Bear

Abortion

I have no problem with abortions. I have no power over what people think and do, so I don't see any reason to hate it. I used to be pro-life, but then I realized people do it for a reason. Not all people are healthy, mentally or financially fit for a child.

Some people get pregnant by accident. Failed protection and rape are the main reasons for this happen. They don't want the baby, for them and the baby's better good. I mean, a parent who is unhappy or hates their kid(s) will make the child(ren) unhappy with themselves. I've seen this happen many times before.

Another reason is medical reasons. The baby or mother may have complications during birth. The mother can get an abortion to prevent a difficult life for her baby and herself.

It's the woman's body, it does NOT belong to the fetus. That being said, if the woman want it out, she has every right to do so. These are just my thoughts and opinions as an individual, if you think differently, that is fine. I'm not pushing my beliefs on you, so don't push yours onto me.

Pro Choice

Why am i prochoice? Because its not my body, its not my decision. Its between the mother, the doctor and the father, if he is in the picture.

I would rather have abortions be available to those who need/want them than have to pay the medical bills of the young women who have no other options than to use rusty hangers on themselves to force a miscarraige, or overdose on drugs known to cause miscarraiges. I would rather provide women the safer alternative than having to find ways to do it themselves.

There are no words for that video.. and people who havent seen it, dont go back and watch it. You are really much much better off looking up the information, and making your own decisions.

Pro Choice

Why am i prochoice? Because its not my body, its not my decision. Its between the mother, the doctor and the father, if he is in the picture.

I would rather have abortions be available to those who need/want them than have to pay the medical bills of the young women who have no other options than to use rusty hangers on themselves to force a miscarraige, or overdose on drugs known to cause miscarraiges. I would rather provide women the safer alternative than having to find ways to do it themselves.

There are no words for that video.. and people who havent seen it, dont go back and watch it. You are really much much better off looking up the information, and making your own decisions.

Thu your phrasing is so eloquent.

As a mod I had to watch that video. I made it about 15 minutes in before I got so disgusted that I couldn't watch anymore. I'm not jewish, I have no family that died in the holocaust. In fact, I'm about 5/8 German. Either way, that video offended me a lot. It made me completely ashamed that anyone would think to do that. Do not watch the video. Just...don't. Abortion has nothing to do with the holocaust.

But yeah, my opinion is very similar to Thu's. The only issue I have is defining when exactly the fetus becomes a person. My stance is that abortion should be legal up until the fetus can survive outside of the womb without medical assistance.

(My reason for medical assistance not being required is a bit weird but basically as follows:

if medical assistance is allowed than an aborted embryo is murder since embryos /can/ be raised in a test tube. I don't expect anyone to agree with my opinion, and I understand that most people probably won't. That's fine. Just my humble opinion.)

Edited by kiffren

Closing topic until I have time to check posts, thank you for your patients.

~Re-opened topic, Everyone is allowed an opinion, you do not have to agree. Please remember to attack the topic not each other.~

Edited by _Z_

A lot of people have made good points about a woman's control over her own body and the line we set for personhood, so I'm going to set that aside and say that I'm disturbed by the large "Personhood" legislation push for an additional reason.

For me, what's enlightening in the Personhood idea is the lack of rape and incest exceptions, because it shows, as nothing else in this debate does, how solely focused much of this is on controlling women.

There have been a number of new abortion bills and Personhood proposals introduced in the last few years, many of which attempt to alter or eliminate the rape and incest exception. So here's the question – How many bills have been introduced solely to attack the problem of rape and incest?

I think that we can all agree that rape and incest are heinous acts. If anything has a bipartisan consensus it should be that sexually violating and brutalizing women and children is repulsive and wrong on every level. It's pretty much a no brainer that attempts to wipe out those crimes should meet with overwhelming support on all sides.

So where are all of the people pushing through these bills?

It's easy to say that this is just a small percentage of abortions preformed each year. However, estimates are anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands, and when each life is sacred, that's a huge amount - and clearly the pro-life folks think so, too, or they wouldn't exclude the exceptions.

When you look to the party that is generally pushing Personhood, you see a party that says it's for family values – ending rape and incest fits in with that – and tough on crime – ending rape and incest fits in with that, too. In fact, those things should be a perfect fit for the Republican agenda.

