The Holly Contest

The Holly Contest 2016 Dragon Poll

What Dragon Would You Like To Collect This Year  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This year we are having a poll to choose The Holly Contest 2016 dragon!

The five dragons chosen for the poll are:

Nocturne Dragon - "This egg appears to be made of limestone."

The Nocturne was released on January 15, 2010 and is listed as Very Common. It is available in two biomes - Alpine and Forest.

Storm/Grey/Fog Dragon - "This egg is surrounded by fog."

The Storm Dragon was released on June 19, 2007 and is listed as Very Common. It is an older dragon and available in all biomes.

Greater Spotted Drake - "This egg is speckled with rosette-like markings."

The Greater Spotted Drake was released on May 20, 2015 and is listed as Very Common. It is a newer dragon, a drake, and only available in one biome - Forest.

Duotone Dragon - "This egg can’t seem to make up its mind on what color it is."

The Duotone Dragon was released on August 4, 2013 and is listed as Common. It is a two-headed dragon and is available in all biomes.

Striped River Dragon - "A small puddle of condensation has collected under this egg."

The Striped River Dragon was released on March 28, 2015 and is listed as Common. It is a newer dragon and only available in one biome - Forest.

Hopefully there's enough choice to appeal to everyone, feel free to discuss your choice and the reason behind it below. smile.gif

UPDATE: This poll will close Monday, 18 Jan 2016. So if you have not already done so please cast your vote before it closes.

Edited by The Holly Contest

Definitely heavily in favor of Greater Spotted Drakes. They are possibly the worst blocker of all at the moment, and they will likely not improve on their own due to their lack of shiny sprites, inability to be bred with other dragons, and general unpopularity.

Fogs, Nocturnes and Duotones are quite common, but not nearly on the level of some cave blockers (specifically GSDs).

EDIT: Just checked the biomes, didn't see a single one of the other breeds. What I did see three of was GSDs. Telling.

Edited by The_Bucket

I think I see Greater Spotted Drakes in the Cave more often (probably because no one picks up one and it is there for a long time) and I do not see them that often in lineages or planned for lineages compared to the rest. However, Greater Spotted Drakes & Striped River Dragond only drop from the Forest biome.

Nocturne Dragons drop from Alpine & Forest.

Storm Dragons & Duotone Dragons drop from all biomes.

I already voted for the Greater Spotted Drakes, however, I may have chosen Storm or Duotone (Storm>Duotone).

I think them dropping on all biomes makes them a somewhat larger caveblocker than Greater Spotted Drakes that would only block one biome.

I think I see Greater Spotted Drakes in the Cave more often (probably because no one picks up one and it is there for a long time) and I do not see them that often in lineages or planned for lineages compared to the rest. However, Greater Spotted Drakes & Striped River Dragond only drop from the Forest biome.

Nocturne Dragons drop from Alpine & Forest.

Storm Dragons & Duotone Dragons drop from all biomes.

I already voted for the Greater Spotted Drakes, however, I may have chosen Storm or Duotone (Storm>Duotone).

I think them dropping on all biomes makes them a somewhat larger caveblocker than Greater Spotted Drakes that would only block one biome.

I think the reason they are in less lineages is there are less mates to choose. I think the best way to balance drakes out is to release more drakes, hahaha. smile.gif

I agree with Storm and Duotone being the best since they are in all the biomes.

Just wondering: How long will the poll be up for?

I think the reason they are in less lineages is there are less mates to choose. I think the best way to balance drakes out is to release more drakes, hahaha. smile.gif

I agree with Storm and Duotone being the best since they are in all the biomes.

Ah yeah, that makes sense and maybe more will be released this year.

If I could re-do the vote, I think I would pick Storm or Duotone. Duotones are two-headed though, which limits their breeding too. Perhaps because there are more two-headed dragons, I really have not counted.

We want to give everyone a chance to vote so probably two weeks.

Though like previous years any of the chosen dragon you catch will count from 01/Jan/16 So if you want to start collecting any of the above breeds on the chance yours is chosen... *evil laugh*

I'm torn. I want to pick Grays/Storms because I actually like those, but I don't think they are the worst blocker listed...hmm...

I agree that the Greater Spotted Drakes are high up on the blocker list, but I don't want to collect them, because to me they are so fugly xPPP

If someone with a CB Holly offers a 2nd gen as a prize, then yes smile.gif But it's always dependent on the donors.

Voted! I love Storms, voted for those! Although I don't see them that often in the cave.... But I'm still going to vote storm!

Edit:

Now I'm regretting my choice lol, all I see are GSD, and I like those sprites too. But seriously 3 in the forest right now? No thank you -.-

Edited by Clya

I think for the true spirit of the contest that the Storm is the best choice. It is not limited to one biome, is breedable with all dragons (not just certain ones). The GSD's are only blocker in one cave and have limited breeding.

I'm torn. I want to pick Grays/Storms because I actually like those, but I don't think they are the worst blocker listed...hmm...

I agree that the Greater Spotted Drakes are high up on the blocker list, but I don't want to collect them, because to me they are so fugly xPPP

Pick which one YOU would like to do. Part of the reason for doing this is to have fun and enjoy getting these WHILE yes also trying to free up some of those commons.

