MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

Um, Soupnazi, that is an image of = created by superimposing 2 DC eggs. There is no connection with an organization that stomps trans folks, at least to my knowledge. :\

Also, why the asterisk after trans?

I don't believe the pink/red equal sign existed as a symbol before HRC changed the color of their original logo, did it? So yeah, even though it isn't the original image, it does 'belong' to HRC and using it gives them power.

I do think there was a better way to say that, but I agree with the message. The eggs also make me a little wary.

(I'll also note that HRC has shown itself to promote marriage equality - and seemingly nothing else - for white gay couples at the expense of not only transfolk but also POC.)

Oh dear. I didn't know that it wasn't the "generic" equal rights symbol. If they aren't for equality for EVERYONE, then I'm taking it off my siggy, pronto.

Or I might remake it in blue and purple.

Oh dear. I didn't know that it wasn't the "generic" equal rights symbol. If they aren't for equality for EVERYONE, then I'm taking it off my siggy, pronto.

Or I might remake it in blue and purple.

I didn't realize it was a specific symbol, either. I actually think a lot of people probably don't realize what they're actually supporting, just assuming the = means equality.

I didn't realize it was a specific symbol, either. I actually think a lot of people probably don't realize what they're actually supporting, just assuming the = means equality.

This is true. Off to recreate egg and avvie both.....

Thanks for pointing this out mad.gif

Heh, sorry for my testiness. xd.png I forgot that I can't expect everyone to have the same knowledge as me. (Not trying to say that as an insult or anything--I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't encountered a post on it elsewhere.)

Heh, sorry for my testiness.  xd.png I forgot that I can't expect everyone to have the same knowledge as me. (Not trying to say that as an insult or anything--I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't encountered a post on it elsewhere.)

I hope my new avvie meets with your approval. I have made a new eggy but it isn't showing up in my sig for some reason... I am Not Pleased about that, as it is very pretty ! Maybe it will appear this way ?

user posted image

Arrgghh have made new one to avoid the equals sign, cos reasons xd.png

user posted image

Edited by fuzzbucket

fuzz I must say I love the new eggy O3O

*notes to add to siggy once she knows her dragcave issue is dealt with >.>*

fuzz I must say I love the new eggy O3O

*notes to add to siggy once she knows her dragcave issue is dealt with >.>*

??? You can see it ? I can't sad.gif

ETA WEIRD. Posted in my POST and now it shows up in my sig. The internet is a strange beast...

Edited by fuzzbucket

Pretty, fuzz! And subject to a much wider range of interpretation. Spelunker approves. :3

I hope my new avvie meets with your approval. I have made a new eggy but it isn't showing up in my sig for some reason... I am Not Pleased about that, as it is very pretty ! Maybe it will appear this way ?

user posted image

Oh, that's really pretty!

While pretty, I don't really think it changes anything. |D It's the equal symbol itself that is affiliated with the group, not the color. In fact their standard colors are blue and yellow, but it was changed to red for the Supreme Court hearings.

While pretty, I don't really think it changes anything. |D It's the equal symbol itself that is affiliated with the group, not the color. In fact their standard colors are blue and yellow, but it was changed to red for the Supreme Court hearings.

Hrm... I'm inclined to agree, though it feels silly to be asking fuzzbucket to change the graphic again. It's odd that I'd draw the line there--I can be testy and demanding all I want, but this is different for me? huh.gif

Bleh. Now I'm conflicted.

Any other suggestions on what to use to symbolize equality besides an equals sign??

Do you have more information about what makes the group bad? I see them on campus all the time.

I'd like to know too, I've never heard of this group before.

But an equals symbol is the obvious good sign for equality though....if you're not affiliating yourself with the group, using their colors, etc, I wouldn't think that it would be harmful to use. It's not as though they have claim over all equals signs.

Do you have more information about what makes the group bad? I see them on campus all the time.

Comments in any of these may contain language, but the video/articles themselves shouldn't

HRC silencing undocuquers:

HRC harasses people carrying the trans* flag and demanding they take it down, issues non-apology: http://goqnotes.com/21794/hrc-denies-wrong...-supreme-court/

And I had a great write-up on the history of HRC and the trans* struggle, which I seemed to not have bookmarked, but this one seems to have basically the same information and is well written: http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2007/10/why...-hates-hrc.html

Basically, the have a history of only pushing for marriage equality for white GLB folk, while avoiding any more serious issues (such as homelessness) they are asked to help address and being exclusive towards transfolk and at least undocuqueers, if not other GLB POC.

~

Personally, flying the rainbow flag is always a good message. Perhaps just impose the rainbow over the egg shape? Or the interlinked gender symbols are a pretty popular symbol.

Hrm... I'm inclined to agree, though it feels silly to be asking fuzzbucket to change the graphic again. It's odd that I'd draw the line there--I can be testy and demanding all I want, but this is different for me? huh.gif

Oh, I was just pointing it out, is all. ^^; My family does stuff with the HRC so its known for the equality symbol and not the color, so I was a little confused as to why the color should have any impact on it.

@Sins:

Oh, I'm not the one with the info. My family supports the HRC and gives donations every month (though they can be kind of annoying with telephoning us) and we have their stickers everywhere. c: I've never heard about any problems with them before.

@Alpha

That's what I was thinking too. c: I just wanted to point out that changing the color wasn't going to reduce the affiliation with HRC.

Quick question--what's unodocuqueer mean? I haven't seen that term before.

I'm guessing, it's an undocumented worker (illegal alien) who is queer or somehow apart of the LGBT community.

It's an undocumented LGBT, which can be an immigrant here without documentation or a child of two undocumented immigrants.

(illegal alien)

Can we stay away from calling people illegal or aliens? >_e There's a reason they're using undocumented.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/immigrant...legal_undoc.htm

Ah, thanks. I never knew they had a specific term for that.

Can we stay away from calling people illegal or aliens? >_e There's a reason they're using undocumented.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/immigrant...legal_undoc.htm

I usually just use undocumented worker, but that could mean a number of things and "illegal alien" really gets to the point. I don't associate "illegal aliens" with any negativity, like most people seem to think the words mean, but rather as the very blunt definitions of the words themselves. Illegal, meaning, not legally residing in the country, and alien as to denote that they are not native-born. There are legal aliens and illegal aliens, so I don't really see the fuss about this term.

I do, however, mainly use undocumented worker.

Fuzz likes doing this stuff. Fuzz made new one. You like ?

I most certainly do, but my opinion doesn't weigh very heavily here so. 9u9

Fuzz, everyone.....how about this one?

user posted image

Lol...I actually have a degree in Graphic Design. hehe. But you can claim credit, Fuzz. I merely adjusted.

Edited by Riverwillows