sailing101

Portal 2

I was reading TV Tropes and found this:

Who are Chell's parents? Sure, Caroline is GLaDOS uploaded by will by Cave Johnson. And yeah, Cave Johnson is the turret you met that doesn't shoot you, which you can tell by his quotes like her name is Caroline, get mad, and don't make lemonade quotes, and the husband of Caroline, uploading her to become GLaDOS so she can live forever. And yeah Chell has a science project from Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. And yeah it was weird that GLaDOS had the turrets sing opera on how Chell was a sweet daughter and sa-. Whoa,whoa,whoa,WHOA! Time out for a second. Chell Johnson... This really explains the reason GLaDOS makes her adoption remarks. Chell is the daughter of GLaDOS and Cave Johnson!

Not quoted but whited out for spoilers.

Thoughts any one?

Who are Chell's parents? Sure, Caroline is GLaDOS uploaded by will by Cave Johnson. And yeah, Cave Johnson is the turret you met that doesn't shoot you, which you can tell by his quotes like her name is Caroline, get mad, and don't make lemonade quotes, and the husband of Caroline, uploading her to become GLaDOS so she can live forever. And yeah Chell has a science project from Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. And yeah it was weird that GLaDOS had the turrets sing opera on how Chell was a sweet daughter and sa-. Whoa,whoa,whoa,WHOA! Time out for a second. Chell Johnson... This really explains the reason GLaDOS makes her adoption remarks. Chell is the daughter of GLaDOS and Cave Johnson!

Thoughts any one?

A desperate attempt to try and validate a theory that, when held up against all sense and things known about the characters and universe, holds absolutely no water whatsoever.

McLain herself confirmed that the opera lyrics were her own, rather mangled creation and pretty much pieced together at the last minute for a surprise for the players. The opera has no meaning beyond that.

Thoughts any one?

Hadn't heard of the Cave=turret part, but the theory is pretty old. o3o One of the biggest ones I know of and I haven't even played the games! regarding her. I'm curious how people think it works though.

If Chell is their daughter and assuming everything took place on BYDTWD, Chell has aged. She looks a young adult and I really don't think, even if she had no interest in science, that someone that old would make a potato battery. Even a potato that epic. If the sleep stasis thing from P2 stops aging and that's what all the subjects are kept in, that can't have been the same Chell and the theory is a bit Jossed. If it doesn't stop aging, maybe just slowed it immensely, I cannot imagine how anyone aged /normally/ or developed correctly.

If I was going to get on board any "Chell is X" theories, I'd probably go with "Chell was an Olympian". Training takes determination, most athletes are young to be competing in their prime, I really don't think she was a hobo, and DAT BOOTS TRAILER COME ON. That's too awesome to not be cannon let me dream a little okay? >w>

I think I'm going to watch the co-op playthru on youtube tonight.

Hadn't heard of the Cave=turret part, but the theory is pretty old. o3o One of the biggest ones I know of and I haven't even played the games! regarding her. I'm curious how people think it works though.

If Chell is their daughter and assuming everything took place on BYDTWD, Chell has aged. She looks a young adult and I really don't think, even if she had no interest in science, that someone that old would make a potato battery. Even a potato that epic. If the sleep stasis thing from P2 stops aging and that's what all the subjects are kept in, that can't have been the same Chell and the theory is a bit Jossed. If it doesn't stop aging, maybe just slowed it immensely, I cannot imagine how anyone aged /normally/ or developed correctly.

If I was going to get on board any "Chell is X" theories, I'd probably go with "Chell was an Olympian". Training takes determination, most athletes are young to be competing in their prime, I really don't think she was a hobo, and DAT BOOTS TRAILER COME ON. That's too awesome to not be cannon let me dream a little okay? >w>

I think I'm going to watch the co-op playthru on youtube tonight.

It also raises the questions of where she was. I've heard some people say that the BYDTWD theory works because GLaDOS put her in the relaxation vault or something, and she just aged real slow. Or potato serum was used.

My response to that is this: How the hell would she be able to even function, then? She'd be mentally 10 or so, and totally unused to an adult body.

My personal canon is that she was just an Aperture employee. Hell, I even take the 'Chell is an orphan' theory seriously, there's no good reason to discount it xd.png But she was probably a part time employee or something at Aperture, perhaps some kind of trainee. It's also entirely likely that she and Doug knew each other, that would be one explanation for how he knew she was the person to take down GLaDOS. It's unlikely that the glorified code monkey would have any access to testing records.

This was actually discussed at some length several pages back, if you want to see other opinions smile.gif

Edited by Dr. Paine

My personal canon is that she was just an Aperture employee. Hell, I even take the 'Chell is an orphan' theory seriously, there's no good reason to discount it XD But she was probably a part time employee or something at Aperture, perhaps some kind of trainee. It's also entirely likely that she and Doug knew each other, that would be one explanation for how he knew she was the person to take down GLaDOS. It's unlikely that the glorified code monkey would have any access to testing records.