So where's legislation for training programs for professionals and educators to recognize the signs of incest? For concerted efforts to make rape and incest less traumatizing to report and prosecute? Where are the offers to create treatments that those with these urges can reach out to before they hurt someone?

And where's the intense focus in sex ed on what constitutes rape and consent? Women get chain emails that get passed along by concerned friends with lists of things we can do to avoid being raped. But why is it that it's almost completely our responsibility to not “get ourselves raped”? Where is the shift in focus where we educate boys, and thus the next generation of men, that it's actually completely their responsibility to not rape people – no matter what, regardless of anything they see as some type of provocation? No exceptions.

Because when it comes to tackling the issue of abortion in cases of rape and incest, there are two ends of the spectrum here:

Horrific predators---------------------------------------------------Innocent, traumatized victims

And the entire focus of the Personhood movement is on the women's side of that equation.

Even though they'd enjoy bipartisan support by addressing the male end of that spectrum. Even though those proposals would most likely easily be passed, thus preventing some pregnancies and, therefore, abortions, immediately. Even though it would spare women and children from a lifetime of struggling with the trauma of being violated. And even though these efforts could be done simultaneously with anti-abortion efforts.

All that, and yet the focus isn't on controlling the criminals, just the victims.

This is the kind of thing that makes this feel like a war on women. Because even in cases where men are the cause of the situation (and I'm not saying this of all abortions, but in the circumstances of pregnancy from incest and rape), there's very little attempt at doing anything that would meaningfully or effectively move to restrict them; just women.

I agree that it's a huge problem. Rape culture is terrible.

Physically male people need to understand that it hurts them, too, to have this idea of it's got to be on the women to prevent herself from being raped.

The idea implies that if you have a penis, you are an uncontrollable horny person who has "rapist" as their default nature and it's only through insane force of will that you are capable of being around those who possess vaginas at all. That is a horribly degrading outlook on those who are physically male. Nobody should WANT to have "rapist" as their default nature in the eyes of society, but that's the horrible implication of rape culture.

So actually working to prevent/punish rape and educate people on it would not only help lower instances of abortion due to rape as well as rape in general, it would help promote women as people and help stop the implication that comes along with rape culture of those possessing penises being sex-crazed monsters.

It's just a good situation all around. There is no downside to it.

Aside from actually asserting that possessing a vagina doesn't make you less of a person. And that's only a downside if you're hell-bent on male supremacy. So, really, the only people who should be against it are anti-equality people who promote sexism and misogyny. And nobody should WANT to be slapped with those labels, so nobody should actually want to prevent legislation that tackles issues of rape and incest that helps reduce the impact of rape culture.

http://current.com/groups/news-blog/937097...ar-on-women.htm

1. "Personally I’d like to make a law that mandates a woman watch an abortion being performed prior to having a ‘surgical procedure’. If it’s not a life it shouldn’t matter, if it doesn’t harm a woman then she shouldn’t care, and don’t we want more transparency and education in the medical profession anyway? We demand it everywhere else."-- Arizona state Rep. Terri Proud ® (March 21)

2. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert signs a law requiring a 72-hour wait to obtain an abortion. (March 21)

3. "I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by a rape. I assume that's part of the counseling that goes on." -- Idaho state Rep. Chuck Winder (March 20)

4. GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney: "Vote for the other guy" if you want birth control covered. (March 20)

5. Arizona state Rep. Debbie Lesko ® defends her bill, which could require women to prove to their employers that they are taking birth control for medical reasons and not simply to prevent pregnancy, by putting religion above women's rights: "My bill does one thing and one thing alone. It allows an employer with religious objections to opt out," she says. (March 20)

6. "If I thought that the man’s signature was required… required, in order for a woman to have an abortion, I’d have a little more peace about it…" -- Alaska state Rep. Alan Dick (March 20)

7. Rhode Island state Rep. Karen MacBeth, a self-described conservative Democrat, introduces a bill requiring ultrasound before an abortion. (March 19)

