MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

The best reply to that I'd heard was, if power was the threshold for needing the Court's help, then none of those poor helpless corporations needed the help of Citizen's United to let them donate billions of dollars to super pacs.

My story:

I dated my boyfriend for 13 years. From a freshman in high school, til early 20's. We got married at 22 and 24. I had our son 9 months later. And then my two daughters. But after 5 years, we just decided we were better off being friends, and parted amicably. Legal divorce. He saw our kids regularly.

When my son was 13, he confessed that he did not feel like boy, but as a girl. The way his body was changing felt horribly wrong. As years went on, this only became more obvious. My son was MtF transgender, and I vowed to help him every way I could. My daughters were heterosexual.

Fast forward. My kids are now all of legal age. 3 years ago, we fell on hard times. My ex was having financial issues too, so we decided, what the heck, lets all move in together. That's when I found out, my ex was GAY!!

Lol...this explained A LOT about our dating and marriage. He was so far in the closet HE wasn't even really sure. After we parted, he had more time to find himself.

Now we all live together, and it works out great, like something out of Three's Company, lol. We've run into the various issues with famly, on both sides, some are cool, others not, but bottom line is.....

We are all human, with hearts, and souls, and everyone deserves happiness. Everyone.

It's just a rote response really, since it's one of the few non-religiously based arguments that pops up.

I feel almost sorry for the anti- side's lawyers. We saw this during the initial Prop 8 hearings too, where they failed to come up with reasonable counterarguments because none existed.

What'd you all think about Justice Roberts' comment that the LGBT lobby is too powerful to need this case heard in front of SCOTUS? It seemed silly to me because if they (we, lol) really were then we'd already have equal rights.

Yep. It seems a marginally more eloquent way of saying "because...reasons! Really, really good reasons!" There's just nothing *there* to support the anti-side. When you get into that particular argument, it opens up a whole other can of worms that I'm pretty certain they don't want opened. (Do you disallow sterile people marrying? How about people who are over a certain age? People who are not infertile but don't intend to have children? Those who only want to adopt?)

I think it was ridiculous. Obviously, if that were true, there'd be no issues with LGBT people being discriminated against in this way. We wouldn't be having this conversation across the country if the LGBT lobby were that powerful. Unless, of course, the good Justice thinks that you guys get nifty mind-control powers along with the secret decoder ring and gay-agenda handbook.

....... you guys get nifty  mind-control powers along with the secret decoder ring.......

ohmy.gifohmy.gif Hey, I want those....just cause I'm not gay, I can't haz??????

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Riverwillows

you guys get nifty mind-control powers along with the secret decoder ring and gay-agenda handbook.

.... I never got a decoder ring. *pouts*

I actually got into a fight with a sorta-friend last night about this, but it was mostly my fault because I misunderstood her. She posted this big long quote about Christianity and marriage and how marriage is a promise to God, etc etc.... We got into a conversation mainly 'cause she's one of the few people I know who I'm not sure about her stance on homosexuality, and I wanted to talk and get more information about what she posted.

She seems to think that the best solution is to take governments out of marriage completely. Christians get married, before God, as a pledge to God. Anyone else should be allowed to have a civil union. I pointed out that if a marriage is purely religious, and not legalized, they would lose out on benefits of all different kinds, but... Yeah.

She seems to think that the best solution is to take governments out of marriage completely. Christians get married, before God, as a pledge to God. Anyone else should be allowed to have a civil union. I pointed out that if a marriage is purely religious, and not legalized, they would lose out on benefits of all different kinds, but... Yeah.

See, the problem with that is that marriage is not a purely Christian concept. Pagans got married before Christianity; Jews got married before Christianity (at least I'd assume so); Hindus and Muslims have and do get married--feudal Japan had marriage, and the country is still 99% Shinto. That is, in my opinion, the main reason that religious arguments against equal marriage just don't work--almost every society has had marriage, but not all societies have had religions specifically condemning LGBT+ folk.

Soup, that post was just using Christianity as an example. The point was just that religion in general should be taken out of civil partnerships, and tacked on later if people want it.

I love what we're doing here. It's hard for me to believe that with so many people for gay marriage the only heads who prevail are those against it.

Living in a largely bigoted incredibly religious state makes matters worse. For example, here's something I heard in the halls the other day.

A: Once, I knew this guy who was 18 and still a Freshman.

B: Well, it's better than being lesbo!

A: Hahaha *nods* I just can't believe that he got held back that long!

B: It's still better than being a lesbo!

A: He was so tall.

B: I bet. Hey, at least it's better than being a lesbo!

This went on for about a minute before I told B:

Me: Would you kindly knock it off?

B: Sure, yeah, whatever.

*B and A talk again, and B just won't quit*

Me: WOULD YOU KINDLY STOP IT!?!?

Needless to say, I can't look at B the same. I never knew her to be so awful! And what did being a lesbian have to do with anything? Honestly, I just don't get it. I hope to move somewhere that promotes equality.

Soup, that post was just using Christianity as an example. The point was just that religion in general should be taken out of civil partnerships, and tacked on later if people want it.

Oh, okay--it's hard to tell sometimes. xd.png

It's really such a done deal that all opponents to marriage equality are just dragging their heels and shrieking "LALALALALALALALALALALA" at this point.

