MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

I do not support this at all because God will not allow for gay people to enter Heaven, he may have created you, but you choose to be gay or not; it doesn't mean I will automatically hate you or start yelling that your possessed by demons.

I support God's law of marriage, that you will love the opposite sex for better or for worse, but lately, that seems to fly out the window. If anything, I care about what God has to say about this.

I do not support this at all because God will not allow for gay people to enter Heaven, he may have created you, but you choose to be gay or not; it doesn't mean I will automatically hate you or start yelling that your possessed by demons.

I support God's law of marriage, that you will love the opposite sex for better or for worse, but lately, that seems to fly out the window. If anything, I care about what God has to say about this.

Could you expand on what you mean by "what God will say about this." Im not sure what you mean by it.

Honestly, I think the colors are kind of good. I mean it Looks like a really cool color scheme. I also think its funny that they're right across the street from their enemies (that should be interesting to see what happens).

Er, yeah, that was kinda the entire point of buying that house and painting it like a giant pride flag/

This is gold. This is just pure freakin' gold, and I applaud this man. This is awesome and hilarious and I cannot wait to see the results of this because it is bound to be freakin' glorious.

You do realize that MARRIAGE is not a Christian institution, right? That it existed in many religions that pre-date Christianity? That people who aren't Christian can get married? That it is a legal institution? Holy Matrimony is the religious Christian ceremony, IIRC. Marriage is a legal institution. There is a difference.

Besides, there's plenty of scriptural evidence that God doesn't give a rat's backside about the genitals of who you love, but that's a debate for the religion thread.

I would actually disagree with you that God does not approve of homosexuality. I certainly disagree with you that people would be barred from heaven simply for being gay. And, yes, I will debate both those points with you based entirely on scripture and the historical setting it was written in.

I would also point out that there is separation between Church and State. Which means God's laws should not, broadly, be Civil laws in the first place.

Although, I'm interested to know, would you like to see divorce made illegal, and adultery punishable with a prison sentance? I ask because I can assure you scripture is an awful lot more specific about adultery and divorce than it is about sexuality.

The Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka has a new neighbor. And the house is getting a paint job today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/w..._n_2906337.html

I want that house. ohmy.gif The results of this are going to be interesting!

Arguments using the Bible and history have been made in this thread AGAINST this idea. What God said about homosexuality isn't at all what you find in most modern Bibles, so don't be so quick to take that Word literally...

Edit: ninja.gif 'ed by Tikindi. I'm a slow typer. laugh.gif

Edited by Dimar

As I posted somewhere WAY up this thread, two male saints married way back when, in church, with a priest officiating. I don't think God gave a toss. God is about love, not prejudice.

I would actually disagree with you that God does not approve of homosexuality. I certainly disagree with you that people would be barred from heaven simply for being gay. And, yes, I will debate both those points with you based entirely on scripture and the historical setting it was written in.

I would also point out that there is separation between Church and State. Which means God's laws should not, broadly, be Civil laws in the first place.

Although, I'm interested to know, would you like to see divorce made illegal, and adultery punishable with a prison sentance? I ask because I can assure you scripture is an awful lot more specific about adultery and divorce than it is about sexuality.

As one of God's children, I have no say in the matter, because God is about love, but He's also just and fair, if it does displease Him and if He wants me to do something about it, he will.

As one of God's children, I have no say in the matter, because God is about love, but He's also just and fair, if it does displease Him and if He wants me to do something about it, he will.

Sorry, run that by me again please? I'm not sure I'm following you.

Sorry, run that by me again please? I'm not sure I'm following you.

To me it sounds like she thinks she's Gods personal messenger. To that I say:

God reaches everyone in her own way and has many faces. She's the one to judge who is worthy or not, not us mere mortals.

They did a nice job picking out colors for that house. If it had been brighter it would have been tacky, but it's subdued without being pastel. I also like how they are not being overly agressive, but being friendly. Killing with kindness, so to speak. They are right it might not make much of a difference with the adults, but maybe it will with the kids.

Since some particular users are extremely open about their religious views, allow me to elaborate my own. I was raised in an open environment, my parents gave me the choice to believe in whatever I wanted to. Embarking on the world with an unbiased opinion, and viewing catholic and christian religions I was actually repulsed from the entire aspects of religion and faith. Bigotry and discrimination happens so much more than people really put out. Long story short, Love who you want, live how you like. Don't expect me to stay silent if you're going to preach. Yadig?

as a pansexual and friend of many gays/bis/lesbians/pans/asexuals/straights and others.. i can say that sexuality doesn't make the person at all. just because you like a guy and you're a guy doesn't mean anything about who you are as a person.

there are millions of people out there stealing, raping, murdering, kidnapping and worse. rarely do you hear about gays specifically causing problems in the world.

so, if you want to keep two happy people from marriage, why don't you go on a life's journey getting out the REAL bad on the planet, first?

that's what i think. :T

If your God was just, fair, and about love, there'd be no issue whatsoever about gay marriage. biggrin.gif

My God, on the other hand, lives up to such characteristics. As long as no one is hurt, she doesn't give diddly squat about what happens.