8. The Idaho Senate passes a bill requiring an ultrasound for women seeking a abortion, as well as providing a list of providers of free ultrasounds. The catch? Those providers are mainly crisis-pregnancy centers run by pro-life groups and the ultrasounds performed there may not meet the requirement of the law, necessitating a second procedure. (March 19)

9. The Tennessee legislature proposes a bill that would publish the names of doctors who provide abortions, as well as potentially identifiying women who undergo the procedure. (March 19)

10. Data shows that, thanks to a process known as gender rating, women pay more for health insurance than men, even among plans that don't include female-specific services like maternity coverage. (March 19)

11. Texas Gov. Rick Perry implements a law that would exclude Planned Parenthood from the Medicaid women's health program, causing the Department of Health and Human services to revoke federal funding for family planning via Medicaid to the state. (March 16)

12. The Arizona legislature is on the cusp of defunding Planned Parenthood. (March 16)

13. A Colorado bill, which passes the state House, would increase penalties if a person hurts a woman and causes death or injury to her unborn child. Critics say it effectively criminalizes abortion. (March 16)

14. "They take women to dinner, they buy women diamonds, they open car doors for women." -- Rush Limbaugh on why Republicans can't hate women. (March 15)

15. "To me the issue is that we have young people who think they are doing good for others by handing out condoms. There are many instances of date rape in which the assailant uses a condom. I would hate to think that the condom they receive from this group somehow entitles them to...[do this]" -- Rev. Jude DeAngelo, reacting to a student group aiming to encourage safe sex by distributing condoms. (March 15)

16. The Guttmacher Institute reports that more than half of reproductive-aged women in the U.S. live in states hostile to reproductive rights. (March 15)

17. The New Hampshire House passes a bill forcing doctors to tell women of a link between breast cancer and abortion, which has been scientifically disproved. (March 15)

18. Congressional Republicans oppose renewing the Violence Against Women Act. (March 14)

19. The Utah state legislature passes a bill that would ban sex education in schools. Bright spot: Gov. Herbert (a Republican) vetoed it. (March 14)

20. New Hampshire House votes on a bill banning third-term abortions. (March 14)

21. "Now, how can I be anti-woman? I even judged the Miss America pageant.” -- Rush Limbaugh (March 14)

22. New Hampshire House votes on bill that allows judges two business days before they have to decide whether a juvenile who does not want to inform her parents may have an abortion. (March 14)

23. Catholic bishops declare the fight against mandated coverage of contraceptives a top priority. (March 14)

24. New Hampshire House approves a 24-hour waiting period for abortions. (March 14)

25. "I don't know how you make anybody watch, OK. Because you just have to close your eyes. But as long as it's on exterior not interior." -- Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett on an ultrasound bill being considered in the House (March 14)

26. Lasko ® introduces her bill in the Arizona House that would allow employers to ask women for documentation if they require birth control pills for non-contraceptive reasons. (March 14)

27. Fox News commentator Liz Trotta says military women should "expect" to be raped. She goes on to say the military is spending too much money on sexual assault prevention. (March 14)

28. Indiana woman Bei Bei Shuai has spent one year in jail for the crime of attempting suicide while pregnant. (March 14)

29. "If they can refind those reasons and get back to why they got married in the first place it might help." -- Wisconsin state Rep. Don Pridemore to abused women (March 13)

30. "Planned Parenthood, we're going to get rid of that." -- Mitt Romney on cutting spending (March 13)

31. Mississippi passes a measure aimed at closing the state's only abortion clinic. (March 13)

32. The Alabama Supreme Court ruled doctors can be sued for the death of an unborn, pre-viable child. (March 12)

33. "Every invasive procedure has an informed consent requirement" -- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell on mandatory ultrasounds (March 12)

34. A number of newspapers refused to carry a "Doonesbury" strip referencing the transvaginal ultrasound bill authored in Virginia on the grounds of graphic language. Because it's OK to make laws about vaginas, but it's not OK to talk about them. (March 12)

35. "If these young women are being responsible and didn't have the sex to begin with, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with." -- New Hanover County (N.C.) Commissioner Ted Davis (March 12)

