Cinspawn

Feedback on new mobile site layout

There was a want/need for a separate topic, so here it is.

What do you think of the new mobile layout? Please try to keep comments constructive.

Here's what it looks like compared to the old layout (Thanks Shokomon for the images!)

(Note: LEFT side is OLD, right side is new)

Cave (main) page:

user posted image (Note that the info on top with the dragon sprite is only seen when logged out)

View Dragon Page:

user posted image

Biome page:

user posted image

The menu:

user posted image

Time Reference page:

user posted image

Photobucket slideshows with more pictures: Old Layout and New Layout

--

My main issue with it is that the accent colors are blue, and in my opinion they should be red like the dragon cave logo. I feel red/(off)white have always been DC's colors.

Other than that, I like it.

Edited by Cinspawn

I like it. My phone is annoying and struggles to load things, and it seems to like the new layout a lot better. I can bring up the menu easier, and it seems to move from page to page faster.

I also like how all the various things are in separate sections. It's nice and easy to read.

I will agree with you that the blue is a little weird, but maybe that will be tweaked if we talk about it? Red would look more in keeping with DC's overall feel.

The mobile site has always used blue as its accent color (though the previous blue was more cyan). Red looked a bit aggressive (it's often used primarily for errors, so a lot of things looked like something broke) and more importantly, monotonous.

The mobile site has always used blue as its accent color (though the previous blue was more cyan). Red looked a bit aggressive (it's often used primarily for errors, so a lot of things looked like something broke) and more importantly, monotonous.

Oh, I didn't know that. Even with the crimsoney red from the logo, though?

user posted image

I personally think it doesn't look error-y. But in the end it's just a color/aesthetics, the most important thing is how the layout works and I have no complaints in that regard smile.gif

What I find the most annoying about the new mobile layout is where the menu is at the top. It is too close to the left side. It took me a bit to even find it and now it's all smooshed in the corner and partially hidden by the logo. That is the biggest thing I would say needs fixing. It should have stayed in the right corner away from everything.

{Edit2: Snip! Sorry about making a copy thread. I missed this thread when I was making my own version.}

Earlier, when I still had the old layout, I took screenshots of the old and new Mobile website layouts for comparison and posted them to the thread here. The post got deleted, but I still have the pictures. I will post some screenshots as well as the full sideshows below of the old and new Mobile layouts.

(Note: For most of the NEW layout screenshots, I am Logged OUT. For the OLD layout screenshots, I am Logged IN.

- Now that I have the new layout active on my account, I'll take some screenshots for the Dragons and Accounts page and upload them later.

Dragon Cave Old Layout Screenshots: Slideshow

Dragon Cave New Layout Screenshots: Slideshow

Here are some examples:

{Note: OLD layout is the first image. NEW layout is the second image.}

(EDIT: Images are now links because photobucket won't let me hotlink. Those BUTTS. Click blue and orange text for images.)

- Cave (Main) Page: Old Cave Page - New Cave Page

- View Dragon Page: Old View Page - New View Page

- Biome Page: Old Biome Page - New Biome Page

- Menu Page: Old Menu Page - New Menu Page

- Time Reference: Old Time Reference Page - New Time Reference Page

--

Now, for discussion!

If anything, I, REALLY, like the new menu. The drop down menu always annoyed me, because it covered up everything.

The dragon name on the View page is just as much an issue here on the mobile as it is for the PC. I don't like it. It's too big, especially for long named dragons. It'd be better if it was smaller or NOT THERE AT ALL. I do like how things are sectioned off though.

The Time reference page is a BIG issue for me, as I look at it on my phone regularly (especially when making updates to the DC Moon Watch Thread on the go). I really don't like the new layout because everything is looks the same. While they line up better, all the text looks the same. It's harder to distinguish heading from each other. They all kinda run together. The black bold letters were easier to see and clearer to distinguish from the body text.

• - Also, while I like the fact that the phrase "Moon Phases" is bigger, the divider line really helped separate the seasons and time of day info from the moon phase info. I want the divider line back. Or at least spacing in between the "Time of Day", "Season," and "Moon Phases" lines.

--

Edit: Tried to embed the slideshow. Didn't work.

Edited by Shokomon
Images broken

As I said in the other thread, I don't like the cog and link images only for access to the actions and link options, respectively. The links are easy enough to figure out. The cog as a stand-in for actions is not if you are not relating it with the cogs on the main site. I got the mobile site before the new main computer site, so I was at a loss for how to find the actions at first.

On the other thread I was mostly positive but still adjusting but on the mobile OMG I LOVE IT sooo9 mucho easier abd cleaner. I don't play on a super jumbo bigger than my hand phone so idk if that makes a difference but love love it.

I love it so much makes my life so mucho easier and cleaner. A+++ IDK How many people are super excited about it but if there is a request for specifics I'm happy to go thru them later.

Edited by natayah

I updated my Slideshow found here with new screenshots featuring what certain pages look like (ex: the 'Dragons' page and the 'Accounts' page) in the new mobile layout looks when you are logged IN.

Though now comparing the logged in 'View Dragon' Pages:

Edit: Images linked because Photoshop is mean - (Click to open link) Old Layout Link; New Layout Link

(Old Layout is the first image. New Layout is the second image.)

- I can see why the cog and chain images can be annoying. I think I liked the words better. It might be better if they had the word underneath the image, and if the images were smaller.

- I still really don't like the big ugly bar with the name in it. It should be smaller. Or at least, the text should be smaller.

- I think the overall look is better though. The same for the rest of the layout.

(Except the Time reference page. *hisses*)

- And I still really like the Menu. Though I agree that the button for the Menu could be bigger and more visible.

{On a side note, does anyone have a "Scroll Page" image for the old layout? I mean a screen shot when you are looking at someone else's scroll. I lacked the foresight to take a picture of that, so I have no comparison pic for one in the new layout.}

Edited by Shokomon
Images broken

I think the mobile site should be as simplified as possible. That's what we want right, just quickly check on our dragons.

I also think the menu bar is too far on the left and the buttons should be bigger. Actually all buttons, where you must choose/click on something, could be a lot bigger since we can't zoom.

I would also love if the biome buttons were a bit more separated on the biome selection page (not the front page). Now you just easily click the wrong biome. Could they be like lined buttons or something?

Thank you for updating the mobile site so that the eggs appear next to each other in the biomes. It eliminates the possibility of descriptions being cut off because of length.

Echoing Jazeki, I really love how the cave looks on my phone now. A lovely and much needed change!

Is there a way to make the DC logo not so big on lineage view? I like to click the offspring's tile to go back to its page, but every time I do, it triggers the menu because I'm inadvertently clicking the logo.

Edit: it has gone back to the way it was before. Thanks, TJ.

Edited by Jazeki

As mentioned in the thread here, could we add back the group icon to the view page for mobile user?

59d160d6b0c5f_Capture_2017-10-01-17-39-48.thumb.png.4c9a6ac784fc982ee9a8c690905d40d4.png

That would make things easier for anyone using it and needing to group a dragon.

57 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

As mentioned in the thread here, could we add back the group icon to the view page for mobile user?

59d160d6b0c5f_Capture_2017-10-01-17-39-48.thumb.png.4c9a6ac784fc982ee9a8c690905d40d4.png

That would make things easier for anyone using it and needing to group a dragon.

This is a bug, which I thought I've mentioned somewhere, but I guess I was mistaken.

Regardless, I'm going to close this thread, since it's not a "new" mobile layout anymore, and general undirected threads tend to leave valuable contributions buried.