Bear

Abortion

When I just get fed up with the Catholic church, I go and watch Father Ted until I feel better.

Ten points to Gryffindor. Father Ted is awesome.

Ten points to Gryffindor. Father Ted is awesome.

GOD yes - remember the movie protest ??? xd.png

I have them ALL on DVD (including the Christmas special with added Lingerie...) I think I will watch the lot RIGHT NOW.

I honestly don't get why everybody's so worked up. I mean, we are talking about organization that routinely excuses their own molesting members and sends them to a secluded place, where they have an even easier time of molesting kids.

Agreed.

I still get pissed off, because it shows nothing has changed.

But they have a long history of covering up disgusting crimes and allowing monsters to keep abusing the young.

No offense meant to Christians, though.

I know decent Christians are horrified each time such a scandal comes up and their prayers and thoughts go out to those who had their lives damaged by such monsters. And there are plenty who are horrified each time it's revealed that it was covered up, that the monsters were protected and allowed to continue their crimes.

I know that many (I'd hope most) Christians don't think it's okay that such people hurt children and were allowed to keep hurting children.

The problem is those in power really don't seem to care about the welfare of those who need protection most. Kinda like with politicians.

Would you want to remain a member of such a religion anyway ?

This attitude is one of the reasons I don't regret ditching religion myself.

I'm interested in links. I know like all the "support" centers out there for women who put up for adoption are basically extreme-Christain-rhetoric that don't actually work towards helping the women, so I'm curious about what centers you're talking about in this instance. :3

The Morning Center

The Hope House (Linked to "crisis" page)

There's two that I'm personally aware of/involved with on opposite ends of my state. Yes, they are Christian. But based on the volunteer work I've done with the Hope House, they don't discriminate on that basis. They'll accept anyone who needs help and counseling. As far as outside of my state, the folks at Abolish Human Abortion have tabs on similar crisis pregnancy centers in Oklahoma where they're based and in other states, so if you want more information, you could contact them and I'm sure they'd be glad to provide some links.

Even if such centers exist, they are far, far too few. Psychological counseling, in my experience, does very little for many people to begin with, and the amount of material help that can be given out wouldn't exactly suffice, either.

And as soon as the baby is - at MOST - a year old, the mother is cast out to the welfare system sad.gif and told she should have kept her legs together.

Harvard-educated physician kept off Mississippi health board, but forced-birther nominated to serve

This makes me crack up:

Reeves's spokewoman said at the time "he felt that [Reddix's] association with the abortion clinic was not appropriate in a role that would shape health policy for the state." Reeves said he wanted a qualified physician instead.

Why yes, he's so unqualified that you'll replace him with a school drop out.

No offense meant to Christians, though.

I know decent Christians are horrified each time such a scandal comes up and their prayers and thoughts go out to those who had their lives damaged by such monsters. And there are plenty who are horrified each time it's revealed that it was covered up, that the monsters were protected and allowed to continue their crimes.

I know that many (I'd hope most) Christians don't think it's okay that such people hurt children and were allowed to keep hurting children.

*Raises hand* Don't worry, I'm one of them.

The problem is those in power really don't seem to care about the welfare of those who need protection most. Kinda like with politicians.

Some people don't even bother to research them if they are pro-life but anti-welfare. As long as they say "pro-life" they get votes, only to show later that they're crazy force birthers.

news flash to all prolifers

Making abortion illegal will only make the problem worse.

I know here in misery Missouri women in the boothill talk about how they'd push each other down stairs and jump off small cliffs and tables while binge drinking to "clean out down there"

So alcohal poisoning, internal bleeding, risking broken bones, and a censorkip.gif of other health problems sounds better than going to a clinic and getting something LEGAL and for the most part risk free compared to other options is preferable?

Unfortunately, they seem to all be living in fantasy land. A magical place where once you force a woman to give birth, she will become a perfect and loving mother, realize how special it is to have a child, no one ever loses their livelihood because of an unwanted pregnancy, and women only seek abortions because they're legal. Also where women's bodies can protect themselves from rape.

news flash to all prolifers

Making abortion illegal will only make the problem worse.

I know here in misery Missouri women in the boothill talk about how they'd push each other down stairs and jump off small cliffs and tables while binge drinking to "clean out down there"

So alcohal poisoning, internal bleeding, risking broken bones, and a censorkip.gif of other health problems sounds better than going to a clinic and getting something LEGAL and for the most part risk free compared to other options is preferable?

