MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

Hmm. I don't have Facebook but I heard about this image. And maybe I can provide something in Dcave Badge style.

user posted imageuser posted image

[IMG=http://i.tinyuploads.com/GID5Rq.gif] • [IMG=http://i.tinyuploads.com/eAw4Oa.gif]

Not sure how much of a beating this image host can take. But if people want an eggy badge with it, here 'tis.

This is just the red egg and pink egg put together with a mask in the shape of the =

Edited by Vhale

Yes, I honestly think it has no factor. In fact, there is a large group of child development experts currently against the US's racial based adoption laws because it has been shown that the effect of being adopted into a mixed race or different racial group has no more of an effect on identity issues than adoption by the same culture or race.

So yes, in my expert opinion, based on years of research and a loooooong dissertation that sighted over eighty studies, I honestly believe there is no difference, because research has shown there is no difference.

I think you're ignoring the psychological effect of acceptance by those different from you, which is one of the prime developmental keys children need to establish a healthy internal locus of control. With only approval from those like them, a child is often stunted and develops an external locus.

I ABSOLUTELY agree. And SO many children are unadopted because mad social workers (present company excepted !!!!) say only a black couple can adopt a black child, or no that gay couple may NOT adopt that gay child because - well - that's just WRONG - and so on

All any child needs is loving parents. The rest follows naturally.

I am not sure my new avvie works, but - well, I tried xd.png

ETA BY the way:

When my two were much younger, they went to a party in a house with four boys. On the way home I happened to mention that two of them were adopted (this in terms of a book one of mine was reading about an adopted girl.). My two were outraged that I had suggested such a thing. It wasn't till I asked quite calmly if the two blond blue eyed boys looked at all different from the other two black as they come boys that my two even thought about it.

What did they say ?

"Oh yeah - Ben and Anthony have curly hair." xd.png

On the whole kids don't SEE colour/race till we point it out to them.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Hmm. I don't have Facebook but I heard about this image. And maybe I can provide something in Dcave Badge style.

user posted imageuser posted image

[IMG=http://i.tinyuploads.com/GID5Rq.gif] • [IMG=http://i.tinyuploads.com/eAw4Oa.gif]

Not sure how much of a beating this image host can take. But if people want an eggy badge with it, here 'tis.

This is just the red egg and pink egg put together with a mask in the shape of the =

snagged one of the eggs. I'm not on fb much anymore so I'll just show my support here smile.gif

I took both because I'm greedy and I'm not on FB much.

That's an adorable story, fuzz. xd.png For the record: I had known and accepted homosexual relationships since I was five, but when I learned about sex when I was six (as I think a lot of you know), that was my only problem with homosexual relationships - it was a deep and confusing mystery as to HOW they actually do the act. Do they at all? I started to wonder if all gay people were celibate until my sister just explained a few common ways. And that was that. There was a mystery there that needed to be unraveled and that was all that bothered me, I couldn't have cared less about anything else. And I came from a religious family. My sister came out as being lesbian somewhere around that time. Didn't change anything in how we treated each other (though we were both awful to one another so that's not really a good example hm).

Point being, it won't throw kids into a crisis if they're exposed to homosexuality, trans, different races and cultures, etc. I should know, I experienced all three, albeit from a third-person POV. My best friend in second grade was this Mexican girl, and she was really touched when my teacher organized a Mexican culture thing, where we all sat and learned Spanish for that class and made cards (about what, I don't know exactly - something about acceptance). As the rest of the kids in the class were pretty much as white as you can get, she always felt a little out of place and was a bit aggressive because of it. After that, she started to open up more.

Hell, I noticed sexism against women and men (mostly how sexism against women often ends up hurting men too) and fiercely spoke out about it when I was seven and younger. xd.png I remember making at least one rant about victim blaming when it comes to rape (again, with both sexes) when I was eight.

tl;dr: kids aren't morons

That was getting a bit off-topic, so eh. Lemme step out for now.

Edited by Zovesta

LOL Fuzz!

My coworker mentioned one of his kids friends did the exact same thing. When mentioned that one was adopted, he pointed out the hair too. Between a red head and a black kid. I have seen studies where kids point out light versus dark in books, but I have to wonder if those are kids from homogenous areas. When they are mixed, they don't seem to see it. Which makes sense, Studies have shown sexism is also much higher when a woman is put in an environment that previously had no women. And well, Dick Cheney and Rob Portman switched due to close family being gay. Probably wouldn't have otherwise.

And this, is awesome!

The 60 best signs against Doma and Prop 8 at the Supreme Court Hearing

I'm told I did the same thing when I was younger. I was trying to identify someone on TV to my Mum, and explained it as "The lady in the blue dress.". The lady in the blue dress having been the only black person in the programme. (note - this was the early 80's)

So on facebook I've seen people switch their profile pictures to a pink equal sign with a red background, but I've also seen people switch their profile pictures to a pink crucifix with a red background. Is the crucifix supposed to be anti-gay marriage?

So on facebook I've seen people switch their profile pictures to a pink equal sign with a red background, but I've also seen people switch their profile pictures to a pink crucifix with a red background. Is the crucifix supposed to be anti-gay marriage?

And others are throwing subtlety to the wind and using this.

I think people were mentioning a few pages back that the plus sign is anti, so they might have just exaggerated it into a crucifix, idk.

Right. It's a counter-image. (not saying it's something I condone)

went through a quick jaunt on fb (no didn't change my avatar) but noticed that several of my friends and friends of friends have the symbol on. Wow does it make for a confusing newsfeed xd.png saw no plus signs though, more proof on what the public wants perhaps?

