Branwen84

Tea

Since there is currently some ongoing change in the GD, I asked SockPuppet Strangler before creating(or rather remaking) this thread, and she told me it should be fine to keep it here as long as there is some actual discussion going on in it.

So, lets discuss about tea!

Some things we could talk about:

-What kinds of tea do you like?

-How do you make them?

-Where do you get your tea?

We can also give each other recommendations on new things to try. And I think discussion about things related to tea, like what to eat along with it or what tools to use, should be fine too.

So, to start off the discussion - after making this post, I'll go have lunch, and I'll probably have some Oolong with it. Otherwise, I am currently trying to get to know (black) tea from all the different areas of origin. Yesterday I had Assam with milk. I've also been trying, unsuccesfully so far, to find some Green Chai, for a while now.

What about you?

Tea; is delicious and brilliant to drink when it's raining outside.

Nuff said.

;D

My personal opinion is that if someone doesn't like tea because it's too strong or too weak or too milky or too sweet, then they're obviously making it wrong, because everyone's cup of tea is slightly different and can be changed to suit your tastes. Unless the tea leaves themselves don't appeal to you. Then there's like billions of other types to be had. My tea, for example, is made with 2 teaspoons of sugar and is milky. My Dad's is made with no sugar and he leaves the teabag in for like three minutes.

Machine made tea is seldom nice, because they can't really follow instructions like "Squeeze the teabag" or "Put the milk in first", which is how some people like to make their tea.

Not a tea fan (prefer coffee) but I'll drink it. I like black tea served black.

Tea; is vile. Nuff said.

your just probably isn't used to bland drinks...

me i drink any kind of tea but my favorites are milk tea and green tea biggrin.gif

i only drink milk tea at the office to wake me up then green tea at home to relax...

in terms of preparation, i use a tea bag (probably earl grey/black tea) then add a bit of sugar and milk(thus milk tea..although i still haven't tried the ready made milk tea since its too expensive for me) the other also tea bag (green tea) and a bit of sugar (and if available a drop of lemon flavor)

well that's all i can think of when tea is concerned

what about YOU? 8D

I like tea smile.gif I'm boring, though. I just buy a bunch of teabags at the store. No kinds of special tea for me. I like it very sweet. Mandarin/orange is my favourite taste at the moment.

Nothing like a pot Earl Gray tea, with Scones, Jam, "jelly" and clotted cream, Ohh yummy...

Coffee gives me Migraines can't you tell I am from England laugh.gif

I like some teas. My favourite is vanilla chai - basically Indian black tea with spices (such as cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, pepper, ginger, anais etc.) and some vanilla, I drink it sweet and with lots of milk.

Indian tea with spices and milk is generally known as chai masala. I should probably learn how to mix the spices myself, because you can hardly find a pre-mixed tea in local shops (maybe just very overpriced at the Krishna temple shop) and the mix that I currently drink was sent to me from Germany.

Oh, a tip - NEVER drink green or white tea on an empty stomach. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've had - it set my heartbeat racing and I felt nauseated and unable to sleep for the whole night after a cup of a bag green tea without eating something prior to that.

Edited by lightbird

I loooooove tea. I don't drink nearly enough of it.

My favorite for a long time was peppermint tea, but recently my friend has introduced me to blueberry. <3 Incredible stuff.

Tea; is vile. Nuff said.

Blasphemy! biggrin.gif

Personaly I like black Earl Grey with a slice of lemon.

Annie - seconded on the Cream Teas!

Hmm, I love tea. A little piece of heaven in a mug.

I'm not picky, either. I'll drink pretty much any tea that's placed in front of me. My favourites, though, are Earl Grey (milk and sugar), Mint Tea (with a bit of honey) and Robust Tea (plain).

Since I live in the desert, hot isn't very practical, so I've actually never tried it. I like iced tea, thought.

English breakfast tea, with a small teaspoon of honey. But not very often.

Normally, PG tips or whatever else is on offer cheaply at the supermarket. One cup per day, for breakfast, in my stay-warm mug.

Tea is my coffee.

I drink a cup of strong black tea (with two teaspoons of sugar) every morning before school and sometimes in the evening too.

I've never tried tea with milk/cream but it doesn't sound very good.

I only add lemon to my tea when I've got a cold tongue.gif

Oh and peppermint tea is delicious biggrin.gif

Since I live in the desert, hot isn't very practical, so I've actually never tried it. I like iced tea, thought.

Warm liquids actually quench thirst better in warm conditions than cold drinks.

Edited by lightbird

While they aren't considered true teas, I really love some of the herbal teas (especially chamomile and mint). But, I've also had some good Black and Green teas too.

Now, a vile drink to me would be a carbonated drink... or coffee.

I had some when I went to China, but I don't drink any in the USA.

Tea; is vile. Nuff said.

Seconding this. I am not a tea fan at all.

I like anything herbal. Most people think it's a nasty drink though, and of the people I know, I'm the only one who drinks tea. Coffee is the more popular drink where I live. Everyone is in love with Starbucks.

I like some herbal teas, like peppermint and fruit, but generally most of those are too bitter for me.

I don't drink coffee because I hate the taste and, also, my digestive system doesn't seem to like the phenol derivatives it contains.

Edited by lightbird

I love mango flavored tea for some reason.

I used to drink a cup every day at my grandma's house. Nobody makes tea like her.

Right, I didn't say anything about how I make my tea, I only mentioned some of the kinds that I've tried and liked.

Almost all of my true teas are loose teas, though I also have teabags of several herbal teas/tisanes. I used to try making tea from teabags, but never really succeeded in making it taste right, so I gave up on (true) tea from teabags.

The Assam is a simple broken tea from a drugstore and doesn't have specific instructions, so I just go with the "one spoon per cup" rule for that, with other teas I check the instructions for the amount and temperature. Either way I let it draw 3 minutes if it's black tea and 2 if it isn't, then remove the tea leaves.

You all remind me there are still loads of things I haven't tried yet, besides the many different kinds of tea I haven't had yet, I also have yet to try adding lemon or using cream instead of milk.

I also think that many people who say they don't like tea probably just haven't figured out how to make it right. Or they had overdrawn tea and were told it was supposed to be like that, or maybe it was made with bad water. Water can make a huge difference in the taste of tea. I'm not sure if this goes for tisanes as well, I've only noticed it in true tea so far.

Also, @Sparkeycat: I'm curious - with "put the milk in first", did you mean "boil the tea with milk", or "put the milk in the cup before the tea"?

I like tea but usually only ice tea and it is from bags in the store. I actually like making sun tea which is made with out hot water.