First of all, forgive me for the typo in the poll, and secondly, let me explain before you walk away, ok? I really want to have at least one of each egg to complete my dragon collections. My overall goal is to have one of every available kind - gotta dream big right? But to me that means every kind of sprite, and I can't keep the egg sprites. Also, I just really like dragon eggs, and wish I could keep some of them around longer. I totally understand people not wanting to essentially kill a dragon by not allowing it to ever hatch, especially people that worry gifted dragons would be frozen as eggs. This would disrupt game-play for many people, especially gifters, so I'm not talking about freezing eggs.

What I'm suggesting is that we have a way to keep the sprites for eggs without an attached lineage, so that people don't have to breed for eggs to freeze them. The eggs would be separate from the nest, just fun pictures to collect. The nests would go beneath the hatchlings when sorted by age. So, if you collected a male, female, some frozen hatchlings, and a nest, it looks like you have a cute little dragon family of all ages! biggrin.gif

But how would this work? Well, what if a certain kind of dragon could be able to "build a nest", only once per species found on your scroll, with a two week cool-down period, and later add to that nest with egg sprites for that species. Basically, first time use makes the nest, second time when applied to the same species makes an egg appear in the nest, up to five eggs, so up to six uses per species per scroll. Or, to simplify things, first time makes the nest, second time put an egg/s in it and that's it. Having to slowly fill the nest would be more fun, and multiple eggs vs. just one would look better, but I imagine the second options would be easier for coders and artists.

The nests could look different depending on several factors, or just look like a traditional nest. To make the art load smaller I would suggest having a different looking nest per habitat, then only being able to choose what type of nest you want from the habitats that species can be found in. I don't know about you, but I would love to see some Pink Dragon eggs in a volcano or jungle nest. It would just look cool.

Another option could be what stage of hatching the eggs look like they are in, and to have alt colored eggs available when applicable. They never become dragons, so having a nest a with all four Lunar Herald or all three Pyralspite dragon eggs would merely be a fun, aesthetically pleasing addition to your collection. However, this would only be applicable if the nests could have more than one egg. Except for the hatching stage, which I personally find more important since the artists did such a good job at making that look awesome, and it would add more to the nests' visual appeal, especially if you had multiple eggs at different stages.

What about naming the nests? I don't know if it would make the coding simpler or more complicated if we could, so I vote for whichever is easier for the coders. It would be fun though, since you could name then after your favorite dragon breeding pairs. Something like "The Grand Nest of Spitfire and Blueberry" which I think sounds majestic and cute at the same time. Or, they could automatically be called Gold-horned Nest, Daydream Nest, etc. Or you could name them "__Insert Username's__ Daydream Nest" which is simple but still cool sounding. There are many possibilities.

So what do people think? Cool idea, possibly workable idea, horrible idea, what? I'm excited to hear what you think.

Edited by TricksterWhiskers13

This would certainly appeal to the "OMG no killing EVAR" people, but it seems a little over-complicated to me. The fact of the "nest" also cuts off the bottom of the sprite, which I don't like. If we're going to collect eggs the sprites should be basically unchanged from real eggs. I don't like the idea of having eggs that don't actually exist (eggs colored to match alt species that only differentiate upon hatching).

Also, let's talk mechanics for a second. Where are these images of eggs actually coming from? You create a nest and can magically fill it with eggs that don't exist, doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, yes our scroll is in theory a real scroll that we are drawing pictures of dragons we own on to record our dragon collecting, so in theory we could draw whatever we want on the scrolls. But at the same time we so far have been very strict about only recording what we actually have. This suggestion changes the very nature of our scroll from a strict recording of facts to partial fantasy. At that point what's to stop us from drawing six dozen gold dragons that don't exist because we want to? Yes, that's kinda silly, but the point is still valid. Why would we suddenly change the natures of our scrolls from a strict recording of fact to include fantasy eggs?

