Bear

Abortion

The law would allow abortions when prenatal anomalies would end with a stillbirth, but the law makes no exception for victims of rape and incest.

....This right here is just not okay. The ONLY exception is if it's a pregnancy that would result in a stillbirth.

Also lol at my boyfriend:

Remember, things that directly compromise your own ethical beliefs should only be illegal when they aren't specifically benefiting you!
Edited by edwardelricfreak

Freedom! Would you rather die or let a baby die? I want to live. Plus all the Catholics at my door with pro life stuff drives me even further away.

Freedom! Would you rather die or let a baby die? I want to live. Plus all the Catholics at my door with pro life stuff drives me even further away.

Except that "baby" isn't a baby.

To me, you aren't technically "alive" until you've taken your first breath and opened your eyes. You may have a heartbeat, but until you're breathing air you're just something inside a woman.

--Edit

Also, this is relevant to the subject;

user posted image
Edited by Tazzay

I wonder what will happen to the children/relatives of all the people who support this bill who end up with an unwanted pregnancy. I feel truly sorry for them.

Shame on Alabama's house. Really I remember when something like this was trying to be passed in Ohio. Can't remember if it passed or not, but there are so many things wrong with this it isn't funny >.< .

Honestly I think they'd pitch a fit, or try and send family members across state lines, but I think in many areas its illegal to attempt that (or at least there are laws about minors seeking abortions in other states.)

I wonder what will happen to the children/relatives of all the people who support this bill who end up with an unwanted pregnancy. I feel truly sorry for them.

They'll end up under "My abortion is the only moral abortion". Something like that.

Well, this may come off as a tad...cruel...but I think that if this is the case, I find it amusing...if not very funny to me. They supported a bill to ban abortion but now they need one. That of which, some will probably try to justify their abortion is the only "moral one" as ghost put it. So it basically would shove the supporters into the same shoes as someone else that these people incriminated.

Edited by BlightWyvern

This only motivates me more to move out of the US or into another state entirely that allows abortion smoothly. I'm not sure which is the best state for that though..

It's too bad we weren't able to take over our neighbors.

(I... HAVE... RETURNED!)

They won't... If they are truly pro life, then they will support the life of that child indefinitely. If not, they don't deserve to be called pro life.

I've heard stories about people who are pro-life, get an unwanted pregnancy, have an abortion, then go right back to picketing abortion clinics.

Yeah but seriously, what the heck? Going by their logic of "abortion is murder" that's like...saying that murder is wrong, but it's perfectly okay if they do it.

I've heard stories about people who are pro-life, get an unwanted pregnancy, have an abortion, then go right back to picketing abortion clinics.

Yeah but seriously, what the heck? Going by their logic of "abortion is murder" that's like...saying that murder is wrong, but it's perfectly okay if they do it.

Oh, but their abortion is the only moral abortion!

Yes, they're as sick as they come. And they don't deserve to be heard or taken seriously.

I can truthfully say that when I think of abortion, even as a young woman, I don't find it all that liberating of a concept. All I can feel there is a tremendous sense of 'There, but for the grace of God go I," if that makes sense. I could have very easily ended up as an abortion. See, I was born with a condition such that, had they known it before I was born, it would very likely have been suggested.

What I am saying, I guess, is that I am grateful that my mother didn't choose that option.

Edited by Silverswift

I can truthfully say that when I think of abortion, even as a young woman, I don't find it all that liberating of a concept. All I can feel there is a tremendous sense of 'There, but for the grace of God go I," if that makes sense. I could have very easily ended up as an abortion. See, I was born with a condition such that, had they known it before I was born, it would very likely have been suggested.

What I am saying, I guess, is that I am grateful that my mother didn't choose that option.

Not like you would even KNOW if you were aborted though.

Edited by BlightWyvern

(I... HAVE... RETURNED!)

They won't... If they are truly pro life, then they will support the life of that child indefinitely. If not, they don't deserve to be called pro life.

Except you run into situations like Fractional Pi Day and KageSora talked about. I knew a girl at my school who had an abortion who was known to be pro-life. Only reason it was known though was because of the fall out between her, her best friend, and her then boyfriend over it.

It happens, people really don't understand what it means to have the ability to have an abortion and how helpful it can be until it directly affects them.

@Silver_swift its good your mom had the choice on going through with her pregnancy. That's all the pro-choice side fights for.

Heck I don't agree with my mom's 'If I get pregnant I'll still carry it to term even if it kills me,' stance but I'll protect her right to make that choice. I'll also protect the right of a teenager who decides to have sex for what ever reason and becomes pregnant. A child should never be forced on anyone as a consequence to an action.

(I... HAVE... RETURNED!)

Yeah, too bad the majority of the pro-birth movement doesn't actually feel that way.

Or at least the majority of the very vocal segment of it.

Plenty of them change their tune when it's THEM or their loved ones that suddenly can't afford to give birth, then go right back to arguing that it's evil and should never be done.

Being "pro-life" doesn't change the fact that they may not be able to afford it financially or in other ways.

Not like you would even KNOW if you were aborted though.

That doesn't mean that, being aware that it could have, I can't be grateful that it didn't happen, does it? wink.gif

As for that, though, I DO hope that a teenager considering such a thing are provided with ALL the options and ALL the facts so as to be able to make a proper choice. That is... they aren't made to feel as if an abortion is their only option or are pressured into it by a boyfriend that doesn't want the responsibility or such. Those are two points that bother me.

