Bear

Abortion

Well, if people spread out more, then more people could have gardens and grow their own food, and they could also raise more animals for meat. So, in the long run, it would be better for a lot of people to spread out more (it may not help everywhere, but that's just what makes the most sense to me). But, thank you for pointing that out. smile.gif

Well, if people spread out more, then more people could have gardens and grow their own food, and they could also raise more animals for meat. So, in the long run, it would be better for a lot of people to spread out more (it may not help everywhere, but that's just what makes the most sense to me). But, thank you for pointing that out. smile.gif

You said you're only fourteen? (I was reading another thread) Then you have NO idea what's happening all around the world. These were my exact thoughts when I was your age and was being brainwashed by my family's religion. My mind was full of "why doesn't the world just do this?" I didn't get a chance to find things out until I paid for other classes when I was in my late teens and I had a personal incident happen to a friend that changed by views when I was around fifteen. The fantasy of "spreading out" and "finding more food" is easier said than done. Much. Prepare for a big wake up call. Which is what happened to me and why I became pro-choice and will never change. Not trying to sound like I'm saying "You're stupid and young" but being fourteen, you're limited on what you're able to learn for a while.

I'm christian and I don't see children as something to be blessed with personally unless I've asked for them from the l-rd. But I never will.

Edited for better wording.

Edited by GhostChilli

Gotta go with Ghosty there. (Is it alright if I call you Ghosty?)

It's not a simple matter of spreading out. Space =/= more resources. Some places are downright inhospitable, be it due to climate, terrain, or other reasons. Resources are finite, no matter where people live, close together or far apart.

Edited by Omega Entity

Gotta go with Ghosty there. (Is it alright if I call you Ghosty?)

It's not a simple matter of spreading out. Space =/= more resources. Some places are downright inhospitable, be it due to climate, terrain, or other reasons. Resources are finite, no matter where people live, close together or far apart.

Lol that's okay. I just get frustrated when I see people say things like "Why can't we just live in other places? There's plenty of space." I like educating younger people on this because usually they just rely on parents and family, like I did. And you know what my family told me? "Abortion is wrong. There's always a way. I don't know what way but uhh...you just can't do it. The end. Don't ask again. There's your answer."

Lol that's okay. I just get frustrated when I see people say things like "Why can't we just live in other places? There's plenty of space." I like educating younger people on this because usually they just rely on parents and family, like I did. And you know what my family told me? "Abortion is wrong. There's always a way. I don't know what way but uhh...you just can't do it. The end. Don't ask again. There's your answer."

I was raised SDA, so I feel your pain on that, and even shared many of the same sentiments as my mostly-conservative family. After some exposure to different ideas when I was in my late teens/early 20s, I'm now likely one of the more liberal (read: more middle of the road, not total-left wingnut) people in my family.

Thankfully my mother is the most awesome mother ever, and continues to let me live under her roof despite our differing beliefs. "You're entitled to your opinions, just as I'm entitled to mine."

God, I love my mom.

Edit: Posted before I was done.

Edited by Omega Entity

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion and anyone who can get pregnant should have the option to abort. Maybe it's selfish/inhumane of me, but if the mother can't afford/take care of the child, or if the baby just doesn't happen at the right time, they should have the option of abortion.

A lot of times I get tipped off at how women are at a bigger disadvantage because they commit a lot more time and energy with reproduction(not to mention the strain society puts on women). The invention of condoms and other birth-control methods helped feminism a lot, as women don't have to be burdened with children beyond their control for 9 months while the men just walks away whatsoever. In my mind, abortion, too, is similar to that. It's a decisions they should be able to make for themselves, rather than keeping the baby even if the mother just doesn't want it/can't afford it.

I guess I'm affected by teenage moms. I would rather they aborted the child than keep it, because raising a child requires a great deal of work, and it practically ruins their whole future.

Edited by OtomeKristinOtaku

I dunno. There's some teenage moms who are far better mothers than their older, supposedly-more-responsible counterparts, and bear the burden gladly. It sounds like you're looking down on young mothers who choose not to abort, or at least that's how your post comes off. After all, isn't it their place to judge whether they've 'ruined their futures', rather than anyone else? And nothing says that they can't still be a successful person and still be a mother.

Like anything else, blanket statements don't do anyone any good, and it should always be up to the mother, regardless of age, on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by Omega Entity

I dunno. There's some teenage moms who are far better mothers than their older, supposedly-more-responsible counterparts, and bear the burden gladly. It sounds like you're looking down on young mothers who choose not to abort, or at least that's how your post comes off. After all, isn't it their place to judge whether they've 'ruined their futures', rather than anyone else? And nothing says that they can't still be a successful person and still be a mother.