Even though a portion of the userbase might refuse to use it (but a portion of the userbase also refuses to freeze hatchlings), I think any egg collecting method has to involve physical eggs. For most, this involves us doing something to the egg to kill it (or eternally trap the hatchling inside in a suspended state which might as well be killing it). The more acceptable method of this type would be to have a way of breeding two dragons and producing an infertile egg. There was never a living dragon inside it, so there would be nothing to stop us from poking a hole in the top and bottom and draining the contents and having a nice egg shell for our collection. The downside is it only can be done for dragons that can reproduce (ie no cheese, paper, dinos, neglecteds, etc). (this infertile eggs suggestion is not something I came up with and has a thread somewhere)

The more acceptable method of this type would be to have a way of breeding two dragons and producing an infertile egg. There was never a living dragon inside it, so there would be nothing to stop us from poking a hole in the top and bottom and draining the contents and having a nice egg shell for our collection. The downside is it only can be done for dragons that can reproduce (ie no cheese, paper, dinos, neglecteds, etc). (this infertile eggs suggestion is not something I came up with and has a thread somewhere)

This is what I'd prefer - though by a BSA, as it isn't something I would ever use, and I wouldn't wish to get infertile eggs when trying to carry on lineages. Or the painted rocks suggestion - they look just like eggs but aren't. There's a thread for that too.

But as to nest display - IF this suggestion ever saw the light of day - make it so that there is a nest - but you have to CATCH the eggs to put in it in the usual way. Then you can choose to "add to nest" (with confirmation popup, as this would be a forever thing !) and once in there, they'd stay there (no permission for second thoughts here !) and would never grow or hatch. And that nest could be viewed through a link on your scroll or opened at the top of your scroll.

Only con - you couldn't display each egg along with the rest of its breed.

To be honest, I don't understand where the eggs in the nest would come from - created out of nothing by a BSA? And would this be a BSA added to a single dragon breed, and this dragon would then build nests and magically create never-growing eggs for all dragons on your scroll? Doesn't really convince me, but I might change my mind wink.gif

To be honest, I don't understand where the eggs in the nest would come from - created out of nothing by a BSA? And would this be a BSA added to a single dragon breed, and this dragon would then build nests and magically create never-growing eggs for all dragons on your scroll? Doesn't really convince me, but I might change my mind wink.gif

As I suggested - you could have to catch them in the usual way and then add them to your nest. No BSA needed, just an extra link on the actions page. No backsies, either - once in the nest, there it stays.

Fuzz, that suggestion rather re-introduces the egg-killing problem. You are taking an egg that would otherwise hatch and grow and doing something to it that would prevent it from doing that. At that point you might as well have one of the more explicit egg killing "freezing" suggestions and dump this "nest" over-complication.

Fuzz, that suggestion rather re-introduces the egg-killing problem. You are taking an egg that would otherwise hatch and grow and doing something to it that would prevent it from doing that. At that point you might as well have one of the more explicit egg killing "freezing" suggestions and dump this "nest" over-complication.

Not so sure. You could just be discovering it is infertile ? And it DOES get over the imaginary eggs issue.

I don't like this idea particularly - but I was trying to find a] a way to make it work and b] if we are ever going to be able to collect eggs, a way to put them on a separate page, as cluttering a whole scroll with them, wondering which are for real and need views and which are - whatever they will be - is far too much like hard work.

The more acceptable method of this type would be to have a way of breeding two dragons and producing an infertile egg. There was never a living dragon inside it, so there would be nothing to stop us from poking a hole in the top and bottom and draining the contents and having a nice egg shell for our collection. The downside is it only can be done for dragons that can reproduce (ie no cheese, paper, dinos, neglecteds, etc). (this infertile eggs suggestion is not something I came up with and has a thread somewhere)

That sounds much more manageable. I'll have to find that thread.

Personally, I like the idea of having an fertilized egg, since to me that makes the dragon family complete. It doesn't matter to me that it will never hatch, because in the little fantasy world in my head it's just an egg being taken care of by my adult dragons, no biggy. Then I thought "Ooh nests would be cute!" and here we are. I didn't expect the idea to get a lot of backing but I did want to hear what people have to say about it.

