Zeekaice

Meat

I don't see how the "finish the whole steak" thing is a waste of food, if you genuinely can eat that much steak. I've done it before with no problem, enjoyed the steak, didn't have to force myself to finish it, and didn't have to pay for it.

However yeah, if you can't eat that much without scarfing it down or forcing yourself, it's a waste of food and a publicity stunt.

There's no such thing as ""humane killing"" in the commercial meat production industry, it's just painful killing and less painful killing, it's still another dead animal. It costs a lot less to split their throats than it does to kill them with euthanasia or anything too. Those people talking about "free range and humane killings and the fact that those videos only showcase the extremities of the inhumanity" just want to think that humane killing is the norm to justify eating meat.

Let's just make up a hypothetical situation where the killing is actually painless, and that the animals actually have plenty of space to move. Pretend you're a cow. Would you like to be fenced in in an inclosure, not allowed to leave, be impregnated forcefully just to have your children taken away shortly after they are born, all while knowing that you were going to be killed and sold for cheap meat as soon as your milk production slowed down?

Now, with that said, I'm sadly not a vegan because my stupid dad won't let me. He says that I'm already skinny enough, and is certain that I would wither away into nothing if I became a vegan. I plan to stop eating animal products when I move out, though.

As someone who has watched animals be put down and spent time educating herself about the agricultural industry and self raising meat a few things came to mind when I read your post.

1. The thing about humane killing and non-humane killing- You mention that the meat industry slits the animals throats and doesn't euthinise, there are very good reasons (besides cost) that certain methods are used. Euthinasia is not used not because of cost but because Euthinising is done by poisioning the animal. Now most of the time its delievered with pain killers to ensure a humane killing, but this renders the meat unfit for human or animal consumption.

Electrocution- This is rarely used in areas that don't require it. Animal rights groups have pushed things like knock-out throat sliting, point blank shooting, and neck breaking (mostly small animals/poultry) out for being inhumane. In reality all these ways were quicker and less painful than this, and electrocution can fail on the first try.

Knock-out throat sliting- Typically done by butchers in small groups with animals like sheep/lambs/goats. Typically done by hitting a pressure point to render the animal unconsious so it won't be in pain as its killed.

Point blank shooting- used by small farmers and I think some larger operations, this allows them to fell the animal with a head shot so that they don't destroy the carcuss while killing the animal instantly. Not as nice as some of the other methods but I've heard it used on cows and pigs as well as wild animals who don't die to the first bullet.

Neck breaking- Used all the time even in not meat centered small animal breeding. Its a quick way to instantly kill the animal before harvesting its carcuss instead of drawing out the death.

As for the cow explaination, take a moment and talk to some dairy farmers. With few exceptions (mostly rare breeds used mostly for show/novelty) when breeding indescriminantly for milk production many of the dairy breeds have lost all motherly instinct. And the portion that is left is mostly dominant struggles. A more dominant cow may force a mother away from her baby and take over parenting of it. This can cause fights amoung the herd, which then leads to an abandoned baby because it was just a show of dominance in the first place.

Now beef breeding cows are the opposite, they're bred to have wonderful mothering instincts, but the babies are seperated when its weaning time (just like with horses.)

EDIT: Wanted to add I tried frogs legs a few days ago, it was like dry salty chicken

Edited by brairtrainer

I've had rabbit before. It was good.

I really want to try venison though.

I've had both, and I have to say, Rabbit is a real pain to prepare right.

Do one thing wrong and it turns into the kind of tasteless chewy stringy crud no one wants to even look at.

But man, grandmum used to make the best hare. It was so tasty with potatoes and seasoned with those extra ingredients she used, I don't even know what they were.

There is a big to-do still going on to get Whole Foods to stop selling it. But it is still available.

Have you checked the farm and garden section of your local craigslist? Lots of local farms tend to post when selling yummy fresh meat. Plus you will help someone local too!

Tons of people do meat rabbits up here, since meat is so expensive. Plus rabbits are fun to raise as well. I have pets, might show a couple. I'd have a hard time killing if I raised my own rabbits. Once they are dead, I don't mind skinning and what not. It's nice to know where the food I am eating comes from. Pigs, sheep, chickens, even cows or reindeer I could handle the whole process. I just have an odd thng about rabbits. I have enjoyed rabbit meat. It's a nice lean meat similar to chicken, can be cooked in many ways or home canned! I also sew fur, I like knowing that gets used too.

I'm a huge fan of wild game. Moose and caribou are fantastic! Bear not so much. I've even had squirrel stew. I can't eat fish, it makes me really sick. And muktuk, gah, not my thing! The smell scared me off.

