Blueberry Banana Bread
By Jenn (Darklithe)
1 box Betty Crocker™ Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix (with canned blueberries included)
2 brown/heavily speckled bananas
½ container of fresh blueberries
¼ cup vegetable oil or melted vegetable oil shortening
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, Grade A Large or larger
01. Preheat oven to 400° Fahrenheit (204° Celsius).
02. Take one teaspoon of dry muffin mix and toss the fresh (DRY) blue berries with it; this will prevent them sinking to the bottom of the loaf.
03. Mix remaining muffin mix, oil/shortening, milk, and eggs as directed. There will probably be some lumps, and that’s okay. Do not mix in the canned blueberries yet!
04. Whisk squishy bananas into goo in a separate bowl and beat into the muffin batter until well blended.
05. Mix in the canned and fresh blueberries with a spatula.
06. Pour batter into non-stick loaf pan, or into greased and floured loaf pan.
07. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
08. Remove from oven and CAREFULLY cover with aluminum foil. Try to make a tent with the foil so that you don’t smoosh the top of the loaf. Use oven mitts or heat-proof gloves as that loaf pan will be hot!
09. Bake covered for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from oven again and remove foil.
11. Return to oven and bake uncovered for the final five minutes.
12. Cool in pan on counter-top for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool for another 20 minutes.
13. Slice and enjoy!
One-Ton Chocolate Cupcakes
By Jenn (Darklithe)
1 cup & 2 tbsp. cake flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/3 tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup unsalted butter (melted, slightly cooled)
2/3 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 tsp. ground Saigon cinnamon (to taste)
2 squares (very finely chopped) 90% cocoa chocolate (I used Lindt)
1/2 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (to taste)
01. Preheat your oven to 325°F and line your muffin pan with cupcake cups. I use foil-lined paper cups, because they stay pretty.
02. In a small bowl, mix together your flour, cocoa powder, ground Saigon cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
03. In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter until smooth. Whisk in the vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture in a few doses, beating until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
04. Scoop your batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven for 28 minutes or until a tester inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs attached and maybe a little melted chocolate. The tops of the cupcakes will not spring back when touched. That's assuming that yours rose. Mine did not, but God, they were good.
05. Let them cool in the pan on a rack or the stove top for 10 minutes.
06. Remove them from the pan and let them cool completely on a rack or your counter top. This is important! If you don't let them cool, they might melt the frosting, which would still be good, but very messy.
07. Top cooled cupcakes with your favorite frosting. I used cream cheese frosting. And shredded coconut. #overkill<3
Sweet Asian-Style Turkey Lettuce Wraps
By Jenn (Darklithe)
Green onions, sliced
Mix chili sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar to taste; approximately 3-4 parts chili sauce, 1-2 parts brown sugar, 1/2-1 part soy sauce, adjust to taste.
Slice green onion, add approx. one part to sauce, with 1/8-1/4 part minced garlic, whisk sauce to combine, let sit to mellow.
In castiron skillet on medium-high, quickly brown green onion, minced garlic, then add ground turkey, cook thoroughly. Set aside.
Grate carrot (in food processor), then wrap in cloth/paper towel and squeeze out as much juice as possible. Add to sauce, combine with rubber spatula.
Add turkey and pan juices to sauce, mix thoroughly. Add black pepper to taste.
If not for immediate consumption, refrigerate. Serve hot or cold with cleaned lettuce leaves for wrapping, or with sweet rolls (King's Hawaiian).