Zeekaice

Meat

we are omnivores by nature and should eat meat. Perhaps not as a daily part of our diet but frequent enough. Any diet that requires supplements and vitamin B12 injections (B12 being necessary and obtained only from meat) is a bad diet.

I do enjoy a mixed diet. I will cook carnivore meals but will also indulge in vegetarian and vegan dishes. I like the variety.

You can get B12 from dairy and eggs.

But that still makes it a problem for vegans.

You can get B12 from dairy and eggs.

But that still makes it a problem for vegans.

mostly, I should have specified, it affects vegans more so than vegetarians. because vegetarians will eat eggs, drink milk and yeah they get it that way. That diet is much healthier. My stepsister's girlfriend was vegan until her doctor ordered her to adapt to a different diet, so she's now vegetarian.

Well I recently just became a vegetarian myself, only out of pure curiosity on what it would feel like. At first it was very hard to stay away from all chicken, lamb and steak but after a while I got used to it. I have vegetarian pizzas and sausages instead of the ones with meat in them. Before I became a herbivore I tried being a vegan but not eating milk, yogurt, eggs and other products like that was too hard.

My one chef said try it for a year - vegetarian. There is a lot of amazing recipes out there for vegetarian dishes. I eat vegetarian at least once a week.

But as for the subject, there is so many good meats to eat. I can't emphasise though an animal protein in our diet, be it meat or eggs, is necessary for our overall health. TOO much protein in our diet can cause for health issues. I believe 5 - 7 ounces of meat/protine is all we should have per day.

I sometimes take pills so that my body will get the right nutrition and vitamins that it needs. My mum always tells me to eat lots of cheese, eggs and milk since they have lots of protein in them.

I sometimes take pills so that my body will get the right nutrition and vitamins that it needs. My mum always tells me to eat lots of cheese, eggs and milk since they have lots of protein in them.

I believe many legumes and nuts contain a lot, too, as do many insects like crickets. c:

IIRC pills/tablets are almost entirely ineffective for giving your body the nutrients it needs. It's much easier for your body to get something through actual food or drink than a pill. o3o Not sure about powder but I recall reading about it being a lot easier since it's in a much more manageable form being already broken down and easier to absorb. Don't quote me on that, though, I might be totally remembering stuff wrong. In fact others have probably posted the true info several times in the thread already, since I believe some have talked about taking supplements.

I believe many legumes and nuts contain a lot, too, as do many insects like crickets. c:

IIRC pills/tablets are almost entirely ineffective for giving your body the nutrients it needs. It's much easier for your body to get something through actual food or drink than a pill. o3o Not sure about powder but I recall reading about it being a lot easier since it's in a much more manageable form being already broken down and easier to absorb. Don't quote me on that, though, I might be totally remembering stuff wrong. In fact others have probably posted the true info several times in the thread already, since I believe some have talked about taking supplements.

Not to sound like a spolit brat but insects? Eww! I have actually tried silk worms before in China but never crickets, I wonder of they taste nice. I don't know about all the pills and stuff but a doctor did recomend them to me so I don't really know if they work or not but I seem to be fine.

I self-willingly took on two weeks of vegetarianism just to see what it was like; many of the recipes are delicious! The only reason why I can't be full out vegetarian is because I actually need meat for protein (Yeah I know theres other proteins such as grains and nuts, but eating lots of nuts gives me acne and grains are kinda hard to digest).

I love meat biggrin.gif Especially buying from local farms, who don't use bad chemicals and treat their animals with respect.

Meat is healthy for humans to eat but I think we need to be very careful about the kinds of meat we choose to eat, especially with the growing world population. Meats like poultry use up far fewer units of input energy to get one unit of output meat than red meats like beef and lamb do. Livestock like cattle and sheep also require a lot more land and space than livestock like chickens and turkeys.

