Bear

Abortion

Oh yes, very much agree! I've been told it's because there have been cases of women who sued doctors because they got their tubes tied and then later decided they wanted a baby, which is frankly ridiculous, if you consent to the procedure and sign the forms you have no right to sue! But yes, for whatever reasons it is horribly difficult for a younger woman to get that procedure done. Doctors will outright refuse to do it on younger women. Even worse, there are doctors who insist that 'if you get married maybe your husband will want children', *that* is horrid. It's ridiculous and horrible that some doctors seem to think a *potential* future husband should have more say in the woman's medical procedures then the woman herself! 

I definitely agree that if a woman knows for a fact that she'll never want to bear a child, or would never be capable of going through the pregnancy, then she should take steps to eliminate that option, ie have that procedure. I definitely think a woman needs to be responsible enough to realize that it's better to do that procedure then to risk getting pregnant down the line and having to abort. Unfortunately, that procedure is simply not an option for many women. Doctors refuse because she's 'too young' and 'may change her mind' etc etc. Also, many insurances won't cover that at all, or only if it's deemed 'medically necessary' because of some disease or something. As much as I *never* want to get pregnant, I can barely afford rent, I certainly can't afford to pay for that procedure myself. And that's a huge issue in general when it comes to medical care, there are things that *could* be done to prevent pregnancy but it's so expensive that it's not even an option for many women, and insurances don't see it as 'necessary' so they won't pay a dime.

Edited by HeatherMarie
typo

14 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Oh yes, very much agree! I've been told it's because there have been cases of women who sued doctors because they got their tubes tied and then later decided they wanted a baby, which is frankly ridiculous, if you consent to the procedure and sign the forms you have no right to sue! But yes, for whatever reasons it is horribly difficult for a younger woman to get that procedure done. Doctors will outright refuse to do it on younger women. Even worse, there are doctors who insist that 'if you get married maybe your husband will want children', *that* is horrid. It's ridiculous and horrible that some doctors seem to think a *potential* future husband should have more say in the woman's medical procedures then the woman herself! 

I definitely agree that if a woman knows for a fact that she'll never want to bear a child, or would never be capable of going through the pregnancy, then she should take steps to eliminate that option, ie have that procedure. I definitely think a woman needs to be responsible enough to realize that it's better to do that procedure then to risk getting pregnant down the line and having to abort. Unfortunately, that procedure is simply not an option for many women. Doctors refuse because she's 'too young' and 'may change her mind' etc etc. Also, many insurances won't cover that at all, or only if it's deemed 'medically necessary' because of some disease or something. As much as I *never* want to get pregnant, I can barely afford rent, I certainly can't afford to pay for that procedure myself. And that's a huge issue in general when it comes to medical care, there are things that *could* be done to prevent pregnancy but it's so expensive that it's not even an option for many women, and insurances don't see it as 'necessary' so they won't pay a dime.

Some of that ought to change, IMO.

Like... IF a woman can get an abortion on the grounds that it is her body and she should be able to do what she wants to with it, WHY shouldn't the same logic apply here. Inconsistent IF you ask me. As I said, I personally think that the situations that lead to abortions are tragic at best and would prefer to see ways of reducing the perceived need for them.