So there's separation of church and state except when it comes to gay marriage? Confusing.

So there's separation of church and state except when it comes to gay marriage? Confusing.

I think that its seperate church and state except for prayers in school(need to be added again), no abortion, and gay marriage.

Thats according to most of the people who I see commenting on yahoo/internet. So I know its not a true belief among most people but for some...

I agree that most people arguing about it aren't very consistent. If you want a well-thought-out discussion from the conservative side of the issue, here's an article for reading. I understand almost everyone here disagrees, but I feel like this is a solid summary of the more legitimate arguments.

Five Gay Marriage Myths

I agree that most people arguing about it aren't very consistent. If you want a well-thought-out discussion from the conservative side of the issue, here's an article for reading. I understand almost everyone here disagrees, but I feel like this is a solid summary of the more legitimate arguments.

Five Gay Marriage Myths

Browsing through those I have a couple of questions philpot.

Since the government gives tax breaks and mandates benefits for heterosexual married couples why should they be allowed to deny the same rights to gays who get want to get married to someone they love?

Would you be more willing for the government to define all marriages as civil unions, have all the rights and responsibilties of marriages transfered to that legal definition and allow churches to define marriage within their confines so everyone has access to the advantages of being married?

Im 100% For Gay Marriage.

There Is No Reason That They Should Not Be Able To Be Married Like Straight Couples. its Just Not Correct. Just Because Of One Religion, Which Seems To Be Taking Over Our Government Systems, They Have Never Had The Right To Do As We Straight Couples Easily Have The Ability To Do. If This Really Is A Free World Then Why Cant Gay Couples Marry.

Browsing through those I have a couple of questions philpot.

Since the government gives tax breaks and mandates benefits for heterosexual married couples why should they be allowed to deny the same rights to gays who get want to get married to someone they love?

Would you be more willing for the government to define all marriages as civil unions, have all the rights and responsibilties of marriages transfered to that legal definition and allow churches to define marriage within their confines so everyone has access to the advantages of being married?

They shouldn't be allowed to. I shouldn't get benefits for marrying a female OR a male. Abolish the income tax and we don't have to worry about tax breaks wink.gif

I don't want the government to have anything to do with marriage, ideally. But yes, the idea of allowing consenting adults to enter into contracts in regards to estates, visitation rights, etc. regardless of gender is perfectly acceptable to me. I also want people to be free to recognize or not recognize anyone's "marriage" as such within private organizations and religious institutions. Hetero or homo.

I'm 100% for gay marriage. I've honestly yet to hear a single valid argument from those against it. And frankly, I don't see why just because you don't like something yourself, that should mean that no one else is able to enjoy the right.

I don't like yellow. Does that mean no one else in the world should be allowed to wear yellow shirts? No, that would just be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

I agree.

But has something to do with cristianity.(Spelling fail.) mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Ah okay got you.

Funnily enough I think the government should move all to civil unions, but I think that way because I think it just makes sense for an equality stand point and then buisnesses would have to recgnize the contract even if they don't want to recognize the marriage.

But I also think that most people would be upset if we told people that all marriages were civil unions now, though they keep all the rights of marriage. Therefore I think its less messy this way

Incidently this ^ is something I've been arguing for for ages. The legal contract between two people, as made with the State, should not have anything to do with any religion, should not be limited to couples in a sexual relationship (two elderly sisters living together? Should be allowed all those same rights as far as I'm concerned), and therefore shouldn't be called a marriage. State contracts for State benefits.

Churches can then decide who they wish to marry, and anyone would be able to have some sort of non-denominational 'love/marriage ceremony' to declare their love for their SO (or SOs plural - if there's no benefits involved, there's no reason people in poly relationships couldn't declare that publicly if they so wished).

So, yeah, I'm all for 'divorcing' all state benefits from the word 'marriage'.

The legal contract between two people, as made with the State, should not have anything to do with any religion, should not be limited to couples in a sexual relationship (two elderly sisters living together? Should be allowed all those same rights as far as I'm concerned), and therefore shouldn't be called a marriage. State contracts for State benefits.

Should it be necessarily two people, or are three, four, etc. also fathomable options?

Should it be necessarily two people, or are three, four, etc. also fathomable options?

Lawyers would be happy. More of those unions also means more divorces! (because a certain percentage of any union type will always break up - humans are like that)

...it won't throw kids into a crisis if they're exposed to homosexuality, trans, different races and cultures, etc.

Snipped the quote a bit to make it clearer which part I'm directly referencing.

I do not ever intend to have children, but if I ever do then they will be raised around homosexual and trans individuals and I'll do my best to expose them to other races and teach them to value others for who, rather than what, they are. Several of my best friends are gay men and I am reasonably close with two FtM transsexual individuals... one of which is actually kind of hard to tell from a natural male unless he puts on his girly voice.

I personally feel that I was harmed more than protected when I was sheltered from a lot of realities about sexuality as a child and young teenager and then suddenly realised all of these alternate lifestyles when I was in highschool and became friends with a bisexual young woman. Just for reference (for those skeptics out there), friends is all we were; she never once tried to come onto me or anything. I even spent the night at her residence and vice versa a few times and there was never any funny business. We mostly played video games until we were both exhausted and then talked until one of us fell asleep. :3

I think those who are trying to raise a fuss about children being affected negatively by being exposed to homosexuality are the homophobes who want the world to bend to their closed-minded security bubble and are trying to use the "vulnerability" of children to get their way.

I'm all for gay marriage. I agree with almost everyone on this thread ^^

Everyone should have their own free rights and everyone be equal. It's sad that there are still things that plague the world like this everyday. Yet they claim for everyone to be 'equal'. sad.gif