sailing101

Portal 2

That too... though the recent PSN issues has a lot of people looking to jump ship, from what I've heard.

-yawns- Ah, I need to play through Portal 2 with the commentary on soon. And finish co-op...

True, but PSN wasn't down when Portal 2 came out, so I bought it on PS3 even though I'm a PC gamer. Sure, it went down the next day, but by then they already had my money.

Personally I was disappointed with Commentary mode.

Oh man, I want this game pretty bad right now. I'm kinda out of the Portal loop (lol puns) and just beat Portal 1. I've seen playthroughs and it seems pretty good, but I want some reviews from you people.

Review? My review is about the same as Notch's review. You know, the Minecraft guy.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4771278428/portal-2-review

BIG GIGANTIC EXHAUSTED SIGH.

I am having the same problem a lot of people are having, apparently. :| I have Portal 2 completely downloaded, try and play it, and then it just crashes after the Valve video thing with the message "portal2.exe has stopped working ; a problem has caused this program to stop working correctly".

I tried verifying my cache, said I needed to redownload a missing file, tried starting up again.. same problem is still there.

This is the thread with all of the people who have the same problem trying to find a solution. Over 100 pages of upset comments. Ugh.

Validating the game cache always fixed it for me, dunno what's causing it for you...

EDIT: In the OP of the thread, it says it's mostly affecting people installing it on external drives and FAT32 drives :/ You'd think they'd have caught that bug before release since that's pretty major.

Edited by War Pig Killer

I HAVE an external drive, but I didn't use it when downloading it. :/ Zach just gave me the code and I popped that in to the Steam thing. It installed just fine.. no problems whatsoever. And then.. this happens.

Apparently moving the Steam and Portal 2 files around and/or redownloading Steam worked for some people, but.. I'm afraid to do that, since I'm not exactly what one would call tech savvy. So I guess I'll have Zach do it for me. He knows his way around a computer.

Really, I've become completely annoyed with PC games... I'm not very tech savvy, so having to do anything besides popping in a CD and answer a few dialog boxes is annoying... I got The Sims 3 2 years ago and it worked perfectly until I had to restore my PC to factory settings... when I reinstalled the game, it bugged up and I had to do a ton of things suggested by people and nothing ended up working... :/

So this is kinda why I stick to console gaming. I know some people are like "Well, you have to be willing to put in the work to get it running", but to me, that's like buying a new car, and then having to fix the engine before I can drive it. When I buy a game, I'm kinda hoping that paying for the game in question is the only major issue I have to deal with... and with as complex as PC's are compared to consoles... :/

-K-

I prefer playing games on the PC.. not only that, but the only console I have is a Wii. :/ Sigh.

And I went ahead and skipped to the end of that thread, and apparently that new patch helped a lot of people. Still not me though. Seems like the people who are still affected use Vista and/or have 32-bit.. things. Both of which I have. *pinches bridge of nose* More sighing. This frustrates me.

I'm just about to do the boss battle with Wheatley.

Edited by Akatia

Er, might wanna do the white text spoiler thing for that post, Akatia. Not everyone has beat the game yet.

I prefer playing games on the PC.. not only that, but the only console I have is a Wii. :/ Sigh.

And I went ahead and skipped to the end of that thread, and apparently that new patch helped a lot of people. Still not me though. Seems like the people who are still affected use Vista and/or have 32-bit.. things. Both of which I have. *pinches bridge of nose* More sighing. This frustrates me.

If people are saying to try uninstalling Steam, then do that. Or at least uninstall Portal.

~Spam removed~ By the way I heard about portals 2 is it fun? sad.gif Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I enjoyed it muchly, and then my husband and I had cake. - except for that one level that stumps me even when I know how to solve it....

unsure.gif

Edited by Starscream

If people are saying to try uninstalling Steam, then do that. Or at least uninstall Portal.

I'd rather not do anything risky, since a couple of the people who did reinstall Steam had an error that wouldn't let them even USE Steam. :/ I might try and reinstall Portal 2, but I would honestly rather move the files around like others have suggested. Or.. y'know, just wait.

I just don't want to screw up my computer. I get upset rather easily, and if I mess anything up.. ugh. I don't mind having to fix things, but I don't want to be the one that causes the problems. I'd rather have someone else who's more tech savvy help me, step by step.

I'd rather not do anything risky, since a couple of the people who did reinstall Steam had an error that wouldn't let them even USE Steam. :/ I might try and reinstall Portal 2, but I would honestly rather move the files around like others have suggested. Or.. y'know, just wait.

I just don't want to screw up my computer. I get upset rather easily, and if I mess anything up.. ugh. I don't mind having to fix things, but I don't want to be the one that causes the problems. I'd rather have someone else who's more tech savvy help me, step by step.

They released a patch yesterday that was supposed to fix it - did it?

Also, holy crap some of the ChellxWheatley art is adorable.

Hm, I haven't restarted Steam in a while. Maybe it'll update when I do that? >__> Because Portal 2 still isn't working for me at the moment. Even though I put it to update automatically. (lulz mela no get compootrs)

All righty, I guess I'll try restarting Steam then.. that's easy and quick enough..

EDIT: Nope, still doesn't work.

Edited by MellaBella

Also, holy crap some of the ChellxWheatley art is adorable.

D'aaw. I love Wheatley.

I wish he didn't have to be the main antagonist... It saddens me. ;_; I want to escape WITH him at the end of the game.

Also, I managed to find the little Lazer vs Turret opera easter egg. :D

Am I the only one who tries NOT to kill Turrets? I just put them facing a wall or something so they can't shoot me.

Edited by Switch

Am I the only one who tries NOT to kill Turrets? I just put them facing a wall or something so they can't shoot me.

I do that! Turrets are too cute to kill unless absolutely necessary. :<

I used to kill turrets, but then I met the one at the redemption line.

I usually like to leave turrets alone whenever possible ^^

-is also glad the Valve community almost never accepts pairing art- Any romance in Portal is just... weird and wrong.

It blacks out on my vista.

It works on my 7. How?

It seems to be crapping out for the Vista users. I am one myself. .w.

I usually like to leave turrets alone whenever possible ^^

-is also glad the Valve community almost never accepts pairing art- Any romance in Portal is just... weird and wrong.

Meh I wouldn't call it weird or wrong, it's just a guilty pleasure. Like crackfics.

I personally can't stand turrets. They scare me to death.

"Are you still there?"

*shudders*

I personally can't stand turrets. They scare me to death.

"Are you still there?"

*shudders*

But they're so cute. D:

I hate killing them.

I have to admit, though, when they go "Helloo, friend", it is KINDA threatening. But otherwise...

Cute. :< I want a Turret plushie, too.