MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

St. Jimmy, are you from RI?

I wish... I'm from Michigan. Still, maybe my state will follow suit someday.

Yaaayyyyyy Rhode Island!

.... Wonder how long it'll take Arizona to step up to the plate? Hmph.

Those who threaten to leave the US if gay rights and marriage is passed....I really wish they would.

Things would be easier to get done. lol....

The world is getting more open minded with each generation so I think its only a matter of time before being Gay is accepted everywhere. I am Dutch and I'm very proud of my country for legalizing Gay Marriage as one of the first. People are generally very accepting here of everything really!

Those who threaten to leave the US if gay rights and marriage is passed....I really wish they would.

Things would be easier to get done. lol....

Yup, it would be so much easier if they all just upped and left. Then the gay rights bill would be passed pretty quickly. People really do overreact to pretty much anything and everything; "I'm going to leave or kill or whatever if x, y, or z is pass/happens".

Glad to hear that France and Rhode Island have passed the gay marriage bill recently! It's pretty awesome, hopefully more countries/states will follow these examples.

My godfathers are married. To eachother.

Since Massachusetts allows gay marrage, but the Federal Government doesn't, every time they pay their taxes they have to write to the Government and say that they are married, but cannot say so on their Federal tax payments because it is tecnically not allowed to be married.

Is that annoying or what?

EDIT: Refrase.

Edited by herobrine745

Going back to Jason Collins for a moment as I just learned something. He claimed he was the first major athlete to come out....well he wasn't: Glenn Burke was, way back in the 1970s.

Unrelated to Collins, but I wanted to share this story as well: Youtuble celebrity says his homosexuality has been 'lifted' (being theBlaze, beware of the comments after the article).

Every time I see a story like that I think to myself 'either he decided to lie to himself to 'blend in' with society, or he's really bi'.

Going back to Jason Collins for a moment as I just learned something.  He claimed he was the first major athlete to come out....well he wasn't:  Glenn Burke was, way back in the 1970s.

Unrelated to Collins, but I wanted to share this story as well:  Youtuble celebrity says his homosexuality has been 'lifted'  (being theBlaze, beware of the comments after the article).

Every time I see a story like that I think to myself 'either he decided to lie to himself to 'blend in' with society, or he's really bi'.

I believe the point is he was the first to publicly come out while actively playing. Burke's homosexuality was made public in 1982.

As far as reorientation, sometimes it's actively suppressed through chemical castration, electroshock, or aversion therapy to the point where you don't want sex anymore.

Edited by ShinyTomato

Congrats, Delaware! c:

~

Slaskia, I posted a link of 9 GSM athletes of color who paved the way for Jason Collins. Some of them are still active athletes, if you're interested. :3

It's like a wave of sanity is sweeping the nation!  ^^
One less thing to be insane over is one more thing crossed off the list for me to be shameful of America for. smile.gif A step closer to much needed change, if you ask me.

Okay; My opinion.

For one, I hear it allll the time how Christians don't support giving gays rights. But really it's not always them. Then again, in the majority of cases, yeah, they have a problem with it. I guess I'm another exception out of many. (then again, I'm an exception to a LOT of things.)

But it's not all them. Other people who aren't Christian have problems with gay rights, too. Just saying.

Honestly I have tons of friends, know tons of people who are gay/lesbian/whatever. I couldn't care less, and I think people who feel this way should be allowed to be happy. I mean, why not? Others are perfectly happy with being married to their partners of the opposite sex, why not one who's the same? How would they feel knowing people didn't approve of their relationships? I know I'd hate being criticized for loving who I love. And we can't help it, so how can a man or woman who loves another person of their sex help it? This is just my thought process.

I'm all for gay rights. And to the people who are put out because of their sexuality but fight for it anyway, go you, keep fighting for what you believe in. Sometimes I wish I was brave enough, like these men and women, to take action over something, anything. And I know I'm not most of the time, but I do support this.

Longest post in my current DC history, lol. All I know is I'm gonna start stalking this thread.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. :x

Gay rights shouldn't even be a problem. America is supposed to be freaking equal. Come on, people. It doesn't matter what your sexual preference is. Everyone is a person and everyone deserves love; same sex or not. Get it through your heads.

Gay rights shouldn't even be a problem. America is supposed to be freaking equal. Come on, people. It doesn't matter what your sexual preference is. Everyone is a person and everyone deserves love; same sex or not. Get it through your heads.

Exactly.

Okay; My opinion.

For one, I hear it allll the time how Christians don't support giving gays rights. But really it's not always them. Then again, in the majority of cases, yeah, they have a problem with it. I guess I'm another exception out of many. (then again, I'm an exception to a LOT of things.)

But it's not all them. Other people who aren't Christian have problems with gay rights, too. Just saying.

Yeah, it's just that the US has so much Christian influence that Christian complaints against LGBT causes tend to be more politically significant than all the other groups, religious or cultural, who also feel they have reasons to discriminate against LGBT folks.

Of course, not everyone here is from the US, but since it's a US-based site, that probably colors the opinions slightly.

I may be a little biased with the Christians-not-supporting-gay-rights issue, since I was *dumped* after 3 years by a suddenly born-again Christian. Love of my life.

But I definitely agree not all Christians (or any religion) hold that opinion. Heck, in 10th grade one of my best friends was a gay guy who was a dedicated choir boy at his church. When I started hunting around for old school-friends on Facebook a year or two ago, I found two female friends from grade school who are now extremely religious (as evidenced by their posts). .... They are often among the first to "like" any pro-gay link I post.

An approach some Christians have that upsets me almost as much as being pro-heterosexual is one where they expect people to accept that they are non-heterosexual, but then expect that person to do nothing about it. E.G. it's okay to say you are gay, but you cannot have a boyfriend or partake in gay sex. That is an oppression almost as bad as standard pro-heterosexuality as it still involves the person having to hide, squash or otherwise go against the person they really are.

Yup, it would be so much easier if they all just upped and left. Then the gay rights bill would be passed pretty quickly. People really do overreact to pretty much anything and everything; "I'm going to leave or kill or whatever if x, y, or z is pass/happens".

Glad to hear that France and Rhode Island have passed the gay marriage bill recently! It's pretty awesome, hopefully more countries/states will follow these examples.

Delaware also just passed a law permitting gay marriage. :-)

Delaware also just passed a law permitting gay marriage. :-)

smile.gif more sense is showing up in the USA! smile.gif

An approach some Christians have that upsets me almost as much as being pro-heterosexual is one where they expect people to accept that they are non-heterosexual, but then expect that person to do nothing about it. E.G. it's okay to say you are gay, but you cannot have a boyfriend or partake in gay sex. That is an oppression almost as bad as standard pro-heterosexuality as it still involves the person having to hide, squash or otherwise go against the person they really are.

Sadly that attitude dates back to Paul - who was rather of the opinion that no one should be having sex if they could at all help it, homo- or hetero-sexual.

Yeah well, Paul was a real piece of work, a known misogynist, and nothing he preached should be taken seriously, as he injected all his personal fears, phobias, and mental health issues into his rhetoric.