MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

No one Roman/Greek god was said to be 100% gay, but many swung both ways.

Apollo was said to have taken Hyacinth and Cyparissus as lovers. Heracles/Hercules was said to have had numerous male lovers. Dionysus was said have had a male lover in Ampelos, a satyr. Zeus was said to have loved Ganymede and made him the cupbearer of the gods. Hermes/Mercury was said to have loved the mortal Crocus/Krokus. Pan was said to have loved Daphnis. These are but a few examples of the homosexual relationships among the gods.

Edited by Riverwillows

Not to forget the Bible, and David and Jonathan smile.gif

I believe Alexander the Great had a male lover (or a few) as well. And he was a real person ^^

Wasn't there also an ancient Chinese ruler that had a husband? /vague memory

Egyptian rulers too. Homosexuality has been with us all through history, and in many cases, seen as normal. It was only when the Bible came out and started saying it was wrong, that people started thinking of it as such.

Edited by Riverwillows

"A bible in the hands of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the hand of, oh, your father. "-Harper Lee, TKAM

It's normal, and I really don't see why people are so against homosexual marriage.

Marriage itself isn't natural anyway biggrin.gif What other animal gets married? What other animal needs a certificate to proclaim "THIS IS MY MATE"? It's a human concept that doesn't need "but it's natural!" arguments to validate it.

Sorry for the bit of wrong info on Jormungander, I knew he was related to Loki. And as large as the world, I do apologize for the mislead. But I do like what others have found that in the rest of history many other well known myths or non-myths that gay is everywhere. It just shows how far gays and lesbians have been going, people I mean everyone should go back and read in-depth and properly understand it. Gays and lesbians should have the right to marry! Who cares if its a catholic, christian, or some other kind of religion ceremony, all it is making two people who are madly in love with each other, it does not state it has to be male and female.

I agree with the people who are for gay marriage. I mean, if two adults love each other, why would it matter which gender they are. It's none of anyone's business.

I'm glad that in my country gay marriage is possible, at least for the state.

Who cares if its a catholic, christian, or some other kind of religion ceremony, all it is making two people who are madly in love with each other, it does not state it has to be male and female.

Just to say, though, that marriage itself isn't a religious ceremony. You can have a fully non-religious marriages. Marriage is a civil institution, not a religious one--though it got tied with various ceremonies of a religious nature around the world. But it doesn't have to have any religious overtones at all.

I agree with the people who are for gay marriage. I mean, if two adults love each other, why would it matter which gender they are. It's none of anyone's business.

I'm glad that in my country gay marriage is possible, at least for the state.

Yes.

I fail to understand those who are against it like crazy when it comes to gay marriage.

I mean, I understand if someone doesn't like gays, but that's just what YOU think. If someone hate people who shave their heads bald, wear earrings, etc., does that person go and try to prohibit others from doing so? No. It's OTHERS' BUSINESS.

P.S. I like Utsuho too. laugh.gif

Yes.

I fail to understand those who are against it like crazy when it comes to gay marriage.

It's because people who are fervently religious, believe EVERYTHING in life is connected to religion, that secularism is just a ideal that heathens/non-believers buy into, therefore, has no real meaning or importance.

It's because people who are fervently religious, believe EVERYTHING in life is connected to religion, that secularism is just a ideal that heathens/non-believers buy into, therefore, has no real meaning or importance.

That or they're genuinely ignorant of the fact that marriage is NOT exclusive to Christianity, and honestly think that they have a monopoly on marriage (since I've not actually seen a non-Christian be against gay marraige for religious reasons...)

(since I've not actually seen a non-Christian be against gay marraige for religious reasons...)

And you won't. Christianity and Islam are the only two modern religions that have any harsh negativity towards homosexuality.

Even Judiasm, while not exactly encouraging, is more blase' about it than modern Christianity. For them it's like "....ok so we won't invite them to seder, but hey, we'll send a fruit basket for the holiday." lol....

But yeah, those are the only two belief systems where homosexuality is totally banned.

Speaking of gods and homosexuality (though I'm not sure if this counts)... Loki also shape-changed into a mare and had sex with a male horse. Though, it was to get out of a deal that he'd screwed up in the first place.

Loki also shape-changed into a mare and had sex with a male horse.

According to the version I have seen, he only intended to distract the horse and make him leave the construction-site, and that he was actually caught by the horse was completely unintentional, meaning that he was raped by a male horse, rather than mated with one.

I guess the point is, homosexuality has been around for aeons, and was mostly tolerated, if not outright considered normal, by most societies, prior to the New Testiment.

I guess the point is, homosexuality has been around for aeons, and was mostly tolerated, if not outright considered normal, by most societies, prior to the New Testiment.

Honestly, I'm certain that it wasn't being targeted by Paul's writings in the New Testament either. The Greeks had several words describing types of homosexual relationship, and Paul didn't choose to use any of them. It's not logical to think he'd use an almost unknown word for something unless he wanted the very specific meaning it conveyed. As far as anyone can tell Christianity didn't being to officially condemn homosexuality until some point in the early middle ages.

I'm all for gay marriage. If it makes someone happy, then they should be able to do it. Granted, actual marriage itself is paperwork and legal agreements, but the promise that is made is what really makes it special for both heterosexual and homosexual couples. Let's all just be happy smile.gif

It's not about marriage, but it is part of LGBT movement so...

How do you guys feel about the proposal in Arizona that makes it an arrestable offense for trans* people to use the "wrong" bathroom?

Um, can you be arrested for going in the wrong bathroom? I mean, why would trans gender people even do that? They know it would make a scene and make them standout, so I could see a reason for it. That being it keeps the people from picketing outside toilets, but it does seem a little extreme. Why not make a ... never mind, bad idea.

Edited by Mtntopview

Woah, that... doesn't sound right. =/

I was thinking about this awhile ago, actually. Should bathrooms be separated by sex or gender? I dunno... I might be inclined to say sex because of how the bathrooms are set up for different sexes, but then I'm also trying to imagine having to go into the other bathroom because my body is different than my mind. I've always been kind of unsure about this topic, so... could someone offer their two cents here?

Edit: Of course, granted, then we have people who are genderfluid and so on so... jeez. The idea of it being an arrestable offense makes me uncomfortable, though. Just seems way too harsh for people who are having a hard enough time already, I guess.

Edited by Zovesta

I'd say they should make a third restroom, a sort of both can use, but not at the same time, type restroom. You know the family type you see rarely? That kind. But it would have to have a one person per use only, type thing.