Branwen84

Tea

oh boy, cucumber and kiwi ?! i saw something with kiwi in the shop i just bought from, but i stuck to the usual plants i know better. and left kiwi for a more adventurous day. if you do try one of these let us know how it goes ! i'm most curious about the cucumber myself, but i don't like cucumber, in tea or not. :D

Tea update. I tried one of the teas that I had in that fancy box. It had a very minty, very hay-y scent and flavor. A good experience.

15 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

what is your opinion on boba tea here?

Never tried it myself, but it sure looks pretty!

On 8/8/2021 at 2:09 AM, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

what is your opinion on boba tea here?

If it's the same thing as "bubble tea" as we call it in my town, I guess the ones I tried where juice + pearls, so nothing to do with tea I guess. 😆

But I love it ! Still, a bit too expensive to have it on a regular basis, but fun and yummy for occasions !

15 hours ago, calona said:

If it's the same thing as "bubble tea" as we call it in my town, I guess the ones I tried where juice + pearls, so nothing to do with tea I guess. 😆

But I love it ! Still, a bit too expensive to have it on a regular basis, but fun and yummy for occasions !

yep, boba tea is bubble tea. Most of the ones here are actual tea, i've never had one that wasn't unless i specifically asked for it (i did once, out of curiosity). Yeah, it's expensive :,] like ~5 <redacted> dollars ish

8 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

yep, boba tea is bubble tea. Most of the ones here are actual tea, i've never had one that wasn't unless i specifically asked for it (i did once, out of curiosity). Yeah, it's expensive :,] like ~5 <redacted> dollars ish

Perhaps I could find some with actual tea and I'll update my thoughts here. 😋

I tried it in my (small) native town, and they have the monopoly of the market there, they are the first and only shop ! (not sure about the usage of the word monopoly here, my translator gives that but to me it's a game, but I guess that could be coherent !)

Is it originally from Japan ? 

On 8/10/2021 at 8:31 AM, calona said:

Perhaps I could find some with actual tea and I'll update my thoughts here. 😋

I tried it in my (small) native town, and they have the monopoly of the market there, they are the first and only shop ! (not sure about the usage of the word monopoly here, my translator gives that but to me it's a game, but I guess that could be coherent !)

Is it originally from Japan ? 

It is originally from Japan! There is a store in Exeter (UK) that specializes in it, but I've never had the chance to go. My younger sister (a tea expert) really likes it though.

Also, yes, that is the correct usage of the word 'monopoly' :) 

As a tea newbie, can someone explain to me what we mean by 'actual tea'? I've had a variety of responses: some exclude iced teas, some excludes herbals, some say the only teas are ones that contain "Camellia sinensis". What's the general consensus here?

Edited by EarlGreyGlitch

On 8/14/2021 at 3:08 AM, EarlGreyGlitch said:

It is originally from Japan! There is a store in Exeter (UK) that specializes in it, but I've never had the chance to go. My younger sister (a tea expert) really likes it though.

Also, yes, that is the correct usage of the word 'monopoly' :) 

As a tea newbie, can someone explain to me what we mean by 'actual tea'? I've had a variety of responses: some exclude iced teas, some excludes herbals, some say the only teas are ones that contain "Camellia sinensis". What's the general consensus here?

Normally, for me tea is a thing made from dry plants that may come from a bag, including iced and herbal tea but in my response to calona i was referring to green/black/oolong type as actual tea, things that have caffeine normally and are made from Camellia sinensis. Also 

Speaking of fake tea, has anyone here had infusion things? The ones you put in cold water? What's your opinion, i thought they were nice. 

10 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

Normally, for me tea is a thing made from dry plants that may come from a bag, including iced and herbal tea but in my response to calona i was referring to green/black/oolong type as actual tea, things that have caffeine normally and are made from Camellia sinensis. Also 

Speaking of fake tea, has anyone here had infusion things? The ones you put in cold water? What's your opinion, i thought they were nice. 

Ah, that makes sense. I can't drink caffeine so for my normal teas are mostly peppermint based.

I have heard of the cold infusion teas, but I've never tried them myself. I'd actually quite like to try them though, as I far prefer cold drinks to hot ones. Do you have any brand suggestions for a newbie?

3 hours ago, EarlGreyGlitch said:

Ah, that makes sense. I can't drink caffeine so for my normal teas are mostly peppermint based.

I have heard of the cold infusion teas, but I've never tried them myself. I'd actually quite like to try them though, as I far prefer cold drinks to hot ones. Do you have any brand suggestions for a newbie?

