SpyroForLife

Naming Eggs!

I haven't been on the forums in a while so I don't know if this has been suggested, but I tried going through the topics and didn't see anything about it so I figured I'd bring it up.

I personally love coming up with names for my dragons. Every single dragon on my scroll is named. And sometimes I'll grab an egg, look up the description and lore for the adult, and immediately know what I want to name it. (that's happening right now with my Halloween eggs, lol)

Except I can't name it. I have to wait at least three (or two if I use Incubate I guess) days for the egg to hatch, and then I can bestow its name upon it. By which point I'm likely to have forgotten what I wanted to name it.

Obviously this is easily solved by just writing down the name idea, but still, I just think it'd be cool if you could just immediately name the egg. I don't know how the coding works but I hope this wouldn't be too difficult to implement. It'd be nice to have a name on everyone, instead of my scroll having blank lines next to eggs.

So yeah, that's my suggestion. Thoughts?

Edit: There was an old post about this, here if anyone wants to look through it. https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=144416

Edited by SpyroForLife

i think theres a suggestion for this for leetle trees but not eggs.

i support this. it would also be nice to freeze eggs

Here's a link to the old thread: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=144416 The OP may add it to the first post if they so desire.

~

I'm not sure of the logic behind not being able to name eggs, so even though I rarely name dragons, I do support this.

Oh, thank you. I added a link to the original post.

I understand the reasoning being used on the old thread, I'm just not fully in agreement. Some have said it's because it isn't alive yet, but... doesn't the page for every single egg say "Unborn dragons are actually ready to hatch early on in their development cycle"? So odds are there's already a living critter in your egg, it just hasn't emerged yet. But that's getting into technicalities I suppose.

But it could be compared to naming a baby that hasn't been born yet. Sure it's not official but plenty of parents already have a name in mind for their child before they ever actually see it and will refer to it using that name. And then once it's born, if the gender doesn't fit, then they can just change it. Same for eggs. I see no problem in naming them before they hatch, and if it doesn't fit, changing the name. Not to mention people that just tend to name everything, even inanimate objects. Which I did with my stuffed animals growing up.

As for having plenty of time to name them once they're hatchlings or adults, yeah, that's true. In that case why be able to name hatchlings? You can just wait for them to be an adult, right? But I don't really think that far into it. It's a new dragon on my scroll as far as I'm concerned and I would like to give it a name just like the rest of them. That's all.

Obviously it's not a big deal if this doesn't get implemented, I've gotten along just fine so far, I just thought it'd be neat. I'm not sure what else to say so I'll leave it at this for now. I'd love to see everyone else's input.

I think I'll support this. The system of not naming eggs made a lot more sense back when names were permanent, but now that you can change the name I don't really see a reason not to.

I'd like to be able to name [and freeze] eggs; I hate using other dragons as name holders for a specific egg I have in possession if I already know what I want to name it [i want to be able to freeze eggs in order to have a more complete collection of sprites on my scroll]. Full support +1

I'd like to be able to name [and freeze] eggs; I hate using other dragons as name holders for a specific egg I have in possession if I already know what I want to name it [i want to be able to freeze eggs in order to have a more complete collection of sprites on my scroll]. Full support +1

This. I agree fully. Plus, this would also help in times of holidays when people are frantically trading and dropping eggs, by naming the egg, the person might realize in time that that is actually the egg they want to keep and not accidentally drop or trade away. I know for me it would be a huge help >.> I've accidentally traded or gifted or dropped an egg I didn't mean too more than once.

[Freezing eggs would be cool too, though I'm not as gung ho on it as being able to name them. But I would love more complete collection of sprites as well]

I'm neutral either way, though having TJ implement egg naming would be a pleasant surprise in the future. I read through the old thread and saw that people were saying "no", usually giving the reason that "having no gender/not being born yet" as an excuse for not naming... though I don't really see the connection there? If I raised chickens for a living, I would name them even while still in the egg. Eating chicken eggs, that's a different matter, because psychologically that would be every reaction from unsettling to downright disturbed and broken up about it. But we're raising dragons, not eating them, so naming eggs seems logical to me even if you're unsure of the dragon's gender or subtype because it hasn't hatched yet. PF13 also pointed out that names can be changed now, so if the dragon did turn out different from what you expected you can always change the name later (provided it hasn't already been taken by then). As for freezing... I'm not sure how that changes how qualified an egg is for naming either. xd.png

I wouldn't be upset if this wasn't implemented, but I do support the idea. Giving names earlier can help when you have a cool name idea that you don't want to forget, or even be used to label eggs the way we label adult dragons with "CB"/"Bred".

plus plently of people name their kids while they're still in the womb. and i personally when raising quail i would incubate the eggs and name them even though the chicks werent born yet. same with praying mantids, chickens, fish, etc

the excuse that we dont know the gender yet is now invalid with influence, precognition, and being able to change names.

the excuse that it hasnt been born yet is a weak and stupid excuse imho

Definitely agree! I see nothing wrong with naming an egg. I also like to collect one sprite of each (got a long way to go) and being able to somehow freeze an egg would be pretty cool since your collection could be bigger and more complete.

