Bear

Abortion

I honestly do support abortions, especially if the baby (or mother) wouldn't survive childbirth. But I really don't understand why so many people hate babies. You people used to be one too...

We didn't have to live with ourselves while we were babies. (not that I do hate babies - just saying !)

I honestly do support abortions, especially if the baby (or mother) wouldn't survive childbirth. But I really don't understand why so many people hate babies. You people used to be one too...

...Your point is? Just because I was a child/infant than doesn't mean I have to like..or even tolerate them (or rather, other peoples)

I think everybody who has not been pregnant (as a wish) or has a child (as a wish) can not have a real opinion

Means those people can't even have a real opinion as they have no idea what it means to carry life within them

I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't misreading these, but nope. That anyone would advocate silencing of a huge chunk of the population on such a critical issue is really bizarre and scary. Anti-choicers, the coercive tactics they use, and the propaganda and ignorance they spread have negative implications for human rights that affect every single person, not just those that have been pregnant, and it is actively causing harm to people every single day. The terrible consequences of denying access to abortion is constantly in the news. There has been so much data posted in this thread which provide facts, not opinions, about all of this and more. And hell, if you're going to take the "you can't have an opinion till you've been there" stance, wouldn't it be more accurate to say only people that have actually gotten abortions should be allowed to speak about it?

This is a bit like saying that you can't have an informed opinion on the death penalty unless you've been on death row, put someone on death row, or have executed someone. It makes no sense.

It is easy to throw a life away, the quickest solution but if you have ever had a baby in your arms then you could never abort one.

I take it that means you have no personal experience with wanting/getting an abortion after having children then. But it does happen, I've met women that have done it. Still, you haven't experienced it yourself. So based on your previous statements, shouldn't you not be allowed to have an opinion on their choices since you haven't experienced their situation?

But I really don't understand why so many people hate babies. You people used to be one too...

Well I still hate myself now, so at least I'm consistent. wink.gif But in all seriousness (though I wasn't joking about my self-loathing) I don't think very many people literally hate babies. It's more like some people find them offputting, shrill, not cute, exhausting, demanding, impossible to engage with or understand, gross, a little creepy, and generally don't get the appeal of having one or being around one. I think the "hatred" part of it is just a convenient word to throw out there to quickly communicate the depth of one's discomfort and dislike of all that stuff. There are some who do mean it literally though, and those are the people that kind of frighten me...

I had a family member who was forced to have an abortion, it messed her up mentally and she still suffers.

I don't believe in abortion, every child does deserve a chance at life. I am 22 and don't have a child of my own, I have raised one of my cousins since he was 3 years old and his biological mother wanted to abort him. He is 14 and is a very smart kid, grateful to be alive. He tells me I was a better mother than my aunt, who adopted him after he was abandoned, and showed more love.

I don't want to cause an argument, I know everyone has different thoughts about this. I am simply stating my own here.

Though I do say that having a child of my own now would be a mistake. I, too, have a temper similar to Starscream. I hope to calm it before I have children, if I can't then I won't have a child. I agree they can be disgusting, but only when they are bratty and the parents fail to discipline them. I hate kids who think we are obligated to serve their whims. The parents who don't wish to care for them and teach them should not have had them.

I know it can be hard to care for kids, I wasn't easy, but some patents just don't care and some kids refuse to care or learn to care. I also dislike parents who outright abuse children, or kill them simply because they don't want to deal with them anymore. Well that kinda came with the package!

Edited by ElementalMistressLuna

I had a family member who was forced to have an abortion, it messed her up mentally and she still suffers.

I don't believe in abortion, every child does deserve a chance at life. I am 22 and don't have a child of my own, I have raised one of my cousins since he was 3 years old and his biological mother wanted to abort him. He is 14 and is a very smart kid, grateful to be alive. He tells me I was a better mother than my aunt, who adopted him after he was abandoned, and showed more love.

I don't want to cause an argument, I know everyone has different thoughts about this. I am simply stating my own here.

What you are missing here is that an embryo is not a child.