36. Maine state Rep. Lance Harvell questions why pap smears are covered by insurance. (March 12)

37. "Life gives us many experiences … I’ve had the experience of delivering calves, dead and alive. Delivering pigs, dead or alive. It breaks our hearts to see those animals not make it." -- Georgia state Rep. Terry England, comparing women to livestock (3/12)

38. Catholic University of America shames students for premarital sex, outlaws contraception on campus. (March 9)

39. The Atlantic reports on a New York state policy that carrying condoms can be used as evidence of prostitution. A bill that seeks to reverse this policy has languished for 13 years. (March 9)

40. "Artificial birth control is unnatural and immoral." -- Pat Buchanan on contraception coverage. (March 8)

41. The Arizona state Senate passed a bill that would allow doctors to conceal information about disabilities or deformities affecting a fetus in order to prevent abortions. (March 8)

42. "Going with that logic, according to our own Health and Human Services secretary, it isn’t far-fetched to think that the President of the United States could say, 'We need to save health care expenses — the federal government will only pay for one baby to be born in the hospital per family, or two babies to be born per family.'" -- Michele Bachmann on the Obama adminstration's contraception mandate (March 8)

43. Wisconsin state Sen. Glenn Grothman ® proposes a law classifying single parenting as child abuse. (March 7)

44. Virginia Gov. McDonnell signs into law a measure requiring an ultrasound prior to obtaining an abortion; however, a controversial provision requiring a transvaginal ultrasound was removed after significant pressure. (March 7)

45. "President Obama and his allies in the press are trying to pull a fast one on you. You've heard all about the so-called 'contraception controversy,' well there's no such thing... his foot soldier, Sandra Fluke, a contraception activist, is at the center of the storm... President Obama, on the ropes with the economy and specifically with women voters, gets Mrs. Fluke to create a controversy, and the liberal media puppets play along as scripted." -- Fox News host Eric Bolling (March 7)

46. Colorado's Supreme Court approves a ballot initiative for a constitutional amendment that would prohibit a woman from terminating a pregnancy for any reason. (March 7)

47. "What is it with all of these young, single, white women, overeducated — doesn’t mean intelligent." -- Rush Limbaugh on author Tracie McMillan, discussing her book about child nutrition (March 6)

48. Sarah Palin says outrage over Limbaugh's "****" comment is hypocritical. (March 6)

49. "We are seeing it. We are seeing the fabric of this country fall apart, and it's falling apart because of single moms." -- Rick Santorum (March 6)

50. A New Mexico school is sued after allegedly publicly humiliating an 8th grader by announcing her pregnancy to the entire school. (March 6)

51. TSA forced a woman to use her breast pump in a public restroom in order to take it on a plane. (March 5)

52. "You want me to give you my hard-earned money so you can have sex?" -- Bill O'Reilly on Sandra Fluke (March 2)

53. Nevada anti-abortion groups proceed with ballot initiatives to protect "prenatal" persons and prohibit abortion. (March 2)

54. "Now Sandra has chained herself to the sinking ship of Pelosi Liberalism. She will always be remembered as a Welfare Condom Queen." -- Angela Morabito of "The College Conservative" blog, on Sandra Fluke (March 2)

55. Florida passes a bill requiring a 24-hour wait before an abortion, and requires that clinics be owned by doctors. (March 2)

56. "And not one person says, well, did you ever think about maybe backing off the amount of sex that you have? Do you ever think maybe it's your responsibility for your own birth control, not everybody else's?" -- Rush Limbaugh on Sandra Fluke (March 2)

57. "Wow. Wow, wow, wow, that makes PMS almost worth it." -- Rush Limbaugh after a caller told him a month's worth of birth-control pills costs $5 at Wal-mart (March 1)

58. Missouri Sen. Roy Blunt authors an amendment allowing employers to opt out of any health coverage they deem immoral. (March 1)

59. “She said, 'I leave it up to the government to make good decisions for America.' … What do you expect from a woman driver? I don't know why everybody was so shocked.” -- Rush Limbaugh on NASCAR driver Danica Patrick's support of the contraception mandate. (March 1)

60. "We’re not talking about scientists. Ma’m we’re not talking about scientists here, we’re talking about religious belief." Pennsylvania Rep. Tim Murphy ®, responding to HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius' explanation that the morning-after pill is not abortive. (March 1)

