tyto_alba

What is/are your favorite book(s)?

~Merged~

All the books written by J.R.R Tolkien

All the books written by J.K Rowling

Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, Inheritance (This is a whole series)

Hunger games

Oh, it's so hard to choose one favourite book. I'd have to say The Lord of the Rings, I guess, because I have read it so many times, and read books about the book, and watched the movies over and over. It never ends.

However, as I say, I love many other books as well.

I'll say only one of them. "Manual German War" collection of B. Brecht poems mostly about against war.

all of the Twelve Kingdoms boks are completely fantastic, i love them to pieces

then glue them back together and love them all over again

I have read a lot of books, and I'd have to say that my favorite is Watership Down by Richard Adams. I love this book, and everything about it. (:

Did you just say...Watership Down?! Holy crackers, I LOVE that book! It is the most awesome book ever, packed with adventure and action! And it was supposed to be meant for children too! xd.png Bunnies!

My other favourites are Mind Game by Christine Feehan, The Probability Of Miracles by Wendy Wunder, Travelling Backwards by Toby Forward (yeah, I know, right?), Remember Me and The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. If I could, I would name a few others, like Inkheart for instance, but as I haven't read it yet, I can't say for sure. It looks pretty promising, though. Too bad I read each of my books one-by-one and don't skip any...unless I'm bored and want to try something else, I'd flip through a random book but I don't actually continue from there... Can anyone even understand what I'm saying? Never mind...

Oh, and I almost forgot another favourite of mine: The Owl Keeper by Brodien-Jones! Such a good book, with mystery, adventure, and action! biggrin.gif And a little bit of suspense added too. ^.^

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Did you just say...Watership Down?! Holy crackers, I LOVE that book! It is the most awesome book ever, packed with adventure and action! And it was supposed to be meant for children too! XD Bunnies!

Yeah, I love Watership Down. I read it once a year for almost four years in a row. I didn't read it last year, though, so I'll probably read it sometime in the near future. X3

My favorite books were all written by David Eddings~ >///< He's been my favorite author for 13 years - he started my fantasy literature obsession when I was 12 and I love him for it.

Belgariad - Very diverse characters, incredibly witty humor (Dave was famous for this), captivating plot even if it's cliché.

Malloreon - Same characters as above, but matured (Garion was 16 by the end of Bel, and 30 by the end of Mal).

Elenium - Diverse and interesting characters, humor is slightly darker (nearly reaching gallows' status), and the overall story and atmosphere are more mature than Bel/Mal. Comes with a nearly completely adult cast, with the main characters being at least in their early 30s (Berit and Talen are exceptions). The main villain Martel is my top favorite character in any fantasy book.

Tamuli - Has the same cast as Elenium, but this takes place six years later and has different villains. One of my favorite witty moments actually happens in this series - Itagne and his "Professor Balderdash" comment. xd.png

I've read many wonderful books (mostly for school), but I'll just name the few that I liked the most for their artistic reasons. (I am excluding all the cheesy Sarah Dessen coming-of-age novels for teenage girls because they are really more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey is fantastic and my number one favorite at this time. It has very relevant themes, and the subject matter and writing style really struck a good chord with me. I enjoyed it so much, and the movie version starring Jack Nicholson is good fun! I really enjoyed how the symbolism was presented, and the meaning behind the text was easy to understand while still being a very engaging piece of literature. I became highly attached to many of the characters.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is mind-blowingly cool. It was written and published clear back in the 1950's, but it is detailing today's world down to some of the most minute pieces. I have never read a book more relevant to one of today's biggest issues: technology, media, and entertainment, and how it can rot a society from the inside. It truly blew my mind how well Bradbury practically predicted the future, and if Bradbury's whole story is to be followed, then we are looking forward to some very interesting times. I highly recommend that everyone reads this who has not read it already.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a strange piece for me to talk about it. It has a lot of high esteem and high acclaim, but I feel like all its hype is centered around the wrong reasons? People think only "hipsters" can appreciate it, but that's total crap. It's a wonderfully crafted piece of literature that addresses the American Dream and dreams in general. It's a very pessimistic piece, but some may call it realistic underneath all the totally fabricated and hyperbolic jazz age and roarin' 20's setting.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is another weird one to talk about. It's also lumped into the "hipsters only" category, and that annoys me. I simultaneously loved and hated the protagonist/narrator, and that is a bit rare for me. I related to Holden, but at the same time, I told myself that I would never act like him. My memory of this is quite fuzzy, and I feel a bit ashamed since I had enjoyed it so much! I just really liked its social commentary, and I enjoyed the writing style.

