tyto_alba

What is/are your favorite book(s)?

Your right. It was The Dark Materials. I've read and enjoyed all the books in that series.

Yes the The Dark Materials series, lurved that series....

Totally X3

Oh, and how could I forget the Deltora series by Emily Rodda!?!? It was one of my favorites since...second grade! [Yes I read that during second grade...]

I can't choose just one, but here's my crème de la crème:

The Lord of the Rings J.R.R.Tolkien

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams

The Fifth Elephant Terry Pratchett

From the Dust Returned Ray Bradbury

He Shall Thunder in the Sky Elizabeth Peters

Calamity Town Ellery Queen

The Last Hero Leslie Charteris

Origin in Death J.D. Robb (aka: Nora Roberts)

I really only read series but my favorites are:

The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

The Anita Blake Series by Laurell K Hamilton

The Fever Series by Karen M Moning

The Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher.

I can't choose just one, but here's my crème de la crème:

The Lord of the Rings J.R.R.Tolkien

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams

The Fifth Elephant Terry Pratchett

From the Dust Returned Ray Bradbury

He Shall Thunder in the Sky Elizabeth Peters

Calamity Town Ellery Queen

The Last Hero Leslie Charteris

Origin in Death J.D. Robb (aka: Nora Roberts)

I've read the first of Robb's In Death Series and it was good. There was quite a lot about it that I didn't like and that felt off to me but my friend assured me it gets better as the series goes on.

Speaking of Cornelia Funke, I like the Inkheart series. happy.gif

I tried reading Inkheart. It's a long book, and long books are difficult for me to read.

But what I did read was good. X-D

I read Inkheart, it took me forever to read it and then I tried reading Inkspell and couldn't make it past the first pages. :/ I did like Inkheart, it just wasn't an easy read for me. I kept putting it down to go do other things.

Speaking of Cornelia Funke, I like the Inkheart series. happy.gif

I like the Inkheart series too. I read and enjoyed all the books in that series.

I really liked Inkdeath, the last book in the Inkheart trilogy. Inkheart was okay, but I didn't like Inkspell that much. And [highlight for spoilers] I didn't like how Maggie switched to that other boy.

I've read the first of Robb's In Death Series and it was good. There was quite a lot about it that I didn't like and that felt off to me but my friend assured me it gets better as the series goes on.

It did get much better. The characters got much more rounded. And the mysteries themselves are wonderful. I love mystery and suspense and the series has both.

I also like reading between the lines and finding out what movies & TV shows she's been watching. (Supernatural seems to be the current favorite.)

For me it was the exact opposite for the Anita Blake series. I really liked it to start with. The main character and even the secondary characters grabbed me and kept me riveted to the story, but after the 4th or 5th book I stopped liking it and Anita's character, and the fun secondary characters were dropped in favor of ones I didn't care much for, so I eventually dropped reading the whole series.

My biggest problem was all the sex and how much it bogged down the pace of the story. Plus the whole vanishing story plots.

I haven't read Anita Blake myself, but I think that's a very common complaint. Where exactly the series becomes "unreadable" changes from person to person, but just about every critical review mentions that the series goes downhill into plotless sex and fighting.

I'm super loyal to the Harry Potter books, because they pretty much were my whole childhood. I really like some of Agatha Christie's books now, though.

The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and of course, the Harry Potter books are also among my favorites.

Into The Land Of The Unicorns by Bruce Coville.

I don't remember it anymore, but I absolutely loved it when I was younger. I should probably reread it, but it's a children's book and should probably only be read by children to actually appreciate it. I think if I read it now I would think that it sucked and that might ruin my childhood memories of it.

Even though I don't remember it, I still think it's my favorite book because I've never liked a book as much as I liked that one when I was younger.

Too. Many. To list.

But here are a few samples of favorites of mine, off the top of my head.

• Pride and Prejudice

• The Princess Bride

• Outlander

• Howl's Moving Castle

• The Unbearable Lightness of Being

• Peter Pan

• Sunshine

• To Kill a Mockingbird

• The Sookie Stackhouse series (yes, all of them! X3)

• So. Many. More.

~Feathers

I haven't read Anita Blake myself, but I think that's a very common complaint. Where exactly the series becomes "unreadable" changes from person to person, but just about every critical review mentions that the series goes downhill into plotless sex and fighting.

Yep. I got annoyed fairly early on and then heard others gripe about the same thing.

Such a shame, too, because without the pointless sex, she really was a good writer.

@ feathers: great list! smile.gif

Too. Many. To list.

~Feathers

I've read To Kill A Mockingbird. I enjoyed it, and I probably need to reread it.

I've seen the movie Princess Bride, and considered reading the book. Is it as good/better than the movie?

I've seen the movie Princess Bride, and considered reading the book. Is it as good/better than the movie?

Not better. Not worse. But it is really good in a different way. You really should read it, it is a good book. smile.gif