61. The Georgia House passes a "fetal pain"-based bill banning abortion after 20 weeks. (March 1)

62. "If a state required sterilization as a condition of citizenship, would you be required to do that on the federal level?" -- Texas Rep. Mike Burgess to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. (March 1)

63. "So Miss Fluke, and the rest of you Feminazis, here's the deal. If we are going to pay for your contraceptives, and thus pay for you to have sex. We want something for it. We want you post the videos online so we can all watch." -- Rush Limbaugh (March 1)

64. Louisiana Sen. David Vitter on contraception coverage: "It's about abortion, it's about abortion-inducing drugs ... it's about sterilization." (March 1)

65. "I'm offering a compromise today. I will buy all of the women at Georgetown University as much aspirin to put between their knees as they want." -- Rush Limbaugh (March 1)

66. "What does it say about the college co-ed Susan Fluke [sic], who goes before a Congressional committee and essentially says that she must be paid for sex? What does that make her? It makes her a censorkip.gif, right? It makes her a prostitute." -- Rush Limbaugh (Feb. 29)

67. Personhood Florida launched a two-year push to get a fetal personhood initiative on the ballot in 2014. (Feb. 29)

68. "Well, I mean, this mandate has been justified on the basis of the fact that there’s health benefits to providing contraceptives. But the issue of health benefits is not the point. If the government mandated everything that had positive health benefits, it could possibly mandate that everyone drink red wine for heart health even though it violates the religious beliefs of Muslims and Mormons. And it could mandate that everyone eat shellfish even though that violates the religious beliefs of Jews." -- Asma Uddin, attorney with Becket Fund for Religious Liberty (Feb. 28)

69. Alabama bill requires an ultrasound prior to an abortion Bright spot: It's changed to allow a choice of ultrasound methods. (Feb. 28)

70. Colorado state Sen. Ted Harvey on a hospital dislosure bill: "This is religious bigotry, doesn’t matter how you look at it, and that is the way the Communist Vietnam government is." (Feb. 27)

71. Pennsylvania ultrasound bill requires technicians give women personalized results and "strongly encourages" women to view the screen during the ultrasound. (Feb. 27)

72. "How about we amend this bill to just put a big star, a big sign. To say this is the building we designated. Would that be appropriate? No. Neither is this bill." -- Colorado state Sen. Kevin Lundberg comparing a bill requiring religious hospitals to disclose services not performed to Nazi Germany. (Feb. 27)

73. Wisconsin GOP attempts to repeal the Equal Pay Enforcement Act. (Feb. 24)

74. Washington state Sen. Michael Baumgartner (a Republican) says U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell (a Democrat) is unqualified to talk about contraception because she's an unmarried woman. (Feb. 24)

75. The Virginia House of Delegates passes a bill that would define life as beginning at conception. (Feb. 23)

76. "We can expect future mandates, under the guise of "health care," to include sex-change operations, late-term abortions, embryonic stem-cell use, and a variety of other procedures that many Americans do not support and certainly do not want to be compelled to foot the bill for. Obama’s mandate for abortifacient drugs opens a slippery slope that would erode the moral authority of religious institutions in America." -- conservative blogger Phyllis Schlafly (Feb. 22)

77. A Congressional hearing on contraception won't be televised. (Feb. 22)

78. "Abundant evidence proves that the agenda of Planned Parenthood includes sexualizing young girls through the Girl Scouts, which is quickly becoming a tactical arm of Planned Parenthood." -- Indiana state Rep. Bob Morris (Feb. 21)

79. Proposed Arizona prenatal nondiscrimination act allows men to block abortions. (Feb. 20)

80. "One of the mandates is they require free prenatal testing in every insurance policy in America. Why? Because it saves money in health care. Why? Because free prenatal testing ends up in more abortions and therefore less care that has to be done, because we cull the ranks of the disabled in our society" -- Rick Santorum (Feb. 19)

81. "But it was one of those things where her story was compelling, but it wasn’t in any way related to the point of the stated reason for hearing." -- Rep Darrell Issa on not allowing Sandra Fluke to testify in a contraception hearing. (Feb. 17)