However, while the thread can not enforce that you keep them once it is over, ideally it is better if they remain on your scroll for long time if not forever. As someone (think it was Ninetails) explained to me, it does not have to be the biggest cave blocker that is chosen. It is also important that with any luck, they will also love and so want to keep even after it is over.

I think for the true spirit of the contest that the Storm is the best choice. It is not limited to one biome, is breedable with all dragons (not just certain ones). The GSD's are only blocker in one cave and have limited breeding.

True! So I think I agree with that and no longer regret my choice xd.png

Plus I love Storms so wub.gif

Personally, the discarded eggs I see most in the AP are the Purple Ridgewings, Coastal Waverunners and Guardians. I'm surprised that they aren't on the list.

Yea I almost listed Guardians, but decided at last minute to list something else. Forget now, would have to dig back to my PM

Voted for Nocturnes, because they sure seem to be blocking wherever I'm hunting! But GSDs would be good, too. Nocturnes come in more biomes, and I like the sprites better, but I'd be up for either one.

I was tempted to vote for Striped Rivers, but on reflection I think they're just too new to be a real problem yet. Plus, only one biome = less blockage potential to begin with. (And, frankly, I really really like them; I'd be delighted to collect a boatload of them! But that is a quality precisely opposed to the definition of a caveblocker.)

I think Storms are actually pretty popular? I don't see them hanging around the biomes for minutes or hours at a time, anyway, and when I see them in the AP it's usually bred ones, not discarded CBs. (I note a number of people have chimed in here along the lines of, 'I like them!', too!)

Edited by sorenna

I personally think that if a dragon is only in one biome it isn't much of a cave blocker so I went for one that is in more than one.

Sorry I know that other people might not agree with theory but that is the way I feel. biggrin.gif

Edited by Paige201208

I personally think that if a dragon is only in one biome it isn't much of a cave blocker so I went for one that is in more than one.

Sorry I know that other people might not agree with theory but that is the way I feel. biggrin.gif

I understand the people who feel this way, but think of a hypothetical situation where three GSDs are in the Forest, and another where three Greys are distributed through the biomes. In the first situation, people are completely unable to hunt in Forest without picking up the GSDs. In the second situation, every other biome has one slot blocked, and those slots have a far greater chance of being picked up than the GSDs since almost no one actually grabs GSDs.

If Forest is completely blocked (which it often is), then what about people who need a specific dragon that only drops there, such as a Chrono Xenowyrm or a Leetle Tree? In my opinion that makes it far more severe than occasional minor blockage in all biomes (which there always will be), because for people who are hunting in all biomes, they will still see many non-blockers. For people hunting in specific biomes, no biome has nearly as severe a blocker as GSDs from my experience, so non-blocker breeds will still be regularly seen.

tl;dr: GSDs are a very severe and targeted problem. Others like Greys might have a broader impact, but it is far less concentrated and therefore less problematic.

To the people saying they would not want to collect GSDs because they are ugly, I have no counter-argument for that besides this: The way I see it, The Holly Contest is at least in part providing a community service to DC. If I was a Holly donor (I don't have any nice lines, but if I was), I wouldn't want to give a valuable once-a-year offspring as a reward for having fun. Obviously that's a big part of it, but what I would want to reward is the spirit of dedication to cleaning up DC. Finally, I would be far more likely to participate in a community clean-up event with cool prizes than a collect-em-all funfest.

Just my thoughts.

Hm, I was planning on joining in this year, but I don't really care much for the selection :\ I wish everybody good luck, though; it sure is interesting sometimes to watch people trading for commons. Quite refreshing, actually; I think you guys are doing a great thing <3

Pick which one YOU would like to do. Part of the reason for doing this is to have fun and enjoy getting these WHILE yes also trying to free up some of those commons.

However, while the thread can not enforce that you keep them once it is over, ideally it is better if they remain on your scroll for long time if not forever. As someone (think it was Ninetails) explained to me, it does not have to be the biggest cave blocker that is chosen. It is also important that with any luck, they will also love and so want to keep even after it is over.

Works for me smile.gif My vote is for grays <3

And yeah, I always leave them on my scroll regardless of breed. My rule of thumb is, unless it is inbred, anything that reaches adulthood on my scroll stays on my scroll [i freeze inbreds before they grow, so they don't usually go anywhere once hatched either].

Personally, the discarded eggs I see most in the AP are the Purple Ridgewings, Coastal Waverunners and Guardians. I'm surprised that they aren't on the list.

This is a good point.

Purple Ridgewings or Coastal Waverunners would be good.

Personally I'm hoping that the Drakes get picked because I haven't seen any storms in the cave (or the abandoned page) recently... And that would make them pretty hard to track down.

Personally I'm hoping that the Drakes get picked because I haven't seen any storms in the cave (or the abandoned page) recently... And that would make them pretty hard to track down.

Really? I've seen a good amount of storms in the cave. Not in the AP for either drakes nor storms.

I don't know that I'll participate in this years contest (haven't in any previous, but I may offer eggs for winners), but I chose the Storm/Gray dragon because it doesn't get the love it deserves. happy.gif

I picked the GSDs, only because they are not really wanted right now.