Bear

Abortion

I think they mean father of the child, not the mother's father. xd.png But still, what you say is true, there are parents who refuse to allow their children to get abortions and it's horrible.

I don't know what THEY meant - but there WAS a case in the press where a father got his under-age daughter pregnant and then prevented her getting an abortion.... No time to look for a source just now, but I remember it well as I was so horrified that the officials all over did nothing in a case of incest with a 14 y/o child mad.gif

And the education MOST needed is basic sex and relatipnship ed in school from a very early age - which with any luck (it works in many European countries with an enlightened attitude to these things) cuts the rate of unwanted pregnancies dramatically - especially among young people..

And what if the woman doesn't know who the father is? What if she's sleeping with multiple men, or drank a lot and had memory loss and couldn't remember who she had sex with? Or what if it was a one-night-stand and she couldn't find the father? Then she can't get an abortion.

Then they'll whip out the "She shouldn't have been a stupid censorkip.gif" card. Like they always do..

Edited for censor evasion.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Then they'll whip out the "She shouldn't have been a stupid censorkip.gif*" card. Like they always do..

Indeed. EVERY pregnant woman is a censorkip.gif - unless she is their wife.

Edited for censor evasion.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Abortion is a pretty touchy subject, but I'll have to say I agree with it being legalised. Where I live, it's illegal for women to have them (unless it endangers their life or they were raped), which I find absurd. Women should be allowed to do what they want with their body without some law interfering.

For the most part, I feel abortion should be legal. If it was made illegal it wouldn't stop abortions from taking place, if anything it would cause other more dangerous forms of abortion to become more common. However I have a huge problem when for instance, a couple consciously has unprotected sex knowing the possible consequences and then decide to abort the fetus. This especially goes for areas that have easily accessible sexual education.

For the most part, I feel abortion should be legal. If it was made illegal it wouldn't stop abortions from taking place, if anything it would cause other more dangerous forms of abortion to become more common. However I have a huge problem when for instance, a couple consciously has unprotected sex knowing the possible consequences and then decide to abort the fetus. This especially goes for areas that have easily accessible sexual education.

...have you seen the price of abortions, it's not cheap. This "uses abortion as birth control" is a myth that should be abolished.

...have you seen the price of abortions, it's not cheap. This "uses abortion as birth control" is a myth that should be abolished.

I'm not saying that a large amount of people do it, but I've had a personal experience where this exact scenario occurred. As I said before, it greatly bothers me, but I never said or implied that this is a cause for most abortions.

Free in the UK. So there are a few (small percentage) that do use it as method of birth control.

Free in the UK. So there are a few (small percentage) that do use it as method of birth control.

Even if there are, who cares? Seriously. It's their fault if their body starts suffering from the constant use of abortions (Not like childbirth does any worse *cough*). Their life, their discussions. I'm not losing any sleep at night knowing that there are people who use it as a BC method.

Just throwing this out there:

Making abortion clinics illegal and hard to find doesn't stop abortions from happening. It just stops safe abortions.

Making abortion clinics illegal and hard to find doesn't stop abortions from happening. It just stops safe abortions.

I second this. Besides, what women do with their own bodies should be up to them as long as it's not harmful.

I second this. Besides, what women do with their own bodies should be up to them as long as it's not harmful.

I think as long as it only harms THEM, that too is their choice.

I think as long as it only harms THEM, that too is their choice.

Right.

What I meant, I guess, was that only harmful actions should be prevented, even though, yes, their actions, no matter what they may be, are up to them.

Exactly. Look up information from the 1970s and earlier. Back alley abortions were a reality.

Pop culture reference, Dirty Dancing. Remember the dancer Baby was standing in for? The suave guy who looked like he was from money, "got her in trouble."

First off, I am a Christian. That being said I am also pro-life. However if you get an abortion it is completely up to you. No one should be able to control your actions or make your choices for you. Do I think that abortion is ok? NO! But you need to make your own choices. Forgive me it offends you that I bring God into this, I know that you may not believe as I do. See, I believe that God gave man choice when he created the world. I also believe that we will be accountable to him for the choices we have made. Abortion is one of those choices. I also know that Christians have a very bad reputation for being judgmental, ignorant liars. This troubles me, but a true Christian knows that the second greatest command in the Bible is to love other people as much as you love yourself. I know that Christians have spread false stories about abortion as well as other things. Unfortunately, not every "Christian" is who they claim to be and some of these people are good but they do not realize that spreading these rumors actually makes Christianity more repugnant than ever. My point is: Christians are not perfect and not everyone who claims to be a Christian is one, and while I believe that abortion is wrong I also believe in God-given choice. Also the overpopulation thing is kind of a myth because, while China and other countries may be overpopulated, Europe's population is decreasing, the United States's population is only staying level because of immigrants, and, from what I hear, Canada still has plenty of room. So, yes, some countries are overpopulated, but the world is practically empty. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me a question, but please be polite and note that not every Christian may feel the same way that I do.

