MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

I think everyone should have that right. Straight, gay, trans, everyone should be able to love and marry and have a family without any of this crap they get put through.

You know, 20 or so years from now, after this "anti-gay" craze has calmed down, most people are going to see today's homophobes as complete idiots. I can see a lot of similarities between today's gay marriage plight and the 1960's equal rights plight.

So Hi

Just thought i'd share this since I am so proud of my Dad right now.

Gay marriage is legal in my home state, where my parents still reside. We're from a really small town, where every one knows everyone else and all that stuff. And my Dad is a sports official. In the summer its baseball/ soft ball umpire, then fall its football referee, winter is basketball etc...

Through high school sports he knows a lot of people, watched a lot of kids grow up and this summer one of my friends that stayed in that sleepy town wanted to get married to her partner of several years. Dad knows them both through the woman's softball league and when he heard that they couldn't have a *wedding* because the only people who could officially wed a couple were affiliated with churches and they wouldn't do it for a same sex couple. The justice of the peace was an elderly lady who would do it only at the courthouse and only because she had to.

That was it. There was no one else unless they brought in someone that would wed a same sex couple from the city a few hours away and who they didn't even know.

So my Dad took the test, registered with the state and will be the official at their wedding next month.

smile.gif for good people in the world.

I'm curious what you mean by this sentence:

"I know someone who is gay and I am friends with them because they act normally."

The way you have it phrased could easily be interpreted in a way I'm not sure you intended.

I'm curious what you mean by this sentence:

"I know someone who is gay and I am friends with them because they act normally."

The way you have it phrased could easily be interpreted in a way I'm not sure you intended.

Like there like every other person you see on the street when walking, no different.

Like there like every other person you see on the street when walking, no different.

So...how does someone not do this? o_O

So...how does someone not do this? o_O

Your confusing me SockPuppet. They are just a normal person that is gay and I treat them like you would any friend.

I think with the way you worded it, people could interpret it as that if a homosexual person wasn't acting what would be considered normal you wouldn't want to be friends with them.

I think with the way you worded it, people could interpret it as that if a homosexual person wasn't acting what would be considered normal you wouldn't want to be friends with them.

I see. Then I guess It did need reworded because I didn't want it to sound like they were acting nonormal for being homosexual.

I think the bad wording is in the "I am friends with them because they act normally" which could lead to the interpretation that if they were not "normal" you would not be friends with them.

It's probably just a badly worded sentence, but there is a need for careful wording when talking about certain subjects.

I think the bad wording is in the "I am friends with them because they act normally" which could lead to the interpretation that if they were not "normal" you would not be friends with them.

It's probably just a badly worded sentence, but there is a need for careful wording when talking about certain subjects.

True I didn't think of it like that thank you I don't want to down side my friend who is gay.

I simply wish to ask, why do you not like his support for gay marriage?

I don't understand the welfare/healthcare debate since I don't fully understand the terms and guidelines in it.

Also, how does gay marriage affect you, personally? You're not going to be forced to marry someone of the same gender, so why do you care if other people do?

This.

I am a Catholic, but I do not let my religion blindly lead me or take control of my personal decisions, especially on the topic of gay marriage. I do question the Old Testament at times, but this is no way means I'm against the church in a whole. I go to mass each week, take part in confession, and am a lector for my parish. I believe I'm living a proper catholic life, but I do not agree with the church on gay marriage, and those are also my personal rights.

This.

I am a Catholic, but I do not let my religion blindly lead me or take control of my personal decisions, especially on the topic of gay marriage. I do question the Old Testament at times, but this is no way means I'm against the church in a whole. I go to mass each week, take part in confession, and am a lector for my parish. I believe I'm living a proper catholic life, but I do not agree with the church on gay marriage, and those are also my personal rights.

I want you, because I asked earlier and never got an answer, to completely ignore what your religion is and what your church says. I want you to tell me why you personally are against gay marriage without any mention (directly or indirectly) of your religion. Can you tell me why without referencing anything from your precious bible because people of all ages and all religions tend to twist the words of their sacred texts into something that fits their desires.

I want you, because I asked earlier and never got an answer, to completely ignore what your religion is and what your church says. I want you to tell me why you personally are against gay marriage without any mention (directly or indirectly) of your religion. Can you tell me why without referencing anything from your precious bible because people of all ages and all religions tend to twist the words of their sacred texts into something that fits their desires.

I'm sorry, but you clearly read everything I just posted wrong. Read it again, slowly. You'll realize what you've just posted makes no sense.

You must think I'm nicknick, or you're truly against Catholicism.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

I don't know NickNick's opinion on gay marriage. However, I am against Catholicism to an extent. I do, though, have an openly gay friend who is very steadfast to his Catholic religion.

I apologize for assuming you were against gay marriage. I thought the Church had shown support for same-sex couples being wed because I had heard about it or read about it somewhere maybe a year or two ago. Perhaps I'm mistaken or it wasn't encompassing every church in America. Additionally, I mistook you for someone else who had posted but never responded.

