Branwen84

Tea

Branwen, I think it means "put milk in cup before pouring tea".

Also, black tea should be prepared at 100 degrees Celsius (boiling temperature, 212 F), whereas green tea - at 80 degrees Celsius, (176 F).

Tea, hm... I prefer hot tea. Iced tea tastes bad to me. I just like plain green tea or English tea with milk and lots of sugar. I don't like those kinds with fruit flavors, either.

-What kinds of tea do you like?

Fruity stuffs. Mostly things with raspberries in it, but I can also like simple southern sweet tea. Not a Texan if you don't. :b

My faves as of now are Lipton's Bavarian Wild Berry Black tea and Mixed Berry green tea. Just simple stuff.

-How do you make them?

Dip a bag in a cup. I'm thinking about getting one of these tea pots with the built-in strainer and making my own herbal teas. I honestly do, more or less, believe in the 'healing powers' of some herbs.

-Where do you get your tea?

The grocery store, honestly. Thinking about going to this little Asian place nearby, since they usually have the best teas. Lulz.

Tea is alright. I prefer tea with fruit flavors, but that's just my personal taste. Honestly I'm more of a coffee fan anyway, but there is a tea place nearby that sells a lot of strain-it-yourself herbal teas that are-put bluntly-the best damn tea I've ever drank.

green tea only.

and even then I don't really like it. I just can tolerate it and know it's good for me.

The only way I can drink tea is with 4 teaspoons of sugar and a bunch of milk or cream. Unfortunately when I do it this way, it doesn't matter what kind of tea I'm drinking because it all ends up tasting the same. But tea by itself tastes and smells pretty bad to me.

I think I've only had earl grey, chai, chamomile, green tea, and some other weird tea that makes you go to sleep.

My favorites so far are some normal store-bought tea I had in Poland with a lemon in it (I forgot the brand and type of tea ^^; ) and Mandarin Oolong iced tea... My mom and I found some normal oolong, but I can't seem to make it taste even remotely like the one I had - does anyone have any tips on how to get tea to be stronger? I just can't stand it when my tea is too bland...

I drink a lot of Nestea, and that's pretty much about it. I'm not picky and like all flavors, though I must admit I have a weak spot for the one with berries.

@lightbird: yes, black tea is made with boiling water, but with other teas it can vary a lot. With green teas, the recommended temperature can range from 60 to 90 degrees, for white teas it tends to be 80 to 90 and for Oolongs it can be anywhere from 80 degrees to boiling, since some Oolongs are almost black, some almost green and most are somewhere inbetween.

@TalonCat: to make it stronger, I would suggest simply using more tea(you can also try letting it draw longer, but that has a chance of resulting in overdrawn tea rather then stronger tea, the two are not the same). However, since it is Oolong, it might also be that the one you have now is more green or more black than the one you had before. To fix that, you could try to mix it with some black or green tea.

My favorites so far are some normal store-bought tea I had in Poland with a lemon in it (I forgot the brand and type of tea ^^; ) and Mandarin Oolong iced tea... My mom and I found some normal oolong, but I can't seem to make it taste even remotely like the one I had - does anyone have any tips on how to get tea to be stronger? I just can't stand it when my tea is too bland...

Brew it. This is something I've noticed many people in the US have no concept off.

Boil the kettle. Pour the boiling water onto the teabag. This can either be in a pot, or in the cup. At that point... put a lid on it and leave it. The longer you leave it, the stronger it will get. It takes a while for boiling water to cool if you put a lid on it, so you needn't worry about it getting cold for the couple of minutes you need to leave it for.

Once it's brewed to taste, take the tea bag out of your mug (if you are using one) and add the milk. If using a tea-pot pour the milk into the cup first, and then pour the tea onto it.

your just probably isn't used to bland drinks...

Umm.. what? English please?

Do you mean I am used to bland drinks or not used to bland drinks?

I can assure you that I do not drink bland drinks. I am a coffee person and considering I spent quite a lot of my childhood in Spain I am used to Spanish coffee, which is pretty much strong enough to stand your spoon in. Spaniards tend to drink coffee which makes espresso taste weak.

Tea, to me, is vile stuff. Unless you are adding a generous splash of whisky. Whisky makes it more tolerable.

Tea; is vile. Nuff said.

Objection! Tea is awesome. biggrin.gif

My fav kind are lemon tea, green tea, and iced tea. i drink tea almost every day, and its good for you too. well depends on how much sugar you add. ^^;

I love tea. And since I hate coffee and am not a big alcohol drinker, tea is my drink.

I don't care for Earl Grey too much, but I love oolong teas. Sometimes I like green teas. English Breakfast is one of my favorite blends of black tea. I recently tried chai and was impressed. Sometimes I like blends with other things added for flavor, like peach tea.

I find that the quality of tea depends a lot on the leaves and the preparation. If I feel the need to add sugar to some tea, I tend to feel it's a bad brew.

I use both tea bags and loose leaf tea. I drink iced tea sometimes, but I'm picky. I won't have any lemon in it at all. I hate lemon, so that ruins it for me.

Edited by deanna_nightshade

Tea; is delicious and brilliant to drink when it's raining outside.

Nuff said.

