TJ09

Moderator Applications

Not too long ago, I would have applied. But I think I'm smart enough now to realize that I'm simply not fit for the job, no matter how much I want it. Anyway, good luck to all the applicants, and I think it's awesome that we'll be getting new moderators soon.

Edited by *~Soren~*

Seems we have a lot of repeat questions, perhaps this will help.

Q.Is there a specific form to fill out, or should we just PM why we would be fit for the job/etc.?

A. As TJ hasn't specified any requirements regarding format/style of your application (other than the PM title, and that it BE PMed, I believe) then...I think whatever you do should be fine.

Q. Are the new moderators going to be posted here, like TJ just edits his post? Or is there going to be a new topic in the news?

A. Usually it just happens unannounced.

Q. How would the new mod learn how to use the tools. Like, how to lock threads and move stuff?

A. For the tools and such, when you become a moderator, you have a whole system of more experienced moderators ready to help you.

Q.would seventeen be a too young of age?

A. it is maturity and not age that counts.

Q.Will TJ Pm The Different mods asking about us? Will He tell us how many applicants there were?

A. He gets final say, but we do see the shortened list of the people simply because we work with them on a day to day basis.

Q.I did apply, haven't heard anything back yet.

A. You will most likely not hear anything back at all. I never did. I was simply a mod one day. And since the deadline is not until Aug 23rd, do not expect anything to happen before then.

Even then, it will likely be at least a week after that, while we discuss the applicants.

Q. Mods have to be the types who are on all the time (or generally have a good time of being online) and must patrol threads every time, etc?

As well as answer to any "Reporting to MODs" PM's, right?

A. Not all the time (that's why we like generally more than one mod in each section) but being able to come on regularly definitely helps. You patrol threads, answer PMs, answer reports, jump in to stop drama or trolling, review descriptions (well, you don't have to, but it's appreciated tongue.gif), close down threads, clean threads, approve threads, ect. It may seem like a lot but when you have help, it's not really that much. I mean, I'm not constantly closing threads as duplicates or such, but you do just have to generally keep an eye out on your section/s

Q.Do past/current warns lower your chances of becoming a mod? I know the first post says they'll be taken into account, but does it lower the chances or is that just something he'll consider when choosing people? I'm just asking this to clarify. Thanks.

A.Prior/recent warns, help us to understand how a member posts/interacts with other members. So yes they will have an influence on a potential mods ability to Moderate.

Q. Does prior modding experience help your chances when applying?

A.It could, depending on where you modded and how you modded and such, but I know I had no prior modding experience and it certainly didn't count against me. I think your behavior and such here is more important than prior modding experience elsewhere.

Q.Also, does anyone know how many mods TJ is looking for?

A. No, but you can take a guess by the amount of prior mods, that ran those sections.

All Q&A taken from prior posts.

Edited by _Z_

Phew, I'm glad I could resend that. I needed to spell-check, add more detail and things, and put it into paragraph format.

Does volunteering in the community help your chances of becoming a mod? I have volunteered with my church to help out in the community. It was fun and I want to do it again =3

I'm not going to give up, just maybe submit another app at another time... if that's at all possible.

@sockpuppet

Mwahahaha....

I just resent my application with MOAR info :3

Poor TJ will have more words to read than he knows what to do with lol

But seriously, I read that the more you include the better, so I hope that improves my chances...

Volunteering in your community may or may not help. Depends why you think it would. But again, that's not something I included and I still got modded, so it's not like it's necessary for here. :3

Oh, okay. Thanks! I might just send it a 3rd time with even more information. If I can think of any. The more the merrier.

The first time I sent mine said that I would be a good mod,blah, blah, blah. I snet it a second time with more details but I still don't know if I should send it a third time, I might.

I need to ask something to the mods. About what level were you when you got picked? just wondering

Your level is only a matter of familiarity with the forum and its policies and nuances.

I have a question for if you do actually get picked.

Can you remove a poll on your own topic? On some topics I run across the problem where the poll is outdated.

I believe I was level 10 when I was modded, but not all the mods are even level 10 yet still.

Terri could remove polls on any topic but I have to go through and do it the hard way, so it seems that global mods can but section mods can't. All anyone has to do is PM me to remove a poll in the help sections. ^^

Oh, okay. Thanks!

Plus, being a help mod, I assume you would need to know this site almost inside and out.

Well in that case he has a cluttered inbox on here...

Maybe that's why we keep getting 500/503 errors-- way to overload the server, Teej. :U

Maybe that's why we keep getting 500/503 errors-- way to overload the server, Teej. :U

I've been getting them ever since the mod apps opened up.

I just decided I don't have anything that needs to be added, so I won't be re-submitting mine.

Forum errors are not moderator applications, guys. Remember the topic at hand.

How long does it normally take him to choose? In the forum update he said it would be 23-24.

Application Deadline: Midnight EST, August 23

Also,

Q.I did apply, haven't heard anything back yet.

A. You will most likely not hear anything back at all. I never did. I was simply a mod one day. And since the deadline is not until Aug 23rd, do not expect anything to happen before then.

Even then, it will likely be at least a week after that, while we discuss the applicants.

I missed the deadline, didn't I? Guess that's what happens when you leave for a couple of weeks. <.<

Edited by touketsu