Additionally, my post does make sense. It was simply misdirected. People do manipulate their sacred texts to better fit their desires. It ties into why I am not a big fan of the Catholic religion. During slavery, 'religious' folk used the bible to give reason for brutally torturing/beating, raping, and killing slave and non-slave folk. They also used it as a main reason to have slavery itself outside of the desire to keep the Cotton Kingdom successful. It was similarly twisted to benefit the Caucasian settlers and take advantage of Native Americans (I personally believe Native Americans had a far better religion and were more 'proper religious folks' than the Catholics).

A sacred text has also been manipulated to reason for the terrorist attacks on 9/11. These are the only references I really know but I know there are other examples throughout history and the present.

Now tell me, are you for or against gay marriage because I am no confused about where the Church stands in all of this.

Read this:

There you go.

In all honesty, I am against gay marriage and do believe it's a sin. I do, however, believe gay people should be allowed to get married. I am a Catholic. The number one reason I believe homosexuality is a sin, is because the Bible says "Go forth and multiply". Can gays do that? But gay people should be allowed to be married in America at least, because it is their right. We cannot discriminate against them because of their sexual orientation. I am against gay marriage, but I would still vote for it. I just set the example by being straight. It is part of their basic freedom to be gay

Eh, I know guys. It just periodically drives me round the bend seeing people here on DC going all out hostile when someone says the 'C' word, without ever stopping to check exactly what the person thinks first. It's like insta-judging people on one aspect of who they are. Most of you would be totally horrified to see someone verbally ripped to shreds when they said they were an atheist, why should it be any different when a person says they are Christian?

And, yes, part of this is because (as some of you should already know) I'm Christian myself. And I really hate seeing my fellows judged like that before you've even given them a chance of seeing what they're like.

I do have a small amount of fear that my church and high school may treat me lesser than I should be treated if I ever directly mentioned that I was supportive of marriage equality. I think if my church ever had me read a passage at mass that contained an anti-LGBT message (direct or undirect) and I refused, I would hope that they didn't try to demonize me because of my beliefs. I also go to an all-boys school, where homophobia is dominant, so if I revealed that I was supportive of them in even a small way, I would be ridiculed daily.

But not all Catholics discrimate against marriage equality, of course. Just the ones with higher power and voice might.

In all honesty, I am against gay marriage and do believe it's a sin. I do, however, believe gay people should be allowed to get married. I am a Catholic. The number one reason I believe homosexuality is a sin, is because the Bible says "Go forth and multiply". Can gays do that? But gay people should be allowed to be married in America at least, because it is their right. We cannot discriminate against them because of their sexual orientation. I am against gay marriage, but I would still vote for it. I just set the example by being straight. It is part of their basic freedom to be gay

So by the logic of "go forth and multiply", are you saying that you are also against the marriage of people who are physically unable to reproduce, such as the barren or elderly? Sexual orientation is not a choice, so if you believe it is morally wrong for homosexuals to marry because their coupling cannot produce children for reasons beyond their control, then logically you would apply that same principle to heterosexuals who also cannot produce children for reasons beyond their control, because drawing an arbitrary line through sexuality is discrimination. And what about those who choose not to have children? Is that a sin? Are you against their marriage?

Edited by Lythiaren

Eh, I know guys. It just periodically drives me round the bend seeing people here on DC going all out hostile when someone says the 'C' word, without ever stopping to check exactly what the person thinks first. It's like insta-judging people on one aspect of who they are. Most of you would be totally horrified to see someone verbally ripped to shreds when they said they were an atheist, why should it be any different when a person says they are Christian?

And, yes, part of this is because (as some of you should already know) I'm Christian myself. And I really hate seeing my fellows judged like that before you've even given them a chance of seeing what they're like.

It's difficult, because generalization is part of how we categorize things as humans, and also because if a large number of people in a certain category act in a certain way, it's useful to be able to refer to them by that category rather than a detailed descriptor.

But this is also how we end up with stereotypes and prejudice.

Also, sometimes I've seen people try to No True Scotsman away the problematic beliefs of a group they belong to, and that's frustrating, too.

I do have a small amount of fear that my church and high school may treat me lesser than I should be treated if I ever directly mentioned that I was supportive of marriage equality. I think if my church ever had me read a passage at mass that contained an anti-LGBT message (direct or undirect) and I refused, I would hope that they didn't try to demonize me because of my beliefs. I also go to an all-boys school, where homophobia is dominant, so if I revealed that I was supportive of them in even a small way, I would be ridiculed daily.

But not all Catholics discrimate against marriage equality, of course. Just the ones with higher power and voice might.

So you let this bit of fear get in the way of open support? Honestly, what should you care about what others say? It's their opinion and your support is your opinion. If they don't like it, tough. They can deal with it. It doesn't affect them in any aspect.

Additionally, there is no such thing as homophobia. It is not a fear of homosexuality. In reality, the term is simply used as a more 'polite' way to describe someone as being discriminatory or having bigotry towards a different sexuality. I mean, do you hear terms describing someone having issues with another person for being pansexual or transgender that ends in "phobia?" No. So, it'd be a very nice thing if people stopped using homophobia in place of "bigot" or simply "intolerance." It's not a fear; it's intolerance and discrimination.