Not sure about the 'nest' idea as a separate location from dragons and frozen hatchlings, but I've voiced wanting a way to save eggs before in other contexts. Mine was that if you hatch enough of a breed, you've collected more than enough eggshells to try to reassemble an egg. This might be encyclopedia-linked - you can't even try until you've 'studied' the dragon enough.

However it happens, I'd rather be able to sort them into my scroll among other sprites than have a separate nest. Players would still have the choice to sort by breed, use as spacers, make a jumble all together, etc. the same way we do with frozen hatchlings. But I'll take a nest if that's the only way to save eggs.

This is what I'd prefer - though by a BSA, as it isn't something I would ever use, and I wouldn't wish to get infertile eggs when trying to carry on lineages. Or the painted rocks suggestion - they look just like eggs but aren't. There's a thread for that too.

I have a concept that involves targeting a dragons with the specific intentions of rendering it likely to be infertile. It does involve some meanness, but the end result is a dragon that can breed sterile eggs (as in no babies at all in them, therefore no killing innocent pixels). Its an idea that I am more than happy to explain and share with other concepts that share similar traits. Its something you would use on something you DON'T want to continue lineages with, as any eggs bred would be instantly marked frozen, and would lose the lineage. My particular option has potential for retired breed eggs to be a thing, but needs a bit more work on mechanics. It also allows for smashing eggs that are not wanted (due to wrong breed or whatever).

As for this idea itself: I dont see why every dragon couldnt have "make nest" as an option. I agree that the nest image itself should be biome based BUT I also agree that the egg needs to be obtained and assigned to that nest.

Heres what I'm thinking:

Dragon female gets "Make Nest" as an option under the breed window (either in the actions page, or as the top slot, above most bred to mate). Dragon makes a nest: breeding cool down goes into effect.

Next breeding window, when you breed that dragon and get an egg, on the screen that lists what you got, you get an action choice:

[back to Actions] [Assign Egg to Nest]

On selecting [Assign egg to nest] the nest sprite is replaced with the egg image, and promptly "frozen". There should be a few layers of warnings, and a password confirmation at least once (though twice should guarentee it doesnt happen on accident...)

The frozen egg from there should then be free to sort to its respective breed or built in sort location, with no lineage attached to it. Should be the NORMAL egg sprite.

It being a two week process per egg is attractive to me, because then you are working for it, much like my twist mentioned above does. I would think that working for it over time, will make it less likely that people are accidently ruining lineages they didnt mean to.

Edited by Thuban

I can't actually buy into a permanent sterility thing; I'd rather have a BSA that could result in an infertile (and instantly frozen) egg. In NAYCHER there are often such things and it's no Huge Thing; the creature just lays another later. And if that happens, I'd also like the choice to put them in a nest badge, so they could be off my main scroll (What am I saying - I wouldn't actually do this !) Oh - AND - the eggs this produced wouldn't count against kill limits. Dunno how to deal with GoNs, but....

And may I just ask the NO KILLY LITTLE THINGIES IN EGGIES brigade if you never eat eggs ? Why is it any worse that there's no chick from that egg than in - say - a BSA where a dragon could suck out the goodness in an egg bred here ? Just wondering if there's a dash of hy-sy here.

I really like this idea, and I think I have an answer to the whole wanting to see the whole sprite. What if you were able to click on the nest and get a sort nest page. You could see the whole sprite there, and perhaps a few areas outside of the nest could allow you to place an egg. This allows you to have the nest look the way you want, and people can click it and instead get a page that shows all the sprites that you collected in that nest.

Well, "make nest" could even be applied to unbreedable things - like papers or dinos. Papers could fold a paper egg for their nest, and cheeses could, well, model an egg from a cheese? Even a GoN could make a nest for a GoN egg... It could also be applied to retired breeds.

Only... what about those male-only holiday breeds, like yulebucks? The males don't have the ability to lay eggs, and even folding and the like are out of the question.

How about having some sort of dragon that has a BSA where it takes the egg shell of a hatched dragon, and put's it back together with a magical spell?