Bear

Abortion

Personally I think it should be pro-choice and anti-choice. Pro-choice lets you have the option of keeping the child so it's not anti-life, whereas anti-choice is accurate because it gives you no choice since you must birth the child. Pretty sure pro-life isn't entirely accurate either since some people who label themselves as pro-life would be okay with the mother dying from childbirth as long as she didn't abort.

Personally I think it should be pro-choice and anti-choice. Pro-choice lets you have the option of keeping the child so it's not anti-life, whereas anti-choice is accurate because it gives you no choice since you must birth the child. Pretty sure pro-life isn't entirely accurate either since some people who label themselves as pro-life would be okay with the mother dying from childbirth as long as she didn't abort.

Right on ! *high five*

VERY good point about the pro-life/dead mother thing, too.

Abortion is not illegal. I am not in favor of abortion because I think that if, for example, my parents should aborted me, since they had me when they were 30 years old and they were still young, I would not be here writing this. Imagine if your parents had an abortion... you would not be here. This is the feeling that I have. However, who abort must have a valid reason because it is taking the life of a person. You must think before having a child.

Abortion is not illegal. I am not in favor of abortion because I think that if, for example, my parents should aborted me, since they had me when they were 30 years old and they were still young, I would not be here writing this. Imagine if your parents had an abortion... you would not be here. This is the feeling that I have. However, who abort must have a valid reason because it is taking the life of a person. You must think before having a child.

So? I wouldn't know if my parents aborted me, I wasn't aware then, and thus I would have never known what life would have been like. The point is moot. Anyways, what do you mean by valid reason?

So? I wouldn't know if my parents aborted me, I wasn't aware then, and thus I would have never known what life would have been like. The point is moot. Anyways, what do you mean by valid reason?

^this^ - you wouldn't have known.

30 isn't young. I had my first child at 21.... (THAT was too young, IMHO ! I was not much of a parent, I have to say !)

I am not in favor of abortion because I think that if, for example, my parents should aborted me, since they had me when they were 30 years old and they were still young, I would not be here writing this. Imagine if your parents had an abortion... you would not be here. This is the feeling that I have. However, who abort must have a valid reason because it is taking the life of a person. You must think before having a child.

I personally don't like abortion because I'm adopted and if I was aborted I wouldn't be here.

However, I also am pro-choice because I realize that I'm one of the lucky ones who got a good family when I was born. The adoption system is far from perfect, and needs a lot of fixing. In an ideal world, the adoption system would guarantee children good, loving homes and any parents who didn't have a health (mental, emotional, or physical) reason for an abortion would be able to have the child and put it up for adoption. But it's not an ideal world.

If I had the choice between a hellish life with parents who didn't want me or having never been born at all, I would much rather have been aborted before I understood the concepts of pleasure and pain instead of knowing more pain than pleasure. While in non-existence there is no pleasure, there's also no pain and for me, that lack of pain negates the lack of pleasure.

And as for taking the life of a person... What if they don't believe that it's a person? Not everybody thinks that life starts at conception.

Also, how do you know they didn't try to prevent having that child? Birth control fails--or do you think that sex is ONLY used for creating children? Because it has other uses--like deepening the intimate bond between two people, or for stress relief, or just for pleasure in general. As long as they're being responsible with their sex, I don't see why they should be forbidden an abortion if birth control failed and they ended up with a kid they couldn't take care of.

While I agree that one should always take becoming a parent seriously, it is incorrect to assume that everyone is glad they weren't aborted.

Personal experience: When a facebook status came up asking people what they would do if they could go back in time, people commented on going to meet X famous person, see Y historical event, live in Z forgotten culture, assassinate Hitler (/sneaking in Godwin's Law). I said go back some years and tell my mother not to have that child.

Petty sure I've told that story here before.

While I agree that one should always take becoming a parent seriously, it is incorrect to assume that everyone is glad they weren't aborted.

Personal experience: When a facebook status came up asking people what they would do if they could go back in time, people commented on going to meet X famous person, see Y historical event, live in Z forgotten culture, assassinate Hitler (/sneaking in Godwin's Law). I said go back some years and  tell my mother not to have that child.

Petty sure I've told that story here before.

I am very pro-choice - but Nix - I am SO glad you can't. I'd miss you smile.gif

Yeah yeah - if you could, I wouldn't know you to miss you but I would anyway - you know what I mean !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Let's see how much this argument has been debunked.

Well, if I was aborted..

1.I wouldn't have cared. Why? Because I wouldn't have been aware of it in the first place, or of my existance.

2.With my belief, I would've just been someone else if that happened.