Pfft! Who cares about women like that? If they can't keep their legs closed, they're worthless! Let them get grievously injured and die! No loss!

[/sarcasm]

Quite seriously, as far as I can tell that's the attitude of some pro-birthers: if a woman dares to be sexually active, she deserves to suffer as much as possible.

For people that can't put themselves in another's shoes and lack any real compassion, yes it is.

As Upton Sinclair would say: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

I find it a bit fascinating that Scientology gets so much flack as a cult when it was directly formed to go after money. Yet, the Church is one of the richest organizations in the world. "Traditionalists" are currently upset that the new Pope is not draping himself in gold, ermine and sitting on a throne. It's also said, half the truth is a great lie. And that's the trouble. The bible is full of kindness towards the sick and poor. And it's also full of pointed remarks about the rich and pharisees. But people ignore all that to focus on... people's sex lives. I think it's about taking the easy way out. They get paid a lot to disparage women. And for a group of "celibate" men, that's not exactly up close and personal.

The anti-abortion bill here in Kansas which would require doctors to give false information about the link between abortion and breast cancer, as well as a number of other restrictions, has passed through our Senate. It's expected the governor will sign it once the last few technicalities have been ironed out.

The vote was 29-11 on a measure blocking tax breaks for abortion providers and prohibiting them from furnishing materials or instructors for sex education classes in public schools. The measure also would prevent abortion patients from including abortion costs when deducting medical expenses on their state income taxes.

The bill spells out in greater detail what information doctors must provide to patients before performing abortions, including information about abortion and breast cancer. Scientists convened by the National Cancer Institute in 2003 concluded abortion did not raise the risk of breast cancer, but abortion opponents point to evidence that carrying a fetus to term can lessen the risk.

The measure also declares life begins “at fertilization” and that “unborn children” have interests “that should be protected.”

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2013/apr/03/a...l-approval-wee/

The anti-abortion bill here in Kansas which would require doctors to give false information about the link between abortion and breast cancer, as well as a number of other restrictions, has passed through our Senate. It's expected the governor will sign it once the last few technicalities have been ironed out.

seriously I thought that it had been made clear that your age when you start menstrating had more effect on if you get breast cancer than having an abortion e.e .

Can we get some doctors to go in and correct the politicans please?

They had doctors come in and address the politicians. Unfortunately, the discussion was the day before a major snowstorm and the pro-choice side was cut short so that people could get home before the weather hit.

If only America had some sort of governing policy about not being allowed to mix religion with the law....

If only America had some sort of governing policy about not being allowed to mix religion with the law....

you mean if people would only stop ignoring the first amendment wink.gif

you mean if people would only stop ignoring the first amendment wink.gif

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Which should surely , in any case, mean that those who believe god has nothing to do with abortion, and/or god would be OK with it, being as how s/he is compassionate and all that, should have the right to practise things from THEIR point of view too.

Here's some good news coming out of the state of Kansas. In 2009, abortion provider George Tiller was killed for providing late-term abortions, and since then the people of Wichita and the state of Kansas have tried to drive all abortion clinics out of the state (including the infamous law mandating the size of broom closets in clinics). Wichita has been without an abortion provider for the last 4 years and the last doctor who tried received death threats and was eventually blocked by her landlord who wouldn't rent her the space.

One of Tiller's former colleagues will be providing abortions in the city again starting next week. Needless to say, it's controversial: http://www.kansas.com/2013/04/04/2747136/n...rucial-for.html and http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/01/41565...in-wichita.html

So I've found an interesting hypothetical situation floating around tumblr...

"Here’s a test:

I’m holding a baby in one hand and a petri dish holding a fetus in the other.

I’m going to drop one. You chose which.

If you really truly believe a fetus is the same thing as a baby, it should be impossible for you to decide. You should have to flip a coin, that’s how impossible the decision should be.

Shot in the dark, you saved the baby.

Because you’re aware there’s a difference.

Now admit it."

Thoughts?

"Here’s a test:

If you really truly believe a fetus is the same thing as a baby, it should be impossible for you to decide. You should have to flip a coin, that’s how impossible the decision should be.

Now admit it."

Thoughts?

My thought ? LOVE it; shall post elsewhere biggrin.gif

"Here’s a test:

Now admit it."

Thoughts?

My favorite variant involves a cooler with (a large number here) say 500 frozen eggs ready to be implanted. Burning building, you can only save the 500 eggs or the one living child.