To be human means to act humanely, and if you don't, then you need to shape up fast and figure out how.

They should have their rights to do what they want to do. If hetero couples can get married legally, why can't homosexual couples do so too? All is fair in love and war, no?

Here's the thing. You're welcome to believe this. No one is asking that your church to allow gay marriage within its walls, that your pastor marry two men, that you accept these marriages as spiritually valid. Not a church I want to be part of, but that's part of freedom of religion.

However, another part of freedom of religion means that your religious views cannot and should not influence PUBLIC POLICY. Because the moment that happens is the moment you're forcing your faith on people who don't believe it. And that becomes a state-run religion. Would you like it if you were forced to follow the morals of a religion you don't follow?

Marriage is not about God--in your faith, yes, but in public policy, it is not. It is about two people being able to be on each other's health care, or visiting each other in the hospital, or being able to file jointly on their taxes. It's practical stuff for the government. And yes--it's also about being able to show the world "I love this person; I want to be with him/her/whatever for the rest of my life." And in some faiths it's even about being able to say, "I love this person, and we will be together forever even into the afterlife."

Marriage is not about God--in your faith, yes, but in public policy, it is not. It is about two people being able to be on each other's health care, or visiting each other in the hospital, or being able to file jointly on their taxes. It's practical stuff for the government.

Which is why tax benefits for married couples should be abolished, and two consenting adults of either gender should be able to form a legal contract in regards to visitation rights, etc. I'm in favor of getting rid of all legal benefits and definitions of marriage. If someone wants a marriage ceremony, find someone to perform it for you.

Which is why tax benefits for married couples should be abolished, and two consenting adults of either gender should be able to form a legal contract in regards to visitation rights, etc. I'm in favor of getting rid of all legal benefits and definitions of marriage. If someone wants a marriage ceremony, find someone to perform it for you.

I kind of agree with you in a practical sense--the word "marriage" does seem to have a ton of religious connotations, albeit with a variety of religions--although it also is useful for those who wish to reproduce. But considering how much family is CHOSEN family to a lot of people, it's a really good idea.

I also agree in an off-topicy personal sense--we're in a polyamorous relationship, so my girlfriend will not marry either myself nor her boyfriend, because that leaves the other one out. It is a little scary though to realize none of us can have the other person on their insurance, and hospital visitation rights will be . . . well, let's just hope all of us stay healthy and unharmed, eh? It sucks that, for example, my horrible grandfather with whom I have no contact has more right to see me in the hospital than the woman I love does. /random

In the meantime, though, I'm more worried about keeping it equal between TWO people, since I know our little group will never have the same rights in this monogamous society. If we have a legal definition of marriage that is purely civil, then it should apply to all couples who choose to enter it. The end.

EDIT: Dear heavens, do I ramble.

Edited by vintageandroid

My bottom line is this simple:

You have a right to think Gay marriage is wrong. So, don't do it. BUT don't prevent others who love each other from THEIR right to marry and be happy. That you don't have the right to do.

Nothing to do with religion. Everything to do with humanity.

Edited by Riverwillows

Since some particular users are extremely open about their religious views, allow me to elaborate my own. I was raised in an open environment, my parents gave me the choice to believe in whatever I wanted to. Embarking on the world with an unbiased opinion, and viewing catholic and christian religions I was actually repulsed from the entire aspects of religion and faith. Bigotry and discrimination happens so much more than people really put out. Long story short, Love who you want, live how you like. Don't expect me to stay silent if you're going to preach. Yadig?

I'm not alone yay! xd.png

I posted a few pages back, but I decided to poke in again.

Being raised with no religious influence basically at all (minus the normal grace at thanksgiving and christmas dinner with one set of grandparents), I'm in the same boat with religion. I won't say I'm as far as repulsed by the catholic and christian faiths, but I'm strongly deterred away from them. Among many factors about it, my biggest stick-in-the-mud issue with them are the fact they preach all about this love and acceptance and threat thine neighbor how you want to be treated and stuff, yet the minute your neighbor were to say "Hi, I'm Randy and this is my husband Robert" you're supposed to condemn them to hell.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was some verse in the bible saying something like 'let those without sin cast the first stone' and everybody walked away or something like that. I think there's also something to do with how if you start judging people and taking God's job into your own hands, you condemn yourself to hell for impersonating him. Or something. I've never read the bible so I'm going off of the few verses I've heard in church when I go with my friends.

