Bear

Abortion

There are parents with money only willing to take a perfect baby. There are also parents with less money and can be very hesitant to take a baby with major medical issues that they cant pay for. Universal health care or severe reforms to the current system could help clear that issue up.

My spouse and I would love to adopt. But the straight up costs can be higher then putting a child threw a few years of university. Some of our friends are in the middle of the adoption process. A very nice pastor and his stay at home wife. Any child they ever have will be loved and spoiled. But the whole money thing is slowing the process down to the point where they are considering trying to get pregnant and risk miscarrying again. Small church pastors don't exactly have loads of cash in the bank.

Exactly. Even though there are people out there more than willing to adopt, there is more than likely SOMETHING stopping them from obtaining that goal; either unrealistic expectations for their new child, or money costs or some other factor. And unfortunately it's not like we can put children's development on hold until things get cleared up with potential families. Kids in the adoptive/foster system still grow up without parents, without love, and without hope every day.

And that's not okay.

Mother in Ireland was refused an abortion, and she died. This is so wrong when her life was in jeopardy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/india...o=feeds-newsxml

Zaxian posted that earlier on this page a few days ago.

I'm not even sure tragic is a strong enough word here. I heard it sparked some riots, but haven't looked into that past just hearing that from a friend.

This thread seems to be pointing out extremist pro-lifers everytime I check on it, so I thought I'd balance it a bit.

(Some of the quotes could be taken as being upsetting, so be warned)

While I agree with Hazeh that many of those weren't actually too extreme (they seem to have been posted simply because of a difference of opinion on personhood), there are definitely some extreme ones in there, like trying to excuse violence on any side or stomping on a fetus or wishing the person else had been aborted. Extreme sides, no matter on which side, are always frustrating and upsetting. 3=

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Mother in Ireland was refused an abortion, and she died. This is so wrong when her life was in jeopardy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/india...o=feeds-newsxml

Hate to raise Kat, but your preferred presidential candidate had views that would have made these kind of stories more common.

Edited by Kestra15

Hate to raise Kat, but your preferred presidential candidate had views that would have made these kind of stories more common.

That may be true to some degree, but I am for abortion when it is the life of the mother, rape, incest or the child is so badly deformed or other bad issues.

Some things to me were still more important, so that is why I voted for Romney. Let me say this, Romney would not have been my choice though for a republican.

Interesting take on the tragedy Phil, but from what I understood of from the other stories was that she was bleeding heavily, hit with one type of illness and a second killed her, the second being avoidable if they had preformed a medical abortion so they could treat the mother better.

Did I interperate them wrong?

Interesting take on the tragedy Phil, but from what I understood of from the other stories was that she was bleeding heavily, hit with one type of illness and a second killed her, the second being avoidable if they had preformed a medical abortion so they could treat the mother better.

Did I interperate them wrong?

I'll readily admit I'm no medical professional, and I haven't looked into the articles relating to the tragedy extensively myself. I just found that article and thought it would be good to offer a different perspective. Of course it's coming from a news outlet with apparently anti-abortion sympathies, so there is a bias. But the other articles offer the alternative bias, so it's always nice to get both sides wink.gif

It is but I find that the article you shared did not once mention the woman's name nor did it mention why she died(the medical issues by name) I'm not sure how much is to be gained from that source but yes it is good to see both sides

It is but I find that the article you shared did not once mention the woman's name nor did it mention why she died(the medical issues by name) I'm not sure how much is to be gained from that source but yes it is good to see both sides

I think it's also an editorial opinion, not a journalistic piece. The URL shows it being filed under the "opinions" directory. So I agree with you there. Just thought it might be fun to throw someone else's opinion in the mix.

Although it DOES mention her name at the beginning. And the author claims that the actual cause of death is not known, which may or may not be true.

Edited by philpot123

Hmm seemed to have read over that thanks for correcting me philpot, the other artilces had her name in their more and made it easier to follow.

I hope the outcome of it calls for reform on woman's health in Ireland so that it doesn't happen again.

I'd like to point out that the article phil linked also refers to several deaths which as I see it derive directly from insufficient after-abortion care (negligence). Also, women altogether refraining from seeing professional care due to abortion laws being strict.

In my eyes, practically all examples given (all minus the ruptured womb one, to be more specific) point to why both abortion and *good* after-abortion care should be freely available.

I don't know if this has been posted in this topic before, so I shall post it again

http://cdn.iwastesomuchtime.com/942012005048o7Aaz.jpg

----

I had a not-quite-arguement with my taxi driver yesterday about certain american politicians wanting to outlaw abortion. he says to me "its against my religion, im catholic you see" and I didnt say anything (cos I avoid fights like the plague) but if i had the guts i would have said "im athiest, should i have to follow your religious values too?". (I tend to be not eloquent when put on the spot either; everyone knows that great responses are thought of hours later). Still, it probably wouldn't have done anything to affect his opinions.

Edited by loudwhitenoise

----

I had a not-quite-arguement with my taxi driver yesterday about certain american politicians wanting to outlaw abortion. he says to me "its against my religion, im catholic you see" and I didnt say anything (cos I avoid fights like the plague) but if i had the guts i would have said "im athiest, should i have to follow your religious values too?". (I tend to be not eloquent when put on the spot either; everyone knows that great responses are thought of hours later). Still, it probably wouldn't have done anything to affect his opinions.

I'd have said "Well, you don't have to have an abortion, but others are not of your religion and should have that right." xd.png

should a be an experienced doctors panel which reviews all abortion request cases. each case with a submission cost to avoid floozies..

but that's never going to happen.

should a be an experienced doctors panel which reviews all abortion request cases. each case with a submission cost to avoid floozies..

I don't even know where to begin with this.

Why a panel of doctors? Why not just the one doctor? And if we insisted on a panel, why doctors only? Why not involve the nurses/midwives, the pharmacists, the physiotherapists and everyone else? Why only experienced doctors? Define experienced. How long do you think it would take to get such a panel together to deliberate every case before them? Where would you get these professionals from? How often would they meet, or how soon would you demand they met? And wouldn't a charge just force those who need it but don't have the money to have more back-street abortions and put more lives at risk?

Why a panel of doctors? Why not just the one doctor? And if we insisted on a panel, why doctors only? Why not involve the nurses/midwives, the pharmacists, the physiotherapists and everyone else? Why only experienced doctors? Define experienced. How long do you think it would take to get such a panel together to deliberate every case before them? Where would you get these professionals from? How often would they meet, or how soon would you demand they met? And wouldn't a charge just force those who need it but don't have the money to have more back-street abortions and put more lives at risk?

Why not involve a minister or two biggrin.gif

My father, who was one, would certainly have been good at that - he was humane enough to realise the importance of choice.

One doctor will do for me, thanks. But I do think the woman should see a counsellor - not to "approve" it, just to make sure she is sure. In all my years working for a doctor who referred women on to clinics when they asked, only one ever changed her mind - but that possibility must be suggested.

And here we go again with the idea that women who have sex deserve to "suffer" for making that choice if a child results from it. Especially poor women, amirite? Because they're extra immoral!

Frankly that's getting rather old, in my opinion. mad.gif

Edited by prairiecrow

Just out of curiosity- exactly who - in this context - would count as a floozie ? I see the definition includes people who dress flamboyantly... and also says a woman who is REGARDED as promiscuous - not necessarily a woman who IS so.

So when you've been flamed all over horrid facebook as being a floozie, that means you are one ? (see under Jeremy Kyle for the lies that show up in FB rumours...)

Why shouldn't prostitutes (assuming that's what you meant) be allowed an abortion?