3. Do you know how many kids WELCOME the idea of if their mother got rid of them? Let's think about that and the starving unloved kids.

So even if your mom really, really wanted to abort you, you'd force her to birth you?

I would have been happy if my parents aborted me. I don't want to be here, and frankly I'm a little peeved that no one asked me and they forced me to live.

There are times in my life where I wish I was not here, I think everyone goes through that at some point.

But when I think about the fact that someday I WON'T be here anymore? It scares me to the core.

There is a big difference between knowing what it is to be alive and to never have lived at all.

There are times in my life where I wish I was not here, I think everyone goes through that at some point.

But when I think about the fact that someday I WON'T be here anymore? It scares me to the core.

There is a big difference between knowing what it is to be alive and to never have lived at all.

Also between being alive at all and never having the consciousness that there was such a thing as life (of any kind) - which is the position of an embryo.

I've had bits of me removed in surgery. There is no real difference between that and abortion for at least the first 3 months of a pregnancy. Removal of bodily tissue. MY bodily tissue.

Valid reason? This is a very difficult question. I can't answer. But you're right, a child doesn't know if his parents abort. You're right.

I feel the same feeling and I'm afraid.

I think the political angle of the thing keeps people using the terms they think the most people will agree with though.

Also, I'm glad Nix can't either. Sorry Nix, stuck here for now =p

And if women could act on wishing they weren't born, we'd loose a big chunk of ladies once a month, every month. tongue.gif

Any reason is a valid reason.

Actually I will say that I don't MYSELF think gender selection is a valid reason, unless in the case of a gender related disease... That does scare me....

Actually I will say that I don't MYSELF think gender selection is a valid reason, unless in the case of a gender related disease... That does scare me....

I think that's somewhat low too. I wouldn't do this, and I don't REALLY support this as a "legitimate" reason. But if the alternative is an unloved child, then so be it.

I think abortion is wrong. You say the world is over populated eh? Well then, COLONIZE OTHER PLANETS!!!! Go to Mars for petes sake! Don't just kill innocent human beings because the plannet is over populated! Killing people is a stupid solution to planet population. You may say that the babies are not human in their mother's womb, but they are. How could someone be an alien and then suddenly turn into a human the second they come out? It's just not possible. So, when you say "Oh I'm not killing a human." your wrong. Abortion is wrong, and evil and I'm going to leave it at that for now.

So even if your mom really, really wanted to abort you, you'd force her to birth you?

I would have been happy if my parents aborted me. I don't want to be here, and frankly I'm a little peeved that no one asked me and they forced me to live.

So, if your neighbor really, really wanted to murder you, you'd let him?

I agree with you Takaya-Cordelain. However, I don't condemn the mother who commits the abortion. It is the abortion that is evil, not the person. Also, let me just say, with gay-rights, this country's population will probably drop dramatically.

Edited by Zephyrgirl

So, if your neighbor really, really wanted to murder you, you'd let him?

I, unlike an early fetus, have a brain. Before I had one, there was no 'I'.

An early fetus is a human, yes - but it is not a person, thus it is not equal to a human who is already born, or who is at least about viable for life outside of the mother's womb.

I think abortion is wrong. You say the world is over populated eh? Well then, COLONIZE OTHER PLANETS!!!! Go to Mars for petes sake!

You're fine to think that, but...uh...we do not have the technology to colonize other planets yet! We're working on it, yes...but it's likely at least a decade away from being ready.

An early fetus is a human, yes - but it is not a person, thus it is not equal to a human who is already born, or who is at least about viable for life outside of the mother's womb.

Can you prove this? Can you with out the even the tiniest sliver of doubt say that a fetus is not a person? No one knows what truly defines a human as a person and I find it kind of scary that every one seems to have their own deffinition of when life starts.

Can you prove this? Can you with out the even the tiniest sliver of doubt say that a fetus is not a person?

Being a person requires the ability to think. An early fetus does not have anything to think with. Thus, an early fetus is not a person.

Edited by Shienvien

I think abortion is wrong. You say the world is over populated eh? Well then, COLONIZE OTHER PLANETS!!!! Go to Mars for petes sake! Don't just kill innocent human beings because the plannet is over populated! Killing people is a stupid solution to planet population. You may say that the babies are not human in their mother's womb, but they are. How could someone be an alien and then suddenly turn into a human the second they come out? It's just not possible. So, when you say "Oh I'm not killing a human." your wrong. Abortion is wrong, and evil and I'm going to leave it at that for now.

That is your view. Not everyone shares it, and some day you or someone you love may find yourself in a position where abortion is the only sensible option. I wish you luck.

But don't try and impose your view on others. No-one here will make you have an abortion.