Lurhstaap

Zombie/Undead Sorting Options

This thread is majority posts wishing the other thread had been left open rather than commenting on the suggestion, so I'm going to go ahead and close this thread and direct further discussion to the new thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=177291

I looked but didn't see a thread for this. If I overlooked one, my bad!

So, it used to be that zombies would 'wander' on your scroll. Now they seem to retain their position based on what their species before dying was. For me, this is a pain in the butt because I forget which zombies I have and how many, whether I have S1s and S2s or only S1s, and so on. I'd like there to be an option in account settings I could check to cause Undead Dragons to sort as other species do, all together in a single place on my scroll, based on whatever sorting is currently in use (by species, by color, whatever, though I use by breed so for me it would be alphabetical).

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

When the change was made to sort V-day and Halloween dragons by their encyclopedia name, I was hoping that Undeads would sort by their encyclopedia name as well. I see no reason for them *not* to.

I custom sort my scroll, so this isn't an issue for me, but I support it for those who use one of the other sorts. I sort all my zombies together and would find it very frustrating to have them scattered all over my scroll. There should be some sort of option to have them sort by breed.

What I personally wish was that there was some indication of what type of zombie they are, especially when custom sorting. I customsort, but I customsort based on what sub-type they are. This means that if I ever want to sort them, I either have to wait for the 31st, or stay up longer than I want to just so that I can sort them, which is a pain.

You can't even tell what subtype they are from their page when the zombies aren't showing, you have to hope they have a lineage that shows what they might have been, otherwise you are so out of luck.

Edited by Nectaris

There was another (old but also merged) thread on zombies/undeads sorting by breed name, but it didn't bring up other sorts (like color like you did), so I went ahead and just closed it: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=153136

If they're separate ideas then can you please keep both open? Otherwise could you merge this smaller one that has no discussion to the one that I've been maintaining for months now? This is EXTREMELY frustrating. You said yourself you don't like duplicate threads and prefer the post be made on the thread that already has discussion on it- please don't close the thread where all the discussion was moved to.

Edited by bluesonic1

If they're separate ideas then can you please keep both open? Otherwise could you merge this smaller one that has no discussion to the one that I've been maintaining for months now? This is EXTREMELY frustrating. You said yourself you don't like duplicate threads and prefer the post be made on the thread that already has discussion on it- please don't close the thread where all the discussion was moved to.

Can you explain to me how these are different suggestions? As far as I can see, the only difference is that this one is not only limited to breed sort. Since yours was the merged one (and we've since stopped doing that and just closing old threads), and since you see that these are different suggestions, feel free to re-create your old thread. I can grab coding for you if need be.

~

I forgot to post my opinion, lol. Since the zombie update, knowing what the original breed is isn't as important to me, so I don't mind if zombies lose their old info and just sort as undead. (Might also make descrip modding a little clearer.)

I agree that zombies should sort together, since they now are not what they used to be. However, in another thread it was important to some people that the old breed info be retained. So if the sorting is changed I think a line should be added that indicates what breed the zombie used to be.

Can you explain to me how these are different suggestions? As far as I can see, the only difference is that this one is not only limited to breed sort. Since yours was the merged one (and we've since stopped doing that and just closing old threads), and since you see that these are different suggestions, feel free to re-create your old thread. I can grab coding for you if need be.

~

I forgot to post my opinion, lol. Since the zombie update, knowing what the original breed is isn't as important to me, so I don't mind if zombies lose their old info and just sort as undead. (Might also make descrip modding a little clearer.)

They're not different ideas, that's my point. It's frustrating to see all that discussion be closed- as per forum rules, shouldn't this thread be merged just like my old one was merged to that other one?

I agree with bluesonic. There was a lot of useful stuff in the old thread; it was still active (last post less than a month ago) and it wasn't even very long. And it was essentially the same suggestion.

But anyway - so this was bluesonic's excellent summary post:

I did some extensive searching before posting this, because I swear someone else has made mention of it before. But I couldn't find anything, so I'll give this a go.

I'd really love to see Undeads fall under Breed Sort like other dragons do, but by their actual breed name "Undead Dragon" as opposed to the breed they were before they died. I know I could use custom sorting to do it myself, but the problem with that is then after each new dragon grows up, I have to manually sort them in rather than having it auto-sort by breed like I usually do. And if I try use custom sort's breed sorting to sort those new dragons in, I have to re-sort the Undeads.

p.s. Proposing "Undead" as opposed to "Zombie" because that's their listed name in the encyclopedia smile.gif

Edit: To catch up on what's been discussed already, most of the opposition to this idea comes from users who like how Undeads currently sort as it helps them keep track of what breed they used to be. Because of this, 2 possible ideas have been proposed for how the sort should work:

1. A tick box in the "Change Sort Order" menu, under "Place Eggs and Unfrozen Hatchlings on top", that allows a user to toggle how they want Undeads to sort- by true breed or by original breed.

2. That all Undeads be sorted by true breed, but show somewhere on their view page what breed they were originally.

For those about to propose custom sort- it has already been suggested and pointed out why it doesn't work. Long story short, the custom sort is a tedious method that only half achieves what this suggestion wants to achieve. Likewise, scroll filters will not make the cut as these filter your dragons for your own view as opposed to actually sorting them.

Edited by fuzzbucket

~

Thank you for the advice, as noted in the Feedback thread, I will take it and re-create my old thread smile.gif It's a suggestion I was, and still am, very passionate about, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to be the OP again where I can keep the top post updated. I feel that at this point it is different enough from this thread, as my thread collects up all the ideas, comments and suggestions made from the now-closed old thread.

Edited by bluesonic1