if we want to protect it and ourselves we can't keep living in a world where we don't take any responsibility for our actions because that's only going to lead to disaster and deaths that could have been avoided. Doing nothing now and allowing people in the future to die due to our in-action and ignorance is unacceptable.

You don't think people are, generally, being at least somewhat responsible about environmental issues? "We" take responsibility. Maybe "we" don't bust ourselves back to pre-industrial times, but "we" do take responsibility. The air in Southern California is much cleaner today than it was 30 years ago. I am not just saying that; I know it is true, I grew up here and can remember what the air was like then. The US and UK are actually quite low on the pollution scale. We have really cleaned up our act. We don't need to strangle ourselves over it all, though.

You might be interested in watching the video I linked to for information regarding what would happen to China and India if those countries were to cut their emissions to the levels that the US and UK have, since you say you are interested in the lives of future generations.

(Edit: Giving up trying to make the link look pretty)

Edited by Princess Artemis

You might be interested in watching the video I linked to for information regarding what would happen to China and India if those countries were to cut their emissions to the levels that the US and UK have, since you say you are interested in the lives of future generations.

The main thing is if they "were" to cut emissions but the fact is they're not going to any time soon so there's no point even considering what would happen if they did.

You understand why they won't cut emissions to the levels the US and UK are at now? It's just curiosity; not everyone does, I'm not assuming you don't. I do know many people who were aware of why the Copenhagen treaty attempt fell through were not aware of the particulars of why.

I really rather think the main thing is not "if they were" but what is really happening. China and India cannot. There are ways for the US to develop its own natural resources in a way that might make it possible for China and India to do something like that. Currently, however, we are not. We are no where near it. The US is too busy chasing down expensive, unreliable energy like solar and wind, while trying to brook impossible and pointless deals like the Copenhagen treaty.

And no, cleaner, cheap energy isn't the only "green" thing, but it's certainly a sizable one, and if developed, it would help pretty well everyone and hurt virtually no one while significantly reducing our impact on the environment.

I don't think people realise just how wonderful fossil fuels are and that regardless of the environment it's probably good practice to save some up.

My family doesn't recycle as much as I would like, but we do reuse everything we can. smile.gif I do my best not to waste paper or electricity.

I try not to have the water running while I am brushing my teeth or when I am washing dishes (and then I go and take a 30 minute shower).

I do have those "green" lightbulbs and I recycle most of the paper I can, cardboard and whatnot, as well as all my bottles.

We use solar for our heating system and when it becomes available here also for our electricity.

I expected this to be either about Kermit the Frog or about the environment. xd.png

Seeing as it's the latter, I try to be green by biking/taking public transportation, sorting compost/recycling/garbage, bringing my own bags for grocery/my own mug for coffee, and drinking tap water instead of bottled water. Little things :3

It's obviously very important but not to everyone...

Have you seen the streets? They're so polluted and full of trash and smelly what-evers. There are people throwing paper and anything in the trash bin, using up energy, taking long showers; it doesn't seem like much is being done, or that many care. My biology teacher thinks that "Earth will fix itself". I don't know. :c

Edited by Dauntingale

Technically, yes, the Earth is a very capable system which is always striving for equilibrium. As George Carlin put it, us adding plastic to the Earth doesn't ruin the Earth. The Earth will find a way to go from "Earth" to "Earth + plastic". I'm sure the Earth will live past this and find a way to 'fix itself'.

It's living creatures that are going to be in trouble from pollution. ;3