tyto_alba

What is/are your favorite book(s)?

blah, I have a favourite series kind of like that - not written very well (it was written for lovesick teenagers), but it still pulls at me, even while I laugh a bit at the wording or grammar. It's the Tiger's Curse series by Colleen Houck. Still one of my favourites though.

Also faves -

The Troy Series by Sara Douglass.

The Firekeeper series by Jane Lindskold (can't tell you how many times I've read these books)

The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery and her son

The Acorna series also by Anne McCaffery

The Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey

The Elemental Masters series also by Lackey

There are more, but those are the ones that came to mind first.

Anything but Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin is AWESOME.

IndyDragon - I'm going to look up The Book Thief at my library. tongue.gif

One book? So not happening, since I read various types, mainly history books. Hmm, if I need to pick one, it would have to be I, Claudius by Robert Graves.

I love reading...

my favs are

The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Coliins

Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan

Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan

The Kane Cronicles series by Rick Riordan

Pegasus and the flame series by Kate O'Hearn

I'm reading divergent atm... and i love it allready happy.gif

Have you tried the Crystal singer books, Ship who sang series and Powers That be series by Anne McCaffrey, Katzyn? All are pretty great

I love science fiction and fantasy. Andre Norton is good, as is Ursala K. LeGuin.

Reading one of the Mercedes Lackey Five Hundred Kingdom series books at the moment, Beauty and the Werewolf.

(in reply to the first post)

YESS!!! I recently read Watership Down by Richard Adams, And I totally wish my teacher let us read that instead of this other book... that you have read too (To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee). I think it's definatly worthy. They used to let kids read that sad.gif

also, I too like/have read these books, not that you probably care...

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

East by Edith Pattou (!!!! biggrin.gif )

I really want to read this series, but my library only has the second sad.gif

Tithe by Holly Black

Valiant by Holly Black

Ironside by Holly Black

I didn't even know these were books! I've only seen the movies!

Castle in The Air by Diana Wynne Jones

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Dark Crystal (novelization) by A.C.H Smith

I used to own this book, but, sadly, I never got around to reading it. now it's too late: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

And since we seem to have similar tastes in books, i will check out some of those other ones biggrin.gif

now, MY favorite books are:

The Tremaris trilogy by Kate Constable

Septimus Heap (series title, also main character's name) by Angie Sage... all the others I've already mentioned wink.gif

The Beguilers, Wildwood and Floors are all books that are in my 'really like' list, but Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan is my top favourite.

Some of my favorite books are:

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Plague by Albert Camus

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

Right on...I do not have any one particular favorite. That tends to bounce around, depending on my mood and whenever a new book comes out in a series.

Here are some of my top favorites:

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (definitely nostalgia)

Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George Martin

Earth's Children series by Jean Aul

Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

*Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

*Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Anything by Cassandra Clare (the Shadowhunter Chronicles)

The Hatchet

The Island of the Blue Dolphins

Holes

Other books/series/authors I enjoyed but haven't read them all:

Redwall

Dragonriders of Pern

The Golden Compass

Edgar Allan Poe

Canterbury Tales

*Goosebumps!!!! Hahahaha

Books that "changed" me:

Harry Potter

Edgar Allan Poe

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

I'm probably forgetting some but I can always go back in later and include them.

Edited by purplenewt

At the moment, my absolute favourite book has to be Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice. <3

Amazing protagonist? Check. Social commentary? Check. Sentient spaceship AI? Double check! I haven't read the rest of the trilogy yet, but this book had pretty much everything I was looking for.

Pride and Prejudice

Brothers Grimm Fairytales

Summers at Castle Auburn - Sharon Shinn

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones

Book of Enchantments - Patricia C. Wrede

I can't read anything for long periods of time because it gets exhausting with my dyslexia but however I did manage to read a series of books called The Nine Lives of Romeo Crumb by L. Rifkin. It's a book about cats, kind of like Warriors but takes place in a city. I picked it up from the school library in 6th grade and then couldn't put it down. I think that has to be my favorite series.

Edited by Silverwinter

The Host by Stephenie Meyer is really good! Just finished it and I enjoyed every part of it! smile.gif

I just finished reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. It's a both beautiful and heartbreaking tale, definitely worthwhile to read.

I, without a doubt, consider the web serial Worm by John McCrae (Wildblow) to be the best book I've ever read. I was put off as first by just how long it was (1.7 million words), but this year I decided to go for it, and it was worth the 5 months.

Fair warning to prospective readers, Worm is pretty heavy on the grimdark. Expect nightmare fuel, as well as some body horror/gross things, and some things that certain people would call "trigger content" (funny, since something called a Trigger Event is a fairly large part of the universe). But despite all this, it has a great plot, interesting characters and abilities, and quite a few awesome moments/scenes.

Edited by SogYothoth

I've studied some texts by Irwin Shaw and really fell in love with his style. What is the best his book to start?

Headtaker by David Guymer is my favorite novel. It's a Warhammer novel about Queek Headtaker, a mad rat man who takes people's heads! This book made him my favorite Warhammer character by far!

I would love to read something similar like Kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss! I loved first and second book... But when will the third part come out? 😭

I also enjoyed Infernal devices by Cassandra Clare. Was crying three times while reading last book. 😥

I read far too many books to have a favorite but some I've enjoyed recently are Secretariat by William Nack, and quite a few true crime books by Ann Rule and mystery novels by varying authors. I can't have a favorite when I read about a hundred different books a month, to be completely honest.

My all time favorite is the Tortal books by Tamora Pierce. I have read, reread and then bought the series to reread again and again.

In order there is:

1- Song of the Lioness quartet:

Alanna: the First Adventure

In the Hand of the Goddess

The Woman Who Rides Like a Man

Lioness Rampant

2- Immortals quartet:

Wild Magic
Wolf-Speaker
Emperor Mage
The Realms of the Gods

3- Protector of the Small quartet:

First Test

Page

Squire

Lady Knight

4- Trickster duology

Trickster's Choice

Trickster's Queen

5- Beka Cooper trilogy

Terrier

Bloodhound

Mastiff

Mine are:

Abigel by Magda Szabo

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

1984 by George Orwell

The School of Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto

Geisha: A Life by Iwasaki Mineko

Edited by Androsama

My favorite books are:

The Inheritance Cycle

The Harry Potter Series

American Sniper

The Red Circle

and...

On 3/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, YATA-GARASU said:

I'd really love to read Lord of the Flies, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Animal Farm, but it's very hard to find English books in Japan :')

You can probably find those books online as pdfs or buy them on kindle (you can get the kindle app on your computer), though I am not sure if you can do that in japan as I've never been there but that's what I do here in America. I've actually read Lord of the Flies, Fahrenheit 451, and Animal Farm. They are classics though they aren't really my cup of tea.