Svataben

A marker/symbol to show described dragons

I've just recently returned to DC to find that I have had a number of descriptions approved. Thanks!

But there is no way to tell if it's happened, other than looking at each individual dragon. It would be cool if there were a little d or something under Type on the scroll. Just like there is a marker for gender.

Update

- People like the idea.

- Pretty quill symbols are shown on this page, but as they are images they will slow down the site some, and TJ is not in favour. Symbols need to be a unicode symbol, like the gender and snowflake symbols are.

- Other symbols could be used (symbols, not pictures):

Paragraph symbol (¶)

alpha (α)

triangle

circle

TJ can decide the size of these symbols.

To those who see only squares:

- The missing symbols are not caused by your browser.

- It's a template/font-thing? Please tjeck pinkgothic's post and test page-link on page 3 for explanation.

- It was the same with the frozen-symbol, and I still think that even if it's all squares for those two meanings, it's still better that having to look over a hundred dragons to see if you have one approved description. (Yes, a hundred! It's hard to remember who you described a long time ago, so one forgets).

oooopoooo shows it here:

ok, i edited a screenie from my scroll to show you what i mean, in browsers that show unicode and have the right font, and those who dont:

1. IE6 (doesnt have the right font):

user posted image

2. FF (does have the right font, and is able to show the pictures):

user posted image

I really do think it's better to have some dragons with squares (and an option to fix with font/whatever yourself), than just having nothing at all.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I agree; it would be nice to have an indicator that a dragon had a description. I'd be more likely to look at more scrolls that way, just to see people's descriptions. More likely to look = more views and maybe clicks for eggs and hatchlings = good idea overall smile.gif

maybe a triangle or a circle in IE.

in FF, maybe the letter "Alpha" (in greek).

alpha: α

A: a

There was a similar thread awhile back...not sure where it went

Someone suggested little quills

I made these back then

user posted image

user posted image

If i remeber correctly someone had a much prettier one though xd.png

I wish there was an icon when a dragon is ready to breed again sleep.gif I loose track of the days too easily ^^;

This idea sounds great ^^ I might even think about writing a description...

Paragraph symbol (¶) makes the most sense for a description.

Aw, I love the quill! It really fits in with the site. I'm also all for a ready to breed sign--I'll work on one, if people like. :3

Unicode is preferable over images.

✒✑✐✏✎✍

i have no idea what you just said blink.gif

so, you mean no quills?

the options are:

quills (TJ doesnt like them)

Paragraph symbol (¶)

alpha (α)

triangle (but im not sure if its like the squeres)

circle (same like triangles)

... (could be more)

suggestions? preferables?

A unicode symbol would be better because many people already have problems loading the pages and dragon images because of their connection. Let's not make their life more complicated than it is already.

Agreed with SolarCat; that's the perfect symbol for "description enclosed!"

Dove the symbol is a hand holding a pen and ready to write.

I am absolutely gaga over this idea. I supported it 110% last time and will do so again. It would also make the approved descriptions topic much easier to manage.

I prefer the unicode hand an pen, Solar has quoted. Though I do really love Darks feather image. However if unicode is the way to do, I'll go with the hand and pen.

...I cannot see it. >_>

Me either, and that is my biggest beef with using those symbols. I don't want to HAVE to download something just to see a symbol on dragcave.

It there anyway to imbed the unicode symbols used into the actual coding? My browser at home recognises the unicode, but my one at work doesn't and a) I'm a nub, and wouldn't know how to fix it on my end, and B) my IT guy is so utterly paranoid, that I'm too scared to tinker with these computers incase he freaks and gets me fired.

Edited by theGhostWolfe

This is a pretty good idea. I think the quill would fit better with the site, but then again we don't want to slow down our scrolls other than the occasional lag because of a small image. The hand holding the pen is pretty good.