This was actually discussed at some length several pages back, if you want to see other opinions :)

I really like this idea too, actually. XD

Wonder why her last name is redacted in the comic, other than to preserve suspension over whether or not it's that.

I really like this idea too, actually. xd.png

Wonder why her last name is redacted in the comic, other than to preserve suspension over whether or not it's that.

Probably just to mess with players? xd.png Of course, if it really is the second-most-common surname in the US, it could be a case of someone in the system freaking out and wanting to squash any rumors about Cave's actions to preserve his influence on Aperture? xd.png

Probably just to mess with players? xd.png Of course, if it really is the second-most-common surname in the US, it could be a case of someone in the system freaking out and wanting to squash any rumors about Cave's actions to preserve his influence on Aperture? xd.png

Possibly.

I can't help but wonder what kind of people the employees were, given the comic. Rattman being, uh, him makes him the Only Sane Man while everyone else seems just as stupid/blind for science as Cave was (/stares at the "she went from trying to kill us in 1/16 of a picosecond from 1/10 of the same yesterday--super progress!", or the "best to use your left hand, just in case", or the "neurotoxin? sure, as long as it's for science" people), especially how many stuck around after the money disappeared. Lots of people should have realistically quit once they started forcing employees to test, unless there was some blinded-by-pride "I'm a genius, I can beat this" (or, GLaDOS was not letting them leave, which is a scary thought).

Actually, most employees did quit. Cave mentions at the beginning of the Conversion Gel part that the quality of test subjects had risen dramatically but employee retention had not. Which of course means anyone who stayed was probably just as eccentric as Cave.

Edited by Lythiaren

Actually, most employees did quit. Cave mentions at the beginning of the Conversion Gel part that the quality of test subjects had risen dramatically but employee retention had not. Which of course means anyone who stayed was probably just as eccentric as Cave.

I thought it was a combination of that and... er... many employee deaths xd.png

I thought it was a combination of that and... er... many employee deaths xd.png

This for me. I figured they'd been forced into testing and all died dead. Comic also has GLaDOS talking to RM saying he's the only one left.

Listened to the co-op and I'm surprised at how... censorkip.gif*y she was to them. Yes, she's snarky to Chell, but she was much more malevolent and mocking with the robots. o-o

This for me. I figured they'd been forced into testing and all died dead. Comic also has GLaDOS talking to RM saying he's the only one left.

Listened to the co-op and I'm surprised at how... censorkip.gif*y she was to them. Yes, she's snarky to Chell, but she was much more malevolent and mocking with the robots. o-o

It's not like they have feelings or anything.

Pft. A robot. With feelings. That's just silly.

It's not like they have feelings or anything.

Pft. A robot. With feelings. That's just silly.

Well, GLaDOS /was/ built with too much empathy for humans.

But she got over that handicap!

Also eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I want one! Or both!

Edited by NixAyum

Where did that pic come from? are they being sold?

Truth be told, they don't look too hard to make. tongue.gif

I found the pic on a blog which linked to another blog which linked to a third blog which linked to a dA etsy!

20 bucks for the two, which funnily enough, are up as friendship bracelets.

I CAN HAS RIGHT TAG I SWEAR

Edited by NixAyum

I found the pic on a blog which linked to another blog which linked to a third blog which linked to a dA etsy!

20 bucks for the two, which funnily enough, are up as friendship bracelets.

I CAN HAS RIGHT TAG I SWEAR

20 bucks for two little bits of plastic? ... I could probably make one myself, although It wouldn't be quite as precise. they have a laster or something.

(8) *pokes Kaini*

I've decided to try and replay Portal on August 11th. I'm going to try and get through the entire game in one day o3o

Oh my god <3

Listen to

for 34 seconds (I used a calculator) and when it reaches 34 seconds, watch
with no sound.

mind. blown.

I thought I'd share it.

Edited by aquamarine__

I thought it was a combination of that and... er... many employee deaths XD

But of course. Why is so much of our Science dangerous? Why don't you marry safe science if you love it so much! :P

But of course. Why is so much of our Science dangerous? Why don't you marry safe science if you love it so much! tongue.gif

Do you want to marry it? WELL I WON'T LET YOU! How does that feel?

That thing is probably some sort of raw sewage container. D:

Nah, that was the fluid catalytic cracking unit.

Nah, that was the fluid catalytic cracking unit.

I thought it had some ancillary responsibilities...

... anyway, to keep this from devolving into nothing but quotes, who's looking forward to the release of the third soundtrack volume? Do you think we'll really get all the good stuff (Cara Mia, Reconstructing Science, Want You Gone), or will those be on some... premium, physical-copy CD you actually have to buy? xd.png

ETA:

Edited by Dr. Paine