MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

Correct I do think that you are to be the gender your born as, that is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

Yes they do, they are born that way, they should deal with it. Don't make it other people's problem.

If you feel powerfully - you KNOW - that you were born the wrong gender - why should you LIKE it ?

The person making it another person's problem is - you. No-one else in this thread has a problem with it. Just you,. Maybe look at your own prejudices and wonder where they came from.

Not my problem, I was born the correct gender and like my gender, they should do the same.

How nice for you. Remember Pastor Niemoller.... Some day you may have a problem and there will be no-one left to defend you against bigotry.

Not my problem, I was born the correct gender and like my gender, they should do the same.

I asked the questions hypothetically but if that is how you feel fine. Many other people believe differently and when people get sick of others not being treated equally, that is where change comes from.

Having been out a few times with a non-gender conforming friend, I can safely say that the majority can take a flying leap. People need to use the bathroom, it's a basic bodily function and no one should be prevented from using the washroom. Every washroom should be unisex and I wish I could find the image of the 'restroom with urinal/restroom without urinal' doors that I saw.

Besides, are they going to arrest cis people who go into the 'wrong' washroom? I've definitely done that more than a few times in my life because ladies washroom lines can be SO LONG. I am definitely never passing for a dude.

I'm afraid I could be arrested for that too. But then, I've never gotten the point of gas stations that have a 1 stall 1 room bathroom for each gender. Then... 4 people in line while the other one is empty. Granted, I've also seen people 5 deep in line while no one is using the handicapped stall and it sits empty. I get not wanting to see guys at urinals but most of that type I've seen are just normal toilets.

I'm afraid I could be arrested for that too. But then, I've never gotten the point of gas stations that have a 1 stall 1 room bathroom for each gender. Then... 4 people in line while the other one is empty. Granted, I've also seen people 5 deep in line while no one is using the handicapped stall and it sits empty. I get not wanting to see guys at urinals but most of that type I've seen are just normal toilets.

Me too. And the people who look MOST startled are the other women in line for the female one, when they see me come out. Then they usually join in xd.png Same goes for the disabled one. If no-one is using it - I will. No-brainer all round.

Edited by fuzzbucket

One of the buildings at my university has unisex washrooms. It seems to have gone over pretty well. There was a little bit of confusion at first, but that was because they hadn't put up signs saying they were for everyonse, so people didn't know.

Honestly, it seems like supreme overkill to arrest somebody, even if you don't like/understand transsexuals.

Every washroom should be unisex and I wish I could find the image of the 'restroom with urinal/restroom without urinal' doors that I saw.

May one be of service ?

user posted imageuser posted image

May one be of service ?

those signs O3O everything would be made so much simpilar

May one be of service ?

That seems like a solid idea to me smile.gif Being arrested for not using the bathroom your appearance/organs conform to is a little absurd. If you identify a certain way and use the washroom according to how you identify, that should be fine. Sure, it might unnerve some people, but generally people only go to public restrooms to do their business. I try to avoid public restrooms unless I absolutely have to use them due to bladder shyness ;_;

Edited by Wind-Swept-Canid

Correct I do think that you are to be the gender your born as, that is my opinion, and I am entitled to it.

So what if someone is intersexed, and born with both genders? Or they are something like XXY?

Also, what if their genitalia is male but they have a female brain, or vice versa? There are physical differences in the brain between genders that one is born with.

If you really think that you are meant to be the gender you were born as 100% of the time, then I implore you to try being the opposite sex in terms of social behavior and dress, feel how weird that feels, and try to imagine everyone around you heckling you to continue doing what makes you feel wrong.

Edited by MURDERcomplexx

If you really think that you are meant to be the gender you were born as 100% of the time, then I implore you to try being the opposite sex in terms of social behavior and dress, feel how weird that feels, and try to imagine everyone around you heckling you to continue doing what makes you feel wrong.

Social behavior and dress play no role in being a gender, though. I'd feel extremely uncomfortable being "the traditional woman" - and I am a woman, mind and body.

Social behavior and dress play no role in being a gender, though. I'd feel extremely uncomfortable being "the traditional woman" - and I am a woman, mind and body.

Some would argue that gender itself is a social construction, though. How we perceive gender differs from society to society.

I'm probably a bit late, but I don't think I could use unisex bathroom- just because I'm shy and I don't want the slightest risk of anyone seeing or even hearing anything. If I walked into a public bathroom and there was a man there, I'd blush and run out as fast as I could... I know it wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that someone would peep under the door or over the stall wall, if they're the ones that stop below the ceiling. Or that I might see something I didn't want to see.