According to a Cornell University study the rates are something like the following:

Energy Input: Protein Output

Chicken - 4:1

Turkey - 13:1

Milk - 14:1

Pork - 17:1

Eggs - 26:1

Lamb - 50:1

Beef - 54:1

And according to a study published in the Journal of American Clinical Nutrition (see green box on the first page of PDF, also see a table on land usage per protein type on 6th page, labeled 66, of PDF) the rates look something like this:

Energy Input: Protein Output

Corn - 1:4

Chicken - 4:1

Turkey - 10:1

Milk - 14:1

Pork - 14:1

Eggs - 39:1

Beef - 40:1

Lamb - 57:1

There are many more reliable studies done on this topic that you can look at, I just chose two of them. There are notable discrepancies between the two studies in the calculated values for beef and eggs, probably depending on if the animals are raised free range or not, I'd have to read through the data collection methodology sections and I really have no interest in doing that laugh.gif. However, the basic principle still holds. Protein choices like chicken are going to be much better for the environment and the world food economy than protein choices like beef or lamb. Basically, the next time you get fast food, try eating a chicken sandwich instead of a beef burger. Or grill a pork tenderloin (if you have no religious objection to pork) instead of a steak.

Edited by F.ury

I see no problem with eating meat. Our bodies are made to consume meat, it's delicious, and if done right can be quite humane. However, I think a large issue is how meat has become the entree in our meals, and vegetables and fruits the sides. Your plate should ideally have 1/4 vegetables, 1/4 fruits, 1/4 grains, and 1/4 meat. Most people (at least here in the USA) do 1/2 (or more) meat, 3/8 (or more )grain, and 1/8 (or less) fruits and/or "vegetables". If there are more "vegetables" than that, they are really not a vegetable, they're a grain like corn or a starch like potatoes. It's unhealthy, and wasteful since our bodies are not made to use that big of a proportion of meat to plant material.

Update on my opinion: Nothing wrong with meat, not gonna be mad at anyone for eating. However, I will just suggest looking into where your meat comes from. I drove past a feed lot in Colorado back in August and almost cried because it smelled so horrible, even after it was out of sight.

If not for the sake of animal welfare, at least for the sake of your own health.

My mom has decided she wants us to breed another breed of rabbit >.>.

The good news is its a commercial type breed so I might be able to finally try rabbit made in a good way (the first time I tried it it was bland.) So yay maybe raising my own meat soon.

Chicken plays a large part in my diet. I eat a lot of lentils & legumes too, but I find the 25 percent of my protein diet is meat. I refuse to eat beef, jimmin (veal, spring chicken, etc) but I do admit, I have had caribou.

I will eat any living thing that moves, besides humans. Rabbit, fish, beef, pork, chicken, horse, turkey,quail,shark,seal,squirrel,mutton/lamb, and everything else. I love organ meats too. What's your opinion on rabbit? Do you like rabbit? I do it's tasty

I really want to try rabbit in paella valenciana, as my mom fixes that really well and the recipe calls for it, but I can never find rabbit meat.

Today I cooked a cornish hen with hoisin sauce and butter under the skin, stuffed with cubed ginger, and it was so tender one of the wing bones fell out when I tried to pull the wing off.

Meat is an excellent protein, everyone has the choice to utilize it or not. I prefer to utilize it.

I really want to try rabbit in paella valenciana, as my mom fixes that really well and the recipe calls for it, but I can never find rabbit meat.

Today I cooked a cornish hen with hoisin sauce and butter under the skin, stuffed with cubed ginger, and it was so tender one of the wing bones fell out when I tried to pull the wing off.

Whole foods sometimes has it, or if you're close to cincinatti look up jungle jim's (I think I spelled it right).

Krogers, Food Lion, etc. probably won't carry it. Commercially there are less people raising rabbits for meat (mostly its people who show who then sell for meat to make cage space).

Meat is an excellent protein, everyone has the choice to utilize it or not. I prefer to utilize it.

It is also a most easily obtained complete protein. Proteins can be obtained in non meat sources, but you need to eat two of these sources in order to make a complete protein.

Insects are an amazing source of protein. But you won't catch me chewing on my frog's food.

Although, I think quinoa is complete in itself - but I cannot be quoted on it. I would have to re-read my texts and notes from school to confirm.

