MessengerDragon

Full action log!

During DC's anniversary, we got the ability to see our full action log, which really excited a lot of people. Then, someone made a suggestion for a filtering system, or maybe the ability to delete things if we wanted. Most people commented saying that filtering sounded like a good idea, but were neutral on the idea of deleting, since they didn't feel they were likely to delete anything.

Then TJ posted, and said:

I think the main thing I'll do here is go back to limiting it to 30 days.

I don't think the ability to go back to 2012 is super valuable, especially at the cost of having 154 pages.

Many people said it was a good compromise, but personally, I'm very disappointed by the decision. I don't see how those extra pages are harmful - if you don't need 'em, don't click 'em.

I have seen that there are many people who agree that having the full action log is really nice, you can check any action you ever took, no matter when it was. Also a nice history thing, checking what happened to first dragons, etc.

So, if you agree with me that a full action log is a great idea, please post! If you can explain why a full action log could be harmful, please post too, we'll hear you out.

Total 100% support. I loved seeing what i did with my very first dragon. I was very disappointed when it disappeared

Edited by WaterDroplet

I support this!

I never got a chance to look at what happened earlier (as mine only goes a few pages back now), and I really want to see what some of the first things I did was!

I mean just like you said, if you don't want it, don't use it!

While I think peeking back to what I did with my first dragons would be neat, I'm fairly neutral on the idea. At most, I can see this taking up a lot of unnecessary server space. While I doubt individual entries eat up too much, or even the full action log of one single scroll, between all players it might start adding up.

Most of what I've seen is people wanting to go back and look at their logs near the beginning of time on DC anyway, and it feels to me as if most of the pages in between would still go unlooked at by the majority of players. Filtering might alleviate that some, but probably not enough to justify putting the whole set of logs back.

I can't speak for TJ obviously and I don't want to disparage those who'd still get a kick out of the full action log, but I really wouldn't be surprised if preserving server space was a big factor here.

Edited by ~Magpie~

As mine didn't go back to the beginning in the first place, (only 2012) AND most of the older stuff was corrupted. IE wrong dragon doing incubate/influence or wrong name. I can not possibly see why you would need that info or how it could be useful to maintain at all. I had 37 pages of crap I was never going to look at, why take up that much server space for no reason?

30 days is more than enough time as it tells you anything you could possibly still find relevant.

I've posted this in the other thread already, posting the same here: I did actually use the old data in the short time we had access to it. I was able to find out which one my unzombified but revived vampire from 2014 was and rename it accordingly so I don't use the same dragon for zombie fodder again (because it will desintegrate if it has been killed and revived before).

Also, I see why people prefer a short action log, and there have been posts about action logs with 20+ pages for the most recent 30 days only. That's why I'd like to have both, a short action log with access to the most recent data, and an archive for the older ones, ideally with filters or the ability to search (for a dragon name, dragon code or action name).

I can't speak for TJ obviously and I don't want to disparage those who'd still get a kick out of the full action log, but I really wouldn't be surprised if preserving server space was a big factor here.
I doubt that server space is an issue - the data is obviously saved somewhere anyway, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to give us access to it wink.gif

30 days was always the intention. It just accidentally launched with a larger number.

Most actions going back aren't logged as fully (e.g. actions performed by a dragon on an egg only logged the dragon, not the egg), and that results in them not rendering correctly. Having a sliding window means that I'm not forever tied to the format things used in the past, or have to maintain different versions of the same rendering.

As mine didn't go back to the beginning in the first place, (only 2012) AND most of the older stuff was corrupted. IE wrong dragon doing incubate/influence or wrong name. I can not possibly see why you would need that info or how it could be useful to maintain at all. I had 37 pages of crap I was never going to look at, why take up that much server space for no reason?

30 days is more than enough time as it tells you anything you could possibly still find relevant.

I agree. I joined in 2009 so I was excited for the really long action log, but when it came out, it only went to 2011. A lot of the information at the very last end pages was corrupted with dragons that no longer existed or linked to dragons on other people's scrolls. I understand that these were not intentional issues, but I also do no see a need to go "all the way back" if it's not truly all the way back or if there are obvious glitches in the data that's been stored.

30 days was always the intention. It just accidentally launched with a larger number.

Most actions going back aren't logged as fully (e.g. actions performed by a dragon on an egg only logged the dragon, not the egg), and that results in them not rendering correctly. Having a sliding window means that I'm not forever tied to the format things used in the past, or have to maintain different versions of the same rendering.

Could you do 90 days? Reason being, Vamps have a cooldown of 31 days.... by going to 60 days or 90 days, you'll be able to catch the time of every BSA you've used. As it is, we're missing Vamps. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I understand about the moving window, but we've got at least 2 dragons with longer BSA cooldowns, and I'm sure we'll get more eventually, so to me it would make sense to have a longer moving window. Not as long as at first, but longer.

I think a large part of the reason people want filtering and such is because it can be tiring to page through page after page after page of "abandoned egg".... to get to the 7 influences you did the day before... but because you'd forgotten when you did them, you still had to page.

Mind, the Actions Log is far, far more valuable now! So even if you don't increase the window, its a really nice improvement, but I do think a longer window would be nice, because.... we really can't see Vamps on that last day. rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

C4.

If there's a person I wouldn't want to be, that's TJ. His intention was for us to have a 30 days long log. Instead we got the whole thing and immediately proceeded to ask for filtering, specific actions and the works. He gives us the intended log and... we aren't happy. I'm giggling here, this place is too funny.

No thanks.

I think asking for two or maybe three months is okay, but I don't really see why the full action log is all that necessary. The one thing I saw people mention is that they could find dragons they'd done for previous zombie attempts that failed so they wouldn't waste a kill re-trying them, but I think we could come up with a better solution for that than the full action log.

I think asking for two or maybe three months is okay, but I don't really see why the full action log is all that necessary.

Less about necessary, more about nostalgia imo. Not gonna lie, the ability to look all the way back was pretty cool even if it wasn't completely accurate. I would've liked just a little more time to take a walk down memory lane; with 10k actions to go through, I didn't manage more than a few pages before we dropped back to 30 days.

I understand where TJ's coming from on wanting the ability to update stuff behind-the-scenes without breaking everything, though, so (regretfully) no support for a full log. I could maybe get behind a 31-day log or 60-day log for vamp tracking, but that's it.