MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

I don't understand why gay people shouldn't have the same rights as anybody else. Gays and lesbians are people too! I'm not an adult yet, but I know some gay/lesbian adults, and I understand them. My great-uncle is gay, and he's a great guy. When he was about twenty, he left for new York, where my grandma lived then, because the area in Missouri where he grew up wouldn't have accepted him if he stayed.

Edited by PlutoIsHades

Same-sex marriages are legal in several countries and the world has yet to go under.

I have nothing at all against gay marriage. If it makes people happy, why not allow it?

I won't lie. I have nothing against gays but some lesbians make me slightly wary. That isn't even the right word, and it's only some of them.

I heard a video clip where some woman was seriously comparing gay people to terrorists. I lost a little bit of faith in humanity that day.

Edited by Wolfsong442

I won't lie. I have nothing against gays but some lesbians make me slightly wary. That isn't even the right word, and it's only some of them.

...?

Can you elaborate more? I'm just curious--why do you feel differently about lesbians than gays? What is it about female/female relationships you find off-putting that isn't also found in male/male relationships?

If it's something you don't want to talk about, that's fine, I'm just intrigued.

Is it the whole "might hit on me" thing? I've seen that a lot, and it seems to be a relatively common concern, however unsubstantiated it may be. Men who are perfectly okay with lesbians suddenly get all freaked around gay men, and women who are fine with gay guys get wary/nervous around lesbians.

When a friend puts forth that view, I try to joke about it, "don't worry, you aren't my type" or something.

Is it the whole "might hit on me" thing? I've seen that a lot, and it seems to be a relatively common concern, however unsubstantiated it may be. Men who are perfectly okay with lesbians suddenly get all freaked around gay men, and women who are fine with gay guys get wary/nervous around lesbians.

I always tell them that logically, gay guys are decreasing competition for straight men by eliminating themselves from being potential partners for girls, and that straight guys are really competing with lesbians and vice versa-it's a bit of a recurring joke for me.

I always tell them that logically, gay guys are decreasing competition for straight men by eliminating themselves from being potential partners for girls, and that straight guys are really competing with lesbians and vice versa-it's a bit of a recurring joke for me.

Hence why I get jealous when I see lesbian couples - that's not just one, but *two* less chances I have of scoring.

I must be missing something here, because aside from religious reasons, and people being finicky, I haven't found a single reason why same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed. Two people love each other, and want to be legally tied together- just what is so wrong, or so hard to accept about that? blink.gif

In my country, homosexuality was illegal until about a year ago. Not that it stopped couples from actually getting together. Most people just turned a blind eye to them, although that's not to say that they didn't face any difficulties. Still, things are getting better here. It helps that there have been plenty of records of gay pairings in our history, and that the main religion here doesn't really forbid it. Maybe gay marriage will also be legalized soon. I really hope so.

I still think it's silly that there are still people against gay marriage. The only valid argument against it is religion (and even in religion there's not much of an argument as far as I can see), but not everyone has the same beliefs, obviously.

I dunno, do you guys think the younger generation is more accepting? Do we just have to wait for more people to reach voting age?

I dunno, do you guys think the younger generation is more accepting? Do we just have to wait for more people to reach voting age?

I don't think the younger generations are all that much more accepting than the older ones... I'm in secondary college and there are very few people who are pro-gay marriage, let alone pro-gay. :/

Speaking as a girl with a "lesbian" hair cut, I think I'd know...

But yay same-sex marriage. <3 Wonderful amazing thing.

I don't think the younger generations are all that much more accepting than the older ones... I'm in secondary college and there are very few people who are pro-gay marriage, let alone pro-gay. :/

Speaking as a girl with a "lesbian" hair cut, I think I'd know...

But yay same-sex marriage. <3 Wonderful amazing thing.

My dad and I had a discussion about gayness and gay rights last night. He said when he was growing up, if he was to even say, "Gayness isn't such a bad thing," he would have been beaten up. Maybe today some people would still beat you up, but I don't think nearly as many kids would start punching you.

When a friend puts forth that view, I try to joke about it, "don't worry, you aren't my type" or something.

We once had a lesbian couple at work and my female coworkers got really nervous around them. The couple quit before I had the chance to ask my coworkers that a/ what part of their making out didn't you get? and b/ you're surrounded by guys, nervous now?

http://satwcomic.com/god-hates-sweden

I love this comic =3 Sweden makes me laugh in that one. Plus, a little humor to add that's kind of on topic.

satwcomic.com/satw-couples ~Link broken for language~

And I just love that one, especially Denmark/Norway.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'm 100% for gay marriage. I've honestly yet to hear a single valid argument from those against it. And frankly, I don't see why just because you don't like something yourself, that should mean that no one else is able to enjoy the right.

I don't like yellow. Does that mean no one else in the world should be allowed to wear yellow shirts? No, that would just be ridiculous, wouldn't it?

^ This x2.

Honestly, I've ranted about this topic so many times that I'm sick of hearing about it. It just seems like I'm arguing as to why I live in a house. Yes, I suppose I could live in the street, and I could not allow gay marriage, but there's little point in either. D|

Also with that hitting on thing lolwtfbbq. It only makes me think of this scenario.

"HELP, I WORK WITH A LESBIAN, SHE MIGHT HIT ON ME!"

"Oh my god!"

"I know, it's awful! It's nothing at all like a man hitting on me!"

"Or even the creepiness level you would get from an ugly to average looking man hitting on you!"

"I must be her type, after all! All lesbians want to bang every other moving female thing, right?!"

"Obviously."

Also, yes, SATW is amazing. <3

http://satwcomic.com/god-hates-sweden

I love this comic =3 Sweden makes me laugh in that one. Plus, a little humor to add that's kind of on topic.

satwcomic.com/satw-couples ~Link broken for language~

And I just love that one, especially Denmark/Norway.

I love those comics... I have so many in my Favourites on DeviantArt!

...And lots of yaoi, so you can guess my opinion on gay rights. biggrin.gif

(I'm all for gay marriage, adoption and the like, if you can't guess. wink.gif )

What's my opinion on gay rights? Hmm, that's a hard one... /sarcasm

Seriously, though I'm very much in support of equality for Lgbt folks. (and I also supportvpologamy being legal, but that's for another topic...)

I mean, why shouldn't I be allowed to marry the person I fall in love with? Why shouldn't we be allowed to adopt kids. The idea of actually being pregnant and giving birth squicks me out... Even if I were to marry a man (chances of that are next to 0), I'd sooner adopt than have to be pregnant myself...

NC Church refuses to marry straight couples until gay marriage is legalised

While I think it's a good move by the church to stand by their beliefs, I get the feeling that those who oppose marriage equality will try to use this as proof the 'the gays are taking over!'... :/

Eh, at this rate they could probably make people sitting in a room, twiddling their thumbs proof of "teh gays taking over!"

I say good for the Church.

Eh, at this rate they could probably make people sitting in a room, twiddling their thumbs proof of "teh gays taking over!"

I say good for the Church.

Yeah, I agree. It always makes my heart glad to see stories like this.

My question is, why is it anyones business who someone chooses to marry?

It's probably a control thing...