Its the whole lack of B12 though. Vegetarians can obtain it through things like eggs, milk, cheese. Vegan's cannot, not without a shot from the doctor. A person can go for a long time without a B12 reboot. Especially if they go vegan in adult-life. However they will run out and problems will occur - as my stepsister's girlfriend found out. Taking supplements to fortify a diet is not generally good.

B12 - as my text book reads. (nutrition for foodservice and culinary professionals)

1. Functions as part of a coenzybe necessary to make new cells and DNA. It activates folate coenzyme so that folate can also make new cells and DNA

2. B12 is needed to maintain protective cover around nerve fibres and ensure normal functioning nervous system

3. bones also depend on B12

When it is depleted in adults, heart disease can occur.

We are relatively lucky in regards to availability of supplements and fortified foods. But if that was, for some reason, to go away - the vegan diet (not vegetarian) would fail. Vegetarians do well if they nom a good selection of foods and vary their diets. I find vegetarian dishes quite exciting.

Ethically... meat... it depends on what you are comfortable with. I understand - as I am empathic - that to obtain meat, you have to take a life (unless you are obtaining lab grown meat... they do this.) Its a matter of how you take that life. With respect, or with disrespect. And that is the heart of the question.

The suffering of animals saddens me. I love animals and I hate that they can't really tell us that something we do is unpleasant. I still eat animal meat. But I eat it with respect, I thank its spirit for feeding me. When I have eaten meat from practices I oppose - as hypocritical as that seems, (foie gras I object to and would never purchase it. But we had it at school and I ate it and took what was left home so the birds did not die in vain.), I have generally eaten it with extreme knowledge what the creatures went through to end up on my plate. I would rather make that creature a part of me than wasted in a landfill.

In the end, the choice is very personal. I understand the suffering of animals I eat meat to allow them to live on in me. Some understand the suffering of animals and choose to boycot meat. Its personal.

I absolutely support eating animals. What I don't support is the common treatment of them and the conditions of slaughterhouses here in America.

I don't eat meat. I'm a pescetarian, so I do eat seafood. While I don't think that sea animals are inferior to land animals, I know that they are often less advanced and therefore feel less pain. They are also generally not treated as poorly as land livestock.

Eventually the guilt of eating animals outweighed the yumminess of the animals themselves, so I just stopped eating it. I haven't eaten meat in almost two years now. smile.gif I encourage others to eat meat that is raised well, and don't interrupt them if they eat something from a poorly maintained slaughterhouse. I am willing to eat meat that has been fairly treated. I mean, I haven't, but that's more because of personal choice than logical reasoning. I wouldn't feel bad if I ate something from an open farm. I'd prefer not to, but I will eat it and if I will--I'll enjoy it!

I like my bacon. I like my steaks. I like my chicken legs. I like my meats dammit.

I ain't gonna start some half-baked veggie regime just so I can "probably" squeeze in 2 extra years of life on here.

But I am not gonna judge anyone who thinks or does otherwise. Hell, if they don't want to eat meats, that's fine. None of my business...

Unless... they're like Ivan. An unfortunate acquaintance who, like the stereotype goes, lets on that he's a vegan and would do so even before telling people his name if he could. Ivan is the kind of person that makes you want to commit mass animal genocide, just to spite him and his cult of annoying judgmental half-brained big-mouthed censorkip.gif holes.

I need not say more. Eat what you want, bon' apetit. Just don't make it my business, alright?

Edited by Brotato

I'm a vegetarian smile.gif

I don't support eating meat, but I'm not going to criticize those who do.

If you're not going to shove your lifestyle down my throat, I wont shove mine down yours.

I feel like if suddenly it was illegal to eat meat I really wouldn't care. I'm not a vegetarian but my diet is mostly stuff like pasta and rice. I can't really remember the last time I bought or ate meat.

I feel like if suddenly it was illegal to eat meat I really wouldn't care. I'm not a vegetarian but my diet is mostly stuff like pasta and rice. I can't really remember the last time I bought or ate meat.

God I eat so much pasta...