I am happy you are mothering that child - but things don't work out that well, or as easily, for everyone. Being forced to have an abortion is hardly the same thing as choosing to have one because it is the best option for YOU. Being forced into one is as wrong as trying to force a woman not to.

Means those people can't even have a real opinion as they have no idea what it means to carry life within them

Excuse me? That's why I do *research* to KNOW what I would be up against and getting testimonies from people who HAVE had the experience- and I don't want it!! I DON'T want to be pregnant. I DON'T want a baby. At least not yet, and not for several more years will I decide if I do or not. I am in no position to even dream of having a child. I still live with parents. I still don't have a car. I don't have a stable income. I'm still in college. While I am two years into a relationship, my boyfriend and I haven't even lived together on our own yet and HE'S not even ready for a child even though he has a car and a job, but he still lives with parents and wants to continue going to school. Neither one of us is even emotionally or mentally ready for a child, and we're a far cry from financially ready. Children are EXPENSIVE.

I might not have the actual experience but WHY should I HAVE to before I can express an opinion???

I WANT to be pregnant when ready so that way the pregnancy and child, even if they are a nightmare during some parts, ARE overall something beautiful that I want and will cherish. But until I get to the point where I have my own home and am financially stable and hopefully still in a stable relationship, I'm going to get an abortion if contraception fails. I'm not even going to go through with pregnancy to put the child up for adoption because that system is a farce.

I am still waiting to hear about Tabitah's experience of pregnancy and how many children she has.

And you think that being forced to carry a pregnancy to term when you want an abortion is less traumatic? While I'm very sorry about what happened to your family member, the problem was more that their choice was taken away from them, not the fact that they had an abortion.

The thing with abortion is that the fetus isn't aware. It doesn't feel pain and it doesn't have a desire to live. As happy as I am to be alive, I wouldn't be sad or angry or hurt if I had been aborted-I just wouldn't have felt anything. If you're cousin had been aborted, you would never have known different; you can't compare a living person to a fetus.

Forcing anything on another person that way and taking away their agency is a disgusting violation. Pro-choice isn't only about supporting the choice of abortion, but also supporting the choice to be pregnant and give birth if that is what a person thinks is right for them. Your family member did not deserve what she went through. No one should be coerced or forced to do things with or to their body without consent.

I know it can be hard to care for kids, I wasn't easy, but some patents just don't care and some kids refuse to care or learn to care. I also dislike parents who outright abuse children, or kill them simply because they don't want to deal with them anymore. Well that kinda came with the package!

That's the problem, when that "package" isn't wanted in the first place the odds of that child being abused, neglected, or even killed skyrocket.

Bodily autonomy works both ways. I don't want to see anyone forced to go through pregnancy, but just as well I don't want to see anyone forced to go through abortion.

I am still waiting to hear about Tabitah's experience of pregnancy and how many children she has.

I'm a good friend of hers, I don't know much else, but I do know she has two kids. She hasn't been replying because it's kinda late now where she lives.

I'm not at all defending her, just wanted to (at least partially) answer this.

I'm not at all defending her, just wanted to (at least partially) answer this.

If you feel the need, ever, to defend someone, do it. Nobody in this thread has an obligation to answer anyone, period. If someone feels the need to step out of a conversation, then they step out and that's that.

I'm for a woman's right to abort. That being said, I also think women that have a half dozen abortions because they didn't bother to try and prevent a pregnancy and use abortion as a method of birth control are flat out scum. I really don't feel any need to elaborate. I think that about said it all.

What you are missing here is that an embryo is not a child.

What you're missing is that's a matter of opinion. I don't share your view. I feel no need to debate that further.

Edited by MedievalMystic

That being said, I also think women that have a half dozen abortions because they didn't bother to try and prevent a pregnancy and use abortion as a method of birth control are flat out scum. I really don't feel any need to elaborate. I think that about said it all.