Like anything else, blanket statements don't do anyone any good, and it should always be up to the mother, regardless of age, on a case-by-case basis.

I'm sorry if my post came across as if I was looking down on teenage moms. Even though there are some teenage moms that handle things pretty well, a lot of others just aren't mature enough. Supporting a child is really hard for them, because they themselves are at times no more than a child. It's a lot harder for them to adjust, and usually they don't get support from the child's father(highschool breakup).

If the mother wants to keep the child though, then it's totally up to her. But sometimes I do feel that the decision is slightly rushed, and that a lot of teenagers don't know the consequences because of lack of better judgement.

I'm sorry if my post came across as if I was looking down on teenage moms. Even though there are some teenage moms that handle things pretty well, a lot of others just aren't mature enough. Supporting a child is really hard for them, because they themselves are at times no more than a child. It's a lot harder for them to adjust, and usually they don't get support from the child's father(highschool breakup).

If the mother wants to keep the child though, then it's totally up to her. But sometimes I do feel that the decision is slightly rushed, and that a lot of teenagers don't know the consequences because of lack of better judgement.

Although I think this is partially true, I've known some awesome teen moms that did a much better job than some women I know. Few though. My parents were teens when they had me. My dad did an amazing job, although I had to endure a toxic environment of bad step moms, divorce, and bible thumps, he was a good dad.

You said you're only fourteen? (I was reading another thread) Then you have NO idea what's happening all around the world. These were my exact thoughts when I was your age and was being brainwashed by my family's religion. My mind was full of "why doesn't the world just do this?" I didn't get a chance to find things out until I paid for other classes when I was in my late teens and I had a personal incident happen to a friend that changed by views when I was around fifteen. The fantasy of "spreading out" and "finding more food" is easier said than done. Much. Prepare for a big wake up call. Which is what happened to me and why I became pro-choice and will never change. Not trying to sound like I'm saying "You're stupid and young" but being fourteen, you're limited on what you're able to learn for a while.

I'm christian and I don't see children as something to be blessed with personally unless I've asked for them from the l-rd. But I never will.

Edited for better wording.

As I said, it wouldn't solve all problems, I just said it might solve SOME problems. I know that I don't know everything, and I know that in the future I will understand things more fully, but I do know that there are better ways to do a lot of things than how a lot of people are currently doing things. But, anyway, I think I'll leave this discussion for you older people. Bye!

As I said, it wouldn't solve all problems, I just said it might solve SOME problems. I know that I don't know everything, and I know that in the future I will understand things more fully, but I do know that there are better ways to do a lot of things than how a lot of people are currently doing things. But, anyway, I think I'll leave this discussion for you older people. Bye!

I didn't mean to make it sound like you aren't completely ready for this topic. I'd be more than happy to give you real facts about this. I'm sure other people would too. So you can at least learn some good things here. I can try to answer any questions you have about this.

We HAVE changed people's views here after a dosage of real information and myth debunking.

Someone cannot force you to donate blood or an organ to save their life. Therefore someone cannot force you to sustain someone else's life if it infringes on your own body. And also most abortions happen before the brain is even developed.

*Brushes off dust*

Couldn't resist since I was forced to hear my family discuss this topic. I didn't take part but it was interesting to hear all of the arguments.

What I've noticed is that most arguments (the ones I see at least) NEVER bring up actual science and biology. It's always "situations". That's kind of..disappointing sad.gif Are some people afraid of learning this kind of stuff?

*Brushes off dust*

Couldn't resist since I was forced to hear my family discuss this topic. I didn't take part but it was interesting to hear all of the arguments.

What I've noticed is that most arguments (the ones I see at least) NEVER bring up actual science and biology. It's always "situations". That's kind of..disappointing sad.gif Are some people afraid of learning this kind of stuff?

Yes. Because SEX.

It's the same mentality that won't allow REAL sex ed in schools till people are WAY past it and already indulging - because REAL sex ed tells you how it works. (As my granddaughter - 10 - said recently "I used to think babies were (edited out for privacy reasons xd.png) but now I know how it really works. I would rather it worked the way I used to think, but I do know now !")

I can remember when a programme was to be set up in my own daughters' school, and one mother in particular just kept saying all we need to do is tell them not to do it. She was not able to explain what "it" was, so how exactly that would work isn't clear to me. I did get her to say "well, intercourse" - and if they look that up in a dictionary, it won't help a huge lot. YES they can use the internet - which will tell them about how you can't get pregnant standing up, and how a cola censorkip.gif* will protect you and the rest... (How did THAT hit the kipz - that IS weird, but I hope you know what I mean... ???)