Personally, I had the name for my daughter chosen while she was still in the womb. Heck, I even had a just-in-case name for a boy, even though I was sure that she was going to be a girl. So, full support for naming eggs.

Okay, RL isn't always the best point to use when arguing about game mechanics. But even game-wise, I see a couple of things to argue with:

• Being able to name eggs, you don't have to remember the name for at least two whole days before you can actually use it.
  • You cannot accidentally teleport or abandon named hatchlings, and I'd assume the same to be true for eggs. This will help us avoid awkward moments where we "lost" an egg we actually intended to keep.
  • Names are easier to memorize than names, so having named eggs will make it easier for us to influence correctly. Or use any other BSA or standard action we deem necessary.
  • We'd finally be able to name our leetle trees. wub.gif

Frankly, I see no downside to this, but a number of smaller reasons to implement this.

you can abandon named hatchlings nowadays, its been that way for a while

Since names don't get removed anymore if something dies/abandons I don't support naming of the live eggs... dry.gif

I would support this if we could freeze eggs though smile.gif

Everything from this xd.png

I'd also like to be able to name eggs.

Especially now we have not only the Influence but the Precognition too, it makes sense for the dragonkeepers we are to be able to write the name near the picture of an egg too:D

Support, I think no more justification is needed:P

Since names don't get removed anymore if something dies/abandons I don't support naming of the live eggs...

I've read recently that sb is now re-using names they used for failed Zombie fodders a year ago, not sure about the change though...

Well, that can be easly solved by making the names of dead things available again as soon as the tombstone disappears rolleyes.gif Which whould also solve the current issue with the adults and hatchlings taking their names to the grave and beyond:)

Edited by VixenDra

Since names don't get removed anymore if something dies/abandons I don't support naming of the live eggs... dry.gif

I would support this if we could freeze eggs though smile.gif

Abandoning a named hatchling erases its name.

Well, that can be easly solved by making the names of dead things available again as soon as the tombstone disappears rolleyes.gif Which whould also solve the current issue with the adults and hatchlings taking their names to the grave and beyond:)

Not quite. Tombstones in lineages NEED to keep their names. wink.gif

http://dragcave.net/lineage/73DVe

It would be easy enough to at least make it so that dead things that never had any children would lose their names, which would be especially true of named eggs and hatchlings that died.

Ohh, I didn't realize that back when the old thread was made, names were permanent. That definitely makes sense then that people would want to wait on it and naming while your dragon was still in its egg was pretty risky. But as has been pointed out, now that names can be changed it's not that big a deal anymore. Thanks for the insight!

And I see others agree on me with naming creatures that haven't been born yet. It's done all the time. And for eggs it's just nice to get one, think of its name right away, and then be able to name it instead of having to wait.

I feel like freezing eggs is an entirely different discussion but if that were possible then it would definitely be good to be able to name them. Also it'd be adorable to give my Leetle tree a name, I didn't even think of that when I made this thread but I'd like to do that too. :'D

Just going to put in my support for this. It'd be very useful, not only to make me keep up with naming my dragons *continues being angry at self for having about an entire page of unnamed dragons* but also for labelling.

I actually thought of this thread because I just picked up a Skywing egg from the AP that I plan to use for zombie fodder, and I want to name it to indicate my plan.

I'm totally for this.

It would actually be beneficial imo, because I always think "I'm totally naming this dragon Coolname when it hatches!" fast forward a couple days to it being hatched, and I've totally forgotten what I wanna call it xd.png

Plus it makes it easier to keep up with naming.

I can't see any downside to being able to name eggs, because it's quite simple that if you don't want to name a dragon before it's hatched, then don't. But think of it this way - when having a child ect, irl, or planning to adopt a pet, you always think of names before it happens. tongue.gif

Plus, this would also help in times of holidays when people are frantically trading and dropping eggs, by naming the egg, the person might realize in time that that is actually the egg they want to keep and not accidentally drop or trade away. I know for me it would be a huge help >.> I've accidentally traded or gifted or dropped an egg I didn't mean too more than once.

Ten million times this for me. I would love to name eggs to eliminate the chance of me throwing them away in error. I have done this more times than I care to think about.