There is a big to-do still going on to get Whole Foods to stop selling it. But it is still available.

Have you checked the farm and garden section of your local craigslist? Lots of local farms tend to post when selling yummy fresh meat. Plus you will help someone local too!

Tons of people do meat rabbits up here, since meat is so expensive. Plus rabbits are fun to raise as well. I have pets, might show a couple. I'd have a hard time killing if I raised my own rabbits. Once they are dead, I don't mind skinning and what not. It's nice to know where the food I am eating comes from. Pigs, sheep, chickens, even cows or reindeer I could handle the whole process. I just have an odd thng about rabbits. I have enjoyed rabbit meat. It's a nice lean meat similar to chicken, can be cooked in many ways or home canned! I also sew fur, I like knowing that gets used too.

I'm a huge fan of wild game. Moose and caribou are fantastic! Bear not so much. I've even had squirrel stew. I can't eat fish, it makes me really sick. And muktuk, gah, not my thing! The smell scared me off.

We actually do have a local meat store right around the corner! Just asked my Ma and she mentioned that they do sell it. Now I gotta find a good recipe. 8D

Cool! I have seen a bunch of recipies in a meat rabbit group on facebook. I guess it is very similar to chicken for cooking- BBQ seems popular lately! Or stew is a good seasonal treat!

Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

I have always wanted to try a bunny burger. tongue.gif

There are just so many rabbits in this world. Same thing with guinea pigs. I think it should be legal in the US, if it isn't already.

I have eaten bunny burgers, they are great...

Hominids have been eating meat (and other things) for centuries.

It's part of our natural diet.

Yes. Everything dies.

Animals die. Plants die. It's sad but it's true.

Stuff is already here in our market and died so we can stuff our mouths.

So appreciate it if or while you can and enjoy it.

Edited by Draikette

Yes. Everything dies.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I strongly respect on some people who love animals and do not eat meat. For me, I love sharks and I do not like to eat shark's fin soup

Of course it should be eaten. Why else do we have canines? Unless, of course, you have health requirements, etc.

The only thing that really bugs me about eating meat is that some people (obviously not all, maybe not even most, just some) think eating horses/dogs/cats/etc. should be illegal but they have no problem eating a cow or pig or chicken and say it's right because they're bred to be eaten or less intelligent or it's the only life they know. Pigs are actually smarter than horses, so :/

The only thing that really bugs me about eating meat is that some people (obviously not all, maybe not even most, just some) think eating horses/dogs/cats/etc. should be illegal but they have no problem eating a cow or pig or chicken and say it's right because they're bred to be eaten or less intelligent or it's the only life they know. Pigs are actually smarter than horses, so :/

Agreed. I've raised chickens, and I can honestly say that those I've babied have been more affectionate than the dogs and cats I've babied. It's not as if chickens are unintelligent: They're capable of remembering and recognizing human faces, can be trained to fly on command, and I've had roosters jump on my lap and settle down for a petting session.

While I don't eat chickens (or other meat) myself, I have no problem with others eating them. Nor do I have a problem with people eating any other kind of animal. I've enjoyed quail, rabbit, duck, and, yes, cow, pig, and chicken.

If you're avoiding eating specific animals because of the taste, availability, or legal purposes, it's okay, but I do think it's extremely silly and superfluous to avoid eating "cuter" animals for moral purposes. Tell me this isn't cute--and yes, they do make a tasty meal!

I would actually support controlled cannibalism (consented, similar to organ donors: You make an agreement to allow your flesh to be sold or given away as food if you die in a way that preserves it), because I really don't think there's any animal worthy of not being eaten, but that's a discussion for another topic.

I understand not wanting to eat a certain animal because of past experiences with it (I don't know if I'll be able to ever eat chicken, assuming I do start eating meat again--then again, I have no problem eating fertilized eggs!), but thinking it's immoral or disgusting for anyone to eat a specific something is just ridiculous, in my opinion.

Luckily I don't know many people who think that way (or at least, I don't often discuss it with people), but it does bother me that some do!

To sum up: Not wanting to individually eat a specific animal is fine, but please don't try to dictate whether or not others are able to while retaining intact morality!

The truth of the matter is, I think, that what animals are considered 'food' is strongly influenced by your culture.

Simple as that, really.

Yeah, I agree with you there.

Maybe it's just because I've been a vegetarian my whole life but I've understood why some meat is okay to eat and others aren't.

Also, meat eaters who refuse to acknowledge the fact that animals had to die for their food really piss me off.