But in so many cases - leaving aside the religious fervour - which MUST not be just visited willy nilly on everyone - there is the sheer embarrassment so many adults feel when trying to explain this stuff. It's very sad.

Edited by fuzzbucket

there is the sheer embarrassment so many adults feel when trying to explain this stuff. It's very sad.

Yeah, I've never understood that. I was blunt with my boys. When they were tweens I asked them flat out if they knew what sex was or did I need to explain it. They both assured me they knew what sex was and what it entailed. I asked them if they knew the difference between unprotected and protected sex. They told me they knew what condoms were for. I asked them if they understood all the new responsibilities they were going to have to deal with..and deal they would.. should they get someone pregnant. Like child support. I let it be known that should they knock someone up, no matter their age, I'd grant written permission for them to go to work for as many hours as necessary to provide support for that child, on top of continuing with school, homework, and grades. If that meant they got 5 hours of sleep per night and slogged through it all in a daze from sheer exhaustion, oh well. I made it scary clear just what a load getting someone pregnant would really be and that they would be expected to step up should they blunder for whatever reason. We had a long, blunt, honest talk about this subject...as we do with almost any subject. I wanted them to fully understand sex and, most importantly, the consequences.

My boys are in their 20's now and have never, thank God, gotten anyone pregnant.

If more people were willing to talk openly life would be a lot less confusing, imo.

Since we're in the abortion thread, I honestly feel personally that every person considering a late term abortion be made to watch one. We're all about being real about abortion, right? That's about as real as it gets. I'm totally against late term abortions. I have no respect for women that have them, unless their demise is a distinct possibility in the very near future if they carry on with the pregnancy.

Yeah, all women should have a choice. That doesn't mean I have to support every one of them and call it good.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Omega, most of the time we seem to be on the same page, but not now. Let's not glamorize teen pregnancy in any way, shape or form. These teen moms, 9 times out of 10, aren't living in their own houses with the knights in shining armor they LOVE so much, supporting themselves and living the American dream with their little happy, picture perfect families. Most of these teen moms, and their babies, are being supported financially, and in every other way, by their parents and are living in their homes. I've listened to quite a few of these teen moms on various documentaries, I've done reading about the issue, and yeah, quite a few of these girls DO bear the burden of their babies, and take responsibility, but they don't seem too 'glad' about it. Most of what I'm getting is that they had no freaking clue what kind of hell their lives were going to become and WHO KNEW this red, squalling, shrieking bundle they were convinced would be so cute would turn out to be such a little devil spawn?

Kudos to teen moms who take on this responsibility, but let's not ever say it's a smart move. They HAVE compromised their futures to a certain extent and that's a statistical fact. Sure, success is a possibility for teen moms, of course it is. But they better know and accept that it's going to be an uphill battle every single step of the way if they have a baby in the mix.

Any kid that has a kid, who's still living at home with mom and dad in a sheltered, safe and secure bubble, has no damn concept of what having a future..or not..really means, has no concept of what REALITY really means, and isn't qualified to judge squat.

Edited by MedievalMystic

There can be hundred of reasons that make a woman opt for abortion, no one can really judge this kind of decision, that will be with said woman for the rest of her life.

I don't see the need to tell someone how they have killed a human being because I am sure that no one take this kind of decision lightly, and try to shame someone is only childish IMHO.

Sex Ed should be done in a better way for sure and parents should be open to talk "The Talk" when it's time, and not only hope someone else have already explained it all...because usually that kind of explanations given by somebody else (be it school, older friends, magazines or ugh television) don't really help.

Omega, most of the time we seem to be on the same page, but not now.  Let's not glamorize teen pregnancy in any way, shape or form.  These teen moms, 9 times out of 10, aren't living in their own houses with the knights in shining armor they LOVE so much, supporting themselves and living the American dream with their little happy, picture perfect families.  Most of these teen moms, and their babies,  are being supported financially, and in every other way,  by their parents and are living in their homes. I've listened to quite a few of these teen moms on various documentaries, I've done reading about the issue, and yeah, quite a few of these girls DO bear the burden of their babies, and take responsibility,  but they don't seem too 'glad' about it.  Most of what I'm getting is that they had no freaking clue what kind of hell their lives were going to become and WHO KNEW this red, squalling, shrieking bundle they were convinced would be so cute would turn out to be such a little devil spawn?