Or that they'd only put in one bathroom so the lines would be huge. *shrug*

I'm not a fan of those bathrooms, I'd rather there be a 3rd option for a unisex bathroom than all bathrooms to be unisex. There's already a problem with men going into women's bathrooms and snapping pictures of them under or over the stalls. If men were allowed in the women's bathrooms, the opportunity for this abuse would increase exponentially. The fetish market for bathroom peep shots is huge.

It's bad enough when mother's bring their 5 year old sons in there and they stick their heads under the stalls. I don't doubt that if all bathrooms were unisex, it would be full grown men doing it. I'd only ever be comfortable if bathroom stalls were more secure without the huge gap at the bottom and without it being possible to look over the top.

I'm probably a bit late, but I don't think I could use unisex bathroom- just because I'm shy and I don't want the slightest risk of anyone seeing or even hearing anything. If I walked into a public bathroom and there was a man there, I'd blush and run out as fast as I could... I know it wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that someone would peep under the door or over the stall wall, if they're the ones that stop below the ceiling. Or that I might see something I didn't want to see.

Do the exact same risks not exist to just as great extent with non-unisex bathrooms? The only safe option is ground-to-ceiling stalls.

(Yes, I've HAD girls try to snap pictures of me by sneaking a hand with a cellphone in from under a stall's lower edge.)

Edited by Shienvien

Do the exact same risks not exist to just as great extent with non-unisex bathrooms?

(Yes, I've HAD girls try to snap pictures of me by sneaking a hand with a cellphone in from under a stall's lower edge.)

And do you think the chances for that happening would actually decrease or even be the same if men and women shared a bathroom? I don't think so.

And do you think the chances for that happening would actually decrease or even be the same if men and women shared a bathroom? I don't think so.

I think it definitely would, but that's because I've had multiple guys try and stop other girls from doing it.

Would be roughly the same, I'd say - as I added a moment after into my last post, the only safe option is ground to ceiling stalls. Note that I'm the person who earlier said that I do use men's bathrooms when there is a line. But yet the only incidents thus far have been with teenaged-looking girls.

Also, back when I was at school, each break there were guys/girls looking for a girl/guy to fetch their things from the opposite sexes bathroom, and it was more than probable that you would get ink or something worse poured on you over the upper edge of the stall. So here's one more argument for ground-to-ceiling stalls.

I think it definitely would, but that's because I've had multiple guys try and stop other girls from doing it.

So you live in a place that has unisex bathrooms?

Used too/go back regularly. There are several places on res where that's the only option, partially because prior to 1890, there were four genders and multiple people still hold that view, and/or want to go back to what it was like prior to colonization.

It varies per location, but smaller places that aren't malls quite often have unisex bathrooms, in my experience. blink.gif

oh I know that, I'm just being general for the sake of simplicity.

As a gay female who is happily engaged to my best friend of five years, I fully support gay marriage and rights. At this point I am anxious for it to be legalized where we live...but at the same time, I don't mind the wait. The way I see it is that my fiance and I do not need a legal document of any sort to know how much we love each other.

We do, however, need certain rights when it comes to things such as social security and such. That isn't at all relevant to us at the point but it will be in the near future. It disgusts me to know that there are SEVEN HUNDRED rights and benefits that heterosexuals get that domestic partnerships do not receive. Ugh.

And as far as problems that is causes in the family..I know those all to well. I am fortunate that it is as mild as it is, though. My family has all made it clear that they despise the fact that I am "ruining my life" by being gay, but none have disowned me over it or anything.

Incidental note on unisex bathrooms - the RMA Sandhurst (UK Army Officer Training) has unisex bathrooms. Largely because most of the buildings are pretty old, and were built before women were allowed in the military. When women *were*.... they couldn't damage the building to build more bathrooms, so they just made them unisex.

I've been there. And there were no problems. Actually the only problem I *did* encounter was in one of the ares where they did have seperate bathrooms for girls and guys - because the girls bathrooms were just mens bathrooms painted pink. I did a serious double-take on walking into a *womens* bathroom and seeing ranks of urinals. I actually had to go out and double-check the door...

I suspect what would bother more women about unisex bathrooms is like in stores. They always seem to be in the back, blocked by lots of shelves and down a dark corridor. Going into a lonely back room with a strange man in there, I can see why that would squick people out.It's pretty much what women are told to NOT do.