Bear

Abortion

I'm not trying to undermine the father's emotions or anything. I believe that if ONE of the parents does not want the child, they shouldn't have a child OR the one who wants the child needs to move on and the father shouldn't have to do anything.

BUT it's still not fair to the other party if they're LEFT WITH the child- basically ABANDONED, not a situation where one moves on because they just don't want a child at all and the couple comes to an agreement. Don't forget sometimes the mother/uterus-bearer will dump the child on the other person.

Men can be emotionally hurt by abortion just as easily as women.

The difference is physical damage and stress: Women have to deal with actually having the baby. It's her body, and I say she should do with it what she feels is best. If she does not want to have the baby, it is her choice. It's great to take the father's feelings into consideration, but she's having the operation and she's at risk, so I think it's her choice.

Emotional repercussions are, I feel, unavoidable no matter what happens and not limited to either men or women. It is only the physical matters I take into account here, as I feel the emotions are in fact equal (not in all cases, of course, but in a generalized manner I don't place any one sex's emotions above another's in terms of validity, no matter what's being addressed)--however, physical consequences when it comes to childbirth are absolutely not equal. Women endure more than men in childbirth. She is the one who is at risk of dying (both in childbirth and during the abortion procedure), she is the one who may breastfeed the child, and she's going to have a hellish nine months if she wants a kid. If she doesn't think it's worth it, then that's okay.

I think it's morally right to take the father's feelings into serious consideration, but I also think that, in the end, the woman should make the final decision.

As a pro-choice supporter, I do believe it must be a choice, and abortion that is pressured or forced upon someone is not okay.

I don't think abortion is morally wrong, though it is a grey area and I don't think I could ever go through with one and come out emotionally undamaged. I see massive logical value in it, but this is difficult for me to apply when compared to the emotional consequences--and I daresay all those pregnancy hormones would make the decision all the more difficult!

On the subject of teen pregnancy: I think teen sex is fine as long as it's consensual and safe or a child is planned. I don't think making a family is a wise goal when you're a teenager, but some teens actually can make great parents; I don't think it's fair to prevent all teens from having kids just because a few would turn out exceptionally bad.

In short, abortion is a choice, and should be treated like one. I believe the choice lies in the hands of the woman, and would support her decision no matter what it was--though I'd be must much enthusiastic in my support if she took into consideration the thoughts and feelings of those others who would be affected by the decision.

Moreso: A male *does* use condom while having sex, but it breaks, resulting in pregnancy. And possibly furthermore has been eating pills that are supposed to make sperm unviable (if such exist/existed)

Interestingly enough, there ARE pills that do this in other countries but are still in "testing", though they need to HURRY IT UP! So far, it looks perfect.

There's also reversible, affordable injections of a solution (soluble by a basic liquid) that blocks sperm production that's available elsewhere but is in 'testing' here, that could be a boon to those who don't want kids.

There's also reversible, affordable injections of a solution (soluble by a basic liquid) that blocks sperm production that's available elsewhere but is in 'testing' here, that could be a boon to those who don't want kids.

Yesss!!! When I learned about this one I was like "I don't care that I don't have testes, shut up and take my money!"

ab613: Yes exactly all of that. I think it's good to consider everyone involved but even if the father says no the uterus-bearer should not be forced to have or not have an abortion. However if the other one involved truly doesn't want the child, we really need a better system for working out what happens. Right now it's a mess. (most things are a mess, to be fair)

Emotional repercussions are, I feel, unavoidable no matter what happens and not limited to either men or women.
Pregnancy itself does affect emotions in a very physical way, though - it affects the release of hormones, many of which directly affect emotional state. Plenty of the emotional changes, for pregnant females, are therefore the result of their body just dumping a ridiculous amount of psychoactive chemicals into their bloodstream. And the outcome can be anything from ecstasy to full-blown panic attacks to complete and utter apathy at everything and everyone.

Interestingly enough, there ARE pills that do this in other countries but are still in "testing", though they need to HURRY IT UP! So far, it looks perfect.
Have seen it mentioned in articles, but as far as I know, it isn't actually something you can buy off a pharmacy anywhere?

I know men are affected by abortion too.

I DO believe a woman has the right to choose, though, as it is she who has that 9 months of pregnancy ahead of her, and the potential for loss of job opportunities, education and so on.