Well, I think the problem is they don't *know* about contraception or how to use it correctly. I'm sure some simply don't believe in contraception and that REALLY bothers me. I am kind of bothered when someone knows about contraception and chooses not to use it and then goes to get an abortion several times over. Honestly I think that's just being flat-out dumb and ignorant, not to mention most likely way more expensive. Of course, I will NOT stop them and still believe if they want one they should get one, but I hope they get educated more on the matter to prevent them from needing an abortion in the future.

Really in general I'd like to see a much better sex ed program in the US. It's a proven way to lower teen pregnancy (and other pregnancy...) as well as abortion rates, though the abortions from those not know about contraception/not using it are considerably low.

Well, I think the problem is they don't *know* about contraception or how to use it correctly. I'm sure some simply don't believe in contraception and that REALLY bothers me. I am kind of bothered when someone knows about contraception and chooses not to use it and then goes to get an abortion several times over. Honestly I think that's just being flat-out dumb and ignorant, not to mention most likely way more expensive. Of course, I will NOT stop them and still believe if they want one they should get one, but I hope they get educated more on the matter to prevent them from needing an abortion in the future.

I will put out there, that there are some women (and men) who refuse to wears condoms because sex doesn't feel as good to them as when going bareback. I've heard of at least a few instances of that, anecdotal as they may be. In those cases, they know what they -should- be doing, but are failing to do so for poor reasons, imo.

Edited by Omega Entity

Well, I think the problem is they don't *know* about contraception or how to use it correctly.

I find that almost impossible to believe, especially in this world today with all the information anyone could ever want about everything on the net, right at someone's fingertips.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Condoms aren't the only contraceptive, after all. Even pills aren't. Though, to be fair I meant those that *can* have condoms and such but don't use them.

There are people who simply can't use a majority of the contraceptives and those they can are very expensive. D:

But like I said, I won't stop anyone. c: Everyone should feel free to get an abortion if needed. Hopefully more choices for contraception will be made more readily available for those who simply can't use/buy certain kinds.

(I did kind of forget about some people that do choose not to use certain kinds. Also if the condoms you're using interfere with feeling, you should probably try a different kind/brand! More times than not condoms either don't interfere or make it more pleasurable. If they don't, try some others.)

MM: You'd be surprised. :U

Edited by edwardelricfreak

In some places in the South, I'd certainly believe it.

Sure, if they're hillbillies, totally and completely isolated, living in a cabin in the mountains with no electricity, draw water from the river, hunt for their food and have never seen a grocery store, book or magazine, have never talked to anyone outside their family, don't go to school and don't know what 'internet' means. Then I could believe it. Then again, if that's the case, they won't know what 'abortion' and 'abortion clinic' means either.

I just personally think that in developed countries, the 'they don't know' argument doesn't fly. That's just my opinion though. *shrug* To each his own.

Edited by MedievalMystic

No, there are legitimately people who completely don't know, OR all they know are blatant lies and rumors about the contraceptives if they do know about them.

No, there are legitimately people who completely don't know, OR all they know are blatant lies and rumors about the contraceptives if they do know about them.

Where? Who are they? Are there any articles about them? I'd like to read up on these people myself.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I didn't know what a condom was until early last year. Of course I was actively trying not to learn anything about sex whatsoever, but still

In areas where 'abstinence only' sex ed is the norm, combined with parents unwilling to have proper discussions with their children about protection simply because they think that informing them will make them go out and do it? Yes, absolutely, there are people who don't know about contraceptives. That doesn't require living out in podunk BFE.

In areas where 'abstinence only' sex ed is the norm, combined with parents unwilling to have proper discussions with their children about protection simply because they think that informing them will make them go out and do it? Yes, absolutely, there are people who don't know about contraceptives. That doesn't require living out in podunk BFE.

So none of these areas have internet either? Or TV? Or anything? Kids just stay at home or in school, listening to the 'abstinence only' people and...that's it? They never go anywhere, talk to anyone else, see tv commercials, read books, magazines, etc, etc? That's amazing.

I honestly don't care if a woman wants to have a dozen abortions. That's her business. I don't believe a fetus is a baby, so why should it matter? If you want to waste your money on expensive surgery instead of using cheaper bc, go ahead.