MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

... I had really hoped my sarcastic reply was as far fetched as I thought it sounded but I guess not... I don't go on facebook so...

That just makes me really sad. :I

Yeah, I was shocked to see it. I was like 'just a few weeks ago these same people were talking about freedom of speech and how much they loved Chick-fil-A'... It was insane.

Actually, a lot of people did post on Facebook that they'd stop eating Chick-fil-A when they heard that Chick-fil-A was going to stop donating to anti-gay organizations. I just don't understand some people. Food is food...but I will avoid spending my money at Chick-fil-A.

They could just, you know, donate their own money?

I wanted to share this. Not all Christians are against gay rights, for example. This links to a video, it's short, maybe 3 minutes. It's well worth the look.

http://gawker.com/5953357/missouri-pastors...ng-twist-ending

Did he go there knowing it was fake? Either way it was an amazing arugement when he ended the speech.

EDIT: after reading the comments I see it was planned. I believe that sometimes there is devine intervention and was asking if that was what happened here.

Edited by brairtrainer

I'm not sure if I should, but I will anyway. Right now, at school, one of my assignments is persuasive speech, and, as an LGBT member myself, I am doing Gay rights/marriage. I'd like to ask for some help, because MOST of the people at this school are extremely homophobic, and i'd like some of your opinions and interesting topics that are quite persuasive.

On the topic, of course, I am completely for gay marriage/rights. I've been attacked (physically and mentally) before for being LGBT, which has only made me want these rights more. The one thing is, that I don't get, is why humans are so anti-gay. There are lots of gay animals out in the wild, and the others that are around them simply don't care, because its not hurting them. Why does it hurt us, though? Is it really causing THAT much pain? Is it even causing ANY pain at all? I don't think so. Hetero couples are allowed to kiss their partner in public, and they won't be frowned at for doing it, but if same-sex couples do it, we get yelled at, death threats spat our way, and sometimes, sadly, killed. It makes me scared to be alive. It makes me ashamed to be a human. It's just....sad.

I'm not sure if I should, but I will anyway. Right now, at school, one of my assignments is persuasive speech, and, as an LGBT member myself, I am doing Gay rights/marriage. I'd like to ask for some help, because MOST of the people at this school are extremely homophobic, and i'd like some of your opinions and interesting topics that are quite persuasive.

On the topic, of course, I am completely for gay marriage/rights. I've been attacked (physically and mentally) before for being LGBT, which has only made me want these rights more. The one thing is, that I don't get, is why humans are so anti-gay. There are lots of gay animals out in the wild, and the others that are around them simply don't care, because its not hurting them. Why does it hurt us, though? Is it really causing THAT much pain? Is it even causing ANY pain at all? I don't think so. Hetero couples are allowed to kiss their partner in public, and they won't be frowned at for doing it, but if same-sex couples do it, we get yelled at, death threats spat our way, and sometimes, sadly, killed. It makes me scared to be alive. It makes me ashamed to be a human. It's just....sad.

I completely agree. I really don't see why it's such a big deal. Everyone says love is beautiful, but if two peole of the same gender love each other, it's wrong? I don't get it.

I'm all for gay rights, think about this:

I hate colored people because they are different, they are a sin and not normal. All colored people should die because they are different.

Now replace "colored people" with "gays"

Its the same thing, discrimination. It needs to stop, we are all people and love conquers all. United as one we stand tall. One heart <3

Honestly, I think the vast majority of anti-gay/LGBT sentiment boils down to "because the Bible". That's it. People taking a couple bits of scripture and running with them. Also, there's "Ewwww, I think that people doing X is gross, therefore it's wrong and ev0l and I must stop it." Not much actual logic or cogent reasoning involved. I just don't get it. At all. Last time I checked, my mum's coworker and his husband were not doing things such as carrying children off or invading people's homes and forcing them to watch teh ghey sexxing.

People are incredibly dim, on the whole. They just can't/don't want to understand those who are different. It really does come down to religious teaching and/or personal distaste, neither of which are actually good bases for laws. The same tired old excuses just keep getting recycled with a new minority inserted, and they always make exactly the same amount of sense: none.

I'm excited/nervous-there's a marriage equality measure up for vote in my state today. The numbers so far are nominally on our side, but the anti-gay marriage brigade have been doing their best to scare people here. They're running ads, some featuring people from Massachusetts, which mostly amount to "OMG THE SCHOOLS WILL TEACH YOUR CHILDREN ABOUT TEH GHEY AND THERE WILL BE NOTHING YOU CAN DO! It happened in my state and IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU TOO O NOEZ!" Evidently, that's the best they can come up with. The schools will educate your children about teh gheyz and tell them that it's okay for boys to marry boys. These are, it would seem, bad things. blink.gif (Hey, what about the girls marrying girls-is that less icky to them because there's [usually] no penis involved? And why am I expecting any sort of logical consistency from these people?)

As you will no doubt guess, it's utter nonsense, as HuffPo shows here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thalia-zepat..._b_2046701.html

BUt hey, why should facts get in th eway of good rhetoric, amirite?

