MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

To sum it up: the next generation of my country's leaders will probably be homophobic. And I don't even want to know their stances on gender issues.

They probably amount to "Oh noes, there are male bodied people who say they are women, and female bodied people who say they are men? And there are people who say they are neither, or both, or somewhere in the middle? There are people whose gender is the same as their sex, but who don't want to conform to rigid gender roles? BURN THEM ALL! Heteronormativity and binary gender norms must be preserved at all costs!"

Except, you know, less coherently-worded than that. xd.png

I'm sorry your country has to deal with being home to so many stupid, intolerant people. sad.gif That number of signatures is kind of scary, TBH.

Soooo. Gay right were brought into the spotlight during last few months in my country. Of course, immediately, petitions "for the family" showed up (the most popular one has over five hundred thousand signatures, in a country with four million people. And you have to be over eighteen yo to sign it. It's that bad).

That's..... Just.... Really freaking sad. I mean, gay rights have been in the spotlight for awhile now in the US so it's common for Americans to verbalize for-or-against, I've seen similar petitions around here, but.... Thankfully, while the homophobes are loud and persistent, they don't seem to be the majority anymore (based on research/statistics I've seen I-have-no-idea-where). THAT is... an alarming number of signatures and I'm so sorry you have to be in the middle of that sort of thing.

Well I think people should be allowed to marry whoever they want. I mean even some celebrities like Ellen de generous are gay and all that and I don't see why they cant just be who they want to be.

They probably amount to "Oh noes, there are male bodied people who say they are women, and female bodied people who say they are men? And there are people who say they are neither, or both, or somewhere in the middle? There are people whose gender is the same as their sex, but who don't want to conform to rigid gender roles? BURN THEM ALL! Heteronormativity and binary gender norms must be preserved at all costs!"

Except, you know, less coherently-worded than that. xd.png

I'm sorry your country has to deal with being home to so many stupid, intolerant people. sad.gif That number of signatures is kind of scary, TBH.

... It went somewhat like that. This year, the government tried to put two hours of sex ed in the schools. Among the expected stuff (condoms, pregnancy etc.) a lot of people were surprised that curriculum also had chapters on gays and transgenders. Nothing scary, just your regular stuff explaining that they were born that way and that they are perfectly normal.

It didn't go well. And, I'm pretty sure that the majority of them really wouldn't understand the concept of gender fluidity, or anything in between.

It basically goes over like this: old people - no understanding from them. To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if some of them still kept Ustasha symbols.

Middle aged - it depends. Some of them didn't even have a stance of their own, so they just signed what their kids asked them too.

College kids: "liberal" colleges are full of people that understand gay rights. In others, it's mixed, although the kids who are in a political party tend to show alarming intolerance.

The biggest problem is the church. They finance all those petitions, and they financed every movement against sex ed. And they are the loudest ones. In a country with over 90% Catholics, church's voice gets a lot of attention and sway.

The biggest problem is the church. They finance all those petitions, and they financed every movement against sex ed. And they are the loudest ones. In a country with over 90% Catholics, church's voice gets a lot of attention and sway.

Somehow, I'm not surprised about that. I find that while actual practicing Catholics themselves are becoming more open to this kind of stuff (at least a number of the ones I've met), the hierarchy itself is...not. Very, very definitely not.

I assume everyone's heard by now, but the US Supreme Court has ruled that couples married in states where gay marriage is legal will have their marriages recognized by the federal government. This is a huge step towards equality: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/26/politics/sco....html?hpt=hp_t1

And it leads to follow up stories like that of Steven, a gay Colombian man who is legally married to an American citizen who was about to be deported because his marriage was not federally recognized.

http://thinkprogress.org/immigration/2013/...ps-deportation/

I am 100% for Same-sex marriage, I mean why does gender matter when two people care deeply for each other and wish to spend the rest of their lives together in happiness (or misery depending on how you look at things =p)

To be honest this ^ shouldn't have any sway (at least in the states) simply based on our constitution (Separation of Church and State). That portion alone should be enough to shut down the religious bias against same-sex marriage.