BUT - I am NOT OK with the idea that men who have contributed to a pregnancy - even via condom failure - should have the absolute right to walk if they don't want the baby. Two people "share a blanket" (a wonderful expression I just picked up... xd.png) - they are EQUALLY responsible for what happens, unless it can be proved that one was deliberately manipulative (as in pricks the condom; substitutes aspirin for the woman's BCP; tells the man she is on the pill when she isn't.)

It took two to start that pregnancy, and the woman should not always be the one who has to bring up the child with no financial help from the equally responsible man.

It took two to start that pregnancy, and the woman should not always be the one who has to bring up the child with no financial help from the equally responsible man.

For the matter, why shouldn't the female have the right of legally disowning the child if the male wants to raise it, but the female doesn't want to actually take care of the child past giving birth? (In which case, the documents would also be stating that he cannot reconsider at later date, and that the female would have no post-birth bindings to the child whatsoever.)

- Note that this assumes the female is fully and completely voluntarily consenting to the pregnancy itself.

(Probably have been moving away from abortion and into parenting/associated for a while now...)

For the matter, why shouldn't the female have the right of legally disowning the child if the male wants to raise it, but the female doesn't want to actually take care of the child past giving birth? (In which case, the documents would also be stating that he cannot reconsider at later date, and that the female would have no post-birth bindings to the child whatsoever.)

- Note that this assumes the female is fully and completely voluntarily consenting to the pregnancy itself.

(Probably have been moving away from abortion and into parenting/associated for a while now...)

I believe she does - in the UK anyway.

Bringing the topic back to abortion, the anti-abortion group showed up again with posters with false pictures of abortions, telling people its evil etc.

Apparently they had to add warnings that their signs were graphic, which lead to them making signs that said 'Warning pictures of victims of abortions ahead'.

Please excuse me for the rant but:

I am censorkip.gif tired of these phoney no good 'christians' coming onto campus and telling lies, and the worst part is they believe it, and won't listen to reason. I can't stand how the school can allow these phonies to put up these displays and then won't even let a planned parenthood poster (despite the other anti-abortion posters year around) onto campus.

Its a public place, its not private property. Its a school (it is a college but still) if they want to give out pamplets fine but don't have giant pictures that are meant to be distrubing out where you can shame any woman who has had an abortion or is considering it.

Rant over but to clarify, I do believe in the christian message and the bible, but telling people everyone sins, repent, and oh by the way its a sin to abort for any reason just makes me sick. I just wish I knew where the love went.

Also I have no idea about how to complain about the pictures their using and the school sight has been unhelpful <.< if anyone has any ideas my ears are open to suggestions.

Bringing the topic back to abortion, the anti-abortion group showed up again with posters with false pictures of abortions, telling people its evil etc.

Apparently they had to add warnings that their signs were graphic, which lead to them making signs that said 'Warning pictures of victims of abortions ahead'.

Please excuse me for the rant but:

I am censorkip.gif tired of these phoney no good 'christians' coming onto campus and telling lies, and the worst part is they believe it, and won't listen to reason. I can't stand how the school can allow these phonies to put up these displays and then won't even let a planned parenthood poster (despite the other anti-abortion posters year around) onto campus.

Its a public place, its not private property. Its a school (it is a college but still) if they want to give out pamplets fine but don't have giant pictures that are meant to be distrubing out where you can shame any woman who has had an abortion or is considering it.

Rant over but to clarify, I do believe in the christian message and the bible, but telling people everyone sins, repent, and oh by the way its a sin to abort for any reason just makes me sick. I just wish I knew where the love went.

Also I have no idea about how to complain about the pictures their using and the school sight has been unhelpful <.< if anyone has any ideas my ears are open to suggestions.

I'm right there with you. Shame on them. There's a vid somewhere of a woman (who was a REAL pro-lifer) confronting one of those monsters with the inappropriate posters and went off on them at how disgusting it was to speak out it that manor. She had a young child with her and she used him as an example, saying that kids don't need to see those sick posters and to take their b.s somewhere else.

I'm right there with you. Shame on them. There's a vid somewhere of a woman (who was a REAL pro-lifer) confronting one of those monsters with the inappropriate posters and went off on them at how disgusting it was to speak out it that manor. She had a young child with her and she used him as an example, saying that kids don't need to see those sick posters and to take their b.s somewhere else.

One person at one of the clubs I attend shared that she sent a letter of concern to the dean, and found out that the group is for profit and has been asking for donations.

I doubt anything will come of it.