I think it's really, really disgusting that people's rights are being voted on, but I'm hopeful that we, at least, will make marriage equality happen. I would especially love to see all four of the states that have an equality measure on their ballots pass them. If even one does, though, we can be done with the stupid "no state has ever voted for it" crap. I would really love for the NOM and organisations like them to choke on a couple of pro-equality victories.

A lot of the people are against it for religious reasons. Or they think it's gross and seem to equate "I don't like it" with "nobody should have anything to do with it".

They also fear anything but heterosexuality, because they don't understand it. Some of them can be reached and will change their minds when they realize that sexuality has no real impact on who you are as a person. Others refuse to try to understand because that would mean they were wrong.

It's interesting, but in society today a lot of people tie their beliefs to their identity, and if their beliefs prove wrong then it means they have to look at other things they believe and what if everything was wrong? It frightens them, and would make them question themselves--they tie their beliefs so strongly to their identities that the two become one and the same, so one belief being wrong might make them a lesser person in their mind, and would mean that they as a person were perhaps bad or wrong and they will need to become somebody else. They feel lost and afraid when confronted with such a thought, even if it's an unconscious one, and thus try to avoid questioning their realities lest they be forced to find themselves again.

/learns a lot from classes

The trick is showing them that they were wrong, but it doesn't make them a bad person to have been wrong. They just didn't know, and if they're willing to learn it's okay.

BUt hey, why should facts get in th eway of good rhetoric, amirite?

Good rhetoric would make effective use of facts. ;D /is taking a rhetoric class

Edited by KageSora

Good rhetoric would make effective use of facts. ;D /is taking a rhetoric class

*nod* Yeah. Not so much actually good as simply effective. Although if someone is gullible/bigoted/stupid enough to take all of this "O NOES TEH GHEYS WILL INFECT YOUR KIDZ" as actual fact, then it probably seems good, as it does to the people putting this dreck out there. Twisting facts to suit their narrative has, of late, apparently also qualified as using "good" rhetoric, judging by how it is received by certain groups/people. Again, though, "effective" =/= "good".

(This is only sort-of related to the above, but I just had a song pop into my head: "Homophobes are just pissed 'cause they can't get laid". xd.png Oh, punk bands, this is why I love you. That will probably be playing in my head all night.)

Edited by LascielsShadow

In your case, I'd stick to the facts of what a lack of gay marriage does, like being unable to see your partner in ICU, or make emergency decisions for your partner or children, to things like losing your home if you're partner dies, because you have no right to inherit.

Here's a good source:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/mar...fits-30190.html

And if you want to have someone go into detail about the linguistic problems with the verses everyone assumes are about homosexuality, I'd be more than willing to help. Or possibly poke the wife into helping.

In your case, I'd stick to the facts of what a lack of gay marriage does, like being unable to see your partner in ICU, or make emergency decisions for your partner or children, to things like losing your home if you're partner dies, because you have no right to inherit.

Here's a good source:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/mar...fits-30190.html

And if you want to have someone go into detail about the linguistic problems with the verses everyone assumes are about homosexuality, I'd be more than willing to help. Or possibly poke the wife into helping.

I'd like to know what makes straight people like me so much more privileged than any homosexual or bisexual. Really, what does? Some book who people consider to be a religious item doesn't give them the right to dictate everyone's lives. They are just like me. I don't care if they are attracted to both or the same sex. Doesn't make me more special that I like the opposite sex.

If they can't have basic rights like me why should I even have them either?

Makes no since to me at all.

One big problem that has nothing to do with religion is simply what people believe to be the definition of the word marriage. They think marriage = man and woman, and that's it. I'd give examples of marriage between same sexes in ancient times to prove that marriage hasn't always been defined as between a man and a woman, and also make an argument for how people shouldn't be denied to marry the one they love because of limitations we set on a word, especially since we change the common definition of words on a regular basis. Back when I was against gay marriage, it was purely because I was stubborn about having my definition of the word marriage changed.

One big problem that has nothing to do with religion is simply what people believe to be the definition of the word marriage. They think marriage = man and woman, and that's it. I'd give examples of marriage between same sexes in ancient times to prove that marriage hasn't always been defined as between a man and a woman, and also make an argument for how people shouldn't be denied to marry the one they love because of limitations we set on a word, especially since we change the common definition of words on a regular basis. Back when I was against gay marriage, it was purely because I was stubborn about having my definition of the word marriage changed.

The definition of the word marriage is why my parent's say we just need to call it a civil union for everyone and be done with it. The problem is that I know several states have outlawed civil unions (my state has it in the constitution last I checked) and of course civil unions don't give the same benefits.

Also here for a bit of advice. My boyfriend of more than two years is squimish on gay rights, been taught all his life that it was wrong because of the bible because of his parents. Now he's come a long way from when I first started dating him (first wanted nothing to do with it and being paranoid, now he's doing research and trying to understand) though he thinks being gay is a choice so they know what rights they choose to give up by making the choice. I am on the side that you don't chose to be LGBT you just are if you are.

