MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

One of my coworkers is a generally nice guy, but he doesn't believe in Evolution and really doesn't like gay marriage. But even though he doesn't believe in evolution, I've noticed he'll often comment that someone needs to "evolve"

:3

I haven't pointed it out because I'm a bit afraid he'll get really upset. But it's funny, nonetheless.

It doesn't put me off. ^^ I'm still here to learn.

So after having time to think about what I had written, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the issue for me might be less about what the Bible says about Gay Marriage, but more to do with my beliefs about how to interact with other people.

*sigh*

So much to learn about.

Was the flood worldwide or localized?

Since evolution is basically a fact now, what do I do with that? (I basically just learned that, it had always seemed like more of a theory to me, but I just learned that that is more misleading than anything)

How do I treat other people? (A lot of issues stem off of this one)

Plus a few other things to sort out that people have struggled with for ages, like

What is the meaning of life?

What is the meaning of my life?

smile.gif

But at least all that will give me a lot to do.

As to Paul and homosexuality in the New Testament, if I come upon anything of interest to this thread I may add it. But for now my ignorance is too great so I shall just listen. (Unless talked to ^^)

Good for you for thinking about this and trying to educate yourself. Most of the people that I see argue against evolution really just don't understand evolution, or get what the scientific community means by the word "theory." It's good for you to step up and think these things through.

The Minnesota House passed their same-sex marriage bill and the Senate is expected to follow suit. Fingers crossed!

The Governor of Illinois is pushing the House there to vote now on their same-sex marriage bill, hoping it will pass.

~

Good luck to those of you discovering and thinking about your own identities. <3

MN Senate voted to pass it! Congrats, MN! Way to lead the Midwest!

Was the flood worldwide or localized?

Since evolution is basically a fact now, what do I do with that? (I basically just learned that, it had always seemed like more of a theory to me, but I just learned that that is more misleading than anything)

Well, if you're going by scientific findings and not by what the Bible says, we don't have any evidence for a flood at that time. It is possible that there were localized places of flooding (though couldn't name you any places to look up to research), but it certainly wasn't global. ^^;;

Well, if you're going by scientific findings and not by what the Bible says, we don't have any evidence for a flood at that time. It is possible that there were localized places of flooding (though couldn't name you any places to look up to research), but it certainly wasn't global. ^^;;

While it wasn't global as sock pointed out there are several other cultures that have similar great flood stories. You might be able to trace out where the flood accured based on geology and where these people were living around the approxomate time the flood accured.

I was raised Christian, but I've grown an adapted to where while I still believe that Jesus existed, I don't blindly follow everything the church teaches. I have come to find it hypocritical that those who sit in Sunday services will preach against the "sins" of those awful gay people (of which I am included, being bisexual and all) while leaving church to go watch Football (a sin on 2 accounts, using pigskin and having mixed fabric jerseys!), or they shave their beards, their Wives cut their hair, they have relations with their Wives while menstruating, and they eat shellfish. All sins from that same book called Leviticus.

I find it hypocritical that these people KNOW and ACKNOWLEDGE that they are sinners, can't help but sin (though we can all TRY our best), but yet will damn the first gay person they come across. A gay man/woman's sin is NO WORSE than the Sin you committed when you coveted your Neighbor's new car this morning.

I find it interesting that many of these people have been presented with the scientific knowledge that homosexuality is not just a human species trait, but many animal species have homosexual tendencies as well, but they refuse to believe that it is nature and not nurture. How many of these same people will refuse to let their Sons do anything that could be considered feminine because they are so afraid of their Sons becoming gay? NEWSFLASH, one simply does not "become gay", it is just a part of who a person is. Even one of the Champions of "overcoming the gay" just left his Wife, admitted he is still gay, and apologized for the things he wrote supporting the cause.

One does not choose to be straight, and one does not choose to be gay. Therefore, gay people should have all the same rights as straight people. Besides, I haven't heard of any straight person's marriage being destroyed because a gay couple got married, anyway. It's a legal binding, there's no hoodoo or voodoo involved, and gay people aren't so magic that we can destroy someone's marriage because we choose to marry who we love.

To those who oppose, enjoy your Chick-fil-A and self-righteousness, but remember you are NO BETTER and NO MORE DESERVING of marriage than someone who loves differently.

Well technically Iowa did it first, which is surprising because they're a far more conservative state.

But the bill was signed into law today at 5PM central time! As early as August 1st gay couples can get married! Perhaps even earlier, depending on a few things.

This week has been named as Pride Week by the St. Paul mayor, and one of the capitol bridges has been decked out in pride flags and there's just a huge party going on. It's fantastic!