First off, I am a Christian. That being said I am also pro-life. However if you get an abortion it is completely up to you. No one should be able to control your actions or make your choices for you. Do I think that abortion is ok? NO! But you need to make your own choices.

This sounds like pro-choice to me? o_O

^This. FourWinds, you're describing yourself as someone who is pro-choice. Not considering that option for yourself, but encouraging women in general to make the decision that's best for them - regardless of what that choice may be - is exactly what being pro-choice is about :-)

First off, I am a Christian. That being said I am also pro-life. However if you get an abortion it is completely up to you. No one should be able to control your actions or make your choices for you. Do I think that abortion is ok? NO! But you need to make your own choices. Forgive me it offends you that I bring God into this, I know that you may not believe as I do. See, I believe that God gave man choice when he created the world. I also believe that we will be accountable to him for the choices we have made. Abortion is one of those choices. I also know that Christians have a very bad reputation for being judgmental, ignorant liars. This troubles me, but a true Christian knows that the second greatest command in the Bible is to love other people as much as you love yourself. I know that Christians have spread false stories about abortion as well as other things. Unfortunately, not every "Christian" is who they claim to be and some of these people are good but they do not realize that spreading these rumors actually makes Christianity more repugnant than ever. My point is: Christians are not perfect and not everyone who claims to be a Christian is one, and while I believe that abortion is wrong I also believe in God-given choice. Also the overpopulation thing is kind of a myth because, while China and other countries may be overpopulated, Europe's population is decreasing, the United States's population is only staying level because of immigrants, and, from what I hear, Canada still has plenty of room. So, yes, some countries are overpopulated, but the world is practically empty. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask me a question, but please be polite and note that not every Christian may feel the same way that I do.

I think you need to look up what a (real) pro-lifer is. They don't think it's okay and will do everything to try and change the woman's mind in having one. HOWEVER they will not overstep boundaries if she decides.

Pro-birthers however are just...

That is a very mature outlook, FourWinds.

Sock and Omega, I think what they mean is that they themselves are pro-life, as in they'd never abort a baby themselves, but they don't identify with the pro-life movement.

Edited by High Lord November

I have always been pro-choice. I am currently pregnant with a planned and wanted child - and the first 13 weeks have been hell. I'm throwing up regularly, exhausted all the time, and even with good insurance, the doctor's visits are not cheap.

Being pregnant has only confirmed my beliefs of pro-choice. I can't imagine telling a woman she has to go through this torture for a child she doesn't want, or telling her to go through this torture for a child she will give up for adoption. Nor can I imagine telling a woman she has to go to all these doctor's visits that she may not be able to afford.

Hell, the amount of food I do eat (and subsequently throw up) costs me a lot of money.

Furthermore, I think it is significantly less fair to force a baby to be born into A) a family that doesn't want it - could lead to neglect, abuse, etc. cool.gif a family that can't take care of it - leads to very poor quality of life - particularly when we as a country in the USA work to make sure less people get welfare or C) putting the child into the foster system. If the baby doesn't get adopted, it becomes a toddler. And then a kid. People don't adopt older kids.

And lastly, I don't begrudge anyone their feelings on the matter as long as they don't try to get laws changed to make safe and legal abortions illegal. Making abortions legal does not mean anyone has to get an abortion.

Sock and Omega, I think what they mean is that they themselves are pro-life, as in they'd never abort a baby themselves, but they don't identify with the pro-life movement.

If she supports women being able to make the choice that is best for them, regardless of her personal beliefs, she is pro-choice, not pro-life.

If she supports women being able to make the choice that is best for them, regardless of her personal beliefs, she is pro-choice, not pro-life.

Unfortunately the terms have become very emotionally and politically loaded.

In my opinion women should have the choice whether or not to abort. Just the pregnant woman. No one else. That being said men should have the choice of legally signing his rights away. He would no longer be considered the child's father and cannot be sued for child support. They both get to choose their future.

Edited by SarcasticGit

I once commented here a few years back, blindly following a pro-life path...however I've changed my view.

I am 100% pro-choice. I recently got into an argument on Facebook on whether or not abortion is murder. Most of the arguments against me were "well they're idiots for having sex anyway!" no mention of things like birth control failing and sexual assault.

However, even if it is the woman's fault for not using some sort of birth control or contraception, I still don't think society should force them into motherhood when they're not ready to have a baby or don't want any kids at all, or even if they're not physically or mentally fit for becoming a mother in the first place. A woman has a right to her body, and an unborn, non-sentient fetus does not.

I once commented here a few years back, blindly following a pro-life path...however I've changed my view.

I am 100% pro-choice. I recently got into an argument on Facebook on whether or not abortion is murder. Most of the arguments against me were "well they're idiots for having sex anyway!" no mention of things like birth control failing and sexual assault.

However, even if it is the woman's fault for not using some sort of birth control or contraception, I still don't think society should force them into motherhood when they're not ready to have a baby or don't want any kids at all, or even if they're not physically or mentally fit for becoming a mother in the first place. A woman has a right to her body, and an unborn, non-sentient fetus does not.

Not to mention forcing an unwanted child to be born.