The Stranger by Albert Camus is a beautifully crafted novel heavily based around the themes of morals and moral ambiguity. The story shocked me in a strange yet almost tantalizing way, and I found myself wondering what would happen with every turn of the page. The protagonist/narrator is such a strange and interesting man, and it is rather refreshing to see the world through his eyes because he sees everything so differently than "normal." I could absolutely see why this novel was chosen for the AP Literature and Composition course. (That and the L'etranger is a weapon in Team Fortress 2, and I have fallen deeper in love with Valve for putting such a tasteful literature reference in their game.)

Finally, I will mention The Road by Cormac McCarthy. This is a more contemporary piece, and it is a haunting post-apocalyptic tale. It is driven chiefly by emotion, and wow did it sure make me feel things. I felt shocked, disgusted, frightened, sorrowful, and most of all, nervous about the outcome of the journey. I have highlighter and pencil and sticky notes all over this book because there is just so much to analyze and so much to get out of each section, and every word is clearly chosen with such care. Again, I see why it was chosen for a senior AP English course.

If anyone read all of this, you're awesome!! wub.gif

I don't remember if I ever posted here, buuuut...

Harry Potter series

Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles/whatever Rick Riordan wrote

Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr, and Inheritance

Wereworld series

Spirit Animals (This is new, and it's an easy read, but it's nice biggrin.gif)

And a bunch of individual books that aren't part of a series tongue.gif

I have five favourite books and one favourite of favourites. biggrin.gif

My favourites start with How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell, which is the first proper novel I ever read so I have a special attachment to it. It's a bit young for me now but I still read the new books when they come out. It was my only favourite for ages but slowly more and more books were added to my favourite list. biggrin.gif

Next goes The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde, it's definitely the strangest book I ever read. I didn't read it for ages because of the title as I was worried it was just about slaying dragons but it isn't. I then found out that my favourite charactor died and so I didn't read it for ages because of that. Only when the second one came out did I read it and loved it. Now I know not to judge a book by its cover. blink.gif

Next is Eragon and the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini. I was really young when I started reading it so at first found it really boring. I only really got into it at the end of the second book when Thorn appears, then I wouldn't put it down. smile.gif

The next of my favourite books is Seraphina by Rachel Hartman. It took me a few pages to get used to the way it's written as it's a bit odd. Didn't think I'd like it at first since it's a romance and a murder mystery ( I never liked anything romantic, I turn away from the TV if there is kissing on the screen and I can't watch Midsummer Murders I so scared of it). The dragons in Seraphina are mostly in a human form they call "Saars", I think it's an interesting idea. biggrin.gif

My favourite of favourites is The Dragon Keeper and the rest of the Rain Wild Chronicles by Robin Hobb. I have only read the first two quite recently and loved them straight away. It's about a bunch of dragons which emerged out of their "cocoons" deformed for various reasons and they must travel up the river to find a safe haven for them. Since they can't fly this is quite difficult, so people travel with them and hunt for them. The book switches between about five main characters, each one has a different story going on. I think it's really exciting and a really interesting idea and I've seen no other stories similar. I really want to read the next two books plus other books Robin Hobb has written, there are about six different series written by her. rolleyes.gif

As you can see all my favourite books include dragons! blink.gif

I used to read a lot in middle school and then on into high School. Lately, I haven't been able to read much thanks to a busy life schedule.

My favorite book is hard to label, since there are many books worthy of that spot. There are two book series that are my favorites. Redwall and Warriors.

In the Redwall series there are many wonderful books, but there are three that stand out about the rest: Taggerung, Mossflower and Martin the Warrior. There are a few that I need to read again in the series, like Mattimeo and Luke the Warrior, and I have not yet read The Rogue Crew.

I also adore the Warriors book series by Erin Hunter. I haven't had the pleasure of reading all of her books involving the cat clans of the forest, but I look forward into diving head-first. I love the adventure of Fireheart and really connected with him throughout the story.

there are other books that deserve an honorable mention. Harry Potter books 3 and 7 were fantastic. The third movie kinda sucked since I had read the book first. The 7th and 8th movie kept close to the book and it was nice to see that scenes from the movies in the last book were very close to how I had pictured them while reading them.

Then there's the manga and comic book department:

Fruits Basket is one of my favorite manga. I'd also like to read more of "The Dark Crystal" manga series. I read the first volume and was hungry for more. Shaman King is another title I'd like to get into.

As far as comic books go, I'm not well-versed in that section. That is unless you mention a caped duck. It's true, BOOM! Comics brought Darkwing Duck out of retirement, but they put him in the hands of the wrong writer.