82. Oklahoma Senate passes personhood bill saying life begins at conception. (Feb. 16)

83. Virginia Del. David Englin (a Democrat) recalls a conversation with an unnamed GOP lawmaker regarding the transvaginal ultrasound bill, who told him women already made the choice to be "vaginally penetrated when they got pregnant." (Feb. 16)

84. Oklahoma attempts to cut funding to Planned Parenthood. (Feb. 16)

85. Rep. Darrell Issa's hearing on contraception coverage includes zero female witnesses, and several female legislators walk out in protest. (Feb. 16)

86. "You know, back in my days, they used Bayer aspirin for contraception. The gals put it between their knees, and it wasn’t that costly." -- Santorum backer Foster Friess (Feb. 16)

87. A Texas law requiring mandatory ultrasounds goes into effect. (Feb. 16)

88. "One of the things I will talk about that no president has talked about before is I think the dangers of contraception in this country, the whole sexual libertine idea. Many in the Christian faith have said, 'Well, that’s okay. Contraception’s okay.' It's not okay." -- Rick Santorum (Feb. 14)

89. "Bring me one woman who has been left behind. Bring me one. There’s not one. The fact of the matter is, this is a trampling of religious freedom and religious liberty in this country." -- Georgia Rep. Tom Price on the mandate that contraception be covered by insurance at no additional charge (Feb. 10)

90. "Interestingly enough, here is what they are forcing them to do — in an insurance policy, they or forcing them to pay for something that costs just a few dollars. Is that what insurance is for?" -- Rick Santorum on birth control (Feb. 10)

91. Fox News' Greg Gutfeld claims contraception coverage for the poor amounts to "class warfare." (Feb. 8)

92. "The feminists have so broadened the definition of domestic violence that it doesn't have to be violent and can usually be whatever a woman alleges." -- Phyllis Schlafly on the Violence Against Women Act (Feb. 7)

93. Kansas offers a sweeping anti-abortion bill that would allow doctors to withhold information about birth defects, require women to hear a fetal heartbeat, and force doctors to inform women about a disproved link between breast cancer and abortions. (Feb. 6)

94. The Susan G. Komen foundation pulls funding used for breast exams from Planned Parenthood, citing an investigation into the organization's funding. (Jan. 28)

95. Virginia state Rep. Dave Albo entertains the House floor with stories of his wife withholding sex over the ultrasound bill, and later sends a snarky email to an angry blogger who wrote about it. (Feb. 27)

96. "I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created — in the sense of rape — but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you." -- Rick Santorum on pregnant rape victims (Jan. 23)

97. A Federal judge rules Washington pharmicists cannot be required to dispense Plan B if they have a moral objection. (Feb. 22)

98. Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine ® approves language on a proposed personhood ballot initiative defining life as beginning at conception. (Jan. 5)

99. "I would advocate that any doctor that performs an abortion should be criminally charged for doing so." -- Rick Santorum (Jan. 4)

100. An Arkansas-based conservative group attempts to get a ballot initiative that would define life as starting at conception. (Bright spot: The state's Attorney General rejected the petition.) (Jan. 4)

101. Rick Santorum declares that states should be allowed to outlaw birth control. (Jan. 3)

That is just downright scary. ;;

Other news: the very first abortion clinic opened in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

There are only two countries left in the European Union where women do not have the right to a safe abortion now: Malta and The Irish Republic. Still two too many, but we're getting there.

Edited by Trope

Good news, ladies and d00dz! Women no longer need abortions, ever, even to save their lives, because SCIENCE!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2012/10..._of_mother.html

Yes, that's right. Women no longer die due to pregnancy-related complications because of "science and technology". All those ladies out there who are dying every day from such complications? They're not really dead. They're just resting. Or pining for the fjords.

Other news: the very first abortion clinic opened in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

There are only two countries left in the European Union where women do not have the right to a safe abortion now: Malta and The Irish Republic. Still two too many, but we're getting there.