I've been encouraging my boyfriend when he looks up things about gays in more neutral areas, but for the most part we stay off the subject because it causes each of us to turn nasty to each other rather quick. Am I doing all that I can to help enlighten him? He is a good guy and willing to learn but this one part drives me insane because he seems to take two steps forward and one giant step back every couple of months on the issue.

love knows no gender. thats all there is to it if you love someone you have every right to be with them same sex or not. how would us straight people like it if someone said "oh u cant be with that person because he isnt your gender" we wouldnt be happy about it right? also they have every right to use the word marrage for their union just as much as straight people do. why dont we focus on things that actually matter rather than who loves/marries who? cuz quite honestly thats a huge waist of money and time to deal with something thats not even an issue.

Can I just say for a millionth time, that marriage is not considered a sacrament? It never has been. The sacrament is known as "holy matrimony"and it exists so that various churches can claim other marriages not valid. Christians didn't want to be lumped in with pagans and others, so they made a sacrament with a special name. "Marriage" is not the religious union, "matrimony" is.

That's why, for example, if you're Catholic and aren't married in the Catholic Church, you're not considered married. It's the same way in every protestant sect I've ever heard of.

I'm... I'm just gonna go cry now. ;~;

This is why I don't like people. DX

... Yeah I'm gonna go cry with you. ;n;

Ugh... so apparently I'm a foul disgusting animal now and I should be in a cage.

That just... urgghghgh. I just don't understand how someone can hate a person so much solely because they love someone the same sex as them. .______.

Imma go mope.

Edited by Switch

I'm really considering downloading some sort of comment blocker, since whenever I read the comments of an LGBT related article, I tend to end up in tears. But for some reason, I can't stop myself from reading them. So hopefully that'll kind of help, because I really don't like reading about how I'm subhuman and am going to Hell for something I can't change.

... Yeah I'm gonna go cry with you. ;n;

Ugh... so apparently I'm a foul disgusting animal now and I should be in a cage.

That just... urgghghgh. I just don't understand how someone can hate a person so much solely because they love someone the same sex as them. .______.

Imma go mope.

Yes, according to that person, we should all be locked up in a cage so we can rot and die while they try to rid us of the 'demons' that posses us.

Also, a few more from that page,

...I do not believe that gay people should have the same rights as other. As the matter of fact, I believe that they should be stripped of most of their rights. Their sexual acts are clearly a violation of the Bible. God did not intend for us to be gay. That is why he created two different sexes. Being gay is immoral, unethical, degrading, and sick in every nature. Homosexuality should be outlawed. It is true that when they are behind closed doors, they can whatever they want. But, let’s keep it there. I hate seeing gay people in society. I can't believe people actually admit that they are gay. Therefore, my answer is no. All homosexuals should lose certain right (especially the right to get married and have children).

....Gay people should not be allowed to walk the streets. It is clearly written in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin. Any gay caught practicing their sick ways in public should be put in jail. They should not be allowed to get married, have kids, apply for loans together, or even be seen together in society. Gay people are nothing but freaks of nature and if they want to do that stuff behind closed doors, then do it there. You have no right to share your sick ideas with the decent people in the world. I agree with Bulldog 100%. No one is afraid of a gay men or gay wemen. I just don’t want to share my society with such trash. I think it is sick to think that if I go into a public rest room that there is the possibility that an AIDS infested gay used the same toilet. SICK. I am not a racist, but I will admit that I hate gay people. I think they should create an island, far away from normal society and put all gay people on it. That way they can do their sick acts far away from normal people and not be such a menace to society.

Well, I'm better off staying inside and pretending that i'm straight. Excuse me while I go cry.

And this is why Government and Religion are separate. There are religious crazies out there who only read what they want to read in the bible. They interpret it how they want to. It's basically the same as suicide bombers who claim that their religion is telling them to kill innocent people. It's an easy excuse to be a deplorable human being. No one ACTUALLY follows the bible to the letter as these people seem to claim. If they did, they would be stoned to death for wearing clothing made of two types of material.

These are the same people who claim that people other than White men aren't human. These are the same people who think Hitler was doing god's work. These are the human beings that I wish I could round together and send them to live on an island together to hate the world away from everyone else.

I may be Heteroromantic, but that doesn't mean i'm against people with different sexual orientations than myself. That would be like condemning people who like onions on their pizza because I can't stand it. We're all people. We're all human beings.

Edited by MysticTiger

Posting something else one here. I have seen lots of things where people are horrible. They need to realize "Liberty and Justice FOR ALL" All means everyone right? It doesnt say "all straight people" I dunno maybe I'm blind. Anyone else on here get horribly frustrated to the point of tears because we aren't treated equal and we have to fight for the rights everyone else has?

Anyone else on here get horribly frustrated to the point of tears because we aren't treated equal and we have to fight for the rights everyone else has?

Yes. Although it's even more frustrating and hurtful to see comments like the ones on that site Tazzay linked to. It's disgusting that someone would talk about fellow human beings in that manner.

I simply cannot comprehend how being gay equates me or anyone else to being an animal that deserves to be locked up.