The first comic ark was great. Darkwing was back, he defeated his greatest enemy once again and there was a fantastic ending that made you say, "OH SNAP!" And it was good into half of the next ark. In fact, it was great up until issue 8. After that things went south. After "Case of the Infinite Darkwings" the comic really lost it's good reputation leaving most readers and Darkwing fans with one conclusion: Ian Brill cannot write for Darkwing.

His previous record proved it, when he had only worked on Zombie/horror comics before being handed Darkwing. Seriously, he turned a great childhood classic into his own personal (not to mention horrible) fanfic. The only thing that kept me interested was the fantastic artwork by James Silvani. That dude can draw!

Another book series I really like was The Guardians of Ga'Hoole, but I've only read the 1st or second book and it's been years.

I've never posted in here? What? Ok... my favorite books are mainly LoTR, The Adventures of Vladimir Taltos, Temeraire, Dimar: Lost Waters, and Pern. I also like some other books that aren't on the top of the list but I definitely enjoyed them, like Nicholas and Alexandria, Redwall, Ready Player One, and Ender's Game (although that was yeaaaars ago and I should reread it to see if I still like it). And finally, I really liked The Horse That Wouldn't Trot, a book about the author's experiences with Tennessee Walking Horses and her fight against abuses in the show industry.

I feel really bad for disliking so many literary classics and such, except LoTR you could argue, but... I can't help it. D:

I REALLY loved the Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness. It's about Todd Hewitt, who lives in Prentisstown, which is run by this strange guy called (you got it!) Mayor Prentiss.

Todd is the last boy left in a woman-less world that's slowly crumbling away to nothing-ness and guess what? Every man and animal's thoughts are literally broadcasted out to the rest of the world until it turns to a whirlpool of endless Noise. But everything's fine and dandy, I suppose . . . until Todd finds that spot of silence.

I thought this was a dark tale; it made me cry back and forth and want to toss the book down and stare into space, but it had many aspects that made me smile and feel giddy inwardly. Like the dog that says almost nothing but "Poo" and "Todd", the mayor's son who tries too hard, and that little bit of hope that's always there.

Edited by Evolette

Far too many to list, but let's see what comes to mind...

the newer books of Margaret Atwood, especially "Oryx and Crake".

"The Gates" by John Connolly, about a gateway opening to hell and... it's hella funny. laugh.gif

The "Thursday Next" series by Jasper Fforde - basically THE series for book lovers. biggrin.gif

Almost everything by Dostoyewsky, especially "The Idiot", "Demons" and "The brothers Karamazov".

Everything by Sir Terry Pratchett, Discworld or otherwise.

The Edda and some verse narratives by Konrad von Würzburg and others.

I also enjoy poetry but I'm very picky. Robert Burns is always fun.

The Master Li books by Barry Hughart and Judge Di books by Robert van Gulik.

Everything by Jane Austen.

The five books I've read so far of the Song of Ice and Fire... come on, George R. R. Martin!

"A suitable boy" by Vikram Seth.

Anthony McCarten seem pretty good, I only read "In the Absence of Heroes" so far.

...I think this is a good point to stop, there are too many more. xd.png

Some of my favorites:

Eragon and the rest of the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini

Fablehaven and Beyonders by Brandon Mull

Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians and the rest of the series, by Brandon Sanderson (Ridiculously funny!)

The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan

Tantalize and the rest of that series by Cynthia Leitich Smith

The Demon King and the rest of the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima

Anything by Rick Riordan (Seriously, everything he writes, I love!)

Beastly by Alex Flinn

Larklight and the rest of the series, by Philip Reeve (Guaranteed to keep you laughing!)

Leviathan and the rest of the series by Scott Westerfield

The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

Partials by Dan Wells

The Night World and Vampire Diaries series by LJ Smith

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (especially The Silver Chair)

I'm gonna stop now... xd.png

I grew up reading Harry Potter and still adore them even as an adult. The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin is right up there with HP, and I'm a big fan of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I don't know how most of you above can pick just one book @__@

My thoughts exactly.

My favorites are as follows (they are not put in order by most to least liked)

The Hobbit - J. R. R. Tolkien

The Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tolkien (I like book five the most)

The Sherlock Holmes series - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Tarzan of the Apes, The Return of Tarzan, Tarzan the Untamed, and Tarzan the Terrible - Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

The Chronicles of Narnia - C. S. Lewis

The Bridge to Terabithia - does anyone know who wrote this?

(I probably spelt that /\ wrong)

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

The list goes on...........

Edited by Smaug-is-my-dragon

My favorite book at the moment is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I am going to start reading some Ursula Le Guin books

Fynn - Mister God, This Is Anna

I have recently come across it again and it tore my heart out just the same as it did almost twenty years ago. It's not technically a very good book, but it always stays with me for a while and tugs at so many places.