So by the logic of "go forth and multiply", are you saying that you are also against the marriage of people who are physically unable to reproduce, such as the barren or elderly? Sexual orientation is not a choice, so if you believe it is morally wrong for homosexuals to marry because their coupling cannot produce children for reasons beyond their control, then logically you would apply that same principle to heterosexuals who also cannot produce children for reasons beyond their control, because drawing an arbitrary line through sexuality is discrimination. And what about those who choose not to have children? Is that a sin? Are you against their marriage?

I'm glad you made this point as I was going to as well. I have seen photos of Facebook statuses where someone against same-sex marriage points out a quote from the bible saying that "man should not lie with another man as he would lie with woman." The circled response to that status is someone pointing out that, firstly, it meant that man should not lay down with another man as if he were property because, back in that age, women were property - not people - and there were laws that prevented a man from laying down with another man's "property." Additionally, they pointed out that the original person should take note of the rest of the corresponding book; highlighting that it condemned women to death for not being a virgin until their wedding day, condemned to death those that committed rape or laid with another man as if he were property and so forth. Thus, we'd be putting practically the entire population beyond the age of 12/13 (these days x.x) on death row or filling our prisons with radical Catholics who saw fit to murder the rest of the population for sex before marriage, rape, or treating someone else like property.

Similarly, Nick, there is no example to set by "being straight." You can't set an example on who to love, the human heart/mind/emotions doesn't work like that. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, you're straight. If you're pansexual, you're pansexual. Sure, the old days saw married couples referred to as "beards" because a gay man and lesbian women wedded each other but felt no sexual attraction towards each other. Going off of Lyth's point, you can't be barren most of your life and one day say "I'm going to get pregnant." It doesn't work. Similarly, some people don't want kids or they are fit to be parents because of their life habits/styles and ultimate decisions. To have children (adopted or not), you should have a general acceptance that you will be responsible for that child (or children) and that you will care for them with a loving heart, putting them before yourself.

The exact case goes for homosexuals. They can't wake up one day and say "oh! I actually am attracted to the opposite sex! Silly me!" Instead, the reverse happens. Most heterosexuals put homosexuals into an uncomfortable world where they are condemned for being who they are when this world always encourages people to be who they truly are. So, what are certain young folk going to do? Believe themselves to be attracted to the opposite sex in fear of judgement but lead an unhappy life when they can't find someone they can feel companionship with. Then, when they realize they are growing attracted to someone of their own gender, they fear it and try to deny what's in their heart, try to deny who they are and end up more miserable. Now, if they came to terms with it, they still face the fear of judgement from those around them, especially their family. And what sort of world is this that kids fear their own family? It's not right. It's sickeningly twisted. And it makes me lose hope in this world.

Now, let me provide you with a bit of facts. There are hundreds of animal breeds across the entire planet who have homosexuality mingled in with heterosexuality. The human race is the only animal breed that has creatures who are against homosexuality. And for what reason? Because homosexuality is different from the so called "norm?" There is no such thing as "normal" these days and, if being different was the bases for others being intolerant, then those same people should be intolerant of all those who have birth defects, who have genetic diseases, who are disabled, who are "different" because of their DNA or physical traits that are not found in those who are "normal."

I have glasses and I have burn scars that make me different from the next person without glasses or burn scars. Does that give them the right to be intolerant of me? My eyes are weaker than what's average or "normal" to be because of my DNA, because of what I inherited. Yet many tolerate me and I'm free to be myself.

What of a blind individual? Or a disabled veteran? Or a child with blood disease? Same questions apply. So, why not to same-sex couples, transgender or pansexual individuals?

EDIT: That was a lot to say and I know some of it may be "kicking the dead horse" or not fully make sense to anyone else.

Edited by Narvix

I'm going to start out saying that if anyone thinks I'm getting to angry or anything, let me know. I've "exploded" (best word I can think of) way to many times on this site.

I'm also going to try to follow TikindiDragon's advice, sorry if I offend anyone, I don't mean to.

I am personally against homosexuality, for several reasons. I will be honest though, I used to think the Old Testament (derp, I forgot to say that I am a Christian) writings about it being wrong were enough. Which they aren't. Christ himself made a new covenant, we don't have to follow the old one anymore. Verse

I don't think like that anymore though (obviously). But something Bacon said a while back prompted me to research, I did find this verse(s), as well as several others, indicating it to still be wrong. Not to mention this passage, which indicates that we should continue to follow Old Testament laws if it might cause others to falter in their faith. (Which doesn't apply at all to non-Christians.)

I don't believe in hating homosexuals, if anything it gives all the more reason to show them the love of Christ. And, just to clarify, I mean that because of oppression, suicide, and stuff, not because what they're doing is wrong. (Though I do believe it is.)

And lastly, for anyone who might think I have no personal experience, my favorite cousin is a lesbian.

But that's all just my opinion, no one is forced to follow it. However, marriage is a religious practice, I think the government should stay out of it. If a pastor, priest, etc is willing to marry a homosexual couple, it's their right. But I don't think the government should have a say either way.

P.S. That last bit is a bit rushed, I just really want to get this post out before I leave. Sorry if it sounds stupid.