Needless to say, I can't look at B the same. I never knew her to be so awful! And what did being a lesbian have to do with anything? Honestly, I just don't get it. I hope to move somewhere that promotes equality.

Somebody's in the closet...

I haven't been following this too closely, but I sure hope that those opposed realize there's no point soon.

I just want to be who I want to be with. No one should care who I'm with. They are not with me. I want everyone to be happy, but it's obvious that won't happen. I know not everyone will be happy, though. But I want people to think... What if someone very close to them turned out to be gay? Would you still say that it's wrong? Would you tell them they can't be with the person they trust most in the world? And remember folks. It's a SIN to JUDGE. Judging is God's place, remember? It's not ours. So if it's so bad (Which there's nothing wrong with being gay) to be a homosexual or a bisexual, aren't you making just a big a sin by judging us and damning us? All sins are equal in God's eyes, right?

I hate when people use 'gay' as a derogatory term. Aside from that, I really wish that people would stop poking their noses where is really doesn't belong. Love isn't something that can have laws prohibiting it. I mean, at least they're of the same species. It's not like someone is trying to marry a lion. Imagine that wedding.

@Spelunker thanks. It's a Minecraft lime green sheep.

Don't you agree though? Why are complaining something that's not a threat to life when we should?

It's a moral cop-out. It's easier for people to whine about other people's sex lives than try to figure out poverty, war and health care.

This reminds me of a This American Life episode. In short, a man raised in a catholic environment realizes he's gay, and strongly denies it. He even sets up a gay reform camp. Eventually, a group of gay rights activists teach him that it's not a bad thing.

We shouldn't be working to stop the people who oppose gay marriage, but their backwards beliefs. We need to not scorn them, but help them understand why they were wrong. One of the key points is pulling religion out of the mix.

It may be hard to convince them, but we have to do this to help the countless couples who must hide their love because others want to oppress them!

/end over enthusiastic speech

Anyway, I think I may be lesbian myself, since I find no interest in boys and have a crush on my best friend, but my opinion would not change even if I were as straight as a flagpole.

I realize I may be offending someone who disagrees with me, but I ask you this: give me a reason why gay marriage is bad without religion or offensive stereotypes or assumptions.

I'm waiting.

Edited by psycodragons

give me a reason why gay marriage is bad without religion or offensive stereotypes or assumptions.

I'm waiting.

I've never, ever been able to get a reason like that. And I've asked around a whooole lot. If you take religion out of it, they fall back on evil-gay stereotypes. If you take the completely naive stereotypes out of it.... In my experience, at that point people tend to just revert to "it's just *wrong!*" or some other non-arguement.

The biggest problem with trying to deal with this issue by getting people to take religion out of the mix is simply that it won't work. That's just how religion is. You believe, in your heart, that this Higher Power said this-and-this-and-that, and if one of those things is that homosexuality is a sin... That's sort of hard to argue with. You can *say* "okay, let's take religion out of it and talk about the other issues surrounding this", but you can't change thousands of people's minds if they honestly believe that the Bible is to be taken literally.

(Seriously. I've done the whole Bible-arguement many times. "Oh, the Bible says homosexuality is a sin? Yes, did you read that entire section then? Then you'd know that wearing clothing with mixed fibers is also a sin, and so is eating oysters. Do you condemn those people to hell as well?" Point out the flaws in their logic might make them shut up, but it won't make them stop believing.)

Well the image in my signature explains all that I have to say.

There are no logical arguments against gay marriage. They can't have children? What about all those couples who can't have children because of medical problems? Or shouldn't have because they are carrier of a genetic disease?

Gays shouldn't be allowed to raise a child because the familiy lacks a role-model for one gender? Do they live alone on some island where no-one else lives? The child will have friends who have a mother/father, they'll have teachers, neighbours... And science says: The impact of parents on the development of the child is smaller than the impact of the community.

My parents are 70 now and always were very religious and they didn't think too well about gays. Especially my mother was horrible to talk at. To her all gays were freaks of nature and whenever some man raped a boy... I think I don't have to say any more about that. I tried to convince my mother otherwise for years but it only seemd to make it worse so I ended up avoiding this topic and kept silent when it came up.

Than not long ago my parents met my collegue who was so kind to help me paint my flat and of course my parents helped, too. He is gay and he reallly is a great person. After my parents meeting him the whole tone changed. And my mother not only accepted that there are peolpe who are gay and that that doesn't make them less a person than others. She even got curious and asked me questions and this time she honestly listend. I don't know many gays but the few I know are all very nice and helpfull and pretty. The end to this was my mother sighing and saying: What a loss to womanhood.

You can't imagine how happy these few words made me.

I think my state senator Mark Kirk's statement was very true. He has recently returned after a major stroke, and it has definitely changed his views of gay marriage, as before he opposed it. This is an excerpt of his statement:

"Our time on this Earth is limited, I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back - government has no place in the middle."

Edited by Bacon_Strips

Well the image in my signature explains all that I have to say.

That you're showing support for equal marriage through an organization that stomps on trans* folks?

Edited by soupnazi

Um, Soupnazi, that is an image of = created by superimposing 2 DC eggs. There is no connection with an organization that stomps trans folks, at least to my knowledge. :\

Also, why the asterisk after trans?