Kudos to teen moms who take on this responsibility, but let's not ever say it's a smart move.  They HAVE compromised their futures to a certain extent and that's a statistical fact.  Sure, success is a possibility for teen moms, of course it is.  But they better know and accept that it's going to be an uphill battle every single step of the way if they have a baby in the mix.

Any kid that has a kid, who's still living at home with mom and dad in a sheltered, safe and secure bubble,  has no damn concept of what having a future..or not..really means, has no concept of what REALITY really means,  and isn't qualified to judge squat.

I'm not in any way, shape, or form glamorizing teen mothers, simply stating that there are outliers to the 'teens are terrible mothers' stigma and that not all should be painted with the same brush.

Ideally, a teenager shouldn't be in the situation to have to choose in the first place, when there's so many ways to prevent pregnancy.

Edited by Omega Entity

Since we're in the abortion thread, I honestly feel personally that every person considering a late term abortion be made to watch one. We're all about being real about abortion, right? That's about as real as it gets. I'm totally against late term abortions. I have no respect for women that have them, unless their demise is a distinct possibility in the very near future if they carry on with the pregnancy.

Yeah, all women should have a choice. That doesn't mean I have to support every one of them and call it good.

ACTUALLY - the health of the baby is also a valid reason for late abortions. Anencephalic babies should be aborted, and that may sometimes not show up till well late. They have NO HOPE of life, and continuing the pregnancy does no-one any favours. The parents just have to watch their baby die soon after it's born.

Also a number of other ghastly conditions I would allow late abortions for, if they are discovered very late. It can happen. I have no patience with "keep them alive; they will have a life and be loved" - when that life will be full of pain, suffering and the rest.

ACTUALLY - the health of the baby is also a valid reason for late abortions. Anencephalic babies should be aborted, and that may sometimes not show up till well late. They have NO HOPE of life, and continuing the pregnancy does no-one any favours. The parents just have to watch their baby die soon after it's born.

Also a number of other ghastly conditions I would allow late abortions for, if they are discovered very late. It can happen. I have no patience with "keep them alive; they will have a life and be loved" - when that life will be full of pain, suffering and the rest.

In cases like that it's more understandable, Fuzz. I wouldn't want to have a child that was just a vegetable and had absolutely no chance for any kind of normal life either. I get it. I was talking about situations where there is nothing wrong at all with mother or baby and the women just decides, at 6 months, that it's time to abort.

I'm pretty sure that the two most common reasons for late term abortions are health of the pregnant person or a previously undetectable birth defect in the fetus. In either of these cases, it is just plain CRUEL to force them to watch an abortion and otherwise try to traumatize them out of an abortion. These are usually very much wanted pregnancies that are devastating to lose-but there's no other viable choice.

Other than that, a lot of restrictions in the US (where I live, so I don't know much about other places) make it hard for people in certain areas or people who don't have enough money to get an early abortion-they have to wait to save funds and/or travel, and so end up pushing it later than they really want. If you want fewer late term abortions, make early term abortions easier to access.

The people who just decide to get a late term abortion for no concrete reason are vanishingly rare. While I agree that it's not really a great thing, I think any restrictions placed on them will do more harm to the people who need them for health reasons than it will prevent unnecessary ones.

I was talking about situations where there is nothing wrong at all with mother or baby and the woman just decides, at 6 months, that it's time to abort.

To be fair, that happens extremely rarely - if for no other reason then because most would not go through six entire months or more of pregnancy and everything that may or may not come with it before suddenly deciding that they don't want to go through.

There typically are severe reasons for third-trimester abortions.

Other than that, a lot of restrictions in the US (where I live, so I don't know much about other places) make it hard for people in certain areas or people who don't have enough money to get an early abortion-they have to wait to save funds and/or travel, and so end up pushing it later than they really want. If you want fewer late term abortions, make early term abortions easier to access.
This, regrettably, also being one... Edited by Shienvien

I understand that there are always a few exceptions and I'm not damning anyone for those choices. I was talking about a specific concept I personally disliked, no more than that.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Has that ever actually happened, though? Or is that just the hypothetical situation? I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually doing that. I could be wrong though o:

Has that ever actually happened, though? Or is that just the hypothetical situation? I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually doing that. I could be wrong though o:

Has what actually happened ? Very late abortion ? Yes. But VANISHINGLY rarely. Google says about 1% after 21 weeks in the US.

Here's one that was done at 29 weeks for severe brain problems discovered on a scan.

Molly Ivins makes the case brilliantly.