Bear

Abortion

Well, it's a medical procedure. I saw around the curtain when my mom gave birth to my brother via C-Section. Seeing her whole abdomen cut open like that was really horrifying for me. So much red, even though I looked away quickly. And my brother was so unclean and red, that didn't help much either.

I found C-sections fascinating to watch - I got to see four kids delivered via three C-sections in one morning. Utterly amazing.

The babies all came out purple-blue, blotchy and covered in ick. Definitely not cute until they have 15min in the incubator getting washed up.

That's not my point, fuzzbucket. My point is that if you're opposed to any medical procedure because it may be bloody and/or gross, you're going to be opposed to an awful lot of medical procedures. I went with birth because it's directly "opposed" from abortion, where they were making their stance on.

Fair enough. Yours came across to me as anti-abortion too...! You know - BLOOD, UGH ! Sorry.

Fair enough. Yours came across to me as anti-abortion too...! You know - BLOOD, UGH ! Sorry.

I'm ultra-pro-choice.

I found C-sections fascinating to watch - I got to see four kids delivered via three C-sections in one morning. Utterly amazing.

The babies all came out purple-blue, blotchy and covered in ick. Definitely not cute until they have 15min in the incubator getting washed up.

Hehe, I was born by C-section. I doubt I'd have the stomach to watch it from the other side though.

Hehe, I was born by C-section. I doubt I'd have the stomach to watch it from the other side though.

Same here. Only because my mother had a c section with my older sister. Is it true that once you get a c section, you have to keep getting them?

Same here. Only because my mother had a c section with my older sister. Is it true that once you get a c section, you have to keep getting them?

Depends on why you got one in the first place, I guess. unsure.gif

My mother couldn't give bith naturally (too narrow pelvis or something) so both me and my sister are born via C-section.

Edited by CatCreature

My older sister was a C-section since my mom was unable to go through natural labor, but I was born naturally.

It's by no means required, but it's pretty difficult to find a doctor who will do a natural birth after a c-section for various reasons.

It's by no means required, but it's pretty difficult to find a doctor who will do a natural birth after a c-section for various reasons.

That can depend where you are. From the Mayo Clinic's website:

Years ago, a C-section ended any hope of future vaginal deliveries. But today, thanks largely to changes in surgical technique, VBAC is possible in many cases. In fact, an estimated 75 percent of women who try VBAC have a successful vaginal delivery.

VBAC isn't right for everyone, though. Sometimes a pregnancy complication or underlying condition prevents the possibility of a successful VBAC. Many local hospitals don't offer VBAC because they don't have the staff or resources to handle emergency C-sections.

So from what I understand, VBAC (vaginal birth after Caeserian) is encouraged whenever possible. I believe this got started when the bikini-line incision became the standard procedure, as opposed to the vertical incision. The bikini-line incision is far less likely to rupture from the force of labor, and since vaginal birth is generally easier on the body than major abdominal surgery, if there are no medical issues that make another C-section absolutely necessary, there's no reason not to at least have a trial of labor.

So...why are we talking about c-sections in an abortion thread? x3

My mom tried twice to deliver vaginally, ended up having to have a c-section for both.

I think it has to do with whether or not abortion is gross, as a c-section is grosser? (I'm pretty sure that's it.) Is there maybe a thread about medical procedures that would fit better? (I am interested in continuing this discussion.)

Back on topic(Before we're in trouble)

I don't understand why a woman has to be awake for the procedure. I believe Shiny said that in certain countries, the woman is sedated and she wakes up when they're all done. Why can't we do that?

Oright, cause they want us to be aware that we're killing our potential babies for guilt trips. The law of being forced to look at a sonogram was just... Lets just say I'm packing my bags and moving out of Texas when I get the chance.. I'm shocked I was allowed to get my IUD.

Forced to get one and listen to the heartbeat. In this state. If I'm correct, the most she can do is turn her head the other way.

I don't understand why a woman has to be awake for the procedure. I believe Shiny said that in certain countries, the woman is sedated and she wakes up when they're all done. Why can't we do that?

Oright, cause they want us to be aware that we're killing our potential babies for guilt trips. The law of being forced to look at a sonogram was just... Lets just say I'm packing my bags and moving out of Texas when I get the chance.. I'm shocked I was allowed to get my IUD.

I just want to add my own opinion that this quote inspired, apologies for the long post.

I have a crippling fear of medical procedures; something as simple as taking my blood pressure or measuring my heart rate sends me into a panicking fit. Going to doctors' offices are often humiliating for me because I struggle to control this fear and my reactions. With this comes a horrendous fear of pregnancy and all medical things that come with it. Add that to my general hatred of children and lack of maternal instinct. If I became pregnant, I would want an abortion because otherwise I'm pretty sure that I would commit suicide facing nine months of terror and nightmares. (My mental health is unstable enough as it is and I go through suicidal phases.)

But having to be awake for the abortion would be terrible for me, as well. Medical procedures, even totally simple ones, completely freak me out. Seeing anything that belongs inside the body (organs, sonograms, fetuses) really mentally disturbs me and lingers in my mind. If I wasn't given the option of being put under sedation, then I doubt I could go through with it. (In my experience, doctors tend to just get annoyed with me and make me feel bad instead of trying to find solutions to handle my problem.) My only hope would be the doctors realizing that sedation is the safest thing, because I often start thrashing when faced with medical phobias and that seems dangerous for the procedure. Being restrained only increases my terror and feeling of helplessness. But if not, that leaves me with no good way out, and I'd likely choose death.

