St. Jimmy

Green Day

Eh for me it's personal preference. I prefer the latter two album's songs to the earlier work. Not that it's not good stuff though, far from it. I just prefer listening to Viva La Gloria! Over some of the stuff on Kerplunk.

Oh I can't blame you for that. I don't listen to 1,039/Smooth very often myself, and I rarely listen to Warning either. Thing that gets me is that so many of the 'new' fans don't even seem to realise those albums exist. I've seen that puzzeled look on kids' faces that says they never heard the song before, and can't quite work out why Green Day are playing it.

I got into Green Day after the concert when I realized.. "Oh my god. I've heard these songs so many times and I feel like an idiot to not know they were all Green Day!" Of course I couldn't sing a lick of anything- much less his songs from American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. I think I knew the ones that all the kids these days know such as 21 Guns, Holiday, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Wake me Up When September Ends, and St. Jimmy.

I didn't question why they were playing songs I didn't know, I was just listening really.

I think I've gone song searching as far back as Kerplunk. I didn't listen to the first one. I probably should; I've always been a sucker for older music. Comes with being a Beatles and Bowie fanatic.

What is everyone's favorite Green Day song anyways?

Mine has been St. Jimmy for the longest time... but I really love King for a Day. laugh.gif

Edited by Earth Gurl

Oh I can't blame you for that. I don't listen to 1,039/Smooth very often myself, and I rarely listen to Warning either. Thing that gets me is that so many of the 'new' fans don't even seem to realise those albums exist. I've seen that puzzeled look on kids' faces that says they never heard the song before, and can't quite work out why Green Day are playing it.

I agree with you there - every song of theirs, I've given a good solid runthrough at least once before deciding I didn't care for it so much.

In my opinion, the difference in sounds is comparable to pre-Fear of the Dark Maiden and post-Brave New World. At BNW and after, they have a more progressive metal sound and before that, they're classic metal.

Edit: My favorite song with Green Day's would have to be Time Of Your Life or Viva La Gloria.

Edited by War Pig Killer

I can't remember if I posted my favorite songs already... It's a tie between Holiday and 21 Guns, with Longview and St. Jimmy tied for a close second.

I agree with you there - every song of theirs, I've given a good solid runthrough at least once before deciding I didn't care for it so much.

In my opinion, the difference in sounds is comparable to pre-Fear of the Dark Maiden and post-Brave New World. At BNW and after, they have a more progressive metal sound and before that, they're classic metal.

Edit: My favorite song with Green Day's would have to be Time Of Your Life or Viva La Gloria.

*nods* They have changed their sounds over the years. The early records especially are rather punk, which grades into pop-punk and later grades further into... prog-punk? Is that the right description? I don't know if it's an official genre, but it's what they now sound like to me.

I think I probably said already, but my two favourites are Good Riddence (Time Of Your Life) and Minority.

Edited to add: While I can recognise that, musicaly, 21 Guns is a very good song the lyrics tend to put me in a very bad mental place. I've actualy cried the times I've seen it performed live, and not in a good way either.

Edited by TikindiDragon

omj, i love green day! my favorite song of their's is Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

I walk a lonely road, the only one that I have ever known

I don't know where it goes, but it's home to me and I walk alone.

I heard they were named Green Day becuase Billy Joe smokes pot. I'm not sure if I beleive that, though...

I heard they were named Green Day becuase Billy Joe smokes pot. I'm not sure if I beleive that, though...

I've heard from a lot of places that someone on Sesame Street said "Today is a green day!" or something like that, and since they were smoking weed at the time they thought that was funny. I'm not sure if it's true, but weed was most likely involved.

Pretty much, yeah. Rather a lot of their early material mentions pot smoking. Longview is a pretty famous example of said.

OMG! I love them xd.png. I am a bit of a fangirl for Billie Joe; he's gorgeous and sexy! Not to mention talented. They all are!

Longview is about masturbation xP. They had a song by the name of "Green Day", which was about a day of weed smoking. At that time they were "Sweet Children" with John Kiffmeyer AKA Al Sobrante.

So I recorded a cover of Extraordinary Girl for Les, for Valentine's/her B-day. Should I post it on YT and post it here?

Green Day is awesome. They have been my favorite band for the longest time. Billie joe Armstrongs voice is beautiful, and Tre` Cool is just epic. O ya Mike Dirnt is way chill!

I'm not really into rock/punk rock or whatever Green Day is. But of course I like 'American Idiot'. xd.png And I remember buying '21 Guns' after hearing it on Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. That one was pretty good.

But other than those, all-in-all, not a big fan~

Green Day is awesome. They have been my favorite band for the longest time. Billie joe Armstrongs voice is beautiful, and Tre` Cool is just epic. O ya Mike Dirnt is way chill!

Lol yeah, I love Mike Dirnt. He's got a lot of great music of entry-level bass players. It's like the AC/DC of bass guitar tongue.gif

Longview is about masturbation xP.

And pot smoking. It's pretty much a 'what to do when you have nothing but time on your hands' kinda song... and the answer, clearly, is masturbate and smoke pot.

Their lyrics have matured just a tad since then wink.gif

@ WPK - lets be honest about it, a lot of Billie's guitar work on the earlier stuff isn't exactly hard either. And Boulevard of Broken dreams pretty much is Wonderwall. It's been hillariously funny the couple of times I've seen them live when Billie starts to play Boulevard and the crowd start singing Wonderwall. Though maybe that only happens in the UK.....

Green Day is pretty good. though they are not my favourite band.

Tiki: Oh I absolutely agree. The only ones that have ever given me any trouble on guitar are Wake Me Up When September Ends, and Good Riddance (Time of your Life).

I recently found Kerplunk (their 2nd album) while shopping for Mothers day pressents at an antique shop. I LOVE LISTENING TO GREEN DAY PLAY MY GENERATION BY THE WHO!!!

My friend sucked me into Greenday by showing me the music video for Jesus of suburbia. I had listened to them before, but that song and video hooked me right in

I'm such a band fangirl. They're such a wonderful band... I have several CDs.

My aunt just got my cousin and I tickets to a Green Day concert. Last concert of theirs that I went to was in 2010 when I was the tender age of 11. rolleyes.gif I actually stopped listening to Green Day a while ago so I'm not familiar with their most recent work, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the concert regardless! tongue.gif

I HEARD GREEN DAY

but ok i got tickets to see green day at the white river amphitheater and i'm so excited??????? like,,,,,, i'm going to see my sons,,,,,, and that is a great thing

Ahh, just saw Green Day perform in my home town of Hamilton a couple days ago! It was awesome, brought back some great memories from the first time I saw them live. Magnificent performance, gents! wub.gif