I'm pretty sure the main brand that makes them is twinings, if they are in your country then i'd buy theirs 

hm, i like sweet tea

i buy it from bushes

well my mom buys it from bushes since she wont let me spend my money on tea

I've just replenished my tea stocks for the coming fall and winter! I love variety, and somehow I've ended up with ... thirteen different flavors of tea in my house! Oops, lol

I've currently got english breakfast, chamomile, peppermint, raspberry leaf, lemon ginger, cinnamon apple, peach, peach with ginger & turmeric, black cherry, blueberry, raspberry, wild berry (strawberry/raspberry), and wild berry (blackberry/blueberry).

I used to drink a lot of coffee, but it was starting to have adverse effects on my health, so I've switched to tea (except on rare occasion). In the springtime, I add a spoonful of local raw honey, and it helps my allergies.

Boba tea is good, too, but the tapioca pearls they put in it are so filling, its like a full meal for me! So I don't get it too often. Around here you can have it made with fruit juice, or green or black teas. There are a lot of little local shops that sell it, as long as they've stayed in business through the pandemic.

I used to like only the fruit flavors (especially in homemade iced tea), but now that I've been drinking more tea, I really like chamomile and black tea, too. I know green tea is really popular, but its kind of a mood thing for me. Do you guys have preferences between herbal and fruit flavors?

On 8/18/2021 at 3:24 AM, EarlGreyGlitch said:

this was a while ago, but do you have any suggestions for some without caffeine? I have a family member who also can't have it

On 9/11/2021 at 2:04 AM, Aniia said:

Do you guys have preferences between herbal and fruit flavors?

My trick is to put fruit in cold herbal tea, raspberry + green/black tea is nice!

fresh fruit in tea sounds nice! I tried to make my own tea using fresh fruit once, but it didn't go well lol.

I think some herbal teas are made without caffeine, like chamomile or the tea marketed as "sleepytime". I don't remember which are which off the top of my head though. I read the packages when I buy, but sometimes I want the caffeine lol so now I've got a real muddle in my tea box!

5 hours ago, Aniia said:

fresh fruit in tea sounds nice! I tried to make my own tea using fresh fruit once, but it didn't go well lol.

I think some herbal teas are made without caffeine, like chamomile or the tea marketed as "sleepytime". I don't remember which are which off the top of my head though. I read the packages when I buy, but sometimes I want the caffeine lol so now I've got a real muddle in my tea box!

XD

22 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

this was a while ago, but do you have any suggestions for some without caffeine? I have a family member who also can't have it

My trick is to put fruit in cold herbal tea, raspberry + green/black tea is nice!

No problem! Peppermint is my favorite, but I believe most herbal teas are caffeine free. Keep in mind if you Google it that decaffeinated and caffeine free are different: decaffeinated means a naturally caffeinated tea that had the caffeine taken out while caffeine free means that there is naturally no caffeine in it. Yogi Products has a good list of caffeine free teas ( though of course they push their brand)

3 hours ago, EarlGreyGlitch said:

No problem! Peppermint is my favorite, but I believe most herbal teas are caffeine free. Keep in mind if you Google it that decaffeinated and caffeine free are different: decaffeinated means a naturally caffeinated tea that had the caffeine taken out while caffeine free means that there is naturally no caffeine in it. Yogi Products has a good list of caffeine free teas ( though of course they push their brand)

peppermint is good -w-

doesn't earl grey have caffeine in it, though? 

8 hours ago, SomeRandomCorviknight said:

doesn't earl grey have caffeine in it, though? 

Earl Grey and Lady Grey tea aren't herbal teas, they're made from black tea and therefore naturally caffeinated. Though I'm sure there are decaffeinated versions.

anything labeled as breakfast tea likely has some caffeine in it, I learned. Which is why english breakfast became a favorite so quickly, when I was trying to replace coffee lol!

I seriously had such caffeine withdrawal until I started drinking english breakfast. I didn't know that could happen lol, but it was awful, so hard to get through the afternoons at work for about 10 days.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:56 PM, EarlGreyGlitch said:

Earl Grey and Lady Grey tea aren't herbal teas, they're made from black tea and therefore naturally caffeinated. Though I'm sure there are decaffeinated versions.

XD it was because of your name

I've always been a Starbucks consumer, so I always have ordered Tea's from them.. My favorite one is the ''Iced Peach Tea''  :)

I'm a fan of "true" teas (black and green) and grain tea. Earl/Lady Grey and genmai-cha are my favorites, and I'm currently working through a box of strawberry black tea.

I'm not the biggest fan of herbal teas, but still enjoy them occasionally. Chamomile is my go-to.

The strangest tea I've tried is catnip tea. It basically tastes exactly how catnip smells and has a relaxing effect.

Does anyone remember Snapple iced teas? I haven't seen Snapple in a long time, they used to have so many flavors.

I see Snapple all the time in my town, though our selection has always been pretty limited to peach and raspberry and sometimes mango (which was more of a juice than an actual tea).

Literally days after my last post I found some Snapple in a local shop, but they only had apple, peach, and strawberry-kiwi flavors.