I am extremely proud that we have taken the next step for equality amongst ALL of our citizens.

I was so glad when I woke up Sunday morning to find rainbow flags in the photo on the front page of my local sort-of conservative newspaper. They did two articles on the Supreme Court marriage equality rulings. I wish I could have clipped the article to save it, but I had to wait until other people had read it and it got misplaced... :/

I'm really excited for the future of marriage in America. I live in Pennsylvania, which is incredibly conservative in all but the cities, but I'm holding out hope that I'll be able to marry here someday, hopefully in the not-so-distant future.

/screams about DOMA and Prop 8

That was the best news! I was at SF Pride the entire weekend with my girlfriend, and it was HUGE. And completely heartwarming to see all of the couples out there, some of them even getting married on the stage! smile.gif

Glad to see the world is finally waking up and accepting the most basic of principles; we're all humans and we all deserve love.

I'm a proud pansexual and am obviously for any form of gay marriage. smile.gif The bits in between a person's legs don't make them a person, nor do they dictate who that person is "supposed to" love.

As for the religious argument . . . well, I dislike "cherry picking" the Bible or any other book because it seems hypocritical. Twisting your faith to suit your needs is hypocritical. Bigotry wrapped in scripture is still bigotry. Also, I am not a Christian, so why should your beliefs have any bearing on my own?

Quite simply, they don't. wink.gif

I literally heard this today:

"Let gays get together, but don't call it marriage! That word is already in use!"

And...

"I'm against homosexuality, but I'm not a homophobe I swear."

Are...are these people serious?

Just when I think I can't dislike humanity more...

I am 100% in favour of equal gay marriage. We've had this in Canada for almost a decade now, without any negative results as far as anyone can see. Of course. This should have been obvious, but some people predicted the sky would fall the next day after the law went into effect. :-) biggrin.gif

"I'm against homosexuality, but I'm not a homophobe I swear."

I can actually understand this one. In general, a homophobe is thought to be outspoken against gays, won't be friends with a gay person, etc. (Not saying that's always the case, but in general) But there *are* people who can personally feel that homosexuality is wrong while also letting them live their lives and not being all in your face about it.

I guess it's all in the way you interpret the words. One of my closest friends believes that homosexuality is a sin, but we've even talked about it and she doesn't think less of me because of who I am. It's her belief, and thankfully she doesn't push it on me.

I can actually understand this one. In general, a homophobe is thought to be outspoken against gays, won't be friends with a gay person, etc. (Not saying that's always the case, but in general) But there *are* people who can personally feel that homosexuality is wrong while also letting them live their lives and not being all in your face about it.

I guess it's all in the way you interpret the words. One of my closest friends believes that homosexuality is a sin, but we've even talked about it and she doesn't think less of me because of who I am. It's her belief, and thankfully she doesn't push it on me.

To me it's gonna come down to how you vote.

To me it's gonna come down to how you vote.

On direct voting on particular issues, yes. If they simply vote Republican that, for me, wouldn't be enough to say they were voting against homosexuality.

Abstention on votes would also be acceptable.

Just curious. Is this thread about gay marriage only, or the LGBT topic in general?

Just curious. Is this thread about gay marriage only, or the LGBT topic in general?

It's sort of general purpose. smile.gif

It's mostly gay marriage, we have a Sexual Orientation thread for discussing sexual orientations and/or news revolving around the different ones. We also have a Gay Straight Alliance thread as our safe haven for LGBT folk who want a place to talk about LGBT related activities/news without debates or negative comments.

c:

I'm a Catholic, but I'm all for separation of the church from government and its matters. I also support gay rights/marriage.

If Catholics of the 21st century followed everything the Old Testament says to a tee, eating pork, shellfish, and wearing clothes woven with different fabrics would also be sinful.

Edit: I just realized it seems I repeated what anmiller said.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

This. Just This.

And that's not even including the song!

Yep, rain and big gay rainbows - ya wanted a sign?