Obscure_Trash

Add Generation Count to View Page

I thought this had been a suggestion before, but I couldn't find it. So, fresh start!

One of the complaints about the new lineage view is that it's harder to count generations in long (particularly messy) lines. Even with the old view, we only have so many generations displayed on one page, so sometimes the lineage could be longer than you realized unless you checked all the parents.

It seems to me that there's a pretty easy solution to this. Have the cave do the count and then add this information either to the view page, the lineage page, or both. Whatever is preferred.

Here's an example. This dragon from one of my inbred lines (using as an example because it is easier to count its generations than a messy dragon) is 9th gen. But due to the spacing of the lineage, it's now a little harder to count and confirm this than it was with the old view.

So here are the two simple ways to fix this that I'm thinking of.

Add the generations count to the view page:

user posted image

OR

user posted image

(with less obvious copy'pasta'ing of colors and matching text, lol)

(Either a new field or just adding it to the view lineage link. I don't really have a preference myself. Looks fine in the link, though, so that might be nicer than messing up the spacing of the columns again.)

A ruler count has been added to lineage pages as of Aug 14, 2016!

Add the generations count to the lineage page:

https://i.imgur.com/xWsmW63.png ~Linked for size!

(with a more fitting text size of course)

(I chose the left side for the count so it would never interfere with dragons displayed on the right.)

This definitely makes sense to have on view pages, and probably lineage pages.

For lineages, would a ruler work?

e.g. when you're viewing a 20th gen egg (AKA generations 20-9), there'd be a thing at the top like

|------20-------|------19------|------18------ ... ------8------|

So, thoughts? Which would you prefer? Do you have another solution for easily counting generations? See any potential issues with this?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Found the other thread: Boop.

I like the second example better, but I would not mind either one. I agree that it might be harder to keep track of lineage lengths with the new layout and having the lineage length easily stated would certainly help people who are interested in knowing what lineage dragon they're working with.

Aaah, they suggested on the breeding page. No wonder I couldn't find it. I was convinced they'd suggested it be on the lineage page. Heh. Thanks for finding that! Debating on if merging makes sense or not.

I like the first type (on the description page), with the "View Lineage (9th Generation)" rather than a new field. Having it on the lineage page looks a little distracting to me, but I assume I'd get used to it before long. On one hand the first might be more convenient since the breeding page sprites link to the description page, but on the other hand if it's not CB and you're unsure of the lineage you'd probably be going to the lineage page anyways. So I'd be fine with either one, it's much more convenient than counting dragons.

Great idea. I wished many times that was possible when I was breeding for the Notice Board and needed to avoid breeding dragons with different generations. I prefer the first option, I think it is more readable but I would not complain if the other is chosen.

I'd really like to see something like this. I don't really care what format it takes, but I'd love to see something that counts the generations and displays it somewhere. Either on the dragon's page or the lineage view. This would be so useful.

I'd really like to see something like this. I don't really care what format it takes, but I'd love to see something that counts the generations and displays it somewhere. Either on the dragon's page or the lineage view. This would be so useful.

I really really would prefer to have the counter on the View page. If I'm breeding 40 rares (to obtain half dozen) and the counter is on the Lineage page, that's one additional page to open for every dragon.

I really like this idea. I think I prefer to have it on the view page, too.

To determine the number of generations in this dragon's lineage might have taken me all day, but for AoND's generation counter. I would love love love to have such a count done automatically for me by DC itself.

Wonderful idea! I think I enjoy having it in the link to view the lineage the best but any option would really be fine with me and I'd adapt to it. I had a couple times where I miscounted generations and bred the wrong dragons ^^;

Support. We need a better way to count generations. I'm not overly picky about what form that takes, although I have a mild preference for the view page because of this:

I really really would prefer to have the counter on the View page. If I'm breeding 40 rares (to obtain    half dozen) and the counter is on the Lineage page, that's one additional page to open for every dragon.

I really like this idea. smile.gif

Definite Support!

I would absolutely love this to take place.

Definite support. I've come to realize that I have some 24th-and-farther lineages, and it would be nice to know that at a glance. On the view page, connected to the "lineage" link looks nice enough.

/throws all my support at this/

I wouldn't mind it being on the breeding page either, but now that we can click to those dragons from the breeding page I don't know that it's necessary anymore, but it certainly would be convenient. Mostly Iwant it on the front page so I don't have to count three times to confirm, like I had to even with the old lineage look, and yeah the lineages that are so huge you have no idea just how big they actually are, like this whiptail I just picked up.

Great suggestion, 100% support. I vote for having the counter in the View page and I like SockPuppet Strangler's first mock-up, it is clear and to the point.

e.g. when you're viewing a 20th gen egg (AKA generations 20-9), there'd be a thing at the top like

That sounds like it might work. And it would be a big help for some of us. Like when you're dealing with high genetation arrows or messies or teo spirals mated together.

I like that idea! I wouldn't mind if it wasn't on the front/dragon page if we have that, it seems very clear, straightforward, and extremely helpful!

Oooh, yes, I like that way better than what I had.

I love the idea of the ruler. So much easier for long or messy lineages.