That doesn't mean that, being aware that it could have,  I can't be grateful that it didn't happen, does it? wink.gif

As for that, though, I DO hope that a teenager considering such a thing are provided with ALL the options and ALL the facts so as to be able to make a proper choice. That is... they aren't made to feel as if an abortion is their only option or are pressured into it by a boyfriend that doesn't want the responsibility or such. Those are two points that bother me.

I have to say I'm a bit wary of anyone who immediately comes out with "I worry about the women who are pressured into abortions!". Obviously, this is a terrible and real thing that does happen, and my sympathy goes out to them. But overall, many more women are pressured into keeping the fetus than the other way around. And when you only talk about the people who are pressured one way, it doesn't come across as "I care and worry about the people who aren't allowed to make their own decisions", instead it feels much more like "I only worry if you're not being allowed to make the choice I agree with"

Also, not only would you never know if you had been aborted, it's entirely possible that some people might only be alive today BECAUSE of abortion. This is a very realistic situation that really isn't terribly uncommon: a young couple gets pregnant, but realizes that they are financially/emotionally/whatever unprepared to give birth, so she aborts. Later, she decides she is ready to care for a child, chooses to get pregnant and keep it. If she had had that first child, she may never have reached that point, and may never have decided to have the second child. Should they be as thankful for abortion as you are that your mom kept you (whether she chose to or not)?

I will admit, it is a hard topic to look at entirely objectively.

I have my own views and opinions on the matter and if they differ from other people's well, I hope that it can at least be respectfully. That said, I meant that if they choose it, it should really and truly be their choice. I have read of women that went through with an abortion only to regret it later. I am... not sure how common that is. Some people claim that abortion clinics are all too willing to convince a woman that it is her only option, since they get paid for it... again I am not sure how common that is. These are just some arguments I have heard, is all. I guess what I am saying is that the right to choose, if you want to think of it that way, comes with responsibility for making your choice a good one... for thinking it through. At the very least an abortion (like any medical procedure) has the possibility for complications. (Granted, so does giving birth.) It is a big decision, for sure, and shouldn't be taken lightly is what I meant, there.

Edited by Silverswift

I have read of women that went through with an abortion only to regret it later. I am.... not sure how common that is. Some people claim that abortion clinics are all too willing to convince a woman that it is her only option, since they get paid for it... again I am not sure how common that is.

I believe most of the time the ones that regret it are the ones who had people around them pressuring them to either keep or abort. They either regret the action when they abort because now the people around them are calling them murderers, or they regret it because they wanted to keep the child but were pressured to abort. I think it's usually the former, though. As stated earlier, I don't think pressure to get abortions happens as much.

I seriously doubt abortion clinics do that, at least the majority. Most are through Planned Parenthood, I believe, and they give the women all sorts of information. If they talk about abortion, it's only to reassure that the procedure is safe and to probably calm the woman, inform her about what happens, etc. Not that I've ever gone in myself, but I've seen some stuff about it. I don't think they tell the woman it's her only option unless either her life or the fetus's life (if it were to become stillborn or have lots of problems in general) would be in jeopardy.

I would be curious to hear everyone's take on something.

Should there be an 'age limit' of sorts for abortions? Say, for example, they shouldn't be allowed past a certain point in gestation barring unusual circumstances... like the situation the poster above mentioned where the continuing the pregnancy is found to be a threat to the mom's life... or should abortion be allowed for any reason right up until birth?

If there should be a cut-off, at what point should that be?

Edited by Silverswift

Somewhere around a third of all people getting an abortion had a partner who tampered with their birth control (and people in an abusive relationship who are denied an abortion are way less likely to leave an abusive relationship - children are an excellent way for abusers to trap a partner). So yeah, being pressured into an abortion is something that happens, but so is being pressured into giving birth, even as far as abusing someone into having a child.

Now this part is pure conjecture on my part, but I would hazard a guess that many of the people pressured into an abortion are children of pro-life parents. (And many young people in general. Shame we refuse to give them a good and comprehensive sex ed.)

And yes, some people surely regret getting an abortion - but then there are people who surely regret giving birth. And we rarely ever talk about what parents who give up their child for adoption feel ripped apart. If you're feeling up to it, look up Breaking the Silence on Shakesville and Her Bad Mother. Sometimes we can make a choice that's right for us but still wonder how it would have gone the other way. <3

Somewhere around a third of all people getting an abortion had a partner who tampered with their birth control (and people in an abusive relationship who are denied an abortion are way less likely to leave an abusive relationship - children are an excellent way for abusers to trap a partner). So yeah, being pressured into an abortion is something that happens, but so is being pressured into giving birth, even as far as abusing someone into having a child.

Now this part is pure conjecture on my part, but I would hazard a guess that many of the people pressured into an abortion are children of pro-life parents. (And many young people in general. Shame we refuse to give them a good and comprehensive sex ed.)

And yes, some people surely regret getting an abortion - but then there are people who surely regret giving birth. And we rarely ever talk about what parents who give up their child for adoption feel ripped apart. If you're feeling up to it, look up Breaking the Silence on Shakesville and Her Bad Mother. Sometimes we can make a choice that's right for us but still wonder how it would have gone the other way. <3

Why would someone tamper with their partner's birth control? That... doesn't make any sense at all to me.

As for the thing you mentioned I might just have to look it up.

Edited by Silverswift