Like I've seen meat eaters complain about hunters eating deer they've killed because it's inhumane

I wouldn't eat a cat or dog, but if other people would good for them I guess. Long as they stay away from people's pets there shouldn't be a problem. Same for horses.

Cannibalism I'm definitely against. Eating your own species is beyond creepy in my opinion, even if we are just walking meat creatures. I don't think we should eat everything that moves just because we theoretically can.

Edited by alupe99a

Just in case we find the conversation veering more towards this topic instead of keeping it constrained to veganism/vegetarianism. (Bump.)

I personally DO eat meat... though I respect that not everyone else does.

What I find fascinating about it.... and I guess about food in general... is what a culturally driven thing this is. That is...as humans, we all need to eat to survive, but what we eat and when and how we eat it are all very much dictated by one's culture. For instance. In my own culture ( American) certain kinds of meat are considered food.... such as beef, pork or chicken... while eating certain other kinds.... horse, let's say, or dog, or cat..... or insects..... would be seen as odd. In some other cultures, though, those things are considered acceptable as food. I personally would be wierded out if served any of those.ON the other hand, I eat pork..... which in some cultures and religions is thought of as unclean. just goes to show how differently different people view it.Some religions, as I understand, even DO urge Vegetarianism for their followers ( I believe I would be right in naming Bhuddhism as an example) on the grounds that it is nonviolent.

Edited by Silverswift

Yes. Everything dies.

thank you! couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, meat eaters who refuse to acknowledge the fact that animals had to die for their food really piss me off.

Like I've seen meat eaters complain about hunters eating deer they've killed because it's inhumane

As a meat-eater, this also makes me aggrieved. Hunters, who are NOT poaching, eating their kills is one of the best ways to get meat if you're concerned about ethics and humane treatment. The animal lived a full natural life, and death at the hands of a hunter is generally far more humane and dignified than being torn apart by predators in the wild or succumbing to illness or starvation.

I care about ethics, but I enjoy meat too much to cut it from my diet, and acknowledge it as part of the natural world. And I think animals raised for their meat should be treated well and try to support such practices as much as I can.

I don't support eating carnivores, though. Not for any particular "oh they're smarter" concerns... no, because it's so inefficient. Some people say we shouldn't eat animals when we could eat the plants we feed them, but I wouldn't want to eat grass and seeds. But it does feel like a waste to feed carnivores meat, and then eat them, when I could just eat the first round of tasty meat. If they're overpopulated in the wild and they're hunted, fine, I'd try it too, but I don't think carnivores should be raised for meat.

Also, birds are the most delicious meats. I've never eaten a bird I didn't like, between chicken, pheasant, game hen, duck, turkey, goose, quail, and pigeon.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

I can't speak for horses, but I've been around cows and chickens to some extent and do find them much stupider than dogs and cats, which makes it more permissible in my mind. I've seen deer do some Godawful stupid stuff, too. Pigs I agree are a different matter but I grew up eating it and at this point giving it up is hard, although I'm looking into turkey substitutes a little. But I still feel eating cats/dogs is wrong (and goats, but that's a different story, haha). I think other than intelligence it's that cats and dogs have been BRED to be companions. Captive cats use a special meow similar to an infant crying to get their owners to do things for them. Dogs in experiments will turn to humans for help when they get stuck on a problem. That's a degree of love or at the very least trust that your average cow/chicken/turkey or even pig does not show and that's why it feels so much like betrayal to eat them. I guess that's what would make me uncomfortable about eating horses too.

At any rate, I really hope someday cultured meat becomes a widespread thing, as I love meat but do feel guilty when I think about it too long. Right now fighting to make sure farm animals are given good lives beforehand is the best compromise I've come up with.

Yeah, I agree with you there.

Maybe it's just because I've been a vegetarian my whole life but I've understood why some meat is okay to eat and others aren't.

Man I'm so on the fence about hunting because on the one hand the animal did get to live a better life than most farm animals, but on the other you hear stories of hunters losing shot deer and the animal taking hours to die before it's found and it's hard to decide whether a slow painful death after a good life or a quick death after a crappy life is less cruel.

Either way, I have zero support for fur or trophy hunting where the main focus isn't the meat.

I eat fish, avoid mammals, birds and turtles, have no opinions about alligators. If there was some lab-created meat, probably I would try it.

And I came across some pigs and horses that were quite smarter than dogs. No bacon for me.

Edited by SullenCat

I love meat, it's my favourite part of any meal. I've eaten all kinds of different meats from all kinds of different animals, and quite honestly the only meat that's off limits for me is human.