sailing101

Portal 2

I remember once hacking the school projector and trying to play Portal the first on it.

I got suspended. T_T

Well, anyone up for co-op?

The game is actually pretty simple.. if you're not good at puzzle games, however, it may be different. :/

All you have to do is just sit down and LOOK at what is in front of you and test everything and see what does and doesn't work. That's what I did when I played the first Portal with Zach watching. He refused to give me any help, but I managed to get all of the way to Test 18 when he was there, and then the rest when I was totally by myself. No hints, no playthroughs, nothin'. Even though I wanted them. I forced myself to use my brain and figure it out.

It's not impossible. Otherwise other people wouldn't have beaten it. :P Silly head.

I'm stuck. This is impossible.

The impossible is easy smile.gif

Though yeah, some can be difficult... when in doubt, just shoot portals everywhere. See what sticks, most of the hardest tests are about finding where you can even put a portal.

No, it's definitely impossible.

I can't get past this one level.

Which one is it?

Describe the puzzle, I can probably help. Or someone here can.

ETA: Something I've been meaning to ask- with the advent of POTaDOS, does anyone find the 'sometimes a potato' DC meme even funnier?

Edited by Dr. Paine

ETA: Something I've been meaning to ask- with the advent of POTaDOS, does anyone find the 'sometimes a potato' DC meme even funnier?

Oh, jeez, I know I do. >.>

No, it's definitely impossible.

I can't get past this one level.

No, really, it's not. Just stay positive. Just calm yourself and stare at the puzzle, you'll get it.

It's the one where you've got this useless launcher and it does nothing but launch you backwards through a portal, theen there is that lazer and the cube thing and by the exit there are turrets.

It's the one where you've got this useless launcher and it does nothing but launch you backwards through a portal, theen there is that lazer and the cube thing and by the exit there are turrets.

With three pivot cubes?

You need to apply the old 'fling' principal. Check out where the highest portal-able surfaces are. Some of them are needed to knock down the cubes, some just help launch you to ledges.

There's also a little area in the far back left corner (if you're standing with your back to the faith plate), which is where you need to set the first pivot cube.

Yeah, and it's in Chapter 3.

I'll try that.

-nod-

Unfortunately, that one's one of the harder ones to walk through in text, or I'd have offered a much better explanation.

And make sure you use the faith plate- the panel above it can hold a portal, and this one involves a lot of mid-air replacing.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Yes ;D so much x3

"Ah, bird! It's evil! Kill it! Oh.. It got away... thats good... for it..."

I keep finding myself quoting GLaDOS at people who don't even know what Portal is... I'm especially fond of, "I've come up with a soulution that is best for one of the both of us."

I'm doing a new game right now, actually. Chapter two...

And yes, I'm spoiler tagging everything even remotely plot-related.

"Ah, bird! It's evil! Kill it! Oh.. It got away... thats good... for it..."

I keep finding myself quoting GLaDOS at people who don't even know what Portal is... I'm especially fond of, "I've come up with a soulution that is best for one of the both of us."

I'm doing a new game right now, actually. Chapter two...

And yes, I'm spoiler tagging everything even remotely plot-related.

xd.png That's possibly one of my all time favorite quotes. .. the bird one.

Or anything little Prometheus says <3 -hugs it-

"I AM NOT A MOROOOOOOOOOOOOOON"

Hahaha *snort* hahaha. Oh man. That kills me.

"I AM NOT A MOROOOOOOOOOOOOOON"

Hahaha *snort* hahaha. Oh man. That kills me.

xd.png

... you want to know something funny?

I got my brothers to take the disposition test a while back. As mentioned before, I tend to get GLaDOS a lot. One of them got the Cube.

The one I often have the most trouble with, due to his tendency to muck things up?

Yep, he got Wheatley. And really, it's eerie how well it all fits...

The only thing I can say to the Cave/Caroline/Chell family theory is...

Actually, the lab boys just informed me that anything I say will likely get me warned x3. Let's just say I hate the theories, the evidence is... vaguely implied, at BEST, and it's much more likely that Chell was simply a random volunteer. She could well be an orphan, and my own thoughts on it include the Aperture brand orphanages (mentioned in the ARG, look it up on the Combine Overwiki). And that's about it.

The potato thing just feels more like an easter egg, to me.

Oh, and about Caroline? A recent podcast (I think... Giantbomb or something) shed some light on that: GLaDOS DID delete her. Anything else would be wildly out of character. And Chell is a normal person, not a clone/kid who was artificially aged/robot/whatever.