;D

My personal opinion is that if someone doesn't like tea because it's too strong or too weak or too milky or too sweet, then they're obviously making it wrong, because everyone's cup of tea is slightly different and can be changed to suit your tastes. Unless the tea leaves themselves don't appeal to you. Then there's like billions of other types to be had. My tea, for example, is made with 2 teaspoons of sugar and is milky. My Dad's is made with no sugar and he leaves the teabag in for like three minutes.

Machine made tea is seldom nice, because they can't really follow instructions like "Squeeze the teabag" or "Put the milk in first", which is how some people like to make their tea.

O.O

*would like to take tea-making lessons*

I've never been a huge fan of hot tea, but apparently, I've never made it correctly. However, I do like sweet tea and such. Which I'm sure doesn't really count. But still.

Aherm. I'm more of a coffee fan myself, but again, apparently I've never correctly tried tea. X]

~Feathers

Love tea, in winter more than in summer. Usually something herbal (green mint, hibisk) or green tea.

I generally prefer darker teas. I like black and red teas as well as a few other kinds (I'm no expert on tea). I also like iced tea.

-How do you make them?

No art to my tea-making - just dunk the bag in water and take it out when it starts getting too bitter.

Usually accompanied by massive amounts of sugar and some milk.

Supermarket.

Brew it. This is something I've noticed many people in the US have no concept off.

I've... never heard of someone not knowing to brew tea, and I'm from the US. I have tea with a lot of friends and my family, and... how do you even make tea if it's not brewed?

As far as the rest of the topic goes, I love different flavors of tea, black, green, herbal, white, etc. My current kick is chrysanthemum that I got from China, brewed with the actual flowers. Then you add a little rock sugar in, and it's perfect. Just be careful; the longer you brew it, the more bitter it becomes.

I generally prefer darker teas. I like black and red teas as well as a few other kinds (I'm no expert on tea). I also like iced tea.

-How do you make them?

No art to my tea-making - just dunk the bag in water and take it out when it starts getting too bitter.

Usually accompanied by massive amounts of sugar and some milk.

Supermarket.

: D

We are almost tea twins!

Lets celebrate with a cup of tea!

-shot-

I've... never heard of someone not knowing to brew tea, and I'm from the US. I have tea with a lot of friends and my family, and... how do you even make tea if it's not brewed?

Yeah, same here. I can't think of how you'd make tea without brewing it.

I can see people not brewing it correctly, sure, as different types of tea have different optimal brewing guidelines.

I'm not a fan of tea for the most part, although I do like iced tea if there's so much lemon in it that the tea tastes like lemonade.

: D

We are almost tea twins!

Lets celebrate with a cup of tea!

-shot-

Coo. What specific teas do you like the most? What brands?

I love tea <3

My current favourite is Spiced Bengal from Celestial Seasonings. It's kinda hard to find because it's not very popular, but I don't know why. It's lovely. Very exotic. Lots of cinnamon in it. I have my own way of making it, too.

When I'm making Bengal, I usually set three cups of water on the stove in a saucepan with two teabags in it right away so it's gets super strong and I fill a a half gallon pitcher about half full with soymilk and ice (the soymilk because I have milk allergies) and a half cup of sugar. When the tea starts boiling, I turn it off and let it sit for about five minutes, take the bags out, and pour it into the pitcher. After a good stir, I'll pour some into a glass and sprinkle a little extra cinnamon and nutmeg on top if I'm in a fancy mood. I don't like to make it too often though, because when I make a full pitcher of it I drink it all before the day's out.

Also really, really like peppermint herbal tea. Especially when I need to relax, or have an upset stomach, or am stressed in general.

One tea I absolutely hate, though, is when my mom makes me drink dandelion root tea. Blech. There is no amount of milk or sugar that can drown out the vile, bitter, metallic taste of that stuff. I'd rather lick someone's car tires than drink that. (It's a medicinal tea for relaxing cramped muscles)

Coo. What specific teas do you like the most? What brands?

Eh. I usually pick flavors, not brands. Also, I drink any kind of tea. Green, red, white, you name it.

As far as the rest of the topic goes, I love different flavors of tea, black, green, herbal, white, etc. My current kick is chrysanthemum that I got from China, brewed with the actual flowers. Then you add a little rock sugar in, and it's perfect. Just be careful; the longer you brew it, the more bitter it becomes.

It was the biggest complaint of both my grandma and my aunt that when they first moved out to the US (1970 something). No one seemed to know how to make a decent cup of tea. I've lost count of the number of people from the US I've spoken to that seem to think you need to the bag of tea into hot water.... it just makes me facepalm. You pour *boiling* water *onto* the tea bag. Do it the other way around, or with water that's too cold, all you'll do is frighten the poor thing and get a bad cup of tea.

That said I think the knowledge of how to make a decent cup of tea may be becomeing a little more widespread. There certainly seem to be more tea drinkers in the US now than there were 20 years ago.

Re: brands I pretty much always buy Twinings tea for the stuff I drink myself. Mostly because it really does pay to buy good quality Earl/Lady Grey. We do keep a box of Yorkshire Tea in the house as well for those times when other people come to visit (only two people in my family other than me drink Earl Grey).