As to Paul and homosexuality in the New Testament, if I come upon anything of interest to this thread I may add it. But for now my ignorance is too great so I shall just listen. (Unless talked to ^^)

Do you mind if a Jew talks to you? I have read the New Testament in Greek and Aramaic, and would like to talk to you about it, if you're willing. Can I ask what translation you use?

The passages concerning the damning of homosexuals seem to all be in the old testament

Pssst: Those passages explicitly have to do with sex with male temple prostitutes and male-on-male anal sex, not actually homosexuality.

Why all this discussion on the Bible?

Gay rights are a legal matter, and the religions can keep their noses out of it, imo.

Gay rights are a legal matter, and the religions can keep their noses out of it, imo.

Absolutely. But religion has snuck into politics big time mad.gif

Pssst: Those passages explicitly have to do with sex with male temple prostitutes and male-on-male anal sex, not actually homosexuality.

Thanks for correcting me. smile.gif

Just going to leave this here.

Despite the basis of American government being a separate entity from the Church, that hasn't happened. It's a great show of how people will listen to only the parts they want to.

In this case the common misconception is that the gay marriage law would effect religion. That's why it is so close to politics. But it won't. Now I have a question about being a homosexual person, if you are can you shoot me a message so I can ask?

Just going to leave this here.

Got a good chuckle after watching the first guy's reaction. smile.gif

The answer to whether being gay is a choice or not is really just as simple as that.

i have some gays in the family it is not a choice to be gay it just happens at a certain age they get this feelings.

Someone's proposing to allow adoption for same-sex pairs here in Czech Republic. Not many people seem to be supportive, though, it might just disappear. I'll be watching this closely.

The comment section of that article is apparently filled with homophobes and I had to leave before I'd break something. GAAAAH! mad.gif Guess I'm spoiled by this forum!

Fortunately, this server isn't the norm for all Czechs (hopefully!!), it's more like a place where the idiots gather or something. That's judging from other wonderful discussions as well. I still have a little bit of hope... little...

There is an opinion site called Sodahead that is full of people dead against gay rights. It can be depressing and downright toxic sometimes. In fact, I just got this exchange: (Question was are you for gay rights)

User 1

No. What rights do they so desperately need?

User 2

The right to marry the one they love.

User 1

Yeah right, lol.

Me

If you think gays don't deserve the same rights as everyone else, then go hit yourself in the face with a cactus.

User 1

I hope you get into a car, crash, and die, you annoying piece of censorkip.gif***.

Me

I would rather be annoying than an intolerant, discriminatory bigot.

You are the best example of why I hate my own species.

I'll have no more from you.

If you are interested in read the comments here is a Link Warning: may contain swearing and homophobia.

Soooo. Gay right were brought into the spotlight during last few months in my country. Of course, immediately, petitions "for the family" showed up (the most popular one has over five hundred thousand signatures, in a country with four million people. And you have to be over eighteen yo to sign it. It's that bad).

Now, I wasn't surprised that quite a lot of older people signed it. But I did almost fall down when a girl from my class suggested me to sign the petition since I'm one of the rare people in class old enough to sign it.

I really thought that most of my generation was better then that. Then again, people threw rocks at the parade last year.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

There is an opinion site called Sodahead that is full of people dead against gay rights. It can be depressing and downright toxic sometimes. In fact, I just got this exchange: (Question was are you for gay rights)

Gave that person a piece of my mind. I wonder how long it takes for my account to be banned. Oh well, I can always make a new one.

Edited by DarkEternity

Gave that person a piece of my mind. I wonder how long it takes for my account to be banned. Oh well, I can always make a new one.

I think I saw your comment, and I totally agree with what you said. I doubt your account will be banned since the first person was much ruder (if they do then I'll be surprised, especially if the first person doesn't get banned).

Some of the people who voted no have some really strange reasons (such as they think gay people will suddenly get more rights than normal people, and this must not happen1!!!1, or "Think it sounds wrong to have your son or daughter grow up wondering why he or she has two dads or two moms while her friends have A mom and A dad"). One person is even "proud" to be homophobic... People like this make me hate our species, although then I remember some of you lovely people here and I feel just a little better.

Wow, I'm sorry that it has that much support Origin. It's really not nice to hear that, but I imagine it must be worse for you.

Edited by sarahfish89

Go Eternity biggrin.gif

It's not bad for me - after all, they aren't taking away my rights. But I was surprised to find out that we are so far behind when it comes to issues like that. I mean, every kid from my school will enter college - we are basically raised to be "intellectuals", and by the amount of education we receive (including mandatory sociology classes) we should be less condescending towards other lifestyles.

To sum it up: the next generation of my country's leaders will probably be homophobic. And I don't even want to know their stances on gender issues.

People should be able to marry if they are gay and have as much right to divorce as everyone else. I like to think that if its so wrong, why dont they have something against straight divorce?