Redds

Vampire Ancestry

I searched if this has been suggested before, but either I'm using the wrong keywords or it just hasn't. I honestly thought this would eventually be implemented on its own years ago because it was just intuitive and the data is already present on the website, but instead things like the 'generation indicator at the top of the lineage page' was implemented instead.

A lot of people probably might not care about Vampires, but you know how you can click the 'bitten' and 'bitten by' links to see your sire and childer? I was kind of hoping there would be an ancestry tree for vampires much like the regular lineage tree. You click on lineage and you can instantly see who the Gen1 dragons are. I want to click on an 'ancestry' and instantly see who the master vampire (original halloween dragon) is. As well as my sires, their sires, my childes and brethren.

I don't know how hard it would be to code that but since the data is already available(we just have to keep clicking back and back and back and back without knowing if we are ever close to reaching the master), and it is similar to, albeit seperate from, the normal lineage tree, it would be easy?

While I don't RP or describe dragons, this could be great for that, a community where people could find their elusive (or notorious) master, welcome their brethren, protect and expand their family of childes. There would be no such thing as inbreeding since the bite system doesn't allow for that (childes can never attack a sire or their brethren).

EDIT: Oh yes the other thing that I was waiting for but never happened, unless it was already explained before; What the dragon originally was before being bitten by a vampire. Suppose you could guess if the egg has a lineage if it would be one or another species, but say it was caveborn. It would be interesting to see a vampire that was originally a CB gold, for instance. Another aspect for RP or dragon descriptions.

Edited by Redds

Here's the original "Bite Lineage" thread if the OP would like to add it to the first post: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=132455

As well, here's the "Bitten Progeny" since you combined the ideas: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=148954

~

I'm having a little trouble picturing what you mean because that's a ton of info to stick all on one page. Are you picturing "lineage" and "progeny" on one page or have I misunderstood?

It would be nice to have a "progeny" link in particular.

(As for displaying the original breed, I don't find that necessary as the dragon is now a vamp and that's just what it is. ^^ )

Ah thank you for showing me those!

No, of course the lineage of the dragon would be just where it is now, the same as all other dragons. It would just have a -seperate- page for its vampire lineage.

Perhaps instead of a horizontal tree, have it be vertical? And since vampires all look the same as of now (disregarding that topic about vampire expansions), the sprites need not be included, merely their names and gender symbol in a list.

I'm having a hard time agreeing to whether it's a 'progeny' as opposed to an 'ancestry' or a 'lineage'(this is already taken by the site) because... if we want to get technical about all of it a vampire's sire didn't -birth- that vampire. It still would have the genes of its original parents (disregarding caveborns). So now it has a 'vampire family' and its original 'genetic family'.

I do see what you mean that it is a page that would just get progressively wider and wider for people with vamps very far down the ancestry who compulsively bite. Perhaps sections of the page pertaining to compulsive biters could be 'spoilered' off, how do I say it... like the registry of our computers? Dropdowns to dropdowns to dropdowns.

user posted image

Pretend 'my computer' is the master vampire, if a childe has bitten other vampires it would have a dropdown and so on.

I certainly DON'T want anyone to see what breed it used to be before, it's a Vampire, not whatever it was... I used CBs for a reason - so whatever it used to be can't be tracked back.

Just like I don't want to see what exactly my Undeads used to be, and I'm glad the only way to track their prior breed back is by the owner sorting their dragons by breed, since Undeads still show there. But at least nobody else can check that exept for the very owner.

I'm neutral on the main suggestion though, I don't care to see that and that clicking forever to discover the master vampire is kind of fun on its own. But I definitely want the direct bite-progeny always listed, I see the bitten are listed on mine but idk what happens if there are more of these than mine have...

I would rather not be able to tell what breed the vampire dragon used to be before being bitten, but progeny and ancestry pages are needed. I would like to see some sort of lineage viewing implemented, since it's a pain to keep on clicking link after link to find the master vampire.

It seems a lot are averse to the 'vampire origin' idea. I'm a sentimental type. If it happens that all my CB vampires were the result of Balloons because I disliked them, or if I have a tendency to use female Terraes because I think it's lovely that they gain wings from the process, whatever the reason, I'd like it to show. As mentioned, even zombies' breeds can be traced based on their location on the scroll.

"1791 was the year it happened. I was 24, younger than you are now. But times were different then, I was a man at that age: the master of a large plantation just south of New Orleans."

They were all dragons, once wink.gif

*cough*descriptions*cough* rolleyes.gif

you can note that down in there, especially as descriptions are easier to pass through nowadays than e.g. 2 years ago, and well, even if I knew what dragon breed you used I'd never ever guess why you did so by myself - if you'd like that to be showing. - Some use breeds they hate, some use breeds they love, some use breeds that are simply the easiest to grab(me!) etc. It'd be much more of use for passing such info anyway. Also to make a not to yourself so you can know what it used to be before, if you consider this of importance^^

Same with Zombies, would you tell why I, or anyone, chose particular breeds, even knowing them? (exept for the obvious 'no choice' cases like e.g. Pygmy wyverns must be made from Magelights at the moment, bred or Alpine tombstone cause "no other choice" so far), only descriptions can tell - somehow at least.

PS I also don't like Baloons xd.png they look too much like... squeektoy-plumpy draconic-shaped baloons to me instead of inflating dragons

/coughimsentimentalbuticantremembercough

If the origin of the vampire doesn't matter is pretty much like saying the 'Location' of the dragon doesn't matter. It's on your scroll now, right? Who cares where I might get that Aeon from, certainly not the Alpine! You'd have to find that out yourself! xd.png

Also since I don't have an original Vampire, my first was picked up from the AP. I'd like to know his origins, you know :3

In the end this part is just supplementary haha, and my sentimentality can be overridden by my more pressing interest in a brand spanking new vampire lineage page :9

Edited by Redds