Well I'm staying out of Ohio now..and if this actually does what they intend...the country..if there is any place that has less problems about abortion than the U.S. Ohio pretty much gives rise to overturn Roe v Wade

Oh dear god. As early as six weeks. That wouldn't be hard for the republicans if that strategy is combined with the fake clinics that push the abortion later and later until it's too late.

Not to mention that some girls wait over four weeks until they realize something's wrong when they miss a cycle.

If I was living there, I'd pack up and leave. No doubts about that.

ACTUALLY, I would be TOTALLY in favor of some kind of BC pill for the dudes, too.

ACTUALLY, I would be TOTALLY in favor of some kind of BC pill for the dudes, too.

Who wouldn't be? It's infinitely safer to fire blanks than it is to rely on bullet-proof vests.

Who wouldn't be? It's infinitely safer to fire blanks than it is to rely on bullet-proof vests.

No kidding.

I wonder why the idea hasn't had anything done with it before now?

ASSUMING that it would work something like female BC and that it wasn't effective once the man stopped taking it if the couple decided, some point down the road, that they DID want a child.

Edited by Silverswift

Many have said it's because men - who fund most of the research - are happy to mess with women's hormones but don't want to take any risks with their manhood or indeed reduce it in ANY way! They want to be totally potent at all times...

I feel like I only post negative things here at this point. So, without further adieu, Missori: This GOP Lawmaker Wants Women to Get Permission From the Father Before Having an Abortion

I know a few fathers in my area that wouldn't give that permission even if it meant their own daughters would be miserable as a result of it, just to have grandchildren.

Luckily, my father isn't like that.

...and I'm also a dude, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

But on a serious note, a woman should have every right to make her own decisions for what is to be done with her body. A gestation's termination included. The only requirement that I would mandate is proper education as to what exactly an abortion is, what the health risks of having one are, and perhaps a visit to a third party that could negotiate things with the parent(s) to see if there really is no alternative, prior to having one.

Edited by Brotato

The only requirement that I would mandate is proper education as to what exactly an abortion is, what the health risks of having one are, and perhaps a visit to a third party that could negotiate things with the parent(s) to see if there really is no alternative, prior to having one.

The right we should have is access to is an organization that will lay out all of the possible options available to us and the possible consequences to such actions as unbiased as possible, and will let us decide what we want to do ourselves while reserving all judgement. None of this "last chance" or "only if it's your only option" business.

So, including describing what abortion is, you would need to describe what pregnancy is, risks associated with pregnancy specifically to you (age can make a pretty big difference IIRC), as well as particular habits associated with pregnancy that is recommended to follow (substances to ingest etc.), what birth is, what risks are associated with birth, the costs of giving up a child for adoption, and what parenting is. Not just mandatory education on what abortion is, health risks associated with just abortions, and making sure it's their only option.

Edited by High Lord November

-snip-

I think they mean father of the child, not the mother's father. XD But still, what you say is true, there are parents who refuse to allow their children to get abortions and it's horrible.

Now whilst I am a conservative I believe fully in pro-choice. Women should be allowed to do whatever they wish with their body including abortion. I despise how it is male government employees who get to discern laws for women instead of women (and the general population of women at that) getting to decide for themselves. That logic then should mean that women should get to choose laws for males bodies also.

And honestly I do not believe that women shoudl be forced into having a fetus grow in them for nine months just to send it away to an orphanage where no one really will be adopted. Abortion is the better choice in my opinion.

Edited by Condorflight

I feel like I only post negative things here at this point. So, without further adieu, Missori: This GOP Lawmaker Wants Women to Get Permission From the Father Before Having an Abortion

That is awful. I can see it being used for revenge. Girl breaks up with a guy, finds out she's pregnant, then pissed off ex gets to decide whether or not to ruin her life. It's not like this law forces him to support the child or be in its life once it's born, it just forces the mother to give birth to it. Then he can be out of the picture if he feels like it.

Or the abusive spouse that forces the woman to have his child as another means of controlling her to stop her from leaving him.

And what if the woman doesn't know who the father is? What if she's sleeping with multiple men, or drank a lot and had memory loss and couldn't remember who she had sex with? Or what if it was a one-night-stand and she couldn't find the father? Then she can't get an abortion. I have (horrible) friends that don't give out their real names when they sleep with women they picked up at bars in case she gets pregnant. With a law like that, those women would be forced to have the baby because they couldn't get permission from the unknown father.

No one should have that much right over your body or your life.