I saw that was opened! I'll also throw this in here: http://world.time.com/2012/10/19/uruguay-d...orse-than-rape/

Good on Uruguay! I hope this could be the start of something good in Latin America. ;~;

Good news, ladies and d00dz! Women no longer need abortions, ever, even to save their lives, because SCIENCE!

http://blogs.suntimes.com/politics/2012/10..._of_mother.html

Yes, that's right. Women no longer die due to pregnancy-related complications because of "science and technology". All those ladies out there who are dying every day from such complications? They're not really dead. They're just resting. Or pining for the fjords.

MFW I read that.

Has he never even googled pregnancy? :/ Even a simple google search pulls me up many links on disorders during pregnancy, some of which can cause death (like eclampsia). (Actually isn't pregnancy in itself among the most dangerous things a women can ever excperience? o_o)

This kind of grievous lack of education is unacceptable for a man running for Congress or whatever higher up position he's going for. I really hate it when people this ill-educated give their opinion on such an important issue - it's almost like it demeans the whole thing. Or something. I can't word it right.

I'm just disgusted. Science and technology can only do so much and go so far. ><

As for the abortion clinic in N. Ireland and the bill in Uruguay, I'm proud of them. It's so awesome when countries take action towards progress. I feel like our own people are trying to move /us/ backward though. :/

But srsly. My uterus is my uterus is MY GODFORSAKEN UTERUS. What goes on it will be my business. I wish people would understand that. :< If they want control over my uterus, well then they can damn well have the blasted thing. dry.gif

The World Health Organization tracks info like maternal mortality.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/...8/en/index.html

Key facts

• Every day, approximately 800 women die from preventable causes related to pregnancy and childbirth.

• 99% of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries.

• Maternal mortality is higher in women living in rural areas and among poorer communities.

• Young adolescents face a higher risk of complications and death as a result of pregnancy than older women.

• Skilled care before, during and after childbirth can save the lives of women and newborn babies.

• Between 1990 and 2010, maternal mortality worldwide dropped by almost 50%

Women in developing countries have on average many more pregnancies than women in developed countries, and their lifetime risk of death due to pregnancy is higher. A woman’s lifetime risk of maternal death – the probability that a 15 year old woman will eventually die from a maternal cause – is 1 in 3800 in developed countries, versus 1 in 150 in developing countries.

When I was looking for the fact sheet, yays google! I spied an initiative that Mayor Bloomberg put together that appears to be having some good success. So, if you live in that area, give him some kudos!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012...ving-birth.html

And scarily, that maternal mortality has doubled in the UK. o.O

Though, it says some of the factors are women having children while older and fatter. ugh. /needs to get on the bike this evening.

Doubled Rates

But srsly. My uterus is my uterus is MY GODFORSAKEN UTERUS. What goes on it will be my business. I wish people would understand that. :< If they want control over my uterus, well then they can damn well have the blasted thing. dry.gif

I wish I could literally give them mine. I mean, I don't want it and they obviously want to make decisions about reproductive organs, so why not let them have one?

I wish I could literally give them mine. I mean, I don't want it and they obviously want to make decisions about reproductive organs, so why not let them have one?

Thisssss.

I'm not using mine, I don't plan to ever be using mine, it's useless to me, and if they're so desperate to make decisions about it... They can take it! And all the associated annoyance that comes with it once a month.

Thisssss.

I'm not using mine, I don't plan to ever be using mine, it's useless to me, and if they're so desperate to make decisions about it... They can take it! And all the associated annoyance that comes with it once a month.

Although pro-lifers do argue that a girl can get sterilized with parental consent, or a woman in general, it's the annoying fact that the doctors can deny it because they are apparently psychic and know what's best for us.

I do understand why, though. Especially in America, Land of the Lawsuits. There are people who would be totally on board with it, then 5 or 10 years down the line be like "Actually, I want kids. I WILL SUE YOU FOR LETTING ME DO THAT".

It's a case of "a few idiots screw everybody else over", I suppose...

And I see some of their supporters say that a life shouldn't pay for a mistake. Well if it ain't the pot callin the burnt kettle black!!

I'd just like to say that rape isn't a "mistake", it's a CRIME. And the product of that crime isn't a "mistake", it's a FORCED result. No one should FORCE a rape victim to bear the result of that crime; it's like being raped TWICE.

This pretty much sums my opinion on republicans when women rights are in question. Edited by PointOfOrigin