In essence, I agree with the quote above. If you're allowed to preach your rights, aren't I allowed to preach mine? And also, marriage has evolved and changed, so, so much over these last millennia. You can't tell me "It's always been one man, one woman!" because I will search up the articles I've read where it clearly states this hasn't always been the case.

If you're allowed the human right to marry, I should be too, regardless of what human genitals I would like to interact with.

I'm not alone yay! xd.png

I posted a few pages back, but I decided to poke in again.

Being raised with no religious influence basically at all (minus the normal grace at thanksgiving and christmas dinner with one set of grandparents), I'm in the same boat with religion. I won't say I'm as far as repulsed by the catholic and christian faiths, but I'm strongly deterred away from them. Among many factors about it, my biggest stick-in-the-mud issue with them are the fact they preach all about this love and acceptance and threat thine neighbor how you want to be treated and stuff, yet the minute your neighbor were to say "Hi, I'm Randy and this is my husband Robert" you're supposed to condemn them to hell.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought there was some verse in the bible saying something like 'let those without sin cast the first stone' and everybody walked away or something like that. I think there's also something to do with how if you start judging people and taking God's job into your own hands, you condemn yourself to hell for impersonating him. Or something. I've never read the bible so I'm going off of the few verses I've heard in church when I go with my friends.

In essence, I agree with the quote above. If you're allowed to preach your rights, aren't I allowed to preach mine? And also, marriage has evolved and changed, so, so much over these last millennia. You can't tell me "It's always been one man, one woman!" because I will search up the articles I've read where it clearly states this hasn't always been the case.

If you're allowed the human right to marry, I should be too, regardless of what human genitals I would like to interact with.

I bit of a quip from me, not all chirstians are like that (though it seems the vocal ones are dry.gif ) Heck the church I went to no one cared at all who anyones sexual preferences were, but we're also having a spike in kids coming out in high school to their friends and support from other parents (not their own).

I agree fully. I personally would furthermore add that in the perfect scenario, a person should have to be able to give the visitation rights, et cetera, to whoever s/he feels like, and to whichever number of people s/he feels like giving those rights to. If someone wants to give the visitation rights to the one's special one and a handful of good friends, but bar some relative with radically differing views from having the same rights over the one, why should there be any restrictions against it?

Won't go into a long history lesson, although I could, lets suffice to say that the bible is only 2000 years old. Humanity has been around much longer than that. And in many ancient societies, "two-souled" people were common, revered, and even made chiefs and shamans. They were integral contributing members of society. I will assume that marriage and kids were a given.

Even up til about 100 years ago it was allowed, if not "discussed" in polite society, tolerated and known, in many European countries, and was not even an issue in many Asian societies.

Do some serious research, you will find all this to be true. It's only in the last 100 years or so that it has been a bit of a taboo, and mostly only in American society.

Compared to the Millenniums we've been here on this planet. 100 years vs ???0000000. Puts it in a new perspective, hmmm???

Edited by Riverwillows

Uh, I want to put my 2 cents in here so here it goes. I'm Christian, so I believe this is wrong, and you guys are saying "Well, you shouldn't let your religious views get in the way of someone else's happiness." Well I just think you shouldn't do that, because what if we decide that gets in the way of our happiness, because we're religious? I'm not saying gay people are bad or anything, i'm just saying tone it down a little, because our religion strictly claims that gay marriage is bad. Again i'm not trying to be mean or nothing, but to us it is an abomination, so please don't be hating on people because they're Christian or Catholic or something that doesn't like gay marriage, thanks. unsure.gif

First of all no one is "hating" on religions. Just stating that people who are religious and feel gay marriage is wrong, should not prevent others who are NOT of their religion from being able to marry. That's is not right.

Second, you are saying "our" religion. No, it's YOUR religion, not that of others. If MY religious beliefs say something you are doing is wrong, whatever it is, I still don't have the right to prevent you from doing it. Your religion is just that. YOURS. Not mine, or someone elses. No one has a right to prevent someone not in their religious belief from things they don't feel is wrong.

You think it's wrong. Fine. Then YOU don't do it. Let others alone, don't try to make them conform to YOUR beliefs. That is not right. God gave the right of choice to everyone, not just people in a specific religion.

Peace. smile.gif

I'm just saying 'our' considering there's other people with my beliefs here. And it somewhat is due to the fact you are saying our religious beliefs get in the way of people's happiness. And i'm just stating I think it is wrong to pursue in such acts. And it states in the Bible, that homosexuality is wrong. I am not saying that you are just wrong, i'm stating that it is slightly inaccurate.

Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."