It wouldn't be a fun fan theory if it was outright confirmed, would it? tongue.gif

And about the GlaDOS deletion thing, she's a pathological liar who will go back on her word for what best suits her. At the beginning of the game, she mocks Chell for being fat and an orphan, but when Wheatley mocks Chell later, she stands up for Chell and asks Wheatley to extrapolate on "what's so bad about being an orphan?". Granted, I think we can agree that GlaDOS probably didn't entirely defend Chell for Chell's sake and just wanted to mock Wheatley's lack of intelligence, but she still would have to be lying in one instance or the other. There's also the companion cube at the end...

So I don't think we can take GlaDOS's word for it, nor say it's in or out of character...

Also, since Caroline's singing occurs after GlaDOS deletes her, I imagine that GlaDOS would either have to have lied about deleting her, or Caroline would have to have survived elsewhere in some way (in another piece of circuitry or something?).

So there's that...

Also, was anyone but me VERY disturbed by the currets? They were narmy from a distance when they were learning to dance, but carrying them and seeing them look at you and snarl and stuff... and watching them move about... nightmare fuel...

Also, Space Court. For people in space. The Judge Space of the Sun presiding. Ma'am. Guilty. Of being in space.

And the Adventure core is underrated as well... Silly thing thinks it can help Chell...

-K-

Edited by Kamak

It wouldn't be a fun fan theory if it was outright confirmed, would it? tongue.gif

And about the GlaDOS deletion thing, she's a pathological liar who will go back on her word for what best suits her. At the beginning of the game, she mocks Chell for being fat and an orphan, but when Wheatley mocks Chell later, she stands up for Chell and asks Wheatley to extrapolate on "what's so bad about being an orphan?". Granted, I think we can agree that GlaDOS probably didn't entirely defend Chell for Chell's sake and just wanted to mock Wheatley's lack of intelligence, but she still would have to be lying in one instance or the other. There's also the companion cube at the end...

So I don't think we can take GlaDOS's word for it, nor say it's in or out of character...

Also, since Caroline's singing occurs after GlaDOS deletes her, I imagine that GlaDOS would either have to have lied about deleting her, or Caroline would have to have survived elsewhere in some way (in another piece of circuitry or something?).

So there's that...

Also, was anyone but me VERY disturbed by the currets? They were narmy from a distance when they were learning to dance, but carrying them and seeing them look at you and snarl and stuff... and watching them move about... nightmare fuel...

Also, Space Court. For people in space. The Judge Space of the Sun presiding. Ma'am. Guilty. Of being in space.

And the Adventure core is underrated as well... Silly thing thinks it can help Chell...

-K-

Spoilers...

But it helps clear a ton up. The portion applicable to this is around... 28:00. She learns a lesson, then promptly deletes it. Then learns another lesson from it. (Also, I wish they'd kept the '3 minute game' thing xd.png)

GLaDOS is only GLaDOS, and Chell is not a clone. (Sorry, that's just another theory that's bugged the crap out of me since I first heard it x3) It's... possible Caroline is still in there, somewhere, but those imprints no longer have any impact on GLaDOS. They are completely separate entities. They always were. Caroline might have been the base, but what you saw by Portal/Portal 2 was a completely different being.

Oh god, the Frankencubes... remember the paradox? The paradox that did not hurt Wheatley? Watch the Frankencubes.

Those poor little things.

Aha... the cores xd.png I loved the Space and Fact cores.

Rick was kind of... ... I didn't like him. He was just creepy. (I'm so tempted to write up a thing involving my interpretation of events/Chell and Rick will be met with... ... well, disgust, I guess xd.png)

Edited by Dr. Paine

I think it's the lack of an idiot voiced by Steven Merchant that makes co-op less fun. I thought Wheatley was a great character, but you could see the plot twist in the middle coming from miles away. I didn't like the idea of (SPOILER ALERT) GLaDoS being Caroline, however. I was glad when she was deleted at the end. I was also glad to see the return of all the secrets, and the Companion Cube, but no mention of the cake is unforgivable. Valve, I have lost faith in you. The only way to rekindle this faith is to de-code the Rat Man's message and tell me it's the confirmation for Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

There is a mention of the cake.

I'm actually Valve kept it to a mimimum. That joke has been beaten to death.

And Kamak (SPOILER) you're taking the "What's so bad about being an orphan?" line out of context, because you're negelcting the imediate next line where she lowers her voice to Chell only and says "For the record, you are adopted and that's horrible, but go with me here."

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

There is a mention of the cake.

I'm actually Valve kept it to a mimimum. That joke has been beaten to death.

And Kamak (SPOILER) you're taking the "What's so bad about being an orphan?" line out of context, because you're negelcting the imediate next line where she lowers her voice to Chell only and says "For the record, you are adopted and that's horrible, but go with me here."

Yep.

Oh god, and I loved the cake joke in Portal 2 xd.png It was actually funny.

And the Rat Man's message... you mean the Morse Code in the Final Transmission achievement? It leads to an image of the Companion Cube.