Yeah, I live in Texas. Awesome. >.<

Yes, my fear tends to blow up things way out of proportion and I overreact over things that I really shouldn't. I try to control it so that it doesn't cause so much stress in my life, but I haven't yet found any successful coping techniques or relaxation methods. Even speaking about this makes me nervous, sweaty, and twitchy.

Note: I am very pro-choice based on my opinions, but I don't know much about the medical part of abortions because I struggle to read or listen to anything describing or explaining the procedure (same issue with birth). I also don't know all the laws because to be honest, I struggle to understand them (my intelligence isn't the best). And I'm usually wrong with everything I bring up. So if I'm misunderstanding and it's perfectly okay to be put under sedation, that makes things easier in theory for someone with a similar situation. But I just wanted to throw out how I would be affected in this scenario.

Wow... I knew that Texas recently passed an anti-abortion bill that makes it harder for women to get them, but forcing them get and look at a sonogram as well as hear the heartbeat? That's way over the line. So glad I don't live there anymore.

Edited by Cecona

It's not just Texas. Wisconsin, Louisiana and Virginia also require a pre-abortion sonogram and the provider MUST display the image and give the guided tour. However, they oh-so kindly allow the woman to turn her head away if she doesn't want to look. Wisconsin is apparently considerate enough to allow an exemption; if the pregnancy is the result of sexual assault, the woman is not required to have the ultrasound.

Source: http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_RFU.pdf

Oright, cause they want us to be aware that we're killing our potential babies for guilt trips.

Eh, I wouldn't consider the choice of anesthesia and the shaming laws that well connected. General anesthesia(being "knocked out") is riskier than the "half-awake" options by design since you are being put into a coma. It doesn't help matters any that there is a great deal of harassment and social stigma attached to working for an abortion clinic in the US that probably doesn't exist in the countries mentioned, or at least in the same levels that exist here.

The shaming laws on the other hand are inhuman torture. They're not intended to inform or educate like some people prefer to believe, but shame and abuse a woman into changing her mind. Sometimes abortion is the ONLY humane choice to be made. Speaking of squirrel-fart crazy laws I had to stop reading A Handmaid's Tale halfway though when Utah tried to make miscarriage illegal because reality starting to reflect fiction so closely was more than I could take.

Eh, I wouldn't consider the choice of anesthesia and the shaming laws that well connected. General anesthesia(being "knocked out") is riskier than the "half-awake" options by design since you are being put into a coma. It doesn't help matters any that there is a great deal of harassment and social stigma attached to working for an abortion clinic in the US that probably doesn't exist in the countries mentioned, or at least in the same levels that exist here.

The shaming laws on the other hand are inhuman torture. They're not intended to inform or educate like some people prefer to believe, but shame and abuse a woman into changing her mind. Sometimes abortion is the ONLY humane choice to be made. Speaking of squirrel-fart crazy laws I had to stop reading A Handmaid's Tale halfway though when Utah tried to make miscarriage illegal because reality starting to reflect fiction so closely was more than I could take.

Utah actually tried to make miscarriage illegal? That's stupid on a number of levels because there multiple reasons for a spontaneous abortion to happen. That's like outlawing menstruation....

What are the shaming laws?

See, this is why I'm of the mindset that all politicians need to take at least two basic science courses, one in biology with an emphasis on human bio and one on environmental science. And then they have to pass with a B or better. >.>

Re: required sonograms

You know, cruel and unusual punishment is illegal under the constitution, so why are women being forced to undergo what I'd consider to be a cruel and unusual punishment for their own decisions?

Sedation is a big clinical risk. Someone who is conscious and can maintain their own airway is less likely to develop complications than someone who has to be sedated and have their airway controlled. Simple as that.

Utah actually tried to make miscarriage illegal? That's stupid on a number of levels because there multiple reasons for a spontaneous abortion to happen. That's like outlawing menstruation....

What are the shaming laws?

See, this is why I'm of the mindset that all politicians need to take at least two basic science courses, one in biology with an emphasis on human bio and one on environmental science. And then they have to pass with a B or better. >.>

Re: required sonograms

You know, cruel and unusual punishment is illegal under the constitution, so why are women being forced to undergo what I'd consider to be a cruel and unusual punishment for their own decisions?

Yep, they did. article on the law in question. Then Georgia tried to get in on the fun so fun you could puke! I get why Utah went loopy, but I swear those lawmakers were either vicious people who thought they could make it work by citing the case that prompted it, or complete morons with no idea what splash damage is, and I'm at the point in my life where I don't really care. I just want them to crawl back under their rocks and stop trying to wreck people's lives.

Shaming laws are just what I call any law intended to reduce the number of abortions by use of psychological, monetary, or temporal coercion. Things like the ultrasound laws, tying to shut down Planned Parenthood completely, and 24 hour waiting periods.

I'm all for that plan, but the chances of it working are low. Once people get it in their head that they're either doing "god's work" or that they'll get a lot of votes for crapping all over women's rights they hop to and try to pass anything they can. Honestly, I'm pretty convinced that a lot people firmly believe that anyone with female reproductive parts is incapable of making a choice regarding their own life.

Actually I am TERRIFIED of anaesthesia and would rather be awake - even for open heart surgery, and certainly for an abortion (I have to have ear surgery next year and they are putting me under. I argued and pointed out I didn't have to LAST time - but they pointed out now they use lasers and the slightest move on my part could direct it at my brain blink.gif )

But making it a requirement to try and guilt you is a total no-no for me. Men's laws, I bet....

My mom tried twice to deliver vaginally, ended up having to have a c-section for both.

To tell anti-abortionists that